Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 21:29   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: #MeToo - Women's Safety in India

Update on Nirbhaya case

Quote:
A Delhi Court today issued death warrant against four convicts in the 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case. The hanging will take place on January 22 at 7 am.

During the hearing, the prosecution said there was no application pending before any court or the President right now by any of the convicts and the review petition of all the convicts was dismissed by the Supreme Court
Link
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 17:41   #137
Team-BHP Support

Last week, an US congressman abused the youngest US congresswoman in history in front of the Congress building, he even used profanity. She didn't react much, but the reporters at the scene reported the story far and wide because the victim was none other than the very famous AOC.

Because of the resulting backlash from public and media, next day the US congressman decided to justify his behavior by offering a non-apology at the US congress floor. That was a very big mistake.

AOC responded by giving the greatest speech ever on the status of women in US society. That too in the floor of US congress, to be preserved forever. Most people had never heard of Congressman Yoho before this. Now will he go down as the target of one of the greatest speeches ever on women's rights.

Here is the full speech.

Samurai is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 20:43   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. What an amazing human being she is.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:30   #139
Team-BHP Support

What a Speech.

I especially loved the part after 8:30 when she starts thanking the disgusting scoundrel.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:57   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

I knew almost nothing about her, except that she had been the target of some Trumpian nonsense, and I recall some footage of her eviscerating somebody, Zuckerberg, I think, in a committee hearing. From the intelligence and surgical skill of her questioning I assumed that her background must be that of a successful adversarial advocate. Ha! Couldn't have been more wrong.

Anyway... count me a fan
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 17:42   #141
Senior - BHPian

Recent events in UP now show us that even the most incontrovertible evidence, down to a dying declaration, can be rubbished by those in power if it suits them. In such cases, what sort of proof suffices to believe the victim?

I find it difficult to believe that such heinous and abject beings actually exist.
v1p3r is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 18:15   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I find it difficult to believe that such heinous and abject beings actually exist.
Present in all societies. Statistical spread.
What matters is how they are dealt with. Encouraged, enabled, empowered, or told that if you don't crawl back into the woodwork, behind bars is where you'll land up.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 18:18   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Present in all societies. Statistical spread.
What matters is how they are dealt with. Encouraged, enabled, empowered, or told that if you don't crawl back into the woodwork, behind bars is where you'll land up.

Sutripta
Agreed. My question was more rhetorical.

The word 'society' itself might be giving some of these circumstances too much credit.
Old 25th February 2021, 11:01   #144
BHPian

Car ride to gauge women’s safety - 25000 km-100 days

A woman from Kochi, out on a mission. She's driving in her Kwid across the country to gauge how safe India is for women.

Source
nitishk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 16:37   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car ride to gauge women’s safety - 25000 km-100 days

An excellent initiative.

But am Sorry to say, by reading the article am not sure how much effective/practical it's gonna be.
One 25,000 km, 100 days drive across the nation cant judge the overall safety quotient for women in India.
She can judge the mindset of local people towards woman from different parts of India. The outlook of people will differ from Chennai to Mumbai to Jaisalmeer to Srinagar to Delhi to Patna to Kolkata to Shillong!

She might get hold of many stories, some good or some bad, but how is it connected to a car drive?

A stray incident can happen right in front of your house or even 2000 km away from your house.
She might come back from the 25,000 km drive with all great memories, but the very next day while going to her office close to her house, she may experience something which is unacceptable.

Please correct me, if am missing something.

Last edited by Samba : 25th February 2021 at 16:42.
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 17:10   #146
BHPian

Re: Car ride to gauge women’s safety - 25000 km-100 days

Excellent initiative. Will keep a watch on this post. Samba is right in saying there will not be an exact or accurate measure of safety, as it is completely dependent on the point of an incident.

If anything, looking forward to the entire journal on this. To me highway/road safety may include the following details:
1. Time of the day
2. Km travelled
3. Stretch travelled
4. Why the traveller felt safe or unsafe - how populated the stretch is, general orientation of people to women within that stretch, availability of police/admin help, condition of the highway, any pre-biases about the place that got validated or negated etc.

But interesting piece! Good luck.
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks