Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2019, 18:51   #31
BHPian

Re: India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure

For those who do not understand what happened, I have compared two close up pics of how the skywalk was before, and now. They have added an additional support beam which would fix the earlier vertical clearance issue for skywalk.

If this is not an afterthought, why on earth was the metal not designed considering this at the first place? Refer attached pic below:
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-fixcomparison.jpg
Old 4th April 2019, 11:20   #32
BHPian

I am kind of sure the skywalk design is original and not an afterthought considering the other options would be -
a) Go underground which might disrupt traffic on this NH (also maybe additional approvals)
b) Go above the elevated flyover
- huge cost to build the skywalk after provisioning for height clearance for large vehicles and
- People will not use it as it will be too high (escalator will also have to be costed)
Attached Thumbnails
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-img_20190401_090806.jpg  

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-img_20190331_090901.jpg  

kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 12:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_ak View Post

If this is not an afterthought, why on earth was the metal not designed considering this at the first place?
Probably, the sky walker engineers would have assumed, Fly over would be modified later and raised by another few feet to create the space for sky walkers

When Flyover department did not budge, sky walkers would have budged and modified the fly over
Old 4th April 2019, 19:00   #34
BHPian

This is how you can make officials, contractors and people in power happy. Do something mindlessly, find that it’s not working so rework on it. New contracts, more money, more production of materials - results in GDP growth.
Old 4th April 2019, 19:15   #35
BHPian

I find it highly improbable that an entire sky walk would be constructed without considering the height of the flyover right above it and how people would have to "crawl" across.

In light of the recent modifications, I believe it can be said that this design was indeed pre-planned.

As can be seen in one of the photos, had the sky walk been any lower in its original form, it would not have left sufficient clearance for tall vehicles.

I think we should cut some slack to the architects, engineers and officials who have designed this sky walk.

Best,
Enigmatic
Old 4th April 2019, 20:13   #36
BHPian

I don't think that is an afterthought. To me it seems it was designed to be like this from the beginning.
Any such structure will have detailed dimensional drawings before any work starts.
If we, lay people, could see this as an aberration from the pics during the initial stages, the ones who are working even at the lowest level would have pointed it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks