Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2019, 11:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Good Sleep: Tips, advice & best practices

There are people who can get less than 8 hours sleep and say they had a good rest and others who need around 8 hours of sleep for the same. I fall in the latter and if I get less than 7 hours of sleep, my day is ruined and I end up getting a headache.

Thankfully, as I grow older,(just short of 40 and thinking twice when I am going to wear a emblazoned T) I am able to still get that 8 hours (1030,11p-630a) of sleep almost daily. This wasn't the case for almost ten years until five years back when I used to work in shifts. I used to still manage 7-8 hours of sleep or even more when I used to work the graveyard shift. Although it was more than enough sleep, it almost led me to depression due to the timings and breaking up of my sleep to have meals. I ended up oversleeping and I am glad that phase of life was when I was young and was able to go through it.

But the annoying part that I have been encountering recently is that I fall asleep at work which at times can be embarrassing. This normally happens after lunch and at times before too and normally when I am reading some online paper or watching a video. As a workaround, I go down to my car and take a power-nap or take a walk and wash my face. Thankfully it is not a daily routine.

One thing I need to inculcate is not using my phone before going to sleep. I have gotten so used to it that I need to read or watch a video and then fall asleep. Instead I am trying to get back to my old habit of listening to music or reading a book and falling asleep.

Last edited by tharian : 20th March 2019 at 11:44.
Old 20th March 2019, 11:42   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post

It doesn't make me happy, but over the past couple of years I've been made to believe that I need to work really hard to achieve my academic goals,
Interesting. Thank you for being honest - very difficult to admit so on an online forum where keyboard master strokes rule the world.

I wish you the very best in life.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:02   #33
BHPian

Great thread!

The sleep pattern for me has changed almost every year. During school days, it was playing cricket till late, until usually the bowlers and fielders were not visible-forget about the ball. Somehow, getting over the dinner-time by 8.30 and sleeping like dead till 6.30-7.00.

College time reduced the amount of sleep and I used to sleep by 11.30-12.00, get up by 7.30-8.00. Lots of late night movies, parties and roaming around with friends meant sleep time was rarely on the 'same day'.
Nowadays, I go to sleep around 11.00 pm and am usually awake by 6.00-6.30 am. The occasional spurts of motivation to do meditation and morning walks pushes it back to 4.30-5.00 am but whatever the time I go to bed, I can't stay in the bed after sunrise. I rather sleep during day-time, especially in summer than oversleeping in the morning.

One exception is on Saturdays when I still watch movies late in the night, some times 2-3 movies, and sleep at around 3-4.00 am. Few years back we even had almost a ritual during christmas time to go through the entire Lord of the rings series (extended DVD edition). I must say I enjoy these late nights less and less now but as some one said above god puts opposites together and missus is a night person so I comply!

Fortunately, I never had any problems dosing off and it's usually within minutes if not seconds that I am off. These days, I retire with a book around 10 and unless the book is really exciting I am soon hitting it with my head

One thing I must say is that I usually have hard time sleeping when I am at a new place. My senses suddenly are on high alert, it's not that there is any nervousness, anxiety or fear but somehow I have to 'read' much more at a new place than at my home.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

I used to travel a lot and used to sleep and wake up at odd hours (for work and flights), in new new places (hotels, guest houses, etc).

My days used to be very unpredictable and potentially stress inducing at times.

My routine was simple. I would watch some content on my phone before sleeping, on phone typically. This would help me bring my mind and thoughts to a baseline before sleeping.

Though the above seems against all recommendations by physicians, this used to help me psychologically. The content would bring my thoughts to a non-work and hence non-stressed mode thus eliminating all mental distractions and then I would typically sleep within 5-10 mins of keeping the phone down.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:57   #35
BHPian

After reading so many disciplined stories here, I am feeling like an alien.
Being in the once 'Lucrative' IT sector, I have ruined my sleep cycle over past few years. Absurd sleep hours, no specific time for food and absolutely NO EXERCISE.
I have been trying hard to reduce the screen time but just plain unsuccessful in doing so. Be it remote support for clients even after designated work hours or web series addiction, screen time is increasing.
But now, I am determined to change it by taking clues from various replies and implement them regularly and timely. This is a challenge for me.
Thank you GTO and other fellow BHPians for making me realize how unhealthy my lifestyle is.
Old 20th March 2019, 13:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

I switch of between 10-11 pm, come hell or high water. Reduce light pollution, switch of all gadgets (airplane mode), even corridor lights are of, ensure silence and sleep. My kids and family know this and don't disturb me.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 20th March 2019 at 13:04.
Old 20th March 2019, 13:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread.
I am also a victim of corporate working culture.
Last four weeks, I have been trying to sort out my sleep pattern.

Few things I have started to improve my sleep.
1. For the first week, started getting up at 530 AM to induce sleep by 10PM. It worked !
2. Dinner before 730 PM.
3. Setting alarm at 930PM for sleeping and moving all electronics out of the bedroom.
4. Minimum 12hrs fasting. (Gap between Dinner and Breakfast)

Been following the above pattern for last 2 months and its working well.
I feel energized and fresh during the day.

Last edited by kpzen : 20th March 2019 at 13:13.
Old 20th March 2019, 13:31   #38
BHPian

I had severe sleep problem 4 years back. I used to get up every 3 hours and I was hardly getting any ‘deep sleep’ in the night. I ignored my condition for very long time, but finally I had to consult a doctor. I was diagnosed with severe Sleep Apnea at that time. Along with using CPAP device, I was advised to change some of my eating habits and asked to do walking (preferably brisk walking) for around 5kms per day.
Initially it was tough to follow any of the suggested change, but gradually I got hold of it. Now, though I cannot say that I am fully ‘cured’ of my sleep problem, at least I am feeling much better compared to 4 years back.
And this is my routine:
1) Try to have dinner before 7.30pm.
2) Do brisk walk for exact 40mins (around 4.5kms) between 9.00-9.45pm.
3) Go to sleep between 11.00-11.30pm.
4) Wake up between 6.30-7.30am.
Old 20th March 2019, 14:19   #39
BHPian

I am a blessed soul when it comes to sleep. I am a deep sleep homo sapien who can sleep anytime, anywhere and any duration. Anything above 6 hours of sleep is good for me. I have such a deep sleep (touch wood) that once I am asleep, no sound can wake me up. My alarm has to be my phone in vibration mode or my better half to kick me out of bed. Have missed a lot of important meetings in the past due to this but I am not complaining as long as I have such good sleep.
Old 20th March 2019, 14:27   #40
BHPian

There is so much sleep discipline that I am reading here in the forum that it really drives home the fact about the absolutely horrendous path that I am on.

For the past 3 months, my daily average sleep time is not more than 4 hours. Early morning start , 100 km travel to and fro work, gym at 9 PM till somewhere around 11 PM post which I just am unable to fall asleep before 4 AM. Post which again the cycle starts of 8 AM mornings. There are days when I am even sleeping for 2-2.5 hours and going to work the next day.

The only saving grace being, that I absolutely fall asleep like a baby once I start feeling sleepy. And the quality of my sleep is generally good as well. It's only the days when my sleep time is less than 4 hours, when I feel it to be a pain to get up the next morning

The only additional time I can squeeze in, is when I return home early from work and I manage to get 1 hr of sleep in the evening before I head out to exercise

I realize that this is not healthy for the long term, but I am unable to find ways to fix it and my work productivity is also as it was earlier. What gives??

Last edited by akhil994 : 20th March 2019 at 14:30.
Old 20th March 2019, 14:31   #41
BHPian

My fundas for sleep :-
1) As dark a room as possible.
2) As little sound as possible
3) As often as possible

Sleep/Rest tips in general :-
1) Unless suffering from a disorder, sleep will come naturally if you actively try & exert yourself (both physically &/or mentally). So do that, anything which will make you tired. (Imo any working day in which you don't feel tired, you've not worked hard enough). Constructive stress is good, engages you & makes you tired. Key word - constructive.
2) Deliberately have some "less sleep" days (preferably Friday or Saturday), so that the next night, you'll get a sound sleep.
Old 20th March 2019, 14:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quite simple actually, but often overlooked in the busy lives we lead -

- Light dinner and switch off mobile
- Go to bed early (latest by 10.30)
- Bang Bang (protection advised)*
- Solid 8 hour sleep
- Wake up early
- Bang Bang (protection again)*
- Solid next 16 hours

* - Bachelors to adjust!

Last edited by roy_libran : 20th March 2019 at 14:36.
Old 20th March 2019, 14:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Probably going against the tide here but off late I've started to sway away from these "rules of living a healthy life".

I don't mean that I binge on sugar or sleep just 4 hours every night but I've realized that the more I'm away from a routine, the better my day (or night).

Coming back to the topic of Sleep, I hit the bed when I'm tired, doesn't matter whether its 22:30 or 00:30.

Just like any other habit, or should I say good habit, the body will of course adapt but I never try to force this habit of timing on myself - "Its 6 AM, time to wake up, its 1 PM, time for lunch".

In fact a lot of time me and my wife get ourselves a cup of hot coffee or tea in the middle of the night, watch a good movie and still doze off quickly. A regular intimate life is of course a great contributor to the amazing sleep we get but I've stopped overthinking things too much.

I was very fussy about a lot of things a few years back but its only when I cut myself some slack I realized that life is great and can be enjoyed a whole lot better if we don't get too technical about things.

Bad habits would of course impact lifestyle so if one smokes it would impact their eating behaviour also. Similarly, if one has an active routine (as against sedentary), eats balanced meals, enjoys their day, has a regular intimate life then sleep would be the last thing they'd need to worry about.
Old 20th March 2019, 14:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

A great thread.

I sleep early and rise early.
Typically I am in bed by 9PM or as soon as I put my toddler son to bed.
I try to have an early dinner and this helps a lot.
Though I have a flexible work schedule and an option to work from home, most of my work is done on my phone and this intrudes into my sleep habits.
This gets aggravated if I am working on US requirements.
I am consciously reducing the use of my mobile post my bed times.

On weekends, I take a quick nap when my son falls asleep after his bath, I need the energy to play with him until his bed time in the night.
Old 20th March 2019, 14:59   #45
Team-BHP Support

Great thread and some good points!
I had been guilty of sleeping very late, and then again early morning start to office, but last few years its getting into a steady pattern. Go to bed at around 10:30-11:00pm and wake up by around 6:30am.
I want to try and start it a bit early say 5:30-6:00am so that I get some more time in the morning before heading for work. Right now it’s a bit of a rush in the morning to leave house 7:45am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm telling you, have seen 100 examples of what I said in my first post. During the first 10 years of my career (entrepreneurship vs my corporate friends), I used to work L-O-N-G hours and even weekends. Now in my 40s, my work hours are perfect (get done @ 6 PM, no weekend work), while my corporate friends come home at 930 PM and work Saturdays.
I used to do this until the age of 29-30, but realigned the habit for past 10+ years to ensure that I leave work by 6:00-6:30pm so that I have a bit of family time. I do take a couple of calls during 9:30pm-10:30pm with the US/Europe colleagues, but that’s more of an exception than a norm. And strictly no work stuff on Saturday and Sunday. Infact my work phone remains in silent mode for the weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks