Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2018, 15:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: IKEA stores in India

If these are electric rickshaws, why is the driver (in the video) pulling up on the lever to start it like in a Petrol/CNG/LPG powered Bajaj RE rickshaw?

It would be very good if they use Electric Rickshaws in reality as it will help curb pollution in the city and reduce vehicular noise as well. Also, their Charging Points will help the users of electric vehicles to charge their vehicles while they go shopping in the store, even though for a fee.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 10th August 2018 at 15:54.
Old 10th August 2018, 16:55   #17
PVS
BHPian

I work pretty close by IKEA store (Raheja Mindspace). It was a nightmare yesterday(9th August 2018). The store opening along with the incessant rains, threw traffic out of gear, and the whole of Hitec city area and the surrounding areas, Madhapur et al were choc-a-bloc. I was lucky to have reached home, dent free in around 2.5 hours, a 20km-commute, which normally takes around 1 hour even if I start in the peak hours of 06:45 pm.

The thing is IKEA built up the anticipation with its hoardings and billboards all over, and people were very curious to see what IKEA really is. A similar situation was witnessed a few months ago, when the Hyderabad Metro was launched. After the initial few months, footfalls were back to normal. Something similar will happen at IKEA as well.

I would wait for sometime before setting foot there. Having been to multiple IKEA stores in my stay in the US, I think I can wait a bit to relive the IKEA experience.
Old 10th August 2018, 17:02   #18
BHPian

Phew, this is absolutely crazy! I am sure most of the "tourists" are there to just hang around and not actually buy anything if it is their first visit. I have been following IKEA since 30 years now and have been in the US stores. For anyone who may have seen it online or thru word of mouth will certainly want to experience it LIVE.

I guess over the weekend they may have to impose a curfew! But then we in our country have not been exposed to such stores in that dimensions and hence the curiosity gets the better and all want to have a sneak peak.

God bless the IKEA staff and the cops on the road over this weekend

It is shameful to watch the video, people are really mad and uncivilized

Last edited by sumathindra : 10th August 2018 at 17:08. Reason: edits
Old 11th August 2018, 12:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Forget the traffic jams - it was quite a sad sight to see people behave like a heard of sheep through the counters - seen pushing and creating havoc to everyone around when the queues opened up!
For a moment there, I thought it was Thirumala - jostling to catch a glimpse of the Lord on vaikuntha ekaadashi...

Ah, now I get it - trying to catch a glimpse of Lord Ikea on Ikea jayanthi

PS: To be taken on a lighter note; don't mean any offense to any group(s).
Old 11th August 2018, 14:24   #20
BHPian

Guys, Relax. It's a general human tendency to flock together to observe something new. We're the second populous country and so the huge crowds are pretty obvious.

I don't think there's any need to go about bashing our brethren about how uncivilized they are or how badly they parked. It's not as if we're a whole different people on the other days following a queue and what-not
Let's not remind ourselves how our "educated" friends are like in the US and elsewhere, say on a Black friday

On another note it's not uncommon for Ikea to draw large crowds. The below link is just one example.

https://abc7.com/business/new-burban...ening/1743767/
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 15:03   #21
BHPian

2 pages and no post on the actual selection of furniture they have on display ?

On par with other countries / not as per the international IKEA standard ??

Comments from anyone who actually visited it ?
Old 11th August 2018, 15:15   #22
BHPian

Why the mad rush to see mediocre furniture ?
Guess the crowd doesn’t realize most of the stuff is DIY ( do it yourself ) .
Old 11th August 2018, 15:23   #23
BHPian

I just came back from the Ikea store, entered at 10:44 am to buy breakfast actually because Uber Eats wasn't delivering.

The food is actually absolutely fantastic and cheap, this much for Rs.224:

IKEA stores in India-img_20180811_110138.jpg

The coffee was good as a starbucks and meatballs and croissants were heavenly.

Selection of products is really mind blowing and the quality appears to be good not the cheap chinese studd. Prices at least to me appeared to be low to cheap, I'm not sure how long this stuff will last but on inspection they do appear to be well made.

Wooden Almirah for Rs.14,990
IKEA stores in India-21.jpg

Complete Kitchen for Rs. 2L including installation
IKEA stores in India-24.jpg

Rug for Rs.2,990
IKEA stores in India-25.jpg

I didn't intend to buy anything but breakfast but after failing to find the exit multiple times finally ended up buying some bedsheets

I see someone has said its DIY (do it yourself) assembly furniture, but in India they offer assembly although for an extra charge.

Last edited by Foxbat : 11th August 2018 at 15:24.
Foxbat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 16:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sidin Vadukut's advice to IKEA shoppers:

https://www.thequint.com/amp/story/v...ea-store-india
Old 11th August 2018, 17:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith1830 View Post
Guess the crowd doesn’t realize most of the stuff is DIY ( do it yourself ) .
- IKEA is aware of this and has tied up for after sales with URBAN CLAP and others, will be in the process educating Indians on DIY concept.

- IKEA Online shopping in 2019 ( IKEA Vs Amazon)

- Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai....( 25 stores by 2025)

- Not yet break-even but have a strategy in place.

Old 11th August 2018, 21:21   #26
BHPian

I was planning to visit since last 2 days and had actually planned to reach store at 10 am before opening today and dropped the plans after checking with a friend who stays closeby . The store had heavy crowd waiting since 8.30 am . I will visit maybe after a month after all this madness ends .
Old 11th August 2018, 21:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

What is the reason for this rush ? I think it is just doesn't make any sense unless they are distributing stuff for free. Am I being naive ?
Old 11th August 2018, 23:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
What is the reason for this rush ? I think it is just doesn't make any sense unless they are distributing stuff for free. Am I being naive ?
This is all normal for us Hyderabad'is . Such situations happen at every signal - irrespective of the light (green, orange or red), every Friday when a new movie gets released - irrespective of how good/bad the movie might be, at any new pub/ lounge - irrespective of how good/bad the place and the food might be. People just rushing, as if their life depends on it. I think it is has to do with all the biriyani's and spicy food we eat here
Old 12th August 2018, 02:10   #29
BHPian

It's quite understandable that people are excited to see an IKEA store. What I cannot fathom is that people would actually be ready to go to a store in such conditions!

It's sheer madness. Also I pity the staff as well as children who have been subjected to such horrific conditions. If we treat ourselves this way, don't know how can we complain about the traffic or public transport being crowded.

P.S. Don't like their food, it's utterly bland; their chocolates though are amazing!
Old 12th August 2018, 09:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't look like IKEA brought their high quality stuff which you see in their Dubai and Singapore stores to India. These look pretty ordinary!

Anyways, as you rightly point out, the IKEA breakfast is remarkable and is quite easy on the wallet!!! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
The food is actually absolutely fantastic and cheap, this much for Rs.224Attachment 1789252

Last edited by theMAG : 12th August 2018 at 16:06. Reason: Quote tag fixed.

Most Viewed