Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2018, 08:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Attention to detail - Are we getting carried away?

For a casual reader, the details in a review may be too much. But to help such people, we now have that index at the beginning so that you can skip over to the section that interests you easily.

The attention to detail approach really helps when you are seriously considering purchasing the car. Not just when it is launched , but maybe 1-2 years down the line. Or even 5 years down through line if you are looking at it as a pre-owned option. All those little details really help at that time in my opinion.

Regarding videos, there are plenty of video reviews out there, but there is no written review as detailed as team-bhp. Going the video way may mean compromising on the write up. This way we can always watch the videos to get the high levels picture and then come here and read the detailed review.Best of both worlds.
Old 8th December 2018, 08:49   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I think our reviews are fantastic - I can’t ever accept that there can be too much attention to detail or too many high quality pictures as part of a review (or a travelogue for that matter). I do agree that this quality is coming at a cost - of extremely delayed reviews of new cars, and perhaps we should consider some kind of trade off - where we have a mini review in the launch thread followed by the full blown review. I also appreciate the value of quality video reviews - as an addition to a high quality text review.

But what we forget is that the Mods in Team BHP are volunteers who have day jobs to do, and families to spend time with. I am sure that their partners and kids already feel they spend too much time on this site. So unless more of us volunteer to step up as Mods (and demonstrate the ability to step up), we can’t have more official reviews or faster reviews. But nothing stops the OP or any of us from posting video reviews of cars - I have learnt as much from some of the quality ownership threads as I have from official reviews.
Old 8th December 2018, 15:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the photos.

Taking for granted that a car actually runs with required performance, I am, if looking at a review, more interested in the interior, dashboard, seats etc than anything else, and from that point of view, I too would say that there can't be too many photos.

I'd also rather look at photos than watch a video.
Old 10th December 2018, 14:20   #19
BHPian

Going through the whole thread, I have realized that my thought process aligns only with a minority here.

However, I think quite a few people are irked about the size and representation of the photographs in the review. The usability could be improved in that regard; probably grouping those pics in a carousel or such for similar types of pictures. For example, interior pics together, stance pics together etc. I am sure that would enhance the readability by a huge margin and keep people sharing the same thoughts as me happy.
Old 10th December 2018, 14:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

... the thumbnails could be made smaller for quicker browsing. But, of i remember correctly, the photos in the threads are intentionally large enough so that we can see them properly without having to click to enlarge. And i support that.
Old 10th December 2018, 15:45   #21
BHPian

I would not like the official reviews to be tinkered with. Photographs (hundreds of it) are equally important (if not more) than the written matter. For me, the more the merrier. Anyways, it's not that the photographs are intended to be used as a wallpaper, every photo shows how it looks what is written in words. Even a video review cannot index such details as Tbhp review photos cover.

Maybe, while browsing on our mobile phones, scrolling up and down the pages is a pain due to large no of photos, but on desktop, none so.

Maybe, putting only small thumbnails of all photos (which can be individually clicked to expand) and providing a button at the top which says "Expand/collapse all photos" would perfectly serve the purpose.
Old 12th December 2018, 11:01   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys for all the comments & suggestions. Just to let you know that we have read & made a note of them.

While we are open to continuously improving our style of working, we must also accept that Team-BHP cannot be "everything to everyone".
Old 12th December 2018, 11:30   #23
BHPian

A suggestion from my side.
I agree that the attention to detail works for some and doesn't for some. More detail is better than less detail. But I would like to see reviews prioritise performance aspects over interiors, aesthetics and cosmetics in terms of review layout. If ride, handling, engine options and performance, safety review are at the top of the review followed by rest of the details including photos, it would be helpful for those who are interested in reading only those aspects.
Old 12th December 2018, 11:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

A) The following details could be included as they are provided in other comparable auto reviews: (Personally I make a decision on buying after checking these figures)

1. 0-100 acceleration figures
2. Time taken to achieve various speeds upto 60/ 80/ 120/ 140/ 160 kmph etc and more (or less) depending on the speed capability of the car.
2. 20-80 in 3rd gear, 40-100 in 4th gear - roll on figures
3. Max speeds in each gear
4. Top speed
5. Braking distances from 100 kmph and 80 kmph
6. Fuel efficiency - Best / Worst after testing by team-Bhp.

B) Details that could be reduced (a few indicative examples):

1. Detailed description of certain features - such as 3 paragraphs on the Verna headlight and what it does.

2. External pics such as that of the fuel cap explaining that it is plastic / non metal or similar.

3. Paragraphs and detail of the grille, the creases, the chrome, the look, the outline - probably don't need to be covered so much in depth.

And more similar, that are not really too relevant from an enthusiast point of view.
Old 12th December 2018, 11:36   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
It would be helpful for those who are interested in reading only those aspects.
Is it really that difficult to scroll to the bottom of the page?

Plus the opening post always has links, so you can just click on them and jump directly to the section you want.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:22   #26
BHPian

Just one thing that kind of puts me off is the ICE section review. I mean it takes almost 3 - 5 paragraphs with endless photos of each screen shown in it! Even a prospective buyer doesn't need this, in my opinion. All that is needed is to say this car has this in-built ICE that has these many features. I don't think anyone needs a guide on how to operate it. After all, if they buy the car they always have the user manual
Old 12th December 2018, 19:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Going through the whole thread, I have realized that my thought process aligns only with a minority here
Not really; wait until the majority jumps in & voice out

Anyway, TBhp is probably similar to social media of automobiles barring junk.

Difference between rest of the automobile mags & TBhp is like what people like to do & make money versus what people love to do without a care for money
Old 12th December 2018, 20:45   #28
BHPian

I prefer the linearity of structure which currently exists. Initially it seemed cumbersome, but the addition of an index page has sorted the problem. I also prefer the fact that there are no links or thumbnails and all that one has to do to consume content is scroll down. Simplifies life. This is in contrast to how I consume news online, which has become a vertigo inducing exercise.

One thing I still cannot get used to despite reading so many reviews is to remember if the description follows the photograph or precedes it (many times it is not obvious). As a result I sometimes go up and down to correlate the photo with the correct description. This is by no means the OP's fault, just my disorientation. Maybe embedding the description at the bottom or top of the photo itself (say in a black strip with white font) would make it easier. Again, I have no idea how easy or difficult that is so I leave it at that.

I am not closed minded, but I am skeptical about the suitability of video reviewing to a such a comprehensive kind of scrutiny. I like to see photos at my pace and allow the input to register in my mind. If one were to allow that luxury of time in a video review, it would become slow and awkward. For instance imagine the OP sitting straight faced, demonstrating legroom for 10 seconds . One can always pause the video, but that necessitates an action and hence affects the experience. Maybe the wrong example, but I hope you get the drift
Old 12th December 2018, 21:12   #29
Team-BHP Support

Cricket match - That's what I've realized reading this thread.

Test cricket is where the real beauty of the game lies and real skill and differentiation of a solid player comes into play. For someone trying to learn the game, test cricket is the best approach.

Then came the spectators demand for shorter, more involving games - and one day matches. More viewership and more spectator involvement - which interested sponsors to demand for an even shorter version of the game to involve even more casual spectators and newcomers into the game - thus 20 /20.

Why cricket?

GTO and mod team believe in test cricket - and playing it out perfectly so anyone interested will benefit from all 5 days of action. A BHPian not all that interested in that particular car, but wanting to keep track of the gist of it - expects one day matches from the mod team. For an even more casual observer who just wanted the pictures without needing to spend 5 minutes to scroll through a game that needed 5 days to play out - demands a 20/20.

PS : 5 days is too less time for preparing a full review. 5 mins is too much time to scroll through a full review.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th December 2018 at 21:13.
Old 13th December 2018, 10:44   #30
BHPian

Each review in this forum is a joy to read. But what kills the fun is that by the time the review is out, the product is cold. I know you need time to put out a comprehensive review. But time-to-market is a key aspect in the success of any product/service.

It would be good, if a "first impressions review" could be outed in a couple of days to keep the enthusiasm going, and then out the comprehensive review comes after a month or so.

Most Viewed