Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:20   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: IKEA stores in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Have heard a lot of hype about IKEA but hoping it's not a damp squib!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The elegant looking functional designs at reasonable prices of IKEA items can turn you into a shopoholic. And if you are even half good with DIY, you can put everything up in no time. Worth a visit for sure.
Very true. Let me describe my very first visit to an Ikea store, more than a decade ago. I was looking for a laptop table/stand and came across this model called 'Dave' which was sold in Ikea. Of course, I hadn't heard about the brand before and there was no way to get it. A few months later, I and a couple of buddies went on a backpacking trip to Singapore and Malaysia. On a whim, I found that there was an Ikea store in Kaula Lampur, and dragged my friends along. It was across the town from our hotel but we were just sightseeing. I still didn't know about the size of the store or what else does Ikea offer. Went inside with the plan to buy just the small table worth around 1k and go back, but we ended up spending over 15k amongst the three of us. If not for the small baggage allowance of our cheap flight ticket, the damage would have been much higher. So beware!
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:24   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
If you're setting up a new home or renovating yours, an IKEA visit is highly recommended. Also if you are ready to throw out old things and replace them with new items, you should visit. But otherwise, you'll be tempted to buy things that you won't need. The elegant looking functional designs at reasonable prices of IKEA items can turn you into a shopoholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
To answer whether it is worth it or not, if you have a list of items to buy, then yes worth it. For aimless browsing and picking up useless things that you buy but don't need, not worth it.
Thanks guys! We do need to replace some furniture at our house in Goa. Mom has been fussing over it for the longest. Perhaps a visit to the Ikea store is in order now. Will make sure to not abuse my credit card
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:03   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Me and my friend are planning to start about same time (or little earlier) to Hyderabad, main purpose is Ikea and Paradise biriyani
Weather update : It's raining heavily in Hyderabad and nearby areas now. Please drive safe. I have got a hand injury and my trip is postponed for a few days. Maybe next weekend, but I am definitely going
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:08   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Weather update : It's raining heavily in Hyderabad and nearby areas now. Please drive safe. I have got a hand injury and my trip is postponed for a few days. Maybe next weekend, but I am definitely going
We too have postponed the trip due to the rains, did not want to take chance of going there and returning empty-handed as the area around Ikea is prone to flooding. Maybe in the upcoming weeks.
Old 5th August 2021, 13:32   #95
BHPian

Update: Did a Bangalore-Hyderabad trip just for IKEA over last weekend. Roads were in very good condition. Also IKEA were running some good offers. Load the car up to the brim and came back on Monday. Few heavy items were booked through courier present inside IKEA store itself, just after checkout.
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 08:47   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Was checking google maps for something: and found a label for "Ikea Bangalore Site office".

This is in Nagasandra, Tumkur road - between the NICE road jn and the start of the elevated road. Looking at that stretch of road, location looks suitable. Will check that point next time I head there.

https://goo.gl/maps/Fwkadif3WMpdUNrS8
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:15   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was checking google maps for something: and found a label for "Ikea Bangalore Site office".

This is in Nagasandra, Tumkur road - between the NICE road jn and the start of the elevated road. Looking at that stretch of road, location looks suitable. Will check that point next time I head there.

I think the first IKEA store in Bangalore would be at the lower ground floor of VR mall, adjacent to Phoenix mall. I know for a fact that the lower floor of this mall has been completely vacated and I think some interior work is going on as well. I think this store would open up most probably by March or April 2022. IKEA May eventually have a one or two of their massive stores on the outskirts of the city, but they are also looking at smaller stores in certain malls in Bangalore. I think this is the right strategy since they then start becoming more accessible.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:52   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Yes, This place is right behind Nagasandra Metro station. That real estate is kept empty for more than 5 years now. Looking at the map there seems to be a structure now.
Attached Thumbnails
IKEA stores in India-ikea.png  

Old 27th October 2021, 11:59   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

IKEA's full format store (500K SFT) will open in Summer 2022 with a dedicated connection to Nagasandra Metro station. A smaller store (100K SFT) is also opening in Whitefield.

https://trak.in/tags/business/2021/0...r-a-new-store/
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 22:25   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

IKEA to open store in Bengaluru on June 22.

The 460,000 sq ft IKEA store at Nagasandra would feature over 7,000 furnishing products. The store would have a children’s play area, ‘Småland’, along with a 1,000-seat restaurant and a bistro serving a mix of Swedish and Indian delicacies.

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th June 2022 at 22:27.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 23:12   #101
BHPian

I hope to not upset Ikea loyalists. I generally support cost effective, functional designs. I have bought ikea furniture for a decade, before I developed an interest in hardwood. I think most people would want these trendy designs. Truth is pretty much everything at Ikea is particle board, MDF. Sawdust, glue, and color paper. Designs from Sweden, built where they can find cheap labor, to last a short while, hoping they return again, soon to replace with another ikea product.

I just want to urge people to consider products made from hard wood. These last generations. They can be refinished, repurposed, renewed, & they last forever. If you also end up supporting a local carpenter, it's even better. If you can't find affordable hardwood, get Indian plywood and support your local carpenter. You can even be inspired by the Ikea designs, and ask them to build functionally similar things.

The USA allowed itself to destroy locally built furniture industry, let the small commercial carpenter perish. Hardwood is for ultra rich, for the rest, it's a lot of cheap use and throw furniture that will not last 1 apartment move. Even if Americans want to find a local carpenter, they don't exist, or they are unaffordable.

When I build furniture from fine hardwood people expect it at Ikea prices, instead of bargaining, I give it away for free. I can do this because it's a timepass hobby for me, but I feel for the local carpenter.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 4th June 2022 at 23:16.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 08:36   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I hope to not upset Ikea loyalists.

I just want to urge people to consider products made from hard wood. These last generations. They can be refinished, repurposed, renewed, & they last forever. If you also end up supporting a local carpenter, it's even better. If you can't find affordable hardwood, get Indian plywood and support your local carpenter. You can even be inspired by the Ikea designs, and ask them to build functionally similar things.
Completely agree! And if you are someone who shift houses frequently, better to avoid IKEA pieces. Though they are supposed to be high on DIY, it doesn’t stay intact after dismantling and reassembling. We visit IKEA more for their household items and those are quite awesome and not too expensive; furniture I normally look elsewhere.
vb-saan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 09:58   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I hope to not upset Ikea loyalists. I generally support cost effective, functional designs.
I just want to urge people to consider products made from hard wood. These last generations. They can be refinished, repurposed, renewed, & they last forever. If you also end up supporting a local carpenter, it's even better.
+1 and +1 again. We need to support the local carpenter, the local kirana shop, the local eatery, the local book shop and such others each of which is being utterly demolished by the likes of Amazon, IKEA, Zomato etc. Mind you the business model of at least Amazon and Zomato/Swiggy like Uber/Ola is painfully exploitative of the small self employed vendor, driver, delivery man. This is urban 21st century version of the ryot zamindari of the 19th century which uses power of capital to exploit the supply chain of small vendors, converts employees into 'independent contractors' (who can then be exploited the way an employee cannot) and uses capital to discount prices to nuke competition. Maybe today the customer benefits from lower prices but for how long?

Mind you I am not a left wing slogan shouting warrior. I am a dyed in wool capitalist to my buttonholes as evident by my posts on IT industry attrition threads. Capitalism is healthy when it serves all stakeholders - shareholders, customers, suppliers, creditors, employees, government and local society.
Today's capitalism being imported into India by PE funds such as Softbank, Sequoia through their investments are driving in a draconian fashion the Milton Friedman spawned culture of Gordon Gecko - "greed is good" - and that only shareholder returns matter at the cost of all else.

This was always not so and in many parts of industrial India still isn't. Tatas, Aditya Birla, Reliance, Bajaj, etc all build great infrastructure for their employees and the neighbouring rural & semi-rural areas where ever they put up factories & plants. Navratna PSUs do it all the time. Jamshedji Tata, Walchand Hirachand, GD Birla, Ardesher Godrej, Jamnalal Bajaj and so many others were practicing the concept of trusteeship as industrialists a century and more ago. What is the trusteeship concept - that the wealth they are creating as industrialists is to be used for the good of society just as it is to be used for the good of their employees, their business and their shareholders.

This worship of loss making PE funded unicorns and decacorns is inimical to an India that needs to use every drop of capital to create jobs and not create some jobs (e.g. delivery boys) while destroying others (e.g. the small storekeeper). We talk of our population being ~140 crores. Most of us don't really realize how vast that number is. For example there are ~140 crore seconds in 44 years and 4 months.

The bottom half of our diverse society needs livelihood with dignity.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 5th June 2022 at 10:00.
V.Narayan is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 10:36   #104
BHPian

I bought an IKEA single bed recently. Though its very good , its not hardwood. Dont know how long it will last. As for the assembly, they claim its DIY by watching youtube videos. But I gave up after trying for two minutes. I hired a carpenter from urbancompany. It took two hours for him to assemble. He is a professional. That tells how complicated it is.

I did explore indian orgnanized players like urban ladder, pepperfry etc. But I didnt anything intersting. Didnt consider local offline guys since I assumed the quality/design wont be good. (May be I am wrong?). Buying the wood and getting it done from a carpenter is not practical. I wonder how many people actually do it.

But I agree that loss making funded/established companies getting into every space is not good. They raise money at ridiculous valuations and can survive several years. It will destroy the small guys who cant compete.

Last edited by adithya.kp : 5th June 2022 at 10:38.
adithya.kp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 08:30   #105
BHPian

I bought the SLAKT single bed for my son's bedroom as we planned to redo his room as a gift for his birthday. After looking for a lot of options at urbanladder, pepperfry, amazon and visiting a lot of local shops in and around Bannerghatta road, I gave up. They were all over priced or of bad design and finish.

So, finally found the SLAKT bed on ikea to be good and cheap. Ordered it online at ikea and got it delivered. But the first one that arrived was damaged. Got it replaced without much of a hassle. Took about a week to replace the bed, but the one that arrived was pretty good.

Also, bought outdoor table+chair set for the balcony and should say I am really happy with it.

Waiting for the store to open in Bangalore this month.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks