Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2018, 09:47   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Blue light (smartphones, computers, TV, LED lights) accelerates blindness

Quote:
Blue light from digital devices and the sun transforms vital molecules in the eye's retina into cell killers, according to optical chemistry research at The University of Toledo.

The process outlined in the study, which was recently published in the journal Scientific Reports, leads to age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in the United States.

"We are being exposed to blue light continuously, and the eye's cornea and lens cannot block or reflect it," Dr. Ajith Karunarathne, assistant professor in the UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, said. "It's no secret that blue light harms our vision by damaging the eye's retina. Our experiments explain how this happens, and we hope this leads to therapies that slow macular degeneration, such as a new kind of eye drop."
Source & Full Article
Old 11th August 2018, 10:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Blue light (smartphones, computers, TV, LED lights) accelerates blindness

I have Crizal Prevencia blue light protector lenses - costs around Rs. 5,000. It is a totally clear lens - so visibility is as it should be:

Blue light (smartphones, computers, TV, LED lights) accelerates blindness-img_20180811_100353.jpg

But at a different angle, it acquires a bluish tinge:

Blue light (smartphones, computers, TV, LED lights) accelerates blindness-img_20180811_100344.jpg

More info:
https://www.essilorindia.com/product...izal-prevencia
Old 11th August 2018, 15:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, a kind of Macular Degeneration has been found to be linked with use of cell phones, especially due to the blue screen effect. It's similar to ARMD (Age Related Macular Degeneration) which is seen in people over 50 years of age. Many studies are coming up. One such study is done in Taiwan . Link . This problem was shared by my Ophthalmologist friend a couple of years back.

Macula is located in the central part of retina and is responsible for clarity and sharpness of vision. Details here - Link

And not surprisingly, it's not only the eyes that are affected. Here is another link and it sounds scary. Link

Nowadays one can see that many mobile phones come with night mode (One Plus) or blue light filter (Motorola) etc. These models give a slightly yellow tinge to the screen. More details about this kind of blindness can be shared by Ophthalmologists in our forum.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 11th August 2018 at 15:09.
Old 11th August 2018, 19:09   #4
BHPian

I recently have been wearing progressive lenses and I got it with the blue filter. It does help a lot. Additionally on all the PC's and Mac that I have, I make sure that I install the f.lux app as the first thing.
Old 11th August 2018, 19:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Additionally on all the PC's and Mac that I have, I make sure that I install the f.lux app as the first thing.
f.lux looks awesome in performance, but basically, replacing cool light with warm (orange/reddish) light is the logic behind its operation apparently. Does it really block blue light, I am not sure.

https://justgetflux.com/
Old 11th August 2018, 19:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
f.lux looks awesome in performance, but basically, replacing cool light with warm (orange/reddish) light is the logic behind its operation apparently. Does it really block blue light, I am not sure.

https://justgetflux.com/
f.lux does not totally eliminate blue light, but it does reduce the exposure to blue light and the associated stress. f.lux is effective or useful during night times of computer usage.
Old 11th August 2018, 19:42   #7
BHPian

I used to use twilight app for flitering blue light.
Recently lg g 6 got an update which has this capabilty in built. Not as good as twilight but love it.
Old 11th August 2018, 21:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

There is one more source of blue light that lot of people are unaware of, the LED bulbs that have become so common today. People pick the wattage, but never worry about the color temperature.

I see so many people picking LED bulbs with 6000K (Kelvin) because they are so bright. The 6000K is normally referred as cool white, but it is the most bluish of all the lights. It induces maximum fatigue on the eyes.

Therefore, I always pick my LEDs between 2700K to 4300K, I never exceed that. Recently I was picking lights for my new home, I noticed that the light shop had issued mostly 6000k bulbs. I asked them to replace them with 2700K/3000K/4000K depending on each room requirement. They were actually surprised that I was particular about color temperature. They were used to picking 6000k whenever possible because it was the brightest. So I showed them the difference between 2700k and 6000K of same wattage, and how it affects the eye. The older people are especially affected by higher color temperature. The public in general is quite ignorant about this.

I even bought some tubelights with 3 different color temperature.
Old 13th August 2018, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Is the iPhone Truetone tech supposed to allay the ill effects of blue light coming out of their screens? When enabled it makes the screen a tinge yellowish. Some say it's green tea yellowish green appearing, other say it's apple juice light yellow appearing to the eye.
Old 13th August 2018, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Anybody tried any of these?

https://zebriana.in/shop/

Looking to buy one but cannot find enough reviews online.
Old 13th August 2018, 14:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is one more source of blue light that lot of people are unaware of, the LED bulbs that have become so common today.
Allow me take an exception to that.
Indians raised up in the 80s and 90s were using the white light even before the white LEDs of 6500K.

The Tube lights! When Govt was busy encouraging people to move from bulbs to fluorescent lights, the manufacturers conveniently only produced the 6500K cool white daylight tubes.

There is one more blue-light irritant ... on the roads: the blue Xenon HIDs!
Old 13th August 2018, 14:57   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have Crizal Prevencia blue light protector lenses - costs around Rs. 5,000.
Thanks! I will check them out (I spend 9 - 10 hours a day staring at my computer screen).

Quote:
Nowadays one can see that many mobile phones come with night mode (One Plus) or blue light filter (Motorola) etc.
Windows too! Night mode is standard on Windows 10. You can set the start & end times. Although I rarely work on a computer after 6 pm, it does make a difference on the occasions that I do.

Quote:
There is one more source of blue light that lot of people are unaware of, the LED bulbs that have become so common today.
. I've always chosen dim LEDs, purely for aesthetics. Good to know they have another benefit:
Blue light (smartphones, computers, TV, LED lights) accelerates blindness-20180812-00.13.38.jpg
Old 13th August 2018, 14:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Allow me take an exception to that.
Indians raised up in the 80s and 90s were using the white light even before the white LEDs of 6500K.
Not the same effect. I can look directly at tube lights without burning/hurting my eyes. In fact, I have tried that in my 18 year old home, which has lots of such tube lights. I think they are 4000k, that's how it feels.

But the 6500K LED burns my eyes even at a glance. See where 6500K falls.

Blue light (smartphones, computers, TV, LED lights) accelerates blindness-colortempchart.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 13th August 2018 at 15:05.
Old 13th August 2018, 16:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blue light (smartphones, computers, TV, LED lights) accelerates blindness

Quote:
Not the same effect. I can look directly at tube lights without burning/hurting my eyes. In fact, I have tried that in my 18 year old home, which has lots of such tube lights. I think they are 4000k, that's how it feels.

But the 6500K LED burns my eyes even at a glance. See where 6500K falls.

Attachment 1789740
Maybe the 6500K LEDs are tough to look at because of their higher lumen output?

And have you looked at Philips' Scene Switch series? Or Hue if you are feeling cash rich

I use the Crizal blue light protection specs and PC and Mobile are both set to activate their blue light filters by 6PM every day.
Old 13th August 2018, 16:44   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Blue light (smartphones, computers, TV, LED lights) accelerates blindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Maybe the 6500K LEDs are tough to look at because of their higher lumen output?
I don't think so. The old tubelights were so popular because of their high lumen output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
And have you looked at Philips' Scene Switch series? Or Hue if you are feeling cash rich
Check the last line of post#8.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks