Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th December 2018, 08:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Attention to detail - Are we getting carried away?

For a casual reader, the details in a review may be too much. But to help such people, we now have that index at the beginning so that you can skip over to the section that interests you easily.

The attention to detail approach really helps when you are seriously considering purchasing the car. Not just when it is launched , but maybe 1-2 years down the line. Or even 5 years down through line if you are looking at it as a pre-owned option. All those little details really help at that time in my opinion.

Regarding videos, there are plenty of video reviews out there, but there is no written review as detailed as team-bhp. Going the video way may mean compromising on the write up. This way we can always watch the videos to get the high levels picture and then come here and read the detailed review.Best of both worlds.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 08:49   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I think our reviews are fantastic - I canít ever accept that there can be too much attention to detail or too many high quality pictures as part of a review (or a travelogue for that matter). I do agree that this quality is coming at a cost - of extremely delayed reviews of new cars, and perhaps we should consider some kind of trade off - where we have a mini review in the launch thread followed by the full blown review. I also appreciate the value of quality video reviews - as an addition to a high quality text review.

But what we forget is that the Mods in Team BHP are volunteers who have day jobs to do, and families to spend time with. I am sure that their partners and kids already feel they spend too much time on this site. So unless more of us volunteer to step up as Mods (and demonstrate the ability to step up), we canít have more official reviews or faster reviews. But nothing stops the OP or any of us from posting video reviews of cars - I have learnt as much from some of the quality ownership threads as I have from official reviews.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 15:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the photos.

Taking for granted that a car actually runs with required performance, I am, if looking at a review, more interested in the interior, dashboard, seats etc than anything else, and from that point of view, I too would say that there can't be too many photos.

I'd also rather look at photos than watch a video.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 14:20   #19
BHPian

Going through the whole thread, I have realized that my thought process aligns only with a minority here.

However, I think quite a few people are irked about the size and representation of the photographs in the review. The usability could be improved in that regard; probably grouping those pics in a carousel or such for similar types of pictures. For example, interior pics together, stance pics together etc. I am sure that would enhance the readability by a huge margin and keep people sharing the same thoughts as me happy.
AZ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 14:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

... the thumbnails could be made smaller for quicker browsing. But, of i remember correctly, the photos in the threads are intentionally large enough so that we can see them properly without having to click to enlarge. And i support that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 15:45   #21
BHPian

I would not like the official reviews to be tinkered with. Photographs (hundreds of it) are equally important (if not more) than the written matter. For me, the more the merrier. Anyways, it's not that the photographs are intended to be used as a wallpaper, every photo shows how it looks what is written in words. Even a video review cannot index such details as Tbhp review photos cover.

Maybe, while browsing on our mobile phones, scrolling up and down the pages is a pain due to large no of photos, but on desktop, none so.

Maybe, putting only small thumbnails of all photos (which can be individually clicked to expand) and providing a button at the top which says "Expand/collapse all photos" would perfectly serve the purpose.
Nav-i-gator is offline   Reply With Quote