Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Which is your preferred device to browse Team-BHP?
Desktop/Laptop 302 63.85%
iPad/touchscreen tablet with an onscreen-keyboard 17 3.59%
Mobile web browser/TBHP app 125 26.43%
Don’t know/Can’t say/Depends on the situation or activity 29 6.13%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2018, 12:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Which is your preferred device for using Team-BHP?

Coming to this topic, the mobile version of the forum doesn't seem to be working on chrome since past one week. It's getting stressful for the eyes to read the desktop version on a small 5 inch screen. Gave up on the app a long time ago as the other mediums were far better. Anybody else facing this issue?
Old 18th November 2018, 14:17   #47
BHPian

95% of the time I browse Team BHP on my smartphone on the Chrome browser. With smartphone screens getting bigger and bigger, most of my general content consumption is through the smartphone. Although for thread creation, a laptop/desktop is preferable
Old 18th November 2018, 18:09   #48
BHPian

My order of preference goes like this:

1. Mobile browser - for search results, quick reads, sharing, saving to Evernote or Pocket. This is usually the starting point.
2. Laptop - for proper info and research/insights. Usually driven from the results in 1 above.
3. Desktop version in the mobile browser - provides related articles at the bottom of the article
4. Rarely, very rarely

Not that I am not used to mobile surfing, but with team-bhp - am able to extract the full benefit only when I am on the laptop. There are so many interconnected articles that keeping them together on tabs helps navigation and filtering as well.

And another important reason - the lovely pics are admirable only on the 15.6 inch screen, the same reason why I went to IMAX for Fantastic Beasts this time!!
Old 18th November 2018, 19:25   #49
BHPian

With mobile web app version, it’s lot more convenient to read the reviews and threads.

If I have to post, desktop/laptop is best yet posting from cell phone ( like now ) is a
cakewalk.
Old 18th November 2018, 20:14   #50
BHPian

My preferred device of using Team-BHP has been my laptop since i sold my iPad. Website view on chrome browser of an ipad with a fast wifi is the best way for enjoying Team-BHP because of its convenience. The app on IOS has lot of bugs and limited options. So app is used only when traveling and mostly just for reading.
Old 19th November 2018, 00:41   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Team-BHP's mobile version is awesome (the app sucks).
Totally agreed!

I have never visited team bhp on my laptop or my tablet. Never used the app either. In fact I filled the (quite elaborate) registration form on my phone.
TBH most of my browsing is through Chrome on Android. Only use the laptop for document editing or other work related tasks. Tablet is the second screen for media consumption in the background.

One great initiative I appreciate a lot is the weekly digest. Really helpful in catching up with all the activity from the last few days on the weekend.

Last edited by sleepyk : 19th November 2018 at 00:45.
Old 19th November 2018, 05:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Desktop.

The content is so good and rich that you enjoy viewing and reading on a nice big display. So much easier on your eyes. You don't have to squint like you would on a smaller device.

I also have a net book plugged in to a 27" display as the 11" screen is a nightmare and cannot accommodate all the content as well as I would like. I must add that my basic net book struggles with tbhp cause it is content heavy. A fast desktop/laptop with loads of ram and super fast SSD makes a world of a difference, even for something as basic as browsing web pages.

I don't bother loading up the desktop site on my iphone nor do I have the App. I tried the App once and gave up.

I have tried the App on an iPad and it works well, mainly due to more screen space. However; if I must quote multiple people or posts, I still find it difficult to the point that I would just wait for a desktop or laptop to be available and then do it.

I once tried browsing tbhp on a colleagues curved 32" display. Best desktop experience ever.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th November 2018 at 05:22.
Old 19th November 2018, 09:18   #53
BANNED

I somehow tried the App (free one) and did not like it. The only thing I am somewhat comfortable with is Facebook. Rest of the stuff I use my Mac.

Last edited by GTO : 25th November 2018 at 07:56. Reason: typo
Old 19th November 2018, 11:34   #54
BHPian

As long as a I have access to laptop, I will use it. If I am lazing on bed and just want to browse, then I use IPad through app.

I used to use the web browser on phone when I had the Windows phone.

I too agree, the app has lot of scope for improvements
Old 19th November 2018, 12:58   #55

Desktop for me. I have tried using the mobile app, but I didn't get the look and feel of the Desktop. I will switch to the mobile app if I get the same experience as using the desktop, that is after office hours.
Old 19th November 2018, 15:57   #56
BHPian

My order of Preference:-

Desktop/Laptop: For major website browsing
iPad: For general browsing + viewing pictures
Mobile web browser: For quick browsing/convenience
TBHP app: Don't use
Old 19th November 2018, 20:45   #57
BHPian

For me, Desktop has always been the preferred device for accessing team-BHP. I have been following the forum meticulously for the last 9 years, ages before my membership approval.

I love to read the articles that are supported by a lot of pictures, whether it is an official review or a ownership experience or a travelogue or a DIY discussion or even Accessories/Parts discussion thread. To view/observe the pictures carefully, I always prefer the biggest screen that I could manage. Infact, during my abroad days, I had a 65 inch TV coupled with Chromecast and I have used that for enjoying some of the selected picturesque content on our beloved forum.

And currently, I have even managed to get a 27 inch monitor at my workplace.
Old 19th November 2018, 21:43   #58
BHPian

Usually it depends on the time and device in hand. But my preference is
1. Desktop (Big Screen)
2. iPad (While lying down and reading or doing general browsing)
3. Mobile web browser (while on move or waiting for somebody like in front of school to pick kid)
4. TBHP app: sometimes
Old 20th November 2018, 08:56   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to use both smartphone and the desktop to access the forum. But once the new picture uploading system came into place, it was easy to upload and organise uploaded pictures even from a smartphone. Hence, totally using smartphone now.

I even wrote my Storme ownership review completely with my mobile.
Old 20th November 2018, 21:34   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Coming to this topic, the mobile version of the forum doesn't seem to be working on chrome since past one week.
Seems like a problem with my chrome. Works with other browsers.

Most Viewed