Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2018, 15:23   #16
BHPian

re: The best business magazines & publications

I find Mint from Hindustan times really good. No ads and good selection of articles.
Old 1st October 2018, 13:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Started reading the Ken recently and am pretty impressed with the depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Love the-ken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by determinism View Post
Checkout The Ken - https://the-ken.com/. I'm one of their earliest subscribers. In my opinion there is none to match their quality of business journalism in India now.
Reading so many recommendations about The Ken from fellow members, I decided to check the website out. Read the summary for their news pieces and it got me interested. I registered as a free user and got access to a few free-to-read stories and I was totally blown away! Such insightful and detailed research on any topic is nearly unheard for regular business publications in India (ET, BS and the likes).

Now this free membership also gave access to summary of the daily stories delivered right in email. Everything was going well, The Ken felt like utopia until something disconcerting happened.

Reading the summary for their stories brought out some obvious inferences. The Ken does not like Aadhaar. They believe it breaches privacy, government is creating a surveillance state and the likes. They also believe that Baba Ramdev promoted Patanjali is the only copycat in FMCG industry, Baba Ramdev himself is a billionaire and what not.

The least I expect from any publication is unbiased view. Something that The Ken doesn't indicate. For eg., knowing that their team is decidedly against Aadhaar, on articles related to it, I can't be sure if the story has been researched without any bias. I find this discomforting.

So after seriously contemplating at getting the annual subscription in order to do my tiny bit for promoting good and honest publications, I have held off at the last moment. Hopefully, things will change and then I'll be more than happy to pay for a subscription.
Old 3rd October 2018, 07:50   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some thoughts after taking the Business Standard + Wall Street Journal subscription. It's totally worth it, but because of the WSJ pack bundled in. Am finding business-standard above average at best.

In India, the only two places consistently churning out quality stuff are Team-BHP and the-ken.com. With the-ken, I find 75 - 80% of their articles just amazing (and a lot of them I learn new stuff from).

At the global level, my benchmark is NYTimes. Big fan. Voracious reader of their business & tech articles. A level below are WSJ, The Economist, Wired, Fortune, Forbes etc. Am regular on all of these. Off & on, Time.com has outstanding long-form articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If you want something done right, do it yourself
Hahaha - good one. But Team-BHP takes up all my time man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I find Mint from Hindustan times really good. No ads and good selection of articles.
Yes, have off & on come across some good stuff on Mint. Also, the Caravan's reportage series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
So after seriously contemplating at getting the annual subscription in order to do my tiny bit for promoting good and honest publications, I have held off at the last moment. Hopefully, things will change and then I'll be more than happy to pay for a subscription.
Buddy, I don't agree a 100% with the views of NYTimes, or even those of BHPians on Team-BHP. That doesn't mean I stop reading them!!! You have clearly appreciated a lot of the-ken's attributes, so go ahead. In the car world too, every model has an equal number of likes & dislikes .

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2018 at 07:53.
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:19   #19
BHPian

I dont read any of these publications. But I never miss a post from Morgan Housel.
( https://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/) I am a big fan of Morgan. Pure class. And its free.
Old 29th April 2019, 11:11   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some more thoughts out here after trying them all. None of the Indian business magazines offer consistently good quality. From edition to edition, it is a hit or miss. One can see how declining ad revenues + circulation is affecting their content quality. Forbes India is an embarrassment...absolute junk. If I had to pick one, it would be Fortune.

I've also come to realise that you have to pay $$$ for good content (e.g. the-ken).

The best business reading in order of priority:

- Bloomberg Businessweek. Subscription costs a steep $39 a month. Expensive, but worth it IMHO. You'd be hard-pressed to read a single long-form Bloomberg Businessweek article that isn't absolutely top class. I learn so much from their write-ups that I reference the $39 / month as "tuition fees".

- NYTimes. A steal at Rs. 200 / month.

- Wall Street Journal (got it for 2000 / year through Business Standard). But WSJ is like a level or two behind the quality of writing at Bloomberg & NYTimes.

Someone should really start a Team-BHP for Indian business.
Old 29th April 2019, 11:21   #21
Team-BHP Support

Hmm. I discovered that I'm allergic to paying for content.

Quote:
- Bloomberg Businessweek. Subscription costs a steep $39 a month. Expensive, but worth it IMHO. You'd be hard-pressed to read a single long-form Bloomberg Businessweek article that isn't absolutely top class. I learn so much from their write-ups that I reference the $39 / month as "tuition fees".
Subscribe to BloombergQuint.com instead - desi version of Bloomberg Businessweek.

1) Some 50% articles from Bloomberg Businessweek show up on Bloomberg Quint
2) Costs just Rs. 700 per month (or Rs. 5000 for 24 months)
3) You get access to Indian business articles
4) Run by Raghav Bahl (ex-promoter of CNBC TV18)
Old 29th April 2019, 11:55   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some more thoughts out here after trying them all. None of the Indian business magazines offer consistently good quality.
Try Apple News subscription. Works if you have a US/ Canadian store account.
Old 29th April 2019, 14:21   #23
BHPian

Is there an iPhone App for Bloomberg Quint? I can see an app for The Quint, but I don't think they are the same?
Old 30th April 2019, 06:43   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Subscribe to BloombergQuint.com instead - desi version of Bloomberg Businessweek.

1) Some 50% articles from Bloomberg Businessweek show up on Bloomberg Quint
Just searched for the last 5 great articles I read on Bloomberg Businessweek, and none of them were there on Bloomberg Quint :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Try Apple News subscription. Works if you have a US/ Canadian store account.
Meaning? Apple News subscription to access Bloomberg Businessweek? How much?
Old 30th April 2019, 08:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Meaning? Apple News subscription to access Bloomberg Businessweek? How much?
I believe it’s part of apple subscription.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloo...iption-service
Old 4th May 2019, 16:24   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I believe it’s part of apple subscription.
Much appreciated .

I dug a bit deeper and found a better deal. Click here for 50 issues + digital access to Bloomberg Businessweek for $100 a year (or ~600 rupees a month). Cancelling my $39 / month plan for this.
Old 4th May 2019, 18:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

No mention of Forbes India and Fortune India? I love their articles, especially their long-form ones.

Here's their latest on Royal Enfield, for eg:

Royal Enfield: Silver bullet
[With five straight months of falling sales, Royal Enfield's decade-old dream run has come to a screeching halt. Here's how Siddhartha Lal plans to get the Bullet maker firing on all cylinders again]
Old 7th May 2019, 12:41   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
No mention of Forbes India and Fortune India? I love their articles, especially their long-form ones.
Fortune India is good sometimes, average sometimes. I feel Forbes' quality has fallen behind where it used to be. And neither of them can hold a candle to the quality of long-form articles on Bloomberg or NYTimes. That level of writing is just .

Since you are also a lover of long-form, I'm going to share two links with you which will change your life .

Indepth stories

Longform

Check these indexes at least once a week and bookmark the articles that interest you. Enjoy!
Old 7th May 2019, 13:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you are also a lover of long-form, I'm going to share two links with you which will change your life .

Indepth stories

Longform

Check these indexes at least once a week and bookmark the articles that interest you. Enjoy!
Wow, why had I never thought of Reddit! Thank you!

I used to sometimes use https://longform.org/, but Reddit will definitely have the more popular ones.
Old 15th July 2020, 10:04   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wanted to put in a good word for Outlook Business. I found their writing quality to be the best among Indian business publications, although still "strictly good". No one in India produces business content like the greats - Bloomberg Businessweek, NYTimes & Fortune USA.

Forbes India does have some flash in the pan moments, but not consistently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks