Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2007, 13:15   #1
BHPian

How To transport a Bike from PUNE to TRICHUR??

hello folks,
First of all Happy New Year Wishes to all fellow T-bhpians

I need to get my bike in Pune down to Trichur in Kerala and am looking at various Cargo services.
Which one do u ppl suggests- Railway cargo or Courier services???
Regardin Courier services i tried DTDC and ABT but they said they don take vehicle cargos.Does anybody know any better services??Also does anybody know webiste of VRL [Vijayanand Roadlines] or a contact number of same in any district of KErala??
Old 1st January 2007, 13:18   #2
BHPian

Hi
I transported my bike from delhi to pune by aggarwal transport and that was one of the biggest mistakes i did!
The bike was a mess when i got it, deep scratches on the body and the alloy.
Try railways, it will be better on the whole as a truck moves a lot wrt to a train. better still, ride it, seriously

b/w, which bike?
Old 1st January 2007, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the reply Bunnypunia,
The bike is a 98 Yamaha RX 135
Btw is the cargo transport by Railways complicated??Heard many complaints bout the cargo reaching some other place or station thn intended....
Old 1st January 2007, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Railways is cheaper & faster but you have to drop the vehicle at the railway station, complete the formalities and again pick up from the station at the destination.
If you try the courier sevices, pickup will from your home & drop will at your home at destination. But charges are higher.
Old 1st January 2007, 13:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

A private tempo would do it...but would be expensive and maybe a little risky too by road....the safer option is railway but pickup and drop would be from your side and a bit of paper work.
Old 1st January 2007, 14:16   #6
BHPian

hmmm letme check wit da courier services n railways once more.....havin a pvt tempo is gonna be way too costly.....thanks for the reply guys....
Old 1st January 2007, 17:39   #7
BHPian

rx 135 - - hmm, then you dont have to worry about body damage (as compared to the likes of the karizma and all)
And coz not many trains end at trichur, you will have to make sure the bike comes out of the train when the train halts at trichur, which will be a game of a few minutes i think.
try normal transport services, but then dont expect the bike in less than 7 days (my case, aggarwal transport, quite a big company took more than 7 days for del to pune)
Old 1st January 2007, 18:43   #8
BHPian

Try Chetak Logistics in Pune. I have first hand experice with them and I got my vehicle without a single scratch. They are pretty reasonable too.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:57   #9
BHPian

Send it via Railways. Or better still book it with ur ticket in case you are also going in a Train.
It will be cheap if u quote a reasonable amount. Also if you book it on your ticket then there should not be any delays. Also get the vehicle covered up properly and empty the petrol tank totally. Also get some person ( normally out side the parcel section ) to put enough hay on your seat and headlight etc. Also if you want extra care then you can remove the indicators.
Hope you also have the main stand in your bike.
Old 3rd January 2007, 23:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have used ABT from Kochi to Chennai and back. Was pretty reasonable and reached fast. Charged me about 1000RS.
Old 3rd January 2007, 23:46   #11
BHPian

go with the railways...
there is no trouble with them
just remember to get off that station and tell the guard to open the cargo gates.
Old 4th January 2007, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you have a direct train from pune to trichur, nothing like it. make sure you pack up the bike well & put it in the luggage van on the same day that you take the train. if there is no direct train, get ABT or Southern Roadways, if they are available or contact the more reputed ones & send it through them. howver you decide to send it, make sure that the tank is empty & all the painted parts are well covered & protected. remove the side mirrors. leave only the front brakes open. cover everything else.
i am speaking from experience.
cheers
Old 4th January 2007, 16:12   #13
BANNED

hari_rama, your best bet is with Indian Railways. As esteem_lover has said, nothing better than a direct train. it is best if you travel along with the bike.

If you have a confirmed ticket, take the bike to the station 2 hours before train departure. Make sure the bike has a maximum of 1/2 litre of petrol in it. You would get a parcel booking receipt - don't remember the charge though.

Get hold of one of the packing guys, take off the mirrors and watch him pack the bike. You'll have to pay him for the packing and a tip to the parcel office man will ensure your bike goes on the train first.

This is important to ensure that the bike is not unloaded enroute to unload something else.

At the destination station, tip the guy when he unloads your bike. Also be prepared to tip the person at the parcel office at the destination station.

Reinstall the mirrors and you're set to go (assuming you've carried your helmet with you!).

Remember to thank the people who pack, load and unload. The tip will not come down but your bike will get that extra attention and care.

I've done this once in 1997 and the packing cost me Rs. 200 and tips were Rs. 20 each. The charges will obviously be more today but they are absolutely worth it.

I would advise against private courier. Why not plan a ride from Pune to Thrissur?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks