Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 17:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure

Till further information, we could give the benefit of doubt to the engineers
Old 22nd October 2018, 17:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

No it is not sky walk. There are no staircases on either side of the structure.

In my opinion, It is something built temporarily for metro work I believe. This may be removed after Metro construction.
Old 29th October 2018, 16:33   #18
BHPian

So, folks, Here goes the steps, Now to all those who thought this is isn't a skywalk
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-skywalksteps.jpg
Old 29th October 2018, 18:48   #19
BHPian

This could very well be a part of line 3 of Namme Metro, which I found from here (https://themetrorailguy.com/2018/03/...ctronics-city/) is the exact same spot you noticed... That is near the e city toll plaza. There is a metro station planned for that location christened Electronic City 2 for now. The structure you see could be one of the structural support for the extra load of the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_ak View Post
So, folks, Here goes the steps, Now to all those who thought this is isn't a skywalk
Attachment 1812972
As for the staircase you see, look for Hallder safety netting and scaffolding. The size and platform fit the bill perfectly for the scaffolding.
Oh, let me just put it here.
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-1540819090786.jpg
Notice how there are landing after just 8 steps? Normally a skywalk doesn't have landing in between (to save cost maybe?).
Also, you can see the metro construction work in the background in your latest pic.

So yeah, I would give the benefit of the doubt to our engineers.

Last edited by GrandTourer : 29th October 2018 at 18:49.
Old 29th October 2018, 18:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
As for the staircase you see, look for Hallder safety netting and scaffolding. The size and platform fit the bill perfectly for the scaffolding.
Oh, let me just put it here.
Attachment 1813017
Notice how there are landing after just 8 steps? Normally a skywalk doesn't have landing in between (to save cost maybe?).
Also, you can see the metro construction work in the background in your latest pic.

So yeah, I would give the benefit of the doubt to our engineers.

The staircase has a clear lading on the ones that are present here.
Metro work, though close to the place being worked on, cannot cover the entire breadth of the road from one side to the other for a scaffolding. Remember the finished pillars you see are of the Electronic City Elevated Toll Road.
Old 18th December 2018, 10:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Work in progress shot from yesterday. Now keep guessing:

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-img_20181217_123723.jpg
Old 18th December 2018, 14:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Work in progress shot from yesterday. Now keep guessing:

Attachment 1829074
There will be a pair of stairs leading up to and down from the flyover. And maybe they will decide to paint a zebra crossing on the road.

Why should flyovers be exempt from jaywalkers and mad crossers?
Old 18th December 2018, 14:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

They are going to remove the flyover since it impedes clear passage of pedestrians
Guess someone should ask people in the know and break the suspense
Old 18th December 2018, 14:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
They are going to remove the flyover since it impedes clear passage of pedestrians
Guess someone should ask people in the know and break the suspense
On yesterday when I clicked this image on my way to a place for lunch I asked a welder deployed here showing how one will pass below the flyover to which he was silent and said "sahab ko bataunga"( will tell my boss).

I am still not sure how if this is indeed a pedestrian skywalk that has been witnessing progress with laying stairs now and someone in the team hasn't noticed the flaw. Or is this something else?
Old 18th December 2018, 16:27   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Karthick S for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I happened to bump into this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...n-failure.html (India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure)

There is maintenance work going on in the flyover and that's the scaffolding for it. Its not a skywalk per se. Here is the related news https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67133109.cms
Old 18th December 2018, 16:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Karthick S for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
I seriously doubt this maintenance work has got to do anything with the structure that you notice in the pictures.

In all probabilities it looks like a skywalk and this has been there since quite a few months now with proper steps emerging on both sides of the metal structures along with proper foundation made of concrete to support this.

Also, the location where this is coming up is right at a signaled pedestrian crossing (where my workplace is) and it seems like one of the many skywalks that have started to finally see ray of light on Bangalore roads.

The topic of maintenance work on BETPL is also being discussed here.

The said article nowhere mentions about such a structure and if one looks at the pics this clearly hints like something permanent. The article mentions that work will be carried out at 1.5 km stretch at a time (the flyover is 8.75 kms long) and if this structure had to do anything with it, imagine such construction coming up every 1.5 km.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th December 2018 at 16:44.
Old 18th December 2018, 16:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I seriously doubt this maintenance work has got to do anything with the structure that you notice in the pictures.
I think you are correct. The structure in the pictures is at the beginning of the flyover (E-city) side.
The repairs are being done somewhere near the middle of the flyover (pretty away from the structure in the pictures).
Old 18th December 2018, 17:19   #28
BHPian

Expansion joint maintenance is a regular activity which needs to be carried out.

Most of the work happens on top of the bridges, flyovers etc. If at all some work needs to be carried out from the bottom it doesn't need such an elaborate and complex structure spanning the road from one end to the other .

Old 18th December 2018, 22:40   #29
BHPian

Curious and impatient!

Would you question A.R.Rahman in the middle of his composition? What about trying to make sense of a Leonardo da Vinci painting in the middle of his work?

No! That would be sacrilege.

BBMP are a piece of work on their own - one would never know what they have been working on until after they have seemingly classified the work as completed!
Old 14th January 2019, 09:12   #30
BHPian

Hello All,

To all those who have had multiple confusions on this Skywalk, here it goes. I do not understand the enthusiasm of us BHPians to say it is *not* a skypwalk. Anyways, these pics do the talking, and boy, I haven't seen a larger bug fix than this!

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-fix1.jpg

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-fix2.jpg

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-fix3.jpg

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-fix4wideview.jpg

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-stepstoskywalk.jpg

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-stepswideview.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks