Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 18:36   #1
BHPian

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread

Hello BHPians,

I am sure many of the memebers of this forum are young adults (including me) and just like me, you must also have enjoyed your childhood watching some of your favourite cartoons!!

Those were the days, when the only thing you were worried about is not missing powerpuff girls at 2:30 in the noon just after you returned from school...

Or wondering when will the pokémon saga finally end, and will Ash be able to become a good pokémon trainer or not?

Here are some of my favourite cartoons, and I spent a whole lot of my time watching these repeat after repeat!

1. Swat Kats

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-lf.jpeg

Set in a world of anthropomorphic felines, this series follows the high-flying adventures of Chance "T-Bone" Furlong and Jake "Razor" Clawson. Members of Megakat City's elite law-enforcement agency, the pilots become grounded after their pursuit of archvillain Dark Kat sets them at odds with the headstrong Commander Feral. Reassigned to duties at a military salvage yard, Chance and Jake create their own high-tech jet from discarded parts and dedicate themselves to protecting the city in their secret identities as the SWAT Cats. Armed to the teeth and ready to roll, these masked vigilantes continue their quest to bring down Dark Kat and other threats to the city, including recurring baddies the Pastmaster, Dr. Viper and Hard Drive.

2. Courage the cowardly Dog

Name:  CN471_ebbdbec065bd4dacb6d17192a536ca2d_600x.png
Views: 1223
Size:  169.8 KB

Courage is a timid pink dog with paranoia problems. His owners are an old couple living on a farm full of bizarre adversaries. Courage must overcome his fear and help save his owners, Eustace and Muriel, from ghosts and paranormal spirits living on the farm. Although Muriel loves Courage, Eustace loves to tease him and scare him.

3. Dexter's Laboratory

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-maxresdefault-1.jpg

Dexter, a boy genius, slips away to his secret laboratory to come up with solutions to various problems. He struggles to keep his sister Dee Dee away from his inventions and experiments.

4. Powerpuff girls

MV5BODdmZmFlMGUtZWE5NC00NmU5LTg3NzItOTNjNDc4ZTc2YzI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM1MTQ0NTQ._V1_UY268_CR50182268

The adventures of Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup who with the help of their special powers protect the world from mad scientists, bank robbers and aliens.

5. Kids Next Door

Name:  KNDLogo.png
Views: 1102
Size:  66.5 KB

A mysterious treehouse hidden from adults is the headquarters for five friends known as Kids Next Door. These 10-year-olds take on adults to get out of going to the dentist or summer camp by using "2x4 Technology." They build and design elaborate contraptions using anything they can get their hands on: bubble gum, old wood, and spare tires. Each kid has a specialty and works with the team to win silly battles with adults.

6. The Jet sons

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-maxresdefault-2.jpg

"Meet George Jetson." Just those words will prompt viewers of a certain age to join in singing the show's catchy theme song. This popular primetime cartoon show features the Jetson family living in a utopian future. People live in housing in the sky, work a three-day workweek, drive aerocars that look like flying saucers and have incredible conveniences that leave them with plenty of leisure time. George, his homemaker wife Jane, and their children, Judy and Elroy, also have a robotic maid named Rosie and a talking dog named Astro. Airing first on ABC in the 1960s, the series was resurrected in the 1980s, with more episodes produced for syndication.

7. Ed Edd and Eddy

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-p186143_b_v8_ah.jpg

Like any boys trying to survive their adolescence, Ed, Edd and Eddy are as clueless about girls as everything else. Eddy may not be the brains of the trio, but he's the "idea guy," always scheming and dragging his buddies along. Ed, Edd and Eddy go on summertime adventures involving part-time jobs, treehouses and of course, girls.

8. Scooby Doo

Name:  new_scoow_doow_7704.png
Views: 1090
Size:  45.4 KB

Scooby-Doo is an American animated franchise, comprising many animated television series produced from 1969 to the present day. Writers Joe Ruby and Ken Spears created the original series, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!,

9. Johnny Bravo

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-p413071_b_v8_ab.jpg

Johnny Bravo is a muscular guy, who sports a pompadour hairstyle. He thinks that he's God's gift to women, and hence, chases them, so that they fall in love with him.

10. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-p186152_b_v8_aq.jpg

Billy and Mandy are a mismatched pair of youngsters who befriend the Grim Reaper after winning a limbo contest against him. Since the Grim Reaper lost, he has to be their friend, and the three go on adventures together. Between school, family and visitors from the spirit world, Billy and Mandy sometimes need help to clean up the messes they get themselves into, and that's where Hos Delgado comes in. Hos and the Grim Reaper are not friends, and with Mandy's bossy nature and Billy's curious attitude funny escapades ensue.

11. Looney Tunes

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-looneytuneswallpaper800.jpg

Looney Tunes is an American animated series of comedy short films produced by Warner Bros. from 1930 to 1969 during the golden age of American animation, alongside its sister series Merrie Melodies

12. Shinchan

Name:  shinchan.png
Views: 1091
Size:  79.5 KB

Crayon Shin-chan, also known as Shin Chan, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yoshito Usui. It follows the adventures of the five-year-old Shinnosuke "Shin" Nohara and his parents, baby sister, dog, neighbours, and friends and is set in Kasukabe, Saitama Prefecture.

13. Kochikame

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-kochikame990x792.jpg

Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen Mae Hashutsujo, often shortened to KochiKame, is a Japanese comedy manga series written and illustrated by Osamu Akimoto.

14. Pinky and the Brain

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-p464334_b_v8_ai.jpg

Cartoon chaos with the genius mouse and his stupid sidekick who try to conquer the world each night.

15. Beyblade

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-home_bg_mob.png

Beyblade, known in Japan as Explosive Shoot Beyblade, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Takao Aoki.

16. Digimon

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-81xwfzzdgkl._sy445_.jpg

Digimon, short for "Digital Monsters", is a Japanese media franchise encompassing virtual pet toys, anime, manga, video games, films and a trading card game

17. Jack the Samurai

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-751644.jpg

When the evil shape-shifting wizard Aku sends the young samurai Jack into a dystopian future, he must find a portal back to his own time to undo Aku's destruction and defeat him.

18. Tom and Jerry

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-250pxtomandjerrytitlecardc.jpg

Tom and Jerry is an American animated series of short films created in 1940 by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera. It centers on a rivalry between its two title characters, Tom, a cat, and Jerry, a mouse, and many other characters.

19. Captain Planet and the Planeteers

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-captain_planet_a_p.jpg

Gaia, the spirit of the planet, assembles a diverse team of "planeteers," who are able to combine their powers to summon an elemental warrior that takes on the appearance of superhero Captain Planet. He works with the planeteers to defend Earth from pollution caused by criminals and villains. As the show's theme song says, Captain Planet is "gonna take pollution down to zero" by defeating the villains, who include the likes of Hoggish Greedly, Dr. Blight and Looten Plunder. The animated series was co-created by media mogul Ted Turner, a noted environmentalist.

What were your favourite cartoons or shows that you watched during your carefree childhood days?
Attached Thumbnails
The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-pokemon.png  

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 8th October 2018 at 18:50.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 18:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cartoons Thread

The Ren and Stimpy show. Loved its humour as a teen, and it probably had an influence on my sarcasm and weird sense of humour later on.

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-the_ren_and_stimpy_show_title_card.jpg

There's been other stuff I watched, including some of what you've listed, but to me this is something that was memorable (Courage the Cowardly Dog is another).
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 19:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread

Samurai Jack is a class apart in story telling. I recently started watching it again when I heard of the new season. Catching up on the previous seasons before getting current, though.
I absolutely cringe when I see what is being doled out in kids channels these days. I used to watch JL, swat kats, the mask, and before that DDs he man, ducktales. Even today, I make it a point not to miss any of the full length features of marvel and DC. Takes you back for the hour, hour and a half.
Old 8th October 2018, 19:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I absolutely cringe when I see what is being doled out in kids channels these days. I used to watch JL, swat kats, the mask, and before that DDs he man, ducktales. Even today, I make it a point not to miss any of the full length features of marvel and DC. Takes you back for the hour, hour and a half.
Exactly! !

What is this Chhota Bheem etc non sense being telecasted in the name of cartoons nowadays?
The golden days have been a thing of past :(
Old 8th October 2018, 19:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Shucks, guess I'm officially middle-aged now! All these cartoons (sorry, 'animated TV serials') listed so far are from my teens!

Spiderman and He-Man on Doordarshan anyone?

Goes to show each generation thinks their favorites were the best. One day, young adults (today's kids) will be reminiscing about how good today's toons were and how their kids' shows are not as great. As an aside, I can no longer watch even one episode of He-Man or read an Archie comic today. Just seems too dull. Can't believe I used to spend hours on those.

Last edited by am1m : 8th October 2018 at 19:37.
Old 8th October 2018, 20:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

Too many individual likes to name, so I'll proclaim my fondness for the medium as a whole instead.

There were some great cartoons on TV when I was growing up; Good writing, engaging storylines, lovely artwork and some really fleshed out characters.

For sheer quality of content, storyline and characterisation, Batman: The Animated Series is one of my all-time favorites. Plenty of modern takes on the caped crusader, but the early-1990s version still ranks amongst the best animated series of all time.

The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-250pxbatman_the_animated_series_logo.jpg

Image Courtesy Wikipedia/IMDB.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th October 2018 at 20:34.
Old 8th October 2018, 20:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

For me they would be Tom and Jerry, He-Man, Spiderman, Fraggle Rock (not animation though), and such from the late 80s early 90s. Mostly on DD2
Old 8th October 2018, 20:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I absolutely cringe when I see what is being doled out in kids channels these days. I used to watch JL, swat kats, the mask, and before that DDs he man, ducktales. .
Well it's due to regulations which creeped after parents in US got worried after seeing these TV shows which showed so much violence.
So dumbing down of cartoons started which sadly has infiltrated educational channel like discovery. Besides it costs a bomb to employ good script writers.

Hanna Barbera produced truly remarkable shows like Johnny quest, Scooby Doo too name a few . Infact number of characters introduced by Hanna Barbera far exceeds Disney.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:14   #9
BHPian

I am such an auto enthusiast, I watched dubbed version of Initial D too. It was good fun.

TL;DR : It was NFS Underground+2F2F.

Wiki:

The story focuses on the world of illegal Japanese street racing, where all the action is concentrated in the mountain passes and rarely in cities or urban areas, and with the drift racing style emphasized in particular. Professional race car driver and pioneer of drifting Keiichi Tsuchiya helped with editorial supervision. The story is centered on the prefecture of Gunma, more specifically on several mountains in the Kantō region and in their surrounding cities and towns. Although some of the names of the locations the characters race in have been fictionalized, all of the locations in the series are based on actual locations in Japan.

Last edited by sharktale : 9th October 2018 at 07:18.
Old 9th October 2018, 09:24   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread

Related thread on cartoon books & images - link (Lighter Side of Life : The Official Cartoons Thread).

My favourite from back then was He-Man! Had the full kit, including the castle and all to play with:

I don't think any human being exists who doesn't enjoy Tom & Jerry .
Old 9th October 2018, 09:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Grew up watching T&J, Looney Tunes, Pink Panther (A personal fav) and of course He-Man. Then it was Swat Kats, Centurions and i forget the one on CN with a great opening theme. Ah well.
Some Johny Bravo and Samurai Jack thrown into the mix as well
Asterix, Tintin, Batman, Spiderman et all...

Animes started with Helsing then Vampire hunter D, Berserk etc etc and of course Initial D.

Now watching Attack on Titan and praying for a new season of Berserk
Old 9th October 2018, 10:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
For sheer quality of content, storyline and characterisation, Batman: The Animated Series is one of my all-time favorites. Plenty of modern takes on the caped crusader, but the early-1990s version still ranks amongst the best animated series of all time.
+10 to that

Probably the first show where Batman was interpreted as the main persona and Bruce Wayne as the alter-ego.
And that voice modulation of Kevin Conroy was super.....
only to be totally upstaged by the ridiculously wonderful Joker by Mark Hamill. Till date, I think Hamill's rendition of Joker's hysterical laugh is the best.
Old 9th October 2018, 10:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
.... totally upstaged by the ridiculously wonderful Joker by Mark Hamill. Till date, I think Hamill's rendition of Joker's hysterical laugh is the best.
I thought I was the only one to believe Joker was probably better done than the lead protagonist.

Joker is a complex personality, and the series invested a lot into that character. Another favorite was the Harvey Dent/Twoface transformation. Spot on.

I could go on for ages, I'll stop here before I get reported for fanboyism

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th October 2018 at 10:56.
Old 9th October 2018, 10:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I am such an auto enthusiast, I watched dubbed version of Initial D too. It was good fun.

TL;DR : It was NFS Underground+2F2F.

Wiki:

The story focuses on the world of illegal Japanese street racing, where all the action is concentrated in the mountain passes and rarely in cities or urban areas, and with the drift racing style emphasized in particular. Professional race car driver and pioneer of drifting Keiichi Tsuchiya helped with editorial supervision. The story is centered on the prefecture of Gunma, more specifically on several mountains in the Kantō region and in their surrounding cities and towns. Although some of the names of the locations the characters race in have been fictionalized, all of the locations in the series are based on actual locations in Japan.
This series is an absolute legend! I love it so much. I still binge watch it occasionally. I just wish it can be remade in 4K resolution and Dolby sound to get a total experience.
Another series similar to this I would recommend is Wangan Midnight. This is about street racing that occurs on Tokyo's Shuto Expressway Bayshore Route.
Attached Thumbnails
The Animated TV serials / Cartoons thread-12936l.jpg  

Old 9th October 2018, 11:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's some old and recent series that were better than most.

Teen titans (the old one, not the current ones)
Green Lantern the series
Young Justice
Avengers all seasons
Silver surfer( this was almost philosophical)
X-men and X-men evolution

Most Viewed