Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 16:24   #76
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Oil Thread (cooking, not engine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Groundnut / Peanut Oil or Coconut Oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
Peanut oil is good in monounsaturated fats which means 'good fat'. You can also use peanut oil for normal cooking. Don't worry it won't smell or taste of peanuts.
You guys will be happy to know that Khichdi Restaurant sells natural peanut oil for ~300 bucks a liter. Just saw the bottles yesterday.
Old 30th November 2018, 19:57   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You guys will be happy to know that Khichdi Restaurant sells natural peanut oil for ~300 bucks a liter. Just saw the bottles yesterday.
Sorry if i couldn't find it quoted in the link given. It takes me zomoto.com and may be I don't know how to search for it.

We order cold pressed groundnut oil and Sesame Oil online here https://www.gramiyum.in/product-category/oil/

Groundnut oil - 1 litre - Rs.260

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 30th November 2018 at 20:01.
Old 30th November 2018, 21:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, simple question = what oil to use for cooking at home?
Thanks for asking GTO
This thread will surely benefit a lot of Team BHP members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
For the past year and a half, we have moved from sunflower oil to rice bran oil and now to Canola oil. On taste front, we do not find any difference in normal cooking.
Ghee is used as an additive (smeared on roti or for Tadka).

Canola Oil is good for deep frying or cooking with higher amount of oil, for it's low viscosity and high smoke point. It feels less loaded too in high carb foods. Guess, I would be staying with it for some time.
+1
Canola Oil was suggested to me 10 Years back, by the dietician after my father's Bypass Surgery.
Have been on Canola since then. And will continue so.

The summary of all my research on Oils for personal use , is that Canola is the best all rounder for regular cooking.

But as Doctors advise we should habituate a use multiple Oil usage
You should buy 4 kinds of Oils
  • Olive Oil for sauteing n garnishing
  • Canola for regular cooking 80%
  • 20 % Sunflower/Ricebran (Switch Canola for a month with each of them)
  • All the other - Palm, Groundnut , Mustard , etc. - MAKE their Way into our Diet through the various Restaurants and Eatouts . So don't bother

AFAIK the Demand for Canola Oil is steadily increasing.
Quote:
As per Market Research Future (MRFR)'s new analysis, the global canola oil market is projected to strike a healthy CAGR during the forecast period 2018 to 2023.

Canola oil has gained popularity among the growing health-conscious population owing to its health benefits. The rising prevalence of health-related issues such as cardiovascular diseases due to high cholesterol is likely to fuel demand for canola oil in the upcoming years.
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a coincidence. On a recent road-trip, I spotted this outside Purohit Thali, Deolali.

Claims that his oil is 100% natural with zero additives.
Generally plastic bottles are bad. Much better to use glass. We use old wine bottles.

We generally have a lot of cocunuts which go dry. We extract the oil and use it.

I have carried sunflower and soyabean oil from Argentina and Brasil on chemical tankers. Though we take a lot a trouble to clean the tanks prior loading you should know that the previous cargo in the tank was most probably Petrol or Diesel. Think about that when you are using Soyabean or Sunflower oil.
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:30   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

All, any idea about this machine: designed by a person in Kerala, to extract oil from Copra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
We generally have a lot of cocunuts which go dry. We extract the oil and use it.

I have carried sunflower and soyabean oil from Argentina and Brasil on chemical tankers. .. you should know that the previous cargo in the tank was most probably Petrol or Diesel.
Interesting tid-bit about the cargo.

How do you extract the oil from the coconuts ?

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd December 2018 at 15:03.
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Interesting tid-bit about the cargo.

How do you extract the oil from the coconuts ?
We take the dried kernels to a mill (cold press).
Old 4th January 2019, 14:18   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What a coincidence. On a recent road-trip, I spotted this outside Purohit Thali, Deolali.

Claims that his oil is 100% natural with zero additives. He's going to be putting these up on Amazon soon. Phone number at the bottom in case you are interested. He will ship. We bought 3 bottles as refined oil has become a bad word in our house (thanks to the advice on this thread ).
Family is loving the oil. Just received this from the same supplier:
The Oil Thread (cooking, not engine)-img20190104wa0003.jpg
Old 19th January 2019, 07:15   #83
BHPian

Found two sources for cold pressed oils.

1. Naati Grains Cold Pressed Oils

2. Yusuf Meherally Center
The link is for their "Contact Us" page.
Scroll down for sales addresses.

www.naatigrains.com is from Bangalore.
They sell a range of products along with cold pressed oils.
Looking to pick up cast iron cookware from them.

Yusuf Meherally has stores in Mumbai & suburbs.
It has centers all over India where I hope products are available for purchase.

Visited their Panvel store which is small and bought Groundnut & Til oil.
Have tried both and am satisfied so will be making the switch to them eventually.
Their main bottling plant is near Karnala Bird sanctuary where you will be able to pick up more stock and range of oils.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated to either stores. Posting information for members who may not have heard of them before.

Last edited by Ithaca : 19th January 2019 at 07:16.
Old 20th October 2019, 19:03   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing my previous question:

Any info on a good oil extracting machine for home ? Saw one advertised on FB - but would be good if there was feedback

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1255231877979865/

____

Update: got this reference in a FB foodies group.
https://www.amazon.in/SONAR-Purposes...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited by condor : 20th October 2019 at 19:32.
Old 20th October 2019, 19:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any info on a good oil extracting machine for home?
Just as I transited from this page to WhatsApp, saw these pictures on a friend's status.
Attached Thumbnails
The Oil Thread (cooking, not engine)-img_20191020_1950081050x890.jpg  

The Oil Thread (cooking, not engine)-img_20191020_1950211067x1134.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2019, 11:58   #86
Senior - BHPian

The above advertises that Heat processing leads to losing the essential fats, minerals and vitamins?

I am sure most people buying oil will use it for frying - in which case this point loses its relevance.
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:29   #87
BHPian

Currently we are using Cold Pressed Groundnut Oil by Puvi for the past one year and its pretty excellent. Cholesterol figures of three members aged 56, 62 & 76 of my family are decent.

https://www.amazon.in/Pressed-Groundnut-Peanut-Virgin-Chekku/dp/B07HL6VMBS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=cold+pressed+groundnut+oil+edi ble&qid=1571817011&smid=A2JKS60RKGVYXI&sr=8-5

We are Mangloreans, but still my Mom doesn't seem interested in using Cold Pressed Coconut oil. Says we aren't used to the taste.
I sometimes use this one while cooking by myself.

https://www.amazon.in/Max-Care-Press...pr%2Caps%2C338
Old 13th January 2020, 10:56   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Currently we are using Cold Pressed Groundnut Oil by Puvi for the past one year and its pretty excellent. Cholesterol figures of three members aged 56, 62 & 76 of my family are decent.

https://www.amazon.in/Pressed-Groundnut-Peanut-Virgin-Chekku/dp/B07HL6VMBS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=cold+pressed+groundnut+oil+edi ble&qid=1571817011&smid=A2JKS60RKGVYXI&sr=8-5
I am seriously planning to start using code pressed oil. Since you have been using this brand and there are lot of brands available in the market, I want to know your opinion on how to find the genuine one? If you can tell me, how you finalized on this brand, that would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post

We are Mangloreans, but still my Mom doesn't seem interested in using Cold Pressed Coconut oil. Says we aren't used to the taste.
I sometimes use this one while cooking by myself.

https://www.amazon.in/Max-Care-Press...pr%2Caps%2C338
Are cold pressed oils good for Indian style of cooking ? I read somewhere, not sure where, that cold pressed oils have lower smoke points compared to refined oils, and hence not suitable for indian style of cooking.

Can someone throw more light on this topic please ?
Old 13th January 2020, 11:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I am seriously planning to start using code pressed oil. Since you have been using this brand and there are lot of brands available in the market, I want to know your opinion on how to find the genuine one? If you can tell me, how you finalized on this brand, that would be helpful. Thanks.
There weren't many cold pressed groundnut oils online. So bought a 1L bottle initially from Puvi and it was good. Has the perfect groundnut aroma. Also, CP oil retains its natural color on heating. Have seen saffola turn reddish when over-heated or post deep frying. I personally love CP coconut oil, but my mom isn't a big fan. So have stuck to groundnut for now, and coconut when I cook for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Are cold pressed oils good for Indian style of cooking ? I read somewhere, not sure where, that cold pressed oils have lower smoke points compared to refined oils, and hence not suitable for indian style of cooking.
All I know is CP oils retain their nutritional value and aroma. The taste too remains raw. Been cooking in CP oil for over 1.5 yrs, so I can say zero issues with Indian food. Also seen many chefs prefer coconut oil too for deep frying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks