Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Veganism?
I am one already! 44 10.26%
I love my tandoori chicken! 253 58.97%
I am vegetarian/pescatarian etc etc. 107 24.94%
Veganism excites me and I want to know more 44 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2017, 17:15   #1
BHPian

The Vegan Thread

Team,

I am starting this thread to discuss and create a reference point for people who are vegan and for those who want to know about being one.

I recently adopted a vegan diet and lifestyle after reading about the torture that cows go through at dairy farms.

The sole working formula of a dairy farm is to get the cow pregnant (basically raped by artificial insemination) so that after 9 months (same as humans), when the baby is delivered, it lactates like all mammals and the milk meant for the baby calf is diverted for human consumption! To do this, the little infant baby calf is separated from the mother and both of them go through tremendous emotional stress. The male calves are mostly sent to slaughter houses and the females follow the same life of slavery as their mothers.

I read up more on this and was absolutely devastated at the appalling conditions. Dairy farms primarily break the precious mother-baby bond so that we humans can have all of their milk and consume milk based products like cheese, ice-cream etc. Milk production works on the principle of exploiting the female body, it's sexual and reproductive organs.

The more I read and researched into it, I just had one recurring regret of not knowing this truth earlier. We do not need cow's milk any more than we need dog's milk or lion's milk!

Search through Instagram or Twitter with hashtags like #dairyisscary #milkismurder #dairyismurder etc to see more.

BHPians, pitch in with your thoughts and reasons why you chose to go vegan.

Last edited by trek : 26th October 2017 at 17:43.
Old 26th October 2017, 17:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Vegan Thread

There is nothing natural about modern day dairy farming anymore. It is just a soulless factory where the cows are raw material and are processed in whatever way possible for maximum output and profit.

I am also of the opinion that the way we get our milk today is completely inhumane and pure torture for the animal. I have stopped consuming animal milk as such, and have switched to soya milk. I understand that it is a half step and does nothing about other milk products like cream, paneer and ghee in the diet, but it's a start.

Unfortunately, our traditional diet and culture is such that milk and milk products are a big part of it, directly as well as indirectly. You really can't escape from this. Also, as a vegetarian, dairy products are a major source of protein.

What is worth mentioning is that while people from the ruling parties have made all kinds of noises in the name of cow, no one has said anything about institutionalized dairy farming practices.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 26th October 2017 at 17:48.
Old 26th October 2017, 17:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think you're jumping the gun, the hashtags are just hyperbole, in India, we don't have dairy farming on the scale that animal rights activists seem to suggest.

Instead of reading, why not visit the source, dairy has pulled more people out of poverty than practically any other occupation, the amul success story is needed in a few other sectors too. Dairy will remain important source of nutrition even if it offends over privileged animal rights activists. The industry is growing at 16% CAGR over the last 5 years, the twitter hashtags mean nothing in the Indian context, thank God for small favours.
Old 26th October 2017, 18:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I think you're jumping the gun, the hashtags are just hyperbole, in India, we don't have dairy farming on the scale that animal rights activists seem to suggest.

Instead of reading, why not visit the source, dairy has pulled more people out of poverty than practically any other occupation, the amul success story is needed in a few other sectors too. Dairy will remain important source of nutrition even if it offends over privileged animal rights activists. The industry is growing at 16% CAGR over the last 5 years, the twitter hashtags mean nothing in the Indian context, thank God for small favours.
Be it a small tabela or a large dairy, the basic principle of milk production remains the same and that is to invade and destory the cow of her motherhood. And about the large scale, we'll get there pretty soon considering our obsession with milk and cheese.

You can see the whole thing as just an 'industry' but as demand surges, the suffering of these 'animals' or 'products' as the industry would describe them, would be a living hell.
Old 26th October 2017, 18:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

There is a newer concept, which is evolving.

Fruitarian-ism.

Many fruitarians will eat only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant: that is, foods that can be harvested without killing or harming the plant.
Old 26th October 2017, 18:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
It's not about hashtags, it's about the practices and systems in place. Do we have any for proper or ethical treatment of cattle? A set of best practices and does and don'ts? Systems to check and ensure their physical health and hygiene? None to the best of my knowledge. Even if there were, who is to ensure their implementation? Our governments struggle to take care of tax paying citizens. Can only expect them to pay nothing more than lip service to this, even though it is emotionally evocative for many sections of the society.

For the animal, it is pretty much a free for all where it is exploited in every possible way from birth to death.

Also, the argument of lack of scale is flawed. India is one of the largest producers as well as consumers of milk and milk products. We have perhaps the world's largest population of cattle. We are also a major exporter of beef, despite 'cow' slaughter being banned in a majority of states. By all means, our scale is right up there.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 26th October 2017 at 19:03.
Old 26th October 2017, 20:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Following a Vegan Diet means not consuming any products from animals. This includes milk products, meat etc. as well as HONEY. Also Shoe-wear / Slippers, Belts made of animal leather are to be avoided. That's how it is followed here, at-least in Germany / Europe.

Being Vegan is not just about what you consume, it's a lifestyle.

Spike
Old 26th October 2017, 21:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Vegan diet must-knows

You'll need a B12 supplement

Vitamin B12 occurs naturally only in animal foods, so you'll want to stock up on a variety of B12-fortified foods as well as a B12 supplement. B12 keeps the body's nerve and blood cells healthy and helps make DNA, so deficiencies can lead to tiredness, weakness, constipation, loss of appetite, weight loss (the bad kind), nerve problems, and depression.

…And maybe an iron supplement, too
Iron comes in two forms: heme and non-heme. Heme, which makes up about 40% of the iron in animal foods, is easily absorbed by the body. Vegan diets contain only non-heme, which is less readily absorbed, so you may need to ingest more iron if you want to get the same benefit, says New York City nutritionist Christian Henderson, RD. Good vegan iron sources include legumes, sunflower seeds, dried raisins, and dark, leafy greens. Vitamin C-rich foods (think: red peppers, citrus, and broccoli) aid iron absorption.

You'll have to find new protein sources
Proteins are the building blocks of life: they break down into amino acids that promote cell growth and repair. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get at least 0.8 grams of protein daily for every kilogram of body mass.The best sources of vegan protein include natural soy, lentils, beans, quinoa, and seitan.

Take it easy on soy-based products
In general, critics overstate the dangers of soy and the promoters exaggerate its benefits. Though scientists are still arguing over the effects of soy on cancer and heart health, one thing is for certain: "Consuming too much soy-based vegan 'meat' is arguably worse (than) consuming high-quality animal products".
Many other points : Source

My personal opinion is to have whatever you like and be healthy mentally.
Do not force yourself into something under the influence of what's seen on the "Social Media".
Old 26th October 2017, 21:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It's not about hashtags, it's about the practices and systems in place. Do we have any for proper or ethical treatment of cattle? A set of best practices and does and don'ts? Systems to check and ensure their physical health and hygiene? None to the best of my knowledge. Even if there were, who is to ensure their implementation? Our governments struggle to take care of tax paying citizens. Can only expect them to pay nothing more than lip service to this, even though it is emotionally evocative for many sections of the society.

For the animal, it is pretty much a free for all where it is exploited in every possible way from birth to death.

Also, the argument of lack of scale is flawed. India is one of the largest producers as well as consumers of milk and milk products. We have perhaps the world's largest population of cattle. We are also a major exporter of beef, despite 'cow' slaughter being banned in a majority of states. By all means, our scale is right up there.
It's always about greater good isn't it, your idea to improve what is perhaps one of our most successful initiatives is to wreck it with regulations. The dairy farmers have an incentive to keep the animals in great shape, that's their livelihood, the Government has nothing to do here. There are adequate safeguards in the supply chain, I know that because we did a project on it. A simple Google search will let you know how the industry operates, the only hygiene risks come from mishandling the packages. Emotions should never be funded by the tax payer, those agitators can pay from their own pockets to get unoffended and pay for the upkeep of the violated animals.

The animal wouldn't be around if the owners can't afford to maintain them.

We are the largest milk producers, but low per capita productivity and lack of a cold chain are still problems. We are the largest exporters of carrebeef, cow slaughter has nothing to do with it.

Soy milk is a damp squib and rightly so, not many takers for an insipid product, who knew.
Old 26th October 2017, 23:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
The sole working formula of a dairy farm is to get the cow pregnant (basically raped by artificial insemination).
The more I read and researched into it, I just had one recurring regret of not knowing this truth earlier. We do not need cow's milk any more than we need dog's milk or lion's milk!
I grew up around farms. It is clear that you have never stepped into a real dairy farm. Your entire impression is created by PETA kind of videos. Professionally run daily farms in India treat their cows like VIPs.

Kindly keep the focus on vegan lifestyle and food choices, than discuss possible torture of cows.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th October 2017 at 09:53. Reason: typo
Old 26th October 2017, 23:52   #11
BHPian

A vegetarian here and avoid milk completely for the taste, though love curd.

When many around me we're hooked on Red Bull, Powerade, Gatorade, etc, I asked my Doc if I should as well. He was against it as they are like any other Soda or cold drink in India.

Sometime back was curious of modafinil as a smart study drug.
http://www.studypills.net/modafinil-smart-drugs/

Why am I mentioning all this, as an individual i have also experimented scientific findings or any fad of the time.
A vegetarian became complete non vegetarian in US than back to vegetarian from last four years.

Took B complex daily, but found no difference with or without.

Finally my why and what we eat experiments got me closer to my roots.

I am not here to promote or disapprove of food or habit.
People eat what is easily & readily available.

On a lighter note some one I know rears Kadaknath chickens, the most expensive in today's time, but out of scope for my experiment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadaknath
Old 27th October 2017, 22:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I grew up around farms. It is clear that you have never stepped into a real dairy farm. Your entire impression is created by PETA kind of videos. Professionally run daily farms in India treat their cows like VIPs.

Kindly keep the focus on vegan lifestyle and food choices, than discuss possible torture of cows.
Thanks Samurai Sir for telling what i had to say. The starter of the thread has not stepped into a dairy farm. Dairy alone has bought a lot of people out of poverty. My family is one of them. We do not artificially inseminate our cows and our males are not sent to a slaughter house neither are the old animals. So please stop preaching about the terrible dairies and stick to your diet. Dont stereotype everyone for your personal gains or like some say Peta types.

How do you know a person is vegan? They will tell you within ten minutes of conversation.

Industrial or factory farms are a very american concept and thats where the torture and inhuman techniques of animal rearing and breeding is followed. When majority of our farms are owned by small landholders, dairy is an additional source of income, and nutrition for the kids of the family. Dairy cooperatives have helped a lot of poor to come out of their situations and get a better life.

No one has the right to control a persons food habits.

Maddy
Old 28th October 2017, 07:38   #13
BHPian

I would like to share my personal experience with vegan diet.

I saw some videos on cruelties that animals go through, felt guilty and decided to go vegan.

It was a difficult lifestyle change. Being veg is relatively easy in India. However, being vegan is different. But I stuck to it for 4 months.

I gained a lot weight in this period. My health deteriorated. I finally went back to normal diet. Unfortunetly, gained weight persisted.

A few months back, I tried Keto diet. It gave good results. May be it is do with my body chemistry. It seems carbs are harmful for me, at least refined carbs are. Vegan diet trends be low on proteins and gets carbs heavy.

I am sure it must be possible to follow vegan Keto diet if are motivated enough.
Old 15th September 2018, 14:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

I am on my journey to become a vegan and it got me wondering, how many vegans do we have on my favorite forum?

The purpose of this thread is not to judge anyone on their eating habits but to connect with other vegans (or to be vegans) on tbhp.

As for me, I am slowly moving away from using any animal products as much as I can by making conscious choices about what I consume and what effect it is going to have (I buy only artificial leather shoes, belts etc and I would love a vegan car i.e. a high end car that has some other textures apart from conspicuous leather). The last bastion as they for me is giving up dairy and I will get there soon.

Whats your story? Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2018 at 11:44. Reason: Let this thread only focus on tips, advice & suggestions. Removing bit about argument
Old 15th September 2018, 17:00   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Like you, I come from a vegetarian family, and have been a vegetarian more because of history and habit rather than any religious conviction or concern for animals. I used to always find the idea of veganism strange - I could understand why some vegetarians would not eat eggs (even unfertilised eggs) but not why they won’t drink milk. A few years ago, I visited a dairy farm owned by a friend’s extended family. And I realised that I had never bothered to think about what it takes to have a cow produce milk for us every day. Like all mammals, cows produce milk for their calves until they are weaned. And in a natural environment, there would be some gap between multiple pregnancies during which period there would be no milk production.

So what do factory farms do? They separate the calves from the cows almost at birth, and ensure that cows are permanently lactating through artificial insemnination. From an evolutionary perspective, you could that was an extension of the grand bargain the cows struck with humans to ensure transmission of their genes - by giving up companionship between mother and child and turning into milk producing machines. But if you claim to care for animals, such a cynical bargain should be unacceptable.

So what have I done? Unfortunately, I like my milk and curd rice and paneer too much - as I also like leather shoes and car seats. So I stick to being vegetarian. But for those who claim to be vegetarians for ethical reasons as opposed to due to pure prejudice, giving a serious consideration to veganism is a must.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed