Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Veganism?
I am one already! 44 10.26%
I love my tandoori chicken! 253 58.97%
I am vegetarian/pescatarian etc etc. 107 24.94%
Veganism excites me and I want to know more 44 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18th September 2018, 19:12   #76
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

I am a pure vegetarian and love to be. I got a chance to taste a Vegan food during an international flight and did not like it.

I come from a small town and have been to farms. Cows and buffaloes are treated well and not as mentioned in few posts. Infact, my uncle used to yell at my grandma "dont worry, your 4th daughter (cow & calf in the backyard) is hale and hearty".
Old 18th September 2018, 20:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

While we have (potentially) left one of the original & key motives of sharing vegan lifestyle and vegan food choice options with the merits/demerits far behind, this thread just seems to be concentrating into the never-ending discussion of vegan vs vegetarian vs non-vegetarian (across multiple levels).

So let me add my 2 cents

On vegan food / choices; we (in India) haven't really explored the full strengths of what is possible on just a vegan palette; spend a day across (the vegan restaurants of) London or New York (and other major cities of course); there is a whole world out there! I think @GTO mentioned a few options in South Bombay. If anybody gets an opportunity to visit any of these cities, please do give a try to the vegan options; especially those offered in other cuisines.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th September 2018 at 04:27. Reason: Removing OT parts
Old 19th September 2018, 01:36   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is so true! Almost every vegetarian I know in my family & friends circle suffers from B12 deficiency. All of us take supplements (I take the Nurokind B12 Strips).

@ all vegetarians / vegans: PLEASE get your levels checked.
Wish we knew this earlier. Just realized that the medication my father is having for his issue with nerves is primarily B12. And yes, he's a converted vegeterian who stopped meat in his late 40s and fish / eggs as well post his work retirement.

Could have asked him to supplement his diet earlier had we known this! Hope others also take serious note of this point.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th September 2018 at 04:27. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 19th September 2018, 05:42   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

... spend a day across (the vegan restaurants of) London or New York (and other major cities of course); there is a whole world out there! I think @GTO mentioned a few options in South Bombay. If anybody gets an opportunity to visit any of these cities, please do give a try to the vegan options; especially those offered in other cuisines.
Adding to my post, if any vegetarian/vegan enthusiast is in New York; I'd fully recommend the below (no way a complete list) list of restaurants to taste the options of vegan/vegetarian
  • Hangawi (Korean)
  • Beyond Sushi (Japanese)
  • Up Thai restaurant (Thai)
  • by CHLOE (American)
  • Superiority Burger (American)
  • and so many more...

Been to the above places multiple times (some even in double digits)!
Old 19th September 2018, 08:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
What about Non-vegetarians. Is there any specific vitamin or mineral deficiency for them as well, or are there are any nutrients which get depleted from our body when we are on moderate non-veg diet.
It is wise to reduce fried/roasted meat consumption as you age. Some people I knew who liked meat became pescatarians after 40's.
Old 19th September 2018, 09:57   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
What about Non-vegetarians. Is there any specific vitamin or mineral deficiency for them as well, or are there are any nutrients which get depleted from our body when we are on moderate non-veg diet.
Probably this is still a matter of debate, but many believe that eating meat (especially processed meat) increases the risk of cancer, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes etc. Also, some vitamins (A, C, E...) have to mostly come from fruits, nuts and vegetables.
Old 19th September 2018, 10:32   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
believe that eating meat (especially processed meat)
Guna, That is an excellent point.

I would just like to add that very few Indians in India consume Processed meats : https://www.bbc.com/news/health-34620617

Simply because these are treated as a delicacy and cost lot more than ordinary raw meat.

Fried products, be it vegetable or meat are best treated as a rare treat.
Old 19th September 2018, 10:48   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So that's where YOU draw the line. We all draw our lines in the sand at different levels.
This is true. When I was young, I had no hesitation consuming dairy products and honey (I used to actively hunt for the wild honey in the forests) but now I have beginning to stop consuming them. people may laugh at me but when I eat sprouts, I feel bit guilty
Old 19th September 2018, 11:43   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Learnt a lot of new things through this thread. Some very good arguments, facts placed on table and I have been reading them with an open mind.
to all the contributors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is true. When I was young, I had no hesitation consuming dairy products and honey (I used to actively hunt for the wild honey in the forests) but now I have beginning to stop consuming them. people may laugh at me but when I eat sprouts, I feel bit guilty
I think one more thing that needs to be taken care of while drawing the line is practicality. If for sprouts, then potatoes, onions, ginger, garlic etc also germinate if kept for long, meaning that they are 'alive' even when in the kitchen basket.

Regards,
Saket
Old 19th September 2018, 19:00   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
this entire naming convention itself seems to be based on a moral agenda.

And my understanding is that this usage has Indian origins. Before the recent advent of veganism, foreigners would be surprised at the usage of the term non-vegeterianiasm.
This! I've always been repulsed by the usage of the term "Pure Vegetarian". The concept of purity being associated with vegetarianism is in itself a moral, political stance. Without meaning to offend anyone personally here, I'd go so far as to say it has it's origins in brahminical thinking.
Old 19th September 2018, 20:17   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A non- vegeterian is not the opposite of a vegeterian as the moral agenda seems to call out - I'm yet to see a person who doesn't eat what a vegeterian would eat...
And my understanding is that this usage has Indian origins. Before the recent advent of veganism, foreigners would be surprised at the usage of the term non-vegeterianiasm.
Yes, this is a very Indian usage. You won't hear it outside of India, except from Indians. It is a flawed use of English.

Outside of India, there are Vegetarians and the rest. Vegans are considered an extreme category of vegetarians. I think in future I will make an effort to avoid that term. If somebody asks whether I am a non-vegetarian, I will say "No, I do eat vegetables, but I prefer meat."
Old 20th September 2018, 08:47   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
This! I've always been repulsed by the usage of the term "Pure Vegetarian".
Don't be repulsed - it is marketing . We shouldn't so easily take offence.

Many people - especially Gujarati & Marwari vegetarians (including my Mom) - will eat only at pure vegetarian restaurants. Either the smell of non-veg food bothers them, or they prefer to eat from 'pure veg' cutlery. To each his own, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Natural sources of vitamin B12 for vegetarians and eggitarians - Almonds, full fat milk, home made curd, paneer, cheese, and eggs.
While I don't have eggs, I do have a lot of almonds, paneer & cheese. Still, my B12 levels were low. Same for many others in my family & friends circle. I guess most veggies over the age of 40 need to take B12 supplements.
Old 20th September 2018, 09:11   #88
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

While I don't have eggs, I do have a lot of almonds, paneer & cheese. Still, my B12 levels were low. Same for many others in my family & friends circle. I guess most veggies over the age of 40 need to take B12 supplements.
Thanks, I guess this is the type of information that this thread needs more Can a simple test uncover this deficiency ?
Old 20th September 2018, 10:05   #89
BHPian

What is the difference between being a Vegan and being a Jain? the west has woken up to and is promoting (with a different name) what the followers of Jainism have known for years.
Keep things simple. Ahimsa Parmo Dharma...Means no violence against any living thing. If this is followed, everything falls into place automatically.
But then we have to eat to survive. So what do we do? We adopt the way of minimum harm. Pluck a fruit, eat a vegetable. Minimum harm means knowing that if you pluck a fruit, the tree will grow it back. You do not kill the tree! When vegetables are grown, they are harvested when they are most ripe! Minimum harm!

In all this, one has to make choices in food that are most conducive to our digestive systems. Eat foods that have the minimum assimilation cycle time. From plucking to shitting it out in the minimum time. Thus, eat fresh, eat less, eat only thats conducive to the system!

Avoid onions, potatoes, green chilli, mushrooms, baigan (eggplant) because they do not add any nutritional value. Have more buts, berries, fruits, green leafy veggies!

Modern dietitians says things that Jainism/Yogic culture has known for centuries. Eat 4 hours before sleeping at night. Sleep early! Thus it automatically translates into eating before dark by 6pm or so and sleeping by 10pm!

Americans (the West!), speak up when a Chinese man eats a dog! In our modern (copying the west) society, cats and dogs are loved but chicken fish cow goat are eaten! not loved! Is the life of a chicken less complex than that of a dog's? Can you create life? Then don't be part of the problem that takes one! Is that a very complex problem thing to understand?

The west (arabs, Caucasians) ate non vegetarian food because they had no choice! A look into their history will show you how hard their lives were! They lived in tough geographies, difficult weathers! We Indians do not read much but always watch a lot of movies and get moved by them. Who would've known about Mahavir Singh Phogat if Dangal was not made? SO in that same spirit, I am going to call out to some awesome western dramas such as Revenent, Django Unchained (among others). Cold weather, difficult life! Where are those people going to stop and grow food before consuming it.

Now that the west is progressing, they are waking upto "Veganism" kind of Ideas!

Here in India, we've gone through this life cycle many thousands of years ago! Therefore, our historical texts talk about the consumption of non vegetarian food! Remember, Hindu is not a religion. Hindu is the name given to the people living between the hindu kush mountains and the sea! The Chinese word for Indian is Indu! Within Hindu people there are different types of people - those who pray to Shiva, those who pray to Krishna, those who are Jains, etc etc.. The Kayastha Hindus eat non veg..The brahmin Hindus do not! Food in this region of Hindu (modern India) was classified basis the occupational needs of the person. Therefore, 'hindu' texts have description of Non Veg food and Thats why in this poll too we have many non veg eaters..and thats great!

So my point was that India having already gone through the cycle the West is going through now is already an evolved mixed society and we have already given food choices a lot of thought through our thousands years old history!

A laborer will need a lot of carbs but a office deskjob fellow will need to watch the carbs! A sportsperson will need heavy protein diet but a teacher may not need the same! Food choices must be made according to occupation and digestive system!

Therefore, sit back, think and decide whats best for you and take that up! Fruitarian, Jain, Vegetarian, Non vegetarian,,whatever it is.. eat whats best for your digestive system and you day to day needs!

Peace out!

PS: I eat non veg food. Have done so ALL my life. So does my family! But now I have restricted it to only when I travel! Who wouldn't have the karimeen polichettu when in Kerala or the Waz wan when in Kashmir!? Choices were made due to digestive system issues and the fact that I am getting older and fatter :(
Old 20th September 2018, 10:49   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
The concept of purity being associated with vegetarianism is in itself a moral, political stance. Without meaning to offend anyone personally here, I'd go so far as to say it has it's origins in brahminical thinking.
There is no connection to brahminical thinking, even brahmins were non-vegetarians according to our religious texts. The reason behind brahmins to become vegans is out of scope of this thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed