Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2019, 23:54   #1
BHPian

False certification in the India Book of Records

Question raised on the functioning of the prestigious organization - India Book of Records.

How can it certify something without any verification of the claims made or even making any research. The organization is using the name of India and people are applauded to be extraordinary by it without being even verified whether the claims made are genuine or false.

What standard is it setting and what remains the value of the certificate issued by such organization like India Book of Records.

To site an example - Below is the certificate issue by India Book of Records and to challenge it is the link of my blog.

False certification in the India Book of Records-50454631_2346978258654920_8805451901974872064_n.jpg

I made to Muktinath with my family in my personal Mahindra Bolero on March 2017, a year and 9 months ago the person claims to have visited.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ing-trail.html (Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail)

I think that the certificate should be null & void.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th January 2019 at 11:04. Reason: Minor formatting
PointZero is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 09:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: False certification in the India Book of Records

Have you tried calling them up?
http://indiabookofrecords.in/contact-us/
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 09:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Wouldn't they consider the Bolero as a SUV ? or at least a UV ? This one by Sujoy is being considered as a "family car".

But personally, looking at this so called "record" - I really wonder what kind of records does IBR track.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 10:47   #4
BHPian

Yes, I have sent one mail. Auto generated response received that they will reply within 7 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Have you tried calling them up?
http://indiabookofrecords.in/contact-us/
Another nonsense information in IBR. Check the altitude of Khardung La.

False certification in the India Book of Records-khardungla_pass.jpg

Source - http://indiabookofrecords.in/solo-mo...ion/#more-3183

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th January 2019 at 11:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 11:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
Question raised on the functioning of the prestigious organization - India Book of Records.
Why do you think it is a prestigious organization? A little Googling shows it's founder/editor makes some pretty dubious claims of his own. And it seems to be affiliated to a 'World Records University" that grants PhDs to anyone whose name appears in a record book!

So guessing this is probably not a reputed publication to be taken seriously.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 12:02   #6
BHPian

You are correct in raising voice in the forum pointing out the probable malpractice around issuing such certificates.
Having said that, traveling is fun and gives one the moments to cherish for a lifetime. Its not about certificates of achievement one gets out of it. I am pretty sure that your travelogue on Mustang was being referred by the award winning recipient for the travel made. Keep traveling and stay out of this junk.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 12:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
I made to Muktinath with my family in my personal Mahindra Bolero on March 2017, a year and 9 months ago the person claims to have visited.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ing-trail.html (Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail)
I think that the certificate should be null & void.
Hi PZ, not sure if there is a legal way to challenge these claims.

On another note, Gabru also had made it to Mustang in April 2017 (Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang)

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 25th January 2019 at 12:13.
Old 25th January 2019, 12:11   #8
BHPian

Unless you really feel strongly about such 'feats', I would recommend you get it out of your system quickly. Such recognitions remind me of movie awards these days, where categories are so specific, they are almost created for everyone to win. I had a cursory look at their shoddy website. Next they will award a certificate to someone who has repeated this same feat with a 90 year old on board. There is no limit to how many categories you can create. It starts looking silly after a point
Old 25th January 2019, 12:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
There is no limit to how many categories you can create. It starts looking silly after a point
But a sound online/marketing strategy. Create a few entities, those entities feed back into their parent entity and create business and revenue. You guys remember IIPM and Planman consulting? The parent Planman used to hire graduates from the 'university' side of the business which in turn used the Planman network to advertise. This looks like a similar setup. A supposedly legit record book that creates business for the records 'university' where I'm sure you need to pay something and so on.

Gotta be real careful about what you read in the media these days. Best approach is to read anything with a skeptical mindset till proved legit by multiple unrelated sources.

Last edited by am1m : 25th January 2019 at 12:24.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 13:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you really feel strongly about such 'feats', I would recommend you get it out of your system quickly. Such recognitions remind me of movie awards these days, where categories are so specific, they are almost created for everyone to win. I had a cursory look at their shoddy website. Next they will award a certificate to someone who has repeated this same feat with a 90 year old on board. There is no limit to how many categories you can create. It starts looking silly after a point
Haha! Absolutely to the point, just like the iCoty award this year. Seems like we are busy keeping others happy, while keeping ourselves at bay.
Old 25th January 2019, 13:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very true.

I was a part of a team which went till the border stone of Mana Pass, and were the first set of civilians to have done so. The very next day a lady, an army officers wife lands up there and claims the same in Limca Book of records. Why? She did it for that glory, and we did it for passion.

Who cares about these glories anyways...see what happened to Chandra Kochar today??
Old 25th January 2019, 15:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unless you really feel strongly about such 'feats', I would recommend you get it out of your system quickly.... There is no limit to how many categories you can create. It starts looking silly after a point
Well, on the other hand it is inspiring me to submit couple of "first person to..." records myself.

1) My Grand Vitara was the first wheeled vehicle to drive in the road between TAPMI (Manipal) and Parkala. The JCB had broken the path through the hill just the previous day. Manipal students (past/present) might know this road.
2) And I did that when the vehicle was less than a week old.

Where should I submit these records?
Attached Thumbnails
False certification in the India Book of Records-_b084526.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 25th January 2019 at 16:06.
Old 25th January 2019, 16:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, on the other hand it is inspiring me to submit couple of "first person to..." records myself.

1) My Grand Vitara was the first wheeled vehicle to drive in the road between TAPMI (Manipal) and Parkala. The JCB had broken the path through the hill just the previous day. Manipal students (past/present) might know this road.
2) And I did that when the vehicle was less than a week old.

Where should I submit these records?
This stupendous feat deserves a platinum certificate with the following citation (with some creative liberties):

"First mentally sound Indian to traverse a 33 degree incline between Manipal and Parkala dug by a yellow colored JCB using a less than week old white colored Grand Vitara."

Bravo. Your name in the India Book of Records is etched for eternity.
Old 25th January 2019, 16:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

My relatives might object to the mentally sound part of the citation. In fact, many of them seriously doubted my sanity when I show them the pics back then. This was before I got into offroading, IIRC this was my first time.
Old 25th January 2019, 17:01   #15
BHPian

This IBR thing works on people's greed for fame and recognition without putting much effort. The type of records that they recognizes, some are laughable. They are a money making machine also.

They came to our skating clubs, proposing to host an event where this many numbers of children will skate together at the same time. And that will be a record. Now what kind of record is this?

On top of that they asked us to pay Rs 250 per student.
Thugs of the first order.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks