Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 15:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The gory killing of tigress Avni - A mother and our national animal

We live in a world where criminals (probable, as they would not have gone through trials yet) when cannot be nabbed, try to escape or retaliate, they get killed. But when a animal like tiger which is believed to have killed many people gets killed, people get very emotional. This could be because Tiger is such majestic and animal. I read comments like 'forests are tiger territory, what business humans have....'. Many urbanites don't realize that just like they have been living in the cities, many villagers, farmers and tribal people have been living either in the middle of a forest or the edges. Interacting with the forest is part of their lives. Forest for them is not something to romanticize and treat like a picnic spots to be visited in guarded vehicles.
It is a human centric world and if an animal is proven to be dangerous to humans around, it will be killed probably in any country.
PS: This is a generic post, I don't have first hand information about whether there are vested interests and the protocol was followed.
Old 7th November 2018, 16:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Perspective of the shooters from https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/66525827.cms. Also , the cubs are man eaters as per Asghar Ali :

Quote:
They are no longer cubs. They are semi-adults. Unfortunately, it was found that they were also man-eaters. The last three humans killed by them in the last one month, were by the cubs. This was scientifically proved through the saliva test. Adult tigers attack humans on thighs and eat the flesh. Cubs tend to attack on the neck and face. Our operation will continue till they are captured and put in the ARC.
Old 7th November 2018, 16:58   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asghar Ali
But, when she charged towards us, the only option I was left with was to shoot Avni, to protect not only myself but also the five forest officers around me. We all were in an open top jeep. There was not even a second's time for me to deliberate on it, except for shooting at it. It was a reflex action.
Since there were 5 forest officers with him, I guess his account is true. So, what were his options other than killing it?
Old 7th November 2018, 18:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post

*(V) PRESENT CASE OF T1 a.k.a. AVANI –
- A huge chunk of her territory is covered with small villages, farm lands etc.
- Her first human kill was in 2016, and since then, she had killed 12 more humans.
- At present, she was a mother to two 10 months old cubs.
- Forest Department was working towards mitigating this human-animal conflict and spreading awareness among villagers about do’s and don’ts about living in a tiger dominated landscape.
- It was after she made 3 humans kills in a row that order to capture her or to shoot her were put in force by the PCCF.
- The said order was challenged by activists in Supreme Court and the Supreme Court, considering the situation on the field, upheld the PCCF’s orders.
- The orders were to either tranquilize and capture the tigress alive, or to shoot her down. The efforts of the search team were in the said direction, and if the tranquilizing could not be achieved, she was destined to meet the unfortunate end.
��
The dispute is in this point - there was no proof that she was a man eater. The tiger most probably killed the people in self defense - that too only 5. The other 8 is not proven at all. This was not investigated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since there were 5 forest officers with him, I guess his account is true. So, what were his options other than killing it?
This particular guy should not have been there. Simple. Since this person was already has earned notoriety as a trigger happy Tiger killer, forest department should have refrained from using his services. That there are no other expert sharp shooters like him is just his version.

Though am personally not in favour of tranquilising a tiger and sending it to jail - I feel there are too many unanswered questions in this case
Old 7th November 2018, 18:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
2 things - this operation was done in the evening in an open Gypsy instead of a machan in daytime, which (from what I have read) is not the usual modus operandi for tranquilize and capture. And secondly, T1 was shot in her belly which indicates it was a sideways shot rather than head on

The sharpshooter had already boasted about how he has killed so many single handedly over the years, so his account (or that of his son) could well be not entirely true

Edit also the fact that some forest department officials have said off the record to publications like NDTV that the dart was planted after T1 was shot and killed

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 7th November 2018 at 19:01.
Old 7th November 2018, 19:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Really sad state of affairs

There are reports that whenever Avni attacked it was inside the forest and has always attacked only in self defense
Really sad state of affairs. I hope the culprits are nabbed and pray that it is not made another political issue.
Attached Thumbnails
The gory killing of tigress Avni - A mother and our national animal-img20181107wa0014.jpg  

Old 8th November 2018, 05:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Spot on. Thanks to FB warriors and 'Influencers', Elephant conservation and anti poaching efforts have taken a big hit. Rich big game hunters in organized hunting trips were a big funding aid to anti poaching teams in Africa. Due to FB hounding, and social media nutjobs, now people are backing out, and the result is devastating to African wildlife.

i wonder how many of these insta clowners will actually pay money to fund anti poaching squads.
I dont think it is as black and white as you make it out to be.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...aving-animals/
Old 8th November 2018, 07:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
The jungle stands because of them, and the jungle falls because of our needs. Their support is critical to any conservation activity
Thanks JayKis, very informative.

I have a friend who is a Tiger lover, who roams from forest to forest and claims sighting a Tiger as attaining Salvation. Driven by my itch to rub salt over injury, I asked him about Avni.

Here is the reply...

“I’m extremely saddened by the loss of Avni. I’m sure the forest guards also would be equally sad.
In general tigers do not attack humans, we are not in their menu. There can be circumstances when it can charge such as in self defence or to show territorial aggression or to protect her cubs. But that’s only for the first time and then it learns, humans are easy prey. The very reason why old Tigers attack humans. If that happens we have no choice, yea we can captivate it but then you risk the caretaker. Indeed I’m sad for Avni, but a man-eater is a man-eater, period.”

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 8th November 2018 at 07:33.
Old 8th November 2018, 10:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dispute is in this point - there was no proof that she was a man eater. The tiger most probably killed the people in self defense - that too only 5. The other 8 is not proven at all. This was not investigated.
Those 5 Killed by this tiger is just a number, isn't it?

I too am sadden by the killing, but be rational, Imagine the fear in the minds of the villagers who live with a constant fear, They cannot go out or let their kids out to even play.

Its sad that so many people are out with their pitch forks with vivid Conspiracy theories.

Pramod
Old 8th November 2018, 11:14   #25
BANNED

The death of the tigress, in the prime of her life, is indeed very saddening. The cause of the death is the very real conflict between man and every other animal on this planet. While some believe that this can be controlled through regulations and monitoring, I think that Man will never get the better of his greed and his blood lust.
There is a fair amount of public outcry over the issue because the animal concerned is a tiger which brings out certain emotions in people, just like a cute dog or a majestic stallion would. On the other hand, we slaughter millions of animals every day so that the supermarkets are well stocked with the pink flesh of innocent creatures. To those inclined to killing, this tiger should just be another number, right?
Old 8th November 2018, 11:18   #26
BHPian

I don't see anything wrong in killing a man-eater tiger. Even if it was for self defense, I will say being human our top most priority is to save humans and that is what all living creatures do. I have seen videos of lion/tigers trying to kill buffalo/gorilla/crocodile/elephant and all species fighting/trying to protect their race first.

Humans will kill whatever will harm them directly be it a mosquito, cockroach, rat/mice or a tiger. Otherwise I am not in a favor to harm any living being and try not disturb them unnecessarily.

Last edited by roby_dk : 8th November 2018 at 11:19.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 12:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Those 5 Killed by this tiger is just a number, isn't it?
I've never said that. You are deliberately looking at only one part of the sentence. I have clearly mentioned that probably the Tiger might have attacked in self defense. The figure 5 was given only emphasise the fact the investigation was not done properly. Not to trivialise the deaths. (Whatever I've said here is very clear from my previous post until you twisted it to give you a supposed moral superiority, unfortunately)

The tiger did not kill to eat. And you can eliminate a Man-eater. For the normal Tiger you are supposed to relocate. Procedure is very clear.

The way the Tiger was killed is also under dispute. The poor foresters also cannot be blamed here because they are clearly operating under instructions from top

Until a clear answer is obtained as to why a hasty decision was taken to employ a shady character to kill the tiger I will bat for the tiger
Old 8th November 2018, 13:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont think it is as black and white as you make it out to be.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...aving-animals/
It is a very well written emotional article. We are talking about cold heartless logic
Old 8th November 2018, 14:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've never said that. You are deliberately looking at only one part of the sentence. I have clearly mentioned that probably the Tiger might have attacked in self defense. The figure 5 was given only emphasise the fact the investigation was not done properly. Not to trivialise the deaths. (Whatever I've said here is very clear from my previous post until you twisted it to give you a supposed moral superiority, unfortunately)
I didn't twist anything, a benefit of doubt is only given once, this tiger had done 5 proved killings and 8 killings where it couldn't be proved that it was this very tiger who killed those 8 people. Now those 13 lives matter, Now circling back to the original question, what makes you think that they didn't try to tranquilize it? Because a known tiger hunter/his son is part of the crew?

Quote:
The tiger did not kill to eat. And you can eliminate a Man-eater. For the normal Tiger you are supposed to relocate. Procedure is very clear.
Lets talk about this scenario, do you have proof that the tiger didn't kill to eat? Do you have access to the post mortem reports of these 5 confirmed kills to ascertain that they were just killed and not eaten? Tiger is a predator, its not just a hunter.

Quote:
The way the Tiger was killed is also under dispute. The poor foresters also cannot be blamed here because they are clearly operating under instructions from top
you are looking at this scenario like most are, this is not a game killing Period

Quote:
Until a clear answer is obtained as to why a hasty decision was taken to employ a shady character to kill the tiger I will bat for the tiger
I hope this question gets answered above.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 14:20   #30
BHPian

Let's for a moment not make any conclusions on whether the tiger killing was right or wrong. Can each of us who made a comment taking a side on this thread can re-answer the same question just assuming that one of the killed person were a known person? Will the answer change based on this. Try it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks