Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still get newspapers delivered at home?
Yes, and I read it everyday 335 65.05%
Yes, but I don't bother reading it 73 14.17%
No. Internet is my news source. 107 20.78%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2018, 22:30   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you still get newspapers delivered at home?

I was introduced to the daily newspaper habit/addiction by my parents, in my early childhood. I'd been reading a Malayalam one (since my parents were of a particular political persuasion, we'd get only their official newspaper) daily probably ever since I could identify the letters of the language. English newspapers were inaccessible in my childhood.

All that changed when The Indian Express started a Kochi edition. We then had an English newspaper delivered in the mornings. Even today I distinctly remember the first day's main headline - the tragedy at the Jagannatha Temple, Thalassery (A link I could find that also helped me date the event: http://articles.latimes.com/1986-03-..._express-train).

My love affair with the Indian Express continued throughout my adolescence to my early youth - I even lobbied in my hostel to have it as part of our community newspaper schedule. I sort of switched to ToI while still in Mumbai - primarily for the cryptic crossword syndicated from the Daily Mail, another habit I picked up during my undergrad days that has stuck with me even today - and to the Hindu once I shifted to Hyderabad. The latter has stayed with me till date.

I get my daily fix delivered at around 7 AM (which means it is no longer the early morning habit) and read them (I get The Hindu and Mathrubhumi) throughout the next couple of hours in bits and pieces. Bulk of the reading happens at the breakfast table, a habit that I have had for 30+ years and one that I do not foresee leaving me ever in my life.
Old 11th July 2018, 23:26   #107
BHPian

While on the topic of news papers - I do want them to thrive in this online world. After the elections I came to the stark realization that there is no such thing as a free lunch and free news. I want news from a journalist who cares about his reputation, and his job. News geared towards getting clicks on ads just don't cut it. Even though I read most news online, I read it from sources that I have a paid subscription for. When I read a good article, I make a mental note of the journalist, and the sources he uses. LA times has an option to get e-newspaper, with regular paper news on Sundays, I really like this option. Love my Sunday LA times! My weekend ritual.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th July 2018 at 15:55. Reason: Rule #11.
Old 11th July 2018, 23:30   #108

We stopped our Times of India(TOI) news paper subscriptions back in 2016. I was too introduced to daily newspaper reading by my parents to back in 1992.

After 24 years of non-stop subscription we felt we are hardly getting time to read it daily. On top of it news paper usually print a day old news where as same news in their websites are available almost immediately. So we thought why waste paper and environment.

I usually use google news or once in while e-paper edition to read editorials. For books.. I just borrow them from library or read them on my laptop.
Old 12th July 2018, 08:07   #109
BHPian

Yes, I read the newspaper daily.

At home, we get Dainik Jagran for daily local news and TOI only when I'm home for vacations as no one else has time to read two newspapers. At hostel, I read TOI everyday for almost an hour everyday as I'm planning to appear in UPSC exam after my MBBS.

The reason I got into reading newspapers was the Garfield and Archie's comic strips I loved in TOI when I was in class 5 and I've been hooked to them ever since then. And they have helped me to participate in various quizzes and reach at national level at a few of them. So I have an attachment to newspapers which I cannot explain to others. I believe that even though we get the news way more quickly from internet, the depth and content that a newspaper provides is unmatched for them. Newspapers give the real in-depth understanding of the news while internet is better for skimming through it when in a hurry. So instead of replacing one with the other, both go hand in hand.

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2018 at 08:21.
Old 12th July 2018, 09:51   #110
BHPian

https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/Rea...le23408537.ece

https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/Rea...le14998990.ece

These are couple of links which could clarify us in somewhat certain terms that internet news consumption from aggregators is not a favourable trend. Breaking news should not be consumed. Breaking news consumption is as dangerous as living on Red bull instead of plain water. Yes plain water is tasteless when compared any beverage but that is the essence of life. I wish the Newspapers don't disappear, at-least in my lifetime.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

Yes I have been getting newspapers delivered at home for more than 60 years. We get Hindustan Times and Times of India. Everybody in the house reads them - a few interesting pages at least. The most read are the Sunday reviews and editorials.

Some NEWS is better on the TV or the NET, but nothing beats leisurely reading news paper with a cup of tea accompanying it.
Old 12th July 2018, 14:40   #112
BHPian

I read TOI (e-paper) every day, it is one of the first things I do after reaching my office. I have been reading TOI since 2003, but due to non-availability of leisure time (read convenience), I switched to the e-paper some five years back.
Old 12th July 2018, 15:46   #113
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Like many of us here, I was introduced to the joys of newspaper reading by my parents at an early age although it really caught on only after I finished college. Loved (and still love) doing the daily crosswords. We subscribe to both Deccan Herald and The Hindu and I read both newspapers, DH with coffee and Hindu with breakfast. The morning doesn't start if the newspaper boy hasn't delivered DH. I can make do without Hindu but never without DH.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pass on this particular habit to my daughter who rarely bothers about the news, whether on paper or TV or online. She (and most of her friends and classmates) lives on her mobile with whatever news she manages to gather coming via apps. News Minute or something like that. I do have Flipboard on my iPad and go through it occasionally, but not daily.
Old 12th July 2018, 17:08   #114
Senior - BHPian

This thread also reminds of the the news magazines. How many people subscribe to them / get them home?

I remember the magazine Frontline.
Each and every article in it used to be so in depth - is it the same today also?

Last edited by alpha1 : 12th July 2018 at 17:10.
Old 12th July 2018, 17:18   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
This thread also reminds of the the news magazines. How many people subscribe to them / get them home?

I remember the magazine Frontline.
Each and every article in it used to be so in depth - is it the same today also?
Big fan of Frontline here. At least IMO, they have more or less maintained their Quality, which isn't surprising as it's published by the same group which prints The Hindu. Frontline was the only decent magazine that libraries could afford to subscribe to, at a time when others like Time, Economist, Forbes etc. were prohibitively expensive.

Another old favourite of mine was the The Illustrated Weekly of India, which unfortunately winded up long back.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 12th July 2018, 20:17   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
THE HINDU
Thanks for bringing up this topic. To answer the actual question : No, since I've moved away from my hometown, I've moved away from the actual newspaper.
There's only one reason for that. Nothing feels like reading "The Hindu".
Now I rely upon Google news which I filtered down not to report most of the junk that hits us by default.

I grew up reading it and the day when they changed from ink to color is still etched fresh in my mind. Wow, nostalgic memories are really nice to get lost in.
Every time when I used to travel to my hometown from Pune, I used to get down in Vijayawada trying to spot someone who has "The Hindu"

Sadly, like many other good things, it looks like newspapers will soon be a thing of the past.
I'm still sort of old-school and buy a nice paperback whenever I find one. Nothing beats the joy of sitting down and reading a book, slowly turning the pages, getting lost in thought and then coming back to it.
In a world where fast and instant are the norm, I'd say we need this to bring us back to the ground.
I think I've gone off-topic there, but couldn't resist writing it down. Thanks again.
Old 12th July 2018, 22:04   #117
BHPian

Most newspapers and media have an agenda and that's something doesn't go down well with me. However, before leaving Bangalore - I did get The Hindu, The New Indian Express, Business Standard every day.

Here in Toronto they are bloody expensive, with the usual ads everywhere. Most of my news is through Google News now. However, maybe I will get a subscription whenever there is a good deal on, so on the lookout for the same.
Old 12th July 2018, 23:27   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Couldn't help chiming in again. There is a value of the print publication that takes time to savour over the digitized content that seems more clinical. There was a great deal of value when as a child magazines like Life, Time, Illustrated Weekly of India came home on loan from the circulating library and were devoured by the family. My father took the trouble of opening the magazines and explaining to us kids what was going on, what was Lyndon Johnson doing in Vietnam, what the famines in Vidharba meant and so on. Today I read professional material on the net but when the weekly Economist magazine comes along few things can beat the charm of reading it on the throne.
Old 13th July 2018, 00:20   #119
Team-BHP Support

aah yes, nostalgia. We used to read lots of magazines (thanks to "circulating library") :

Frontline
Sunday (remember this one?)
Illustrated Weekly
The Week
India Today

Sudha (Kannada)
Taranga (kannada)
Women's Era (for Mom, but I used to read just one page -> "The incident I cannot forget" )
We also subscribed to National Geographic & Business India

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th July 2018 at 00:25.
Old 13th July 2018, 01:28   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Some NEWS is better on the TV or the NET, but nothing beats leisurely reading news paper with a cup of tea accompanying it.
It is interesting that the Admin allows you to say "you enjoy your newspaper with your tea", but when I say I enjoy my newspaper with my afternoon beer, the beer part is edited out for me, as a violation of rule #11

With all due respect, Beer is a fine substitute drink for adults, I drink it with lunch even on a work day.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 13th July 2018 at 01:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks