Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your preferred device to browse Team-BHP?
Desktop/Laptop 302 63.85%
iPad/touchscreen tablet with an onscreen-keyboard 17 3.59%
Mobile web browser/TBHP app 125 26.43%
Don’t know/Can’t say/Depends on the situation or activity 29 6.13%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 02:13   #1
BHPian

Which is your preferred device for using Team-BHP?

I have been regularly visiting this portal for the past couple of years, long before my membership request was approved a few months ago. I would fire up my iPad and browse endlessly, and zoom in on pictures and switch threads as I pleased. However, of late, my device preferences have changed and I realise that nowadays, I prefer using my iPad for general browsing and posting short replies (and especially for tapping and zooming in on pics), whereas I prefer a desktop to type out longer replies and/or upload images, or to even start a new thread/topics, in spite of the option to upload pics being fully available on the iPad also. I suppose I prefer the convenience of a full sized keyboard and mouse to do all the typing and editing. Interestingly though, I still use my iPhone web browser frequently but only to read comments on threads I am already following, or to quickly glance at the home page. And although I have known all along about the availability of a dedicated TBHP app for iOS, I rarely use it. As a matter of fact, I prefer the mobile web version of our portal to the skinned version available vide the app.

That said, the iPad is still my preferred device to browse Team-BHP, and its only on rare occasions that I look for a proper PC to visit this site. I suppose its because I’ve become so used to using the iPad for everything these days.

This got me curious about the device preferences of other members for using Team BHP, and I’d like to host a poll to gauge device preferences among fellow BHPians to browse TBHP.

So, do you prefer browsing Team-BHP on your desktop/laptop browser, or do you value the convenience of a tablet/iPad touchscreen to do all your activities on this portal? Or are you platform agnostic, and don’t mind which device you end up with to access this site? Do comment below with detailed responses.

Last edited by gk1234 : 30th October 2018 at 02:41.
Old 30th October 2018, 02:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Which is your preferred platform to browsing Team-BHP?

The app is no longer usable, it has not been updated for a very long time. I use chrome on my phone. Have saved Tbhp on my home screen.
Old 30th October 2018, 03:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which is your preferred device for using Team-BHP?

The reason I prefer a computer to a phone or tablet for browsing the internet is screen size. A phone is too small and a tab, unless accompanied by a keyboard, is impractical because you need to type on the screen itself.
Old 30th October 2018, 05:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not only did I register here using my Android phone, I do most of my browsing and typing too using the same. I have used laptops, computers, mobiles and iPad to access team-bhp at various times, but the smartphone skin on the mobile is my preferred route of interaction.

Laptops and computers aren't always accessible, iPad isn't as quick as smartphones (slow WiFi being one of the reasons) and there is that problem of a stretched screen which puts me off. Hence, most of my posts have been from the three smartphones that we have at home. I have used a majority of the browsers available in the play store and have currently settled with Brave. How I wish we had a full fledged Android-iOS app for team-bhp!

If it were only for browsing the site, I could perhaps depend on my iPad. However, the urge to thank a useful post, combined with the need to respond wherever/whenever needed, forces me to turn to the small screen every now and then.

And that's why, when a few posts end with a refrain similar to "I am posting from my mobile, so let me be short" / "I am unable to quote the relevant bits as I am posting from my mobile" etc, I have a sly smile on my lips. I am also amused to see the standard Apple signature "Posted from my iPhone" creep into the posts at times .
Old 30th October 2018, 05:47   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The reason I prefer a computer to a phone or tablet for browsing the internet is screen size. A phone is too small and a tab, unless accompanied by a keyboard, is impractical because you need to type on the screen itself.
I agree. So I mostly use my iPad with its attached add on keyboard and the web browser rather than the app. Because the app isn’t nearly as versatile.
Old 30th October 2018, 08:36   #6
BHPian

I mostly browse using phone as it is convenient when travelling to office in a bus. Tbhp app does not provide the experience as like website. The issue I face when using mobile is about posting. If you want to multi quote or attach snaps, it is not a seamless experience.
Old 30th October 2018, 08:37   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Related Thread (Your surfing pattern on Team-BHP?)

Desktop! Am a big "desk guy" during working hours. It takes a lot to move me from my chair in the day. Mobile might be okay for reading content, but desktop only for creating content (posts, reviews, threads) and for moderating duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I use chrome on my phone. Have saved Tbhp on my home screen.
Happy to hear . Team-BHP's mobile version is awesome (the app sucks).
Old 30th October 2018, 08:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

I chose the 3rd option. But, for me it's primarily the Chrome browser on my Phone, and not the App. The App is horrendous!
Old 30th October 2018, 08:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

As a former gamer, I like large screens, the bigger the better. Using a mobile is a pain whether through the app or the browser. That means I always prefer a desktop 1st, a laptop 2nd and the mobile only when away from my computers.
Old 30th October 2018, 09:09   #10
Team-BHP Support

Mobile version on chrome browser is good enough for reading posts. But if I need to reply to a post/thread, it has to be on a desktop/laptop.

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th October 2018 at 09:17.
Old 30th October 2018, 09:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

It's the Safari browser on my iPad where at least a couple of tabs have Team Bhp open/logged in them. For browsing/small posts and replies, this is my preferred mode of usage. For anything detailed, I prefer my laptop.
Old 30th October 2018, 09:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

So far, I received four infractions for Poor Spellings / Grammar. All of these happened because of poorly typed post in the mobile browser. I do have an inbuilt spell checker on my mobile. Somehow it's not that effective.

After my last infraction, I stopped using mobile for content creation. I use mobile to read contents and laptop for new post /threads. I tried to use Team-BHP android app but that's useless. I strongly suggest Mod team to do something for Team-BHP android app. I use instant email notification for some of the threads. However, if we can push desired notifications from Android app, that can be best.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 10:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

Desktop, always. Have been a desktop guy since day one and I some how don't like using a lap-top. Given a choice over any fancy lap-top, I will any day go for a desktop.

When I am on the go, my mobile phone comes to the rescue, here, I use chrome. But I am a person who prefers desktop for messages.android, for WhatsApp, for FB, Insta...everything, a pity I can't do voice calls
Old 30th October 2018, 10:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

For browsing internet, nothing can beat a desktop experience. Same for TBHP. Quoting, creating posts, attaching images, multi-tab browsing are a few advantages where mobile phones simply cannot catch up with a desktop.

When in read only mode, I use my phone's Safari; but when it comes to posting, desktop is my go-to choice and has remained so despite laptops/ tabs etc coming in.

Thanks!
Old 30th October 2018, 10:24   #15
BHPian

My preference order

Reading: IPAD, also the pictures really pop out full screen
Writing: Desktop/Laptop
Convenience: mobile website from phone browser

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks