Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2018, 16:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why are Indians so unfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I am confused. What is with equating Nonveg to being unfit?
Indians mostly eat Chicken, Fish and Mutton as non veg and none of these are fattening. On the contrary, it is our over indulgence on carbs like rice, wheat, potatoes etc and sweets combined with the inactivity that has come along with growing affluence which has caused this epidemic (if I can call it so!!).
Its not about non-veg food.

The problem is about the preparation of non-veg food that is mostly consumed in India.

Indians consume Chicken by making heavily oiled, buttered (and sometimes creamed) butter chicken or chicken curry.

Similar is the case with Mutton and Fish.

We mostly eat Eggs in the form of fatty omelettes fried in dollops of oil and eat it with refined flour (white/brown bread).

And now you compare it to how the non-veg is prepared and eaten in the West. Its mostly grilled or baked with minimal oil and no buttery curry. Eggs are eaten mostly boiled or at the most scrambled. The west also eats lots of raw veggies like lettuce/Brussels sprouts along with the non vegetarian food they eat. Whereas we Indians eat Achaar/Papadam or worse still, breads like refined flour Naan or kulcha along with our meats.

So its not entirely the non veg food to be blamed for. Its how us Indians prepare and consume such food that is worrisome.
Old 12th December 2018, 16:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Indians consume Chicken by making heavily oiled, buttered (and sometimes creamed) butter chicken or chicken curry.
So it has lots of edible fats... which is the biggest part of Keto diet, used in aggressive weight loss. Standard Keto diet typically contains 75% fat, 20% protein and only 5% carbs.

So, you still haven't explained why non-veg food is blamed for obesity.
Old 12th December 2018, 16:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So it has lots of edible fats... which is the biggest part of Keto diet, used in aggressive weight loss. Standard Keto diet typically contains 75% fat, 20% protein and only 5% carbs.

So, you still haven't explained why non-veg food is blamed for obesity.
I don't know about Keto diet, but Trans-Fats coming from refined flour, unhealthy edible oils, butter, cream, sugar are all to be blamed for being one of the leading factors causing obesity:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17636085
Old 12th December 2018, 16:42   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I don't know about Keto diet, but Trans-Fats coming from refined flour, unhealthy edible oils, butter, cream, sugar are all to be blamed for being one of the leading factors causing obesity
You are mixing multiple things here.

Flour & sugar are carbs. - These cause obesity.
Milk cream and butter are not trans-fat - Don't cause obesity.
unhealthy edible oils - Depends on what kind.

So, if you cook non-veg using butter or ghee, it won't cause obesity.
Old 12th December 2018, 16:58   #35
Team-BHP Support

Just ran into this thread.

Indians (especially urban, "upper middle class", Indians) are unfit for 4 reasons:
1. Laziness (video centric lifestyle)
2. Ignorance
3. Long nights (work or party) aka not enough rest
4. Stress

Of these I would put laziness easily the primary reason.
Old 12th December 2018, 17:09   #36
BHPian

The major factor is our over dependency and love for carbs. And add to that the increasing stress levels across the nation due to changing lifestyle.

We Indians also tend to mess up our intake timings. Dinner too late in the night when you really don't need the carbs let alone the overdose of it.
Old 12th December 2018, 17:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
As I was sitting in the lounge of Hyderabad airport last weekend, Not more than 1 in 20 males was what one would consider 'fit'. Protruding bellies, stooping shoulders, and lack of any spring in their step sadly defined almost everyone around in their 30s or older.
I agree with you when you say "Hyderabad". I think the obesity in India is also regional and really depends on where you look at. It is very high in Urban areas that has a deadly combination of while collar jobs and eateries.

I felt, people in Hilly regions are slim and fit. The same goes with arid regions. Where life is hard, people are healthy. Where life is easy as in Urban areas, we see the contrary.

However, INDIA still ranks better than most other countries. I work with people from USA and KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) those been there would know what I mean .

One of the recent study has another worrying stats about Indians... 71% Indians Suffer From Poor Muscle Health (link)
Old 12th December 2018, 17:31   #38
BHPian

With our collective wisdom we can point out all the reasons why Indians are unfit. Some of these are actually symptoms of another malaise. I want to draw your attention to the fact that Indians are amongst the unhappiest people in the world. According to World Happiness Report 2018, India ranks 133 among 156 countries. Countries below India are mostly ones torn by civil war or some kind of strife - Afghanistan, Syria, Sudan/South Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi etc. Nigeria is the only major economy apart from India performing so poorly on this front. They rank just below us.

Unhappiness results in lack of motivation and general enthusiasm to be active. It is also well known that depression and unhappiness cause you to eat excessively. I am not saying that these are sole contributors (or conversely that obese people are unhappy), but they supplement other unhealthy habits. Every generation has its own lifestyle struggles, but depression and unhappiness cuts across generations.
Old 12th December 2018, 17:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

It's become common for twenty year old's, these days, to have disposition of CEO's and their behavior and body language is such with portly bellies and thick neck's and receding hairline! It all boils down to lie style. The youth of today have lost their youthfulness totally that's become a rule rather than an exception. Hence we see Hair Clinics, Weight Loss Clinics, Bariatric Surgery clinics, etc.

Eating habits, Late Night's on a regular basis, lack of quality sleep, forever glued to phones or laptops, those never ending EMI's... all add to the rat race of existence...

Last edited by Durango Dude : 12th December 2018 at 17:36.
Old 12th December 2018, 19:58   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^
Dear @ Durango Dude, I have often read your posts with interest for their high quality content. With no disrespect the post above sounds like a rant rather than a useful view. Just my opinion, friend. The youth of today are not different from the youth of 35 years back except for some mores and styles that are unique to each generation. In fact the young today are bolder, more willing to speak their minds, and they face competition 5X greater than what my generation faced. And the points you make are not connected to the unhealthy-ness of middle aged Indians

Last edited by V.Narayan : 12th December 2018 at 19:59.
Old 12th December 2018, 20:25   #41
BHPian

Folks are just lazy, or not bothered. Awareness is creeping in, but very slowly. It's sad, but true.
Old 12th December 2018, 20:37   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

After reading the past few pages, I observe that Education is the key.

Not many are aware of what is best for their own health, they need to perform tests , consult with physicians and dietitian to figure out what is lacking in terms of diet, exercise and what is in excess.

There is no peer advice that works for good health, please only take them from medical practitioners.
Old 12th December 2018, 20:42   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
With no disrespect the post above sounds like a rant rather than a useful view.
Plus he is dissing the CEOs...

I have never seen any correlation between the obesity and designation of a person. I can't even think why that would be a factor.
Old 12th December 2018, 21:27   #44
BHPian

There is a Dr. B.M.Hegde who has quite a following and many of his ideas I do really like and seem to resonate with how I think myself.

In his thinking, many of the tests and physician consultations are part of a big medical industry scam. One doesn't, of course, have to subscribe to all his views, but he does make a strong case on many of his points. Sometime he is a bit humorous too!

Many more of his videos are online for anyone interested.
Old 12th December 2018, 22:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Actually I would blame the Indian diet more than exercise. Professor Tim Noakes a famous South African sport scientist says as a keen marathon and ultra-marathon runner, I was shocked to find I had developed type-2 diabetes. He further says “I thought exercising was making me healthier but what I didn’t realise was that my diet contained too much carbohydrate for my own physiology, and this was negating all the benefits,” he says. Link-https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ng-diet-debate

Indian food whether it’s from North or South it is predominantly its carbohydrate based (Wheat/Rice). Carbs, cheap sugar and refined oils is a perfect recipe for diabetes in the long run. All our sweets, packaged food, noodles, pizza, pastas, sodas, biscuits are too be blamed.

It’s surprising that none of our doctors are trained in nutrition they blame diabetes as a lifestyle disease. Diabetes is not just high sugar but its Insulin resistance which is treated by prescribing even more units of Insulin which worsens the fight against diabetes. Following LCHF/Keto coupled with some exercise seems to be the only sustainable way to beat this menace.

Last edited by tj123 : 12th December 2018 at 22:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks