Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2018, 23:47   #16
BHPian

Re: The Oil Thread (cooking, not engine)

Ever since (5+ years) me and wife started LCHF, all meals are cooked in ghee or butter.

Last edited by mjumrani : 1st October 2018 at 23:52. Reason: More Information
Old 2nd October 2018, 00:10   #17
BHPian

I am totally against Sunflower refined oil. It doesn't have any benefits for heart or in general IMHO. All marketing BS. We have given up on sunflower oil after 20 years and have started experimenting with different varieties, and in my personal opinion the Rice bran is better than the rest, though the quest continues.

Please avoid Sunflower Oil.

Last edited by wrongturn : 2nd October 2018 at 00:14.
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:56   #18
BHPian

Lots of good advice on this thread, and here is mine.

GTO - first things first, make a serious attempt to minimize oil/ghee/butter usage in your home cooking, since we are trying to make a least harmful choice here, there's no good choice here.

Best Oils - cold pressed local oils, ie. coconut, mustard, groundnut, sesame, sunflower. You'll need to search around a bit, but you'll find these. Cold pressed olive oil only if consuming raw on salad etc.

Worst Oils - anything refined, or with additives for "healthy heart", "low cholesterol" etc.

Special mention for Ghee or butter, homemade or otherwise - milk products are not at all healthy contrary to our age old beliefs. Enough studies on internet though still not so obvious because milk industry is a behemoth. Eliminate milk products from your diet.

cheers
lazy
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:44   #19
BHPian

Very confused after reading this thread.

Of late have been seeing many home machines for extracting oil at home from seeds or nuts of your choice. Though not cost effective and space effective I feel.

Came across a video of home preparation of coconut oil on YouTube which I think is best for a small family. Can repeat that procedure once every 3 months since it's very laborious process. Unable to share the link here since I am on mobile but search for "coconut oil village food factory" on YouTube.
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:21   #20
BHPian

Mom generally use sunflower oil for cooking. So far my parents have not yet faced any alarming health issues (touchwood). One thing that Mom tells me is that we should refrain from reusing the any oil again and again as it's not at all good for health. You will notice that road side eateries often reuse their oil frequently to save money.How to identify this? Well the oil turns quite dark in colour and it's as good as poison.

Suggestion: We can also have a poll for this topic.
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:25   #21
BHPian

Interesting post...

Came across a thread long time ago which explains How Cooking Oil is made - http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Cooking-Oil.html

From what I understand the FAT content in the OIL is what makes it unhealthy, though good fat is still required for body. An understanding to types fat will help us chose a healthy food option. In any case its always good to know what you eat !

Saturated Fat -
A type of fat containing a high proportion of fatty acid molecules without double bonds, considered to be less healthy in the diet than unsaturated fat.

Unsaturated Fat -
A type of fat containing a high proportion of fatty acid molecules with at least one double bond, considered to be healthier in the diet than saturated fat.
If you eat unsaturated fat instead of saturated fat, it may help improve your cholesterol levels
Monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat are types of unsaturated fat.

Monounsaturated Fat - From a chemical standpoint, monounsaturated fats are simply fat molecules that have one unsaturated carbon bond in the molecule, this is also called a double bond. Oils that contain monounsaturated fats are typically liquid at room temperature but start to turn solid when chilled. Olive oil is an example of a type of oil that contains monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats can help reduce bad cholesterol levels in your blood which can lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. They also provide nutrients to help develop and maintain your body’s cells. Oils rich in monounsaturated fats also contribute vitamin E to the diet.

Polyunsaturated Fat -
Polyunsaturated fat is a type of dietary fat. It is one of the healthy fats, along with monounsaturated fat.

Polyunsaturated fat is found in plant and animal foods, such as salmon, vegetable oils, and some nuts and seeds. Eating moderate amounts of polyunsaturated (and monounsaturated) fat in place of saturated and trans fats can benefit your health.
Polyunsaturated fats can help lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol. They include omega-3 and omega-6 fats.

Trans Fat -
This is a fat that has been changed by a process called hydrogenation. This process increases the shelf life of fat and makes the fat harder at room temperature. Harder fat makes crispier crackers and flakier pie crusts. Trans fat can raise your cholesterol, so eat as little trans fat as possible

So based on my understanding of Fats, we compared Olive Oil, Canola Oil and Mustard Oil and based on fat values we switch between Canola Oil and Mustard Oil.

Mustard Oil Composition -
Fatty acids, total saturated: 11.582 g
Fatty acids, total monounsaturated: 59.187 g
Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated: 21.230 g
Trans Fat - 0

Canola Oil Composition -
Fatty acids, total saturated: 8 g
Fatty acids, total monounsaturated: 61 g
Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated: 26 g
Trans fat 1.8 g

Note - All cooking fats and oils are made up of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids in different proportions.

Hope this helps to make a healthy choice !
Attached Images

Old 2nd October 2018, 13:27   #22
BHPian

Oils/Ghee/Butter i.e. Fats are not completely responsible for causing heart diseases. Its the overconsumption of calories which leads to fat deposits in the vessels around the heart. Fats are calorie dense around 9Kcal for 1mg of fat. If diet is in check along with exercise, chances of heart diseases are drastically reduced. Other factors are genetics and stress, environmental factors.
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:22   #23
BHPian

We've been using Rice bran oil since past few years and it seems good. Wood-pressed or cold-pressed oils are the best though they're difficult to find. At all costs, avoid any refined oil - sunflower, sunland, etc. I remember seeing a WA forward where it's printed on the refined oil packet that it's only for external use
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:37   #24
BHPian

Double refined sunflower oil with A D E vitamin enriched. Among all oils sunflower or canola has lowest cholesterol.

Along with sparingly use clarified butter or ghee, mainly for anti-carcinogenic properties.

Oil and fat is essential for the body. But use sparingly, eat what ever you want and be fit to digest what ever you eat!!!
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, simple question = what oil to use for cooking at home?

Which is the best / most healthy / least evil oil to use for cooking at home? Cooking consists of typical Indian meals. Which should be my kitchen's Mobil 1 ?

Thanks!
Before moving out of home, at my parents' home, it was Sunflower oil. Post marriage, continued the same.

Currently using physically refined ricebran oil.

As mentioned in the thread, Canola and Olive oil in indeed good. But, the problem starts with fake products. There have been multiple cases wherein duplicate(s) of major and reputed brands have been seized. And the most popular one(s) are Canola and Olive oil.

Also, before making a switch permanently, make sure to test use the brand - as in a test drive, when we drive the vehicle around to be sure, test the oil brand for some time before finalizing. This is to ensure that if you are unknowingly allergic to any ingredients in the oil being used, you know about it before hand.
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:40   #26
BHPian

We usually make curry in ghee or groundnut oil. At my home we do not get into technical details like cholesterol, fats etc. I still love the puris fried in ghee. And I am happy to drink ghee. I can drink I cup of ghee (similar to size to tea cup) though I don't do it but I love the taste. I try to avoid oil only for the reason that I like the taste of ghee. I also prefer to ear "parantha" rather than eating roti.

Everyday some new research report comes and mentions this oil is good and that oil is bad. If we get into the details I am sure the only choice will be to eat raw or boiled vegetables.

I would say, don't pay too much attention and ensure that you are physically active in day-today life. This will keep you healthy.

Last edited by Slowjet : 2nd October 2018 at 16:41. Reason: spelling correction
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:00   #27
BHPian

Earlier, like most households in India, we also used groundnut oil. But then the health setbacks of that became more prevalent and we dropped it.

We started using corn flour oil. We used it for few years. Before shifting to sunflower oil.

Sunflower oil is a mixture of monounsaturated (MUFA) and polyunsaturated (PUFA) fatty acids. Both these fatty acids are highly beneficial for the heart. It has a high smoking point, which means that sunflower oil holds onto its nutritional content at higher temperatures. This is very important for our Indian cooking methods.

Olive oil is a good choice but may not be great with our cooking methods. We use extra virgin olive oil at home only for salad dressing.

Off late, I have started reading many good things about Coconut oil. I have seen many international fitness experts recommend it. Although here in India, our southern states are using it since ages. Coconut oil is full of saturated fat. Studies suggest that diets high in coconut oil do raise total blood cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Coconut oil also seems to raise HDL (good) cholesterol and it has the advantage that it behaves very well at high temperatures.

You can try coconut oil if you and your family like the taste.
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:12   #28
BANNED

I would recommend cold pressed til ( sesame) oil which is called gingelly oil or groundnut oil. These have been consumed in the South for millennia without any problems till the palm oil lobby muscled their way in. Coconut oil is good too but is only recommended for those who can tolerate the flavour.
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Here's a video:

I keep rotating oils- but a different type of oil each time a bottle gets over. Something my mom has followed.
Old 2nd October 2018, 23:29   #30
BHPian

Groundnut / Peanut Oil or Coconut Oil

Has to be cold pressed, non-refined.

That’s what our ancestors used and they lived healthy, long lives.

Most Viewed