Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2018, 13:36   #1
BHPian

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure

For most riders around the Hosur Road Electronics City toll, Bangalore, there are many reasons to stare at awe on the various infrastructure changes that are happening around. Each day, as we take this road, we wonder at the pace at which Metro construction is going on at this stretch (compared to how it used to move at MG Road some 10 years ago. All of a sudden, I come up with this weird (under construction) "sky walk", exactly at the Electronic City bus stop, allowing pedestrians to cross the dreaded Hosur Road.

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-skywalk.jpg

Just to familiarize the place and the intent of the piece of metal, a wide angle view
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-img_20181019_150325.jpg

To match the scale of people, check the people walking around
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-img_20181019_150349.jpg

Another close up picture..
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-img_20181019_150422.jpg

And I am more surprised!
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-img_20181019_150424.jpg

OK, so this is just another piece of metal?? Well no. Is it an engineering failure?? Well maybe. If they had not thought of it as a crawling sky walk, this must surely be an engineering error of greatest "heights". The sky walk passes under the elevated road leaving just 4 feet or less space and it seems awkwardly close to the underbelly of the elevated road.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Or has anybody else noticed it?

Last edited by kaushik_ak : 19th October 2018 at 21:22.
kaushik_ak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 08:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Shifting Gears Section. Thanks for sharing!

I don't know whether to or
Old 20th October 2018, 08:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a work in progress picture. They intend to make an underpass below the vehicle flyover by carving out the concrete for a 3 feet tunnel so that people upto 7' tall can walk through.

If that is below these engineers' standards, then they might decide to make a overbridge over the flyover for adults to cross the road - and call it "space walk". Kids under 4' can still use the lower part of the skywalk.

But then, maybe we are fools to believe it to be a skywalk. It might just be an additional support structure for the flyover.
Old 20th October 2018, 08:48   #4
BHPian

Haha...What is the gap height there for one to crawl/walk?

What a waste of public funds. Is it possible it's still a work-in-progress and they plan on further modifications, say, by introducing a step-down and a step-up to increase that gap height?

Mysterious are ways of the over-lords!
Old 20th October 2018, 10:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Does not really look like a pedestrian skywalk to me. Could be a WIP for something else perhaps?
Old 20th October 2018, 10:41   #6
BHPian

Looks on par with infra projects in Bangalore - unnecessarily complex, will look like a work in progress forever, and will be useless.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Can an F1 car pass underneath? Then maybe Bangalore municipality can start a shuttle service to ferry pedestrians from one side to another.

I can also see in the near future the skywalk will be split at this point with a staircase leading down to the ground and then back up.

Last edited by SDP : 20th October 2018 at 23:42. Reason: Typo
Old 20th October 2018, 11:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

The real beneficiaries will be our politicians, it is a good place to put their flex boards.
Old 20th October 2018, 12:54   #9
BHPian

Definitely not a sky walk or pedestrian cross over. This structure could be to support a pipe line. Here are some pointers
1. Supporting structure is not heavy, no way close to any of the existing sky walks in Bangalore.
2. Side railing/support is very short, sky walks are always enclosed ones (at least over the road/rail)
3. Our great engineering minds can design something like this (I am also an engineer ), but they could have stopped during the installation stage. Just to save from trolls
Old 20th October 2018, 13:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I echo deathwalkr's question - I'm not sure I can see any provision for stairs on either end (although it could be done later). It makes me wonder if it is meant as a support for something else (e.g. GAIL gas lines, or piping) - anything that they don't want to cut across such an arterial road for installation or maintenance.

Our planners are fully capable of such folly in designing things, but for them to construct the blue trusses beneath the new concrete metro line seems to be an intentional and planned activity.

Time will tell - either we will come to know the purpose of this structure, or our planners will truly raise the bar on ineptitude.

EDIT: Beaten to it by hillsnrains

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th October 2018 at 13:03.
Old 20th October 2018, 13:48   #11
BHPian

Looks like a water main pipe crossing to me but normally they are found across water bodies like rivers or lakes. Have not seen similar ones crossing a road.

Some examples from Google search:
Attached Thumbnails
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-images.jpeg  

India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-images-2.jpeg  

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 20th October 2018 at 13:49.
Old 20th October 2018, 13:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

This is definitely not a skywalk. Could be for some pipeline transportation.
Old 20th October 2018, 14:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This is definitely not a skywalk. Could be for some pipeline transportation.
Even I thought so, until I saw a "break" in the metal parapet at one of the pillars which is supposedly for stairs.

Take a look at the below pic (marked):
India's first *crawling* Sky walk in E-City, Bangalore! A design failure-screenshot_20181020_140439.jpg
Old 21st October 2018, 09:52   #14
BHPian

1) I dont think its a skywalk.
2) Even if its a skywalk, how are we sure that the height of the side railings is only 4 foot such that no person can walk beneath the flyover? At least I can't judge this distance from the pics.
3) Present skywalks are at least 12 -15 foot in height at least what I have observed in Mumbai
4) I think its a support structure for a pipeline or sorts.Even the gap between the side railings, which you have shown might be for a staircase for pipe repair work? Well even repairman would find a tough time if its only 4 foot height. Add to it the trouble of installing the pipe within that confined space.

Hmm not sure what it is, definitely not a skywalk and if it is so then probably one of the engineering blunders of the modern day world!

Or is it a new one lane special road being built for only low slung lamborghinis and ferraris ☺️

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 21st October 2018 at 09:55.
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
1) I dont think its a skywalk.
2) Even if its a skywalk, how are we sure that the height of the side railings is only 4 foot such that no person can walk beneath the flyover? At least I can't judge this distance from the pics.

4) I think its a support structure for a pipeline or sorts.Even the gap between the side railings, which you have shown might be for a staircase for pipe repair work? Well even repairman would find a tough time if its only 4 foot height. Add to it the trouble of installing the pipe within that confined space.
4 feet was an approximation.

If it is a pipeline, the steel structure shouldn't end at a footpath, but has to continue further. It abruptly ends at the footpath.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks