Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Veganism?
I am one already! 44 10.26%
I love my tandoori chicken! 253 58.97%
I am vegetarian/pescatarian etc etc. 107 24.94%
Veganism excites me and I want to know more 44 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2018, 03:13   #196
BHPian

Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
I am sorry, but the point you are trying to make eludes me. What does my response to someone who found videos of animals suffering funny have anything to do with what you just said about pesticides and antibiotics?
Sure I accept that my statements may be tangential to finding animal abuse videos funny. (I have not seen those videos, nor I wish to). It was a general response to how we are selective about suffering. Whether one finds the squishing of this grasshopper funny, or not is immaterial. The fact is that there is suffering, and it had to die for me to enjoy that tomato. Growing some plants made me immune to the suffering of the grasshoppers. This when my life/livelihood did not depend on it. I guess I would have an even more thicker skin if my life depended on it.
Old 25th September 2018, 03:23   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Time for a break. This is a car forum so lets please everyone!

Attachment 1801805
Ha ha loved this one. The arguments in this thread on both sides are super, but I feel the meat lovers are winning
Old 25th September 2018, 04:51   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Ha ha loved this one. The arguments in this thread on both sides are super, but I feel the meat lovers are winning
Once upon a time in a forum far far away we had a thread to discuss and create a reference point for people who are vegan and for those who want to know about being one; I guess we covered the first and second page on that before getting into the active argument mode

Btw anyone with cannibalistic tendencies? We have covered the length and breadth of the plant/animal/insects/whatnot spectrum from a food perspective; why miss out on one of the most prominent population species?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th September 2018 at 04:58.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:20   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
As far as protein is concerned, it is just as easy to get it from pulses and grains as it is from eggs and meat with the added benefit that it is easier to store and no animals are suffering for it.
I'd like some more information about this please. I've been raised a non-vegetarian, but would like to move to vegetarianism, or more probably pescetarianism. I have no issues with animals being slaughtered for food, and as far as food choices go I say each to his own. But I do want to stop consuming chicken-derived products because of the terrible conditions I've seen them being kept in and transported (seen live here in Bangalore, not on some self-righteous PETA video).

So what's a good substitute for eggs and chicken? Will I have to consume a lot more in weight of the vegetarian alternative to obtain the equivalent protein of an egg? Thanks in advance for your replies.

(I hope we can keep this thread for information about vegetarianism and veganism instead of a vegetarian versus non-vegetarian debate which has already been done to death on so many other forums and with the same results - no side will succeed in convincing the other! )
Old 25th September 2018, 08:40   #200
Team-BHP Support

I will do my best to stay off the debate and instead share my vegan cooking recipes.

I cook vegan because I find the addition of diary tends to become the dominant flavor.

Baked Pumpkin Fries
You need:

Pumpkin, cut into strips.
Black Pepper.
Salt.
Sesame Oil.
Garlic paste, half teaspoon.
Rub all ingredients together. Spread them out on a parchment paper. Into a preheated oven at 180C for 25 minutes.

Remove. Let it cool a little. Add a little more salt and a lot more pepper. Pull and play with the parchment paper to mix them better.

Enjoy a very healthy snack.

The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread-img_20180923_162406_349.jpg
Old 25th September 2018, 09:51   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'd like some more information about this please. I've been raised a non-vegetarian, but would like to move to vegetarianism, or more probably pescetarianism.
So what's a good substitute for eggs and chicken? Will I have to consume a lot more in weight of the vegetarian alternative to obtain the equivalent protein of an egg? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Sweet Pumpkin is one of the best substitute for eggs, the menu shared by bblost can be cooked without oil too. Pumpkin is one of the best source of food, apart from Brahmins, very less people use this as food. I hate people smashing pumpkins during festivals and other poojas. Banana too is a good substitute, but never eat banana after a heavy lunch/dinner.
Old 25th September 2018, 10:00   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Sweet Pumpkin is one of the best substitute for eggs, the menu shared by bblost can be cooked without oil too. Pumpkin is one of the best source of food, apart from Brahmins, very less people use this as food. I hate people smashing pumpkins during festivals and other poojas. Banana too is a good substitute, but never eat banana after a heavy lunch/dinner.
Nice, thanks, have never really given pumpkin a go, will try!

Follow up question- I've read that eggs and meat deliver more protein per gram, so does that mean I will need to consume more of the veggie alternative in grams to make up for it?

For more information, I'm a very impatient eater, I eat for nutrition rather than for taste. Breakfast is more often than not two raw eggs gulped down before rushing to work! I'm also heavily involved in a pretty physically demanding sport on both days of the weekend, and on some weekday mornings, so I'm really looking at effective and efficient nutrition. Thanks again for your time.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:24   #203
Senior - BHPian

Some of the easy to make breakfast with very less oil are Oats Pongal, Chana Sundal, Tomato soup with cooked Capsicum and Baby corn. Banana tree stem is another good thing you can add to your diet. Use pepper instead of chilly, crystal salt in place of table salt, make it a practice to reduce consumption of processed food.

Last edited by deehunk : 25th September 2018 at 11:32.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:33   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
two raw eggs gulped down before rushing to work!
This is a very bad idea. You run the risk of Salmonella poisoning. Its not worth the risk. You can store boiled eggs in the fridge in case you want to have them.

Salmonella is a big risk if you consume raw greens as well.
Always wash spinach etc in running water. Soak it in salted water for at least 15 mins and rinse again.

Do not consume raw food without washing them really well.
This is for both vegan and non-vegan options.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:49   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This is a very bad idea. You run the risk of Salmonella poisoning. Its not worth the risk. You can store boiled eggs in the fridge in case you want to have them.
Yessir, absolutely correct, that's exactly what my wife and my mom (who's a doc) keep telling me. I'm very disorganized, but I'm sure I can make time to at least boil a couple of eggs the night before. Or, as is my ultimate goal, to prepare some vegetarian alternatives the night before to have for breakfast.
Old 25th September 2018, 14:29   #206
BHPian

Note from Support: Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Yessir, absolutely correct, that's exactly what my wife and my mom (who's a doc) keep telling me. I'm very disorganized, but I'm sure I can make time to at least boil a couple of eggs the night before. Or, as is my ultimate goal, to prepare some vegetarian alternatives the night before to have for breakfast.
Another thing I have been told is that cooking an egg actually allows you to absorb it's nutrients better than if it is raw.

For breakfast what I normally do is cook a savoury porridge with a grain (either brown rice, barley or buckwheat, I am sure you can use other grains as well) with some sort of pulses/legmes (Brown lentils, split peas, fava beans etc. sometimes a mixture). I pressure cook the mix along with very mild spices. Once cooked, I add in some chopped greens and other vegetables. This makes for a nutritious and filling start to the day. It takes a little time to make, but I often make a whole lot and refrigerate the rest for the next couple of days.

Quote:
I will do my best to stay off the debate and instead share my vegan cooking recipes.
That is a great idea, it's unlikely that anyone is going to change their point of view on the topic. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I love pumpkin and it is so easy to grow. We do something similar with butternut squash. I always have a problem getting them to be crispy.

A favourite of mine is vegan chocolate mousse. I normally make it when we have guests over and it is extremely easy.

What you need is:

1. 300ml aqua faba (the water left over from boiling chickpeas, it needs to be quite thick and concentrated. The easy way is to use the water from a can of chickpeas)
2. Half a bar of dark chocolate

All you need to do is whisk the aqua faba till is gets nice and stiff. Chefs use aqua faba as a substitute for egg-white and it whips up the same way as it has a very similar protein profile.

Melt the chocolate. For those who don't know how, you need to heat water in a saucepan and put a smaller metal bowl or saucepan with the chocolate in the hot water. Don't let the water come in contact with the chocolate otherwise it will start clotting.

Once both key ingredients are ready then slowly add the melted chocolate into the whipped aqua faba. Put into individual cups and refrigerate. If you want to add another dimension grate some orange peel onto the mousse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Sure I accept that my statements may be tangential to finding animal abuse videos funny. (I have not seen those videos, nor I wish to). It was a general response to how we are selective about suffering. Whether one finds the squishing of this grasshopper funny, or not is immaterial. The fact is that there is suffering, and it had to die for me to enjoy that tomato. Growing some plants made me immune to the suffering of the grasshoppers. This when my life/livelihood did not depend on it. I guess I would have an even more thicker skin if my life depended on it.
The scope of this thread is to discuss vegan & vegetarian diets. A vegan diet is one that does not include any animal products, a vegetarian diet is similar but includes products such as dairy, honey and sometimes eggs.

If you want to get philosophical about suffering in the world then that is way beyond what we set out to do here, maybe we can start a separate thread for that.

Humans are biased and selective about suffering, we all have different opinions on that. With regards to me personally, I think finding the squishing of the grasshopper(or any living being) funny is not immaterial and it is a very sad thing.

I have been asked this before; if my life (or even my health) depended on it, I will kill and eat meat to survive. However, I do not need to do that and can lead a perfectly healthy and happy life as a vegan and therefore I lead the life of a peaceful vegan.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2018 at 00:50. Reason: Posts merged. See note.
Old 7th October 2018, 11:44   #207
Team-BHP Support

An interesting update:

Virat Kohli has announced that he has been a Vegan for a couple of months.
He also claims that his form has improved after this lifestyle change.

I don't follow cricket so no idea about that or him. This was news that Google threw up in my newsline.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:25   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting update:

Virat Kohli has announced that he has been a Vegan for a couple of months.
He also claims that his form has improved after this lifestyle change.

I don't follow cricket so no idea about that or him. This was news that Google threw up in my newsline.
This is a front page news on TOI print edition. Interestingly they have also listed other prominent Vegan sport persons (William sisters, Carl
Lewis, Tiger-woods, Lewis Hamilton) who all happened to be African-Americans. Is it just coincidence?

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2018 at 08:12. Reason: Ethnicity
Old 7th October 2018, 12:34   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is a front page news on TOI print edition. Interestingly they have also listed other prominent Vegan sport persons (William sisters, Carls lewis, Tiger-woods, Lewis Hamilton) who all happened to be African-Americans. Is it just coincidence?
Novak Djokovic also made news when he turned vegan (I think he isn't anymore). In fact, his diet was under a lot of scrutiny as a potential reason for his lack of form. He also set up a vegan restaurant in Monte Carlo in 2016.

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2018 at 08:12. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 7th October 2018, 13:51   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Novak Djokovic also made news when he turned vegan (I think he isn't anymore). In fact, his diet was under a lot of scrutiny as a potential reason for his lack of form. He also set up a vegan restaurant in Monte Carlo in 2016.
Mike Tyson is another African-American Vegan.

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2018 at 08:13. Reason: African-American
Closed Thread

Most Viewed