Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 15:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Water - The Elixir of Life!

From practical experience as a dentist and being a father:

1. If my toddler son doesn't have enough water, he doesn't crap

2. As a dentist, I see a lot of patients complaining about bad breath and/or dry mouth. Their usual history is that they work in an office and drink about a litre of water a day.
Just doubling their water intake has solved 90% of halitosis and dry mouth complaints.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 21:00   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
From practical experience as a dentist and being a father:

1. If my toddler son doesn't have enough water, he doesn't crap

2. As a dentist, I see a lot of patients complaining about bad breath and/or dry mouth. Their usual history is that they work in an office and drink about a litre of water a day.
Just doubling their water intake has solved 90% of halitosis and dry mouth complaints.

Really? People suffering from a dry mouth, go and see a doctor/dentist, who has to tell them to drink more? I hope you charge them an arm and a leg.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 17:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Drink to the extent of physical activity/dehydration.. your body itself will tell you when you are thirsty.
I am not opposing what you have written since also believe in the need concept: breath natural without thinking (which involves stomach, whereas when you breath consciously its mostly chest); drink when thirsty, eat when hungry. Piss & take a dump when feel pressure and don't delay it.

But the problem is that most of the people, right from childhood are not in tune with their body needs due to constant barrage of liquid stimulants like tea and coffee and soft drinks. Most people have lost the ability to recognize thirst.

I know many females who don't drink water simply because they find access to toilets difficult, and in order to reduce their excursions. But when I told them about the below test, they started obeying their body needs.

A test whether one is drinking enough water or not: bad breath or not? Sufficient water will prevent bad breath (because hydration will cause saliva to be present and saliva keeps the mouth sterile preventing bacteria growth)

In fact I just chanced upon the second page of this thread, and lo ... it is confirmed by our site dentist also
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Last edited by alpha1 : 26th December 2018 at 17:35.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 20:54   #19
BHPian

Very interesting discussion indeed. Adding a couple more points in to the mix. First one is regarding warm vs. cold water. After reading about the ayurvedic recommendation of drinking warm water, I have been trying that for a while now. I "feel" better when I am able to stick to my preference of drinking about a cup of warm water every hour. I distinctly feel uncomfortable if I am unable to do so. Apparently sipping on warm water every half an hour or so helps detox the body. Another point is the effect of caffeine. Caffeine being a diuretic will mess with your sense of thirst and will dehydrate you if you consume too much. Apart from coffee, tea and soft drinks, caffeine is also present in large quantities in pain medication. It increases the work load on the kidneys too. Interested in hearing fellow bhpians opinion on these points. Thanks
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 08:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
A test whether one is drinking enough water or not: bad breath or not? Sufficient water will prevent bad breath (because hydration will cause saliva to be present and saliva keeps the mouth sterile preventing bacteria growth)
That indeed goes without saying, those are the first symptoms of dehydration. A mouth is a chamber of bacterial activity, initiated by the saliva. Now, we needn't fear bacteria as there are more healthy, life-enhancing bacteria in our bodies than the bad ones. Lactobacilli and streptococcus are the 'bad' bacteria in the saliva, and when they aren't flushed out by water every 6-7 hours they may begin to thrive and cause tooth decay, horrible bad breath and a general feeling of unhealthiness.

There are other symptoms of dehydration too.. like the urine color becoming too dark (unless you take oral B-Vitamins which can cause discoloration even if hydration is optimal), dry skin, aching body and a general intolerance of extreme temperatures.

The modern lifestyle does not allow for people to behave in the way nature intended them to. It goes as deep as people not following the circadian rhythm which operates on senses rather than thoughts. This circadian rhythm if followed can also regulate hunger and thirst more effectively, unlike the 24/7 workers that we've all become. Somewhere every bit helps bring back the nature from within man. I've not for once thought about availability of bathrooms before drinking water because male office-goers like us can find one at most times, but it indeed is a problem for women because their bladder control isn't as optimal as men either.

I'm also not one for the highly ritualized process of ancient India, some of it is mumbo-jumbo but most of it aren't.. taking a swig of water would require one to move it around the mouth a couple of times and then swallow, which creates not only a cleaner mouth but also thoroughly rinses off the acids and bacteria and takes them down, I follow that most times and it makes drinking water more efficient rather than having to rely on huge quantities.

As Mr.Jeroen also has said, if the body is desperate for water it will make it obvious, I've supervised on-site in productions operations early on and the sheer humidity, and boiling heat in a closed-out floor had me drinking a liter an hour. If one doesn't listen to the tell-tale signs of water deprivation and dehydration because they are either too busy, or are drinking coffee/tea/Pepsi to compensate assuming that they too, are liquids.. then that scale of ignorance is something we can do nothing about.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed