Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 12:36   #16
BHPian

re: Should Team-BHP take an ethical stand against car scoops?

Scoops enable us to know a (upgraded)product is coming-in. If the manufacturer does not want us to notice, then they should probably test drive the vehicle within their compounds or build something underground wherein nobody sees it until launched.

Scoops help us in waiting for an upgraded product rather than buying something which maybe phased-out. When we spend lakhs on a car, it is best to know if some upgraded version is in store.

From the manufacturer's view, if there are no scoops, then they would have to spend additional money on introducing, marketing, and selling the product.

So, yes, we need scoops .
Old 12th October 2018, 12:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
But untimely leaked scoops of new cars/ UVs will put all their plans into disarray or create unprecedented pressure, it might also end up giving unfair advantage to the competitors.
Begs the question: What if these "untimely" "leaked" "scoops" are actually "timely" "circulated" "disseminations" meant to be picked up for publications through various forums to keep potential consumers interested.

Last edited by SDP : 12th October 2018 at 13:36. Reason: Fixed broken quote
Old 12th October 2018, 12:59   #18
BHPian

I look at it with a different perspective

Scoops - As long as it is limited to what is freely available in the market is fine. Camouflaged cars, exteriors and interiors based on what you see is alright. What is not alright is getting information from sources within the industry and then using it. It does not mean that Team Bhp or members do it.

The other thing is that manufactures make way into our forums as readers and take some of the discussions we have on scoops and use it to reassess the vehicle.

I dont think it is unethical as long as we manage to use public available sources
Old 12th October 2018, 13:57   #19
BHPian

Ah. An interesting thread nonetheless. Interesting enough to tickle the intellectual amongst us.
And the print with such threads is that although they do make up for an interesting read, it s hard to contribute because whatever one can think of- is already said!!
Still expressing my opinion here;
Scoops are deliberate on the part of the company itself. The camouflage is just to arouse our interest by hinting and not showing anything to make it drool worthy. Of the manufactures were that serious about actually hiding it then as already mentioned the vehicles would be tested in the jungles of Amazon or the polar regions. They are more test worthy grounds. So with the company themselves showing what they don't want to show- simply throws the ethical part of it out of the window.

Also I feel that such scoops arouse our interest and provide something to research and debate, thereby helping others as important points are noted and discussed on forums which provides benefits for the reader.

So there is nothing ethical about a practice that is deliberate from the start itself.

But then it gave us this thread to get some really interesting conversation going.
Good one.
Old 14th October 2018, 12:18   #20
BHPian

I would call scoop as unethical only if TBHP pays someone inside factory warm money to get photo/video/data about an ongoing prototype development ; should someone voluntarily share information with this forum and if mods choose to publish after exercising due diligence, I don't think forum is at fault, publishing scoop of a vehicle (camouflaged or otherwise) can't be an ethical question !!
Old 14th October 2018, 13:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Is anything really a scoop nowadays ?

Everyone knows that a product has a specific life. Concept cars indicate what the car will look like. Bits are revealed in advance. Audi showcased the virtual cockpit well before the car. Skoda reveals its Vision series much ahead. We knew the first Santro would be a variant of the Atoz.

Car manufacturers would be typically be ramping down production way ahead of time hence no loss of sales due to a scoop.

The only really strong scoops have been when manufacturers does something totally new or radical. We all know that the new Audi/BMW will be a softer version of the previous one. The strongest scoops in my lifetime were

1: Tata Nano - no one ever knew what it looks at until launch
2: Mercedes W126/W201 = the styling was radical and Mercedes had never done a small car before
3: Porsche developing front engined cars

There used to be a chap called Hans Lehmann who used to haunt the Arctic and Devils Valley in the US and bring these scoops. These scoops would really annoy manufacturers. These came from a time when product cycles were long and indefinite.

Nowadays, everything is predictable. The only thing which are well hidden are facelifts. Normally, these do not require excessive testing in the outside world.

Last edited by ajmat : 15th October 2018 at 18:19.
Old 18th October 2018, 11:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should Team-BHP take an ethical stand against car scoops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Are you open to think there's a possibility these "scoops" are deliberately leaked, or are enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Many times manufacturers intend to 'pass-on' a scoop! Who doesn't like free publicity? And a scoop here and there helps create all that buzz around the car that even manufacturers won't get after spending big money on publicity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
There is nothing unethical about taking a picture of a curious looking car on public roads. If manufacturers really wanted to really hide the looks of their car, they could quite easily paint the car a dullish grey, beat up the body panels a little here and there, throw in a few bumper scratches, ditch the allow wheels and almost nobody would give it a second glance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Begs the question: What if these "untimely" "leaked" "scoops" are actually "timely" "circulated" "disseminations" meant to be picked up for publications through various forums to keep potential consumers interested.
Lots of comments with assumption that all scoops are deliberate by manufacturers. I would not want to generalize all scoops as deliberate leaks. It is like saying when one actress deliberately post their video as leaks does not mean it authorizes public to view all leaks with assumption further leaks of other actress are performed deliberately by actresses.

There is a big difference between posting a pic of a camouflaged car running on public road vs someone posting that he deliberately sneaked from manufacturing space or dealer location without knowledge of others. When out of automotive interest, we start treating all of the scoop in same vein this thin line of ethical behavior blurs out.

Ours is a community that runs on ethical vein because of which we refrain people from posting pics of speedometer, or pics of people consuming alcohol. I do not see why this case should be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I agree to this point. Scoops, inside news from sources or leaks, all of these seem unethical. As if we are peeping into someone's work which he/she doesn't want to showcase. And also at times, it creates a wrong impression/expectation about a product since some of them are rumors and speculations. These are just my thoughts.
PS: I know few instances of people getting fired by an automotive major as they were sharing information (knowingly or unknowingly) about upcoming models, with their friends/acquaintance.
Thanks finally someone who understands and agrees to my views.
Old 18th October 2018, 12:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
With all these things being impacted, shouldn't we take an ethical stand and stop posting scoops. I am open to be corrected.
My two cents to bring clarity to the matter, there is a huge difference between a car scoop and industrial espionage.

When manufacturers are themselves testing their vehicles on the road, why should forums like us stay away from discussing them. Further to this manufacturers themselves orchestrate scoops to create public interest.

So, a scoop doesnt means anything unethical, unless someone does something unethical and posts those details, then it gets qualified as industrial espionage and obviously wont get any support.
Old 18th October 2018, 19:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nothing unethical about car scoops on public roads. As long as we don’t stop the driver at gunpoint and stop him from doing his job, there’s nothing wrong at all. It is wrong to illegally take photos in the factory and post it.

The auto makers release concepts 18-24 months before and to generate interest. Also, the media buzz before launch helps manufacturers to look out for market interest and price it accordingly.

I’m sure capturing photos of camouflaged cars on public roads is absolutely legal.

I think all ‘insider information’ we get is grey. I’m guessing supervisors give subordinates permission to share tid bids. Anyone stands to lose their job/get penalized if they share too much.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 18th October 2018 at 19:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks