Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2007, 09:39   #1
BHPian

Insane Photographer

Got this as a forward.. thought of sharing with you people....

This is a case of photographer photographing a photographer. The following photographs were taken by photographer Hans van de Vorst at the Grand Canyon, Arizona. The descriptions are his own. The identity of the photographer in the photos is unknown.

I was simply stunned seeing this guy standing on this solitary rock in the Grand Canyon.
The canyon's depth is 900 meters here. The rock on the right is next to the canyon and safe.
Watching this guy in his sandals, with a camera and a tripod I asked myself 3 questions:
1. How did he climb onto that rock?
2. Why not take that sunset picture on that rock to the right, which is perfectly safe?
3. How will he get back?
JUST WATCH WHAT HE DID!

This is the point of no return.

After the sun set behind the canyon's horizon he packed his things (having only one hand available) and prepared himself for the jump. This took about 2 minutes. At that point he had the full attention of the crowd. After that, he jumped in his sandals...

Now you can see that the adjacent rock is higher, so he tried to land lower which is quite steep and tried to use his one hand to grab the rock.

Look carefully at the photographer. He has a camera, a tripod and also a plastic bag, all on his shoulder or in his left hand. Only his right hand is available to grab the rock and the weight of his stuff is a problem. He lands low in his flip flops --------both his right hand and right foot slip away... At that moment I took this shot. He pushes his body against the rock. He waits for a few seconds, throws his stuff on the rock, climbs and walks away
Old 18th January 2007, 09:47   #2
BHPian

Crazy if it is real...I hope the guy clicking him, made it back from his rock too

Last edited by Autophile : 18th January 2007 at 09:49.
Old 18th January 2007, 09:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Unbelievable... .this guy has b@lls of steel or titanium or what? i wouldn't be able to do that even for a million dollars.
Old 18th January 2007, 10:01   #4
BHPian

Crazy . I would say. I am sure National Geographic photographers also put them in life threatening situation with wild animals just to a snap!!.
Old 18th January 2007, 10:01   #5
BHPian

You still dont believe, visit the following site..it has the rest of the pictures .. i mean complete set of pictures

Point Of No Return on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 18th January 2007, 10:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

I think it is photoshopped, faked.

1) Nobody would be this dumb.
2) This picture looks faked. The shadows on the jeans pant doesn't match with the lighting on the rock. The rocks are brightly lit, where as his pant isn't.
Old 18th January 2007, 11:18   #7
BHPian

this has been on net in form of chain mails for sometime now. I think its photoshopped. The guy on Flickr, has posted just four pictures. If it was real we would have expected a few more from him like the one showing just the deep canyon, few while standing on cliff , collecting his stuff after jump etc. It would have looked more authentic. Just my view..
Old 18th January 2007, 11:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think it is photoshopped, faked.

1) Nobody would be this dumb.
2) This picture looks faked. The shadows on the jeans pant doesn't match with the lighting on the rock. The rocks are brightly lit, where as his pant isn't.
Its not faked.
On a photography forum this first surfaced with the photographer who took these shots answering questions about this pic.
The lighting etc,m makes it look like a setup, but its not.
Old 18th January 2007, 11:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its not faked.
On a photography forum this first surfaced with the photographer who took these shots answering questions about this pic.
How does that prove it is authentic?
Old 18th January 2007, 11:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How does that prove it is authentic?
Well what proves this is the photograph itself.
While the photograph is not modded, it does not show the whole truth.
What would have happened if he had slipped?
Died? Nope, there is a shelf little below the edge of the frame which is not visible due to camera angle. I can't find that conversation at the forums, but this link also mentions it
Daredevil photographer at the Grand Canyon-Truth!
Hans mentions that he did not see the shelf and thought that the guy was mad. Only later from a different angle he could make out that the act was not really daredevil.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Well what proves this is the photograph itself.
why not few more pictures as I mentioned above.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:04   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hans mentions that he did not see the shelf and thought that the guy was mad. Only later from a different angle he could make out that the act was not really daredevil.
That changes everything, even the title of this thread is wrong. This is just a misleading photograph. Nothing insane about the photographer then.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Even if there is a shelf, it still a dare-devil act ! If he had missed & landed on the shelf, he would have risked injury & damage to his photography equipment.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Could be a fake. Considering the direction in which he is jumping, he should have landed towards the rightside of the rock.

Look at the pic where he's about to jump and the pic where he lands on the other side. It just doesn't match!!!

Considering the lack of resolution/detailing, it's pretty easy to make such images.

Shan2nu
Old 18th January 2007, 12:58   #15
BHPian

looks totally fake and photoshopped......the edges are so clearly fake.even his landing on the rock.his shape and stance os not proprtionate to the way he is holding the rock.it may just be a well made fake but i think is thorough fake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks