Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2019, 17:11   #46
BANNED

Re: Good Sleep: Tips, advice & best practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

What kind of a life is this? Has the bean counter course become that much more intriguing and interesting since two decades back?....
I read the original post and you took the words out of my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Quite simple actually, but often overlooked in the busy lives we lead -

- Light dinner and switch off mobile
- Go to bed early (latest by 10.30)
- Bang Bang (protection advised)*
- Solid 8 hour sleep
- Wake up early
- Bang Bang (protection again)*
- Solid next 16 hours

* - Bachelors to adjust!
Really?!! We are going there in this thread? You sure are funny though :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
3. Drinking a glass of milk. It induces hormones apart from being "the most popular suhagraat ritual". It helps one reach deeper levels of sleep, and one shall have much more vivid and interesting dreams. I was earlier having dreamless sleeps during my CA Final prep days, but this habit which I have adopted off-lately has improved my quality of sleep.
Forgive me for being the contrarian here. But, I think the whole point of suhag raat rituals is to achieve the opposite of the objectives mentioned in this thread.

Anyways, I think others have been quite articulate. The cross-section of life experiences mentioned here pretty much obviate any need for me to talk about my own. So, I will just leave you all with this. Quite funny if you ask me!!
Attached Thumbnails
Good Sleep: Tips, advice & best practices-1494581014_how-much_star-sign.png  

Last edited by theMAG : 20th March 2019 at 19:33. Reason: Restricting to the policy limit of upto 2 smileys/post
Old 20th March 2019, 17:54   #47

Nice thread!

Undoubtedly 'sleep' is among the six best doctors in the world apart from sunlight, exercise, diet, self confidence and friends. Due to my working in the night shift in yesteryear's I just cannot imagine to hit the bed any time before 1 A.M. and now for long enough(last 10 years) my day starts late in the morning. So everything including all my meals are absolutely 'not' on time.

Here's a glimpse: I get up at 09:00, reach work at 10:30 and end the day at 20:00. Post that I hit the gym at 21:00 (yeah that's true). End the gym at 22:00 and then continue to walk for couple of hours (with literally no noise or people awake.

I just love the freedom and pin drop silence with clear weather in Delhi these days. It can't be any better). At 00:00, I eat very little around and sleep around 1:30-2:00 . Though I started my gym (when my weight was 102 ) a month ago but I still managed to shed 5 kgs in about 20 days with above routine. I have a very deep sleep pattern and 30 seconds is all i need to doze off once I hit the bed. I really believe in 'quality of sleep' and put my phone on DND. I have an evening tea around 4, no coffee at all and yeah stopped watching television (can't bear the breaking news and intellect discussion by the 'experts' on prime time. For me its an easiest way to get your Blood pressure up). So I prefer to rather stay updated with BBC and CNN app and happy with the humble newspaper in the morning.

I surely understand that aforementioned schedule is just not good but for now I can't leave from work early and if I were to hit the bed early and rather change my gym and walk routine to early morning, I would be more exhausted. I can't imagine getting up at 05:00 and then calling it a day at let's say at 22:00. It is going to be an uphill task. One thing that I've noticed is that due to working out late in the evening in the gym, the work stress of entire day vanishes and even when I sleep at odd hours, I don't feel drained out for the rest of the day.

Although I used to feel sleepy next day if I won't able to get a 7-8 hour sleep but since I started my workout, even 6 straight hours are just fine and yeah I just cant sleep as a co passenger and never felt drowsy when I am on the steering wheel as for me driving is indeed my 'passion' and 'love'. And have driven for 10 hours with 'may be' just one stop on more than one occasion!!

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like... this....

Last edited by ampere : 21st March 2019 at 12:06. Reason: Formatted for readability
Old 20th March 2019, 18:16   #48
BHPian

Having gone through the entire thread, I was reminded of a YouTube video I saw a while back . Fairly informative, this short video reminds us why sleep is so very important for our health, memory, creativity and an overall sense of well being !

So those skimping on sleep, especially the younger lot, do try and catch a few more zzzzzs .

Cheers !
Old 20th March 2019, 19:21   #49
BHPian

I never noticed it, but I had a fairly disruptive sleep since the past year. I was waking up probably 3-4 times at night, feeling thirsty and often waking up with a headache in the morning.
I was recommended a proper Sleep Study and at the end of it provided a CPAP Machine. That improved the quality of my sleep dramatically. However what helped me further was a few things:
1. A renewed focus on diet
2. No tea post the afternoon
3. I had put on about 10 kgs in the past year or so, which I didn't even notice, so focus on shedding some of it back
4. Eventually in a period of 3-4 months I lost around 6 kgs, with just a focus on diet and fast walking.
5. I eventually got off the CPAP machine

I am sleepy around 9.30 pm, so matter what happens now. Its ridiculously difficult for me to have late nights. Same thing for the weekends. Screen time is almost strictly restricted for 1.5 hours max everyday except when there is cricket

It has also helped that I have moved my dinner to 7.30pm. I commute more than 100 kms the day I go to office (which is typically 3 days a week), it has helped by going early and leaving early. I have much more time with my kids.

A have read so many posts which have off working hours, which play havoc with both your body and family time and I really don't know what can I suggest to help them, except that maybe find a role which is better in those terms.
Old 20th March 2019, 19:36   #50
BHPian

Most appropriate thread! For whatever reason, Routine is to hit bed by 10pm, wake up by 4:30am.
Make and have a chai enjoying outside fresh air; I usually hit commute by 6:45am; and come back from work by 5pm.

Tricks to get sleep that has worked for me include (a) having a glass of warm water -- even in summer -- before going to bed (b) 30 minutes before hitting the bed, absolutely no to any kind of screens - TV, phone, tablet, laptop etc (c) sit properly on a chair and read something printed before hitting the bed.

I drive about 360km every Friday evening and Monday early morning. In case night driving gets extended, I stop after toll gates where there is police presence and sleep for 15 minutes inside the car.
Old 20th March 2019, 21:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Do not put on an ALARM unless really needed.
Loud alarm tones are not recommended and can shoot up your BP if you are in sleep.( Doctors can confirm if this is true )

Try to set you body clock is such manner that you are able to wake up without an alarm.
If you do need to set an ALARM, try to put soothing music which can get progressively louder ( by small margin ).

If you are working night shifts and need to sleep during day, use Good Quality Eye masks.

Last edited by silverado : 20th March 2019 at 21:48.
Old 20th March 2019, 22:56   #52
BHPian

Just the right thread for me. I usually stay up late. This has been my lifestyle since college days. Now at work we start late and end late, so I reach home late in the evenings. So my bedtime is usually between 11pm and midnight. For the most part this works fine. However on some nights I wake up in the middle of the night due to hunger. So I am not able to practice a light dinner routine. This predictably has adverse impact on my weight.
Old 21st March 2019, 06:57   #53
BHPian

What's a good shower without a good sleep!? I take pleasure in both.

Usually have my dinner by 7:30. At most by 8:30 if traffic has been an issue. If it gets any later, I typically skip the dinner altogether.

Hit the bed by 10:30. Pretty much immediately out. Up and about by 5am most days. 6am if I am doing a WFH.

Works well so far. I do have my phone on airplane mode close by for alarm setting.

I don't know if it helps, but I do practice deep (diaphragmatic, belly) breathing through out the day even when driving. Been trying to make it a default habit.

Have tried conventional meditation at different times of the day, at the moment, I just can't connect with the process!

Haven't tried anything else for now. If I get some good ideas on the forum, will give it a try.
Old 21st March 2019, 08:31   #54
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread, but unfortunately I cannot contribute anything. I have absolutely no sleep pattern. I can sleep anywhere anytime, whether I am alone or getting bored in a party full of people. Similarly I can keep awake for hours at a stretch if I am driving. I can go off to sleep after having coffee or red bull and i can stay awake without these. My college friends used to call me cyborg
I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but absolutely love it
Old 21st March 2019, 09:09   #55
BHPian

Brilliant thread. And I absolutely admire the folks who have brought discipline to their sleeping patterns !

I have been trying to be disciplined too and here are my sleep pattern details:

-I wake up everyday at 5:30 AM. It does not depend if I am working, if its a weekend or if I am on vacation, my time is fixed. I do depend on an alarm for weekdays but my body clock is set now.
-I hit the bed by 10 PM but at times with my phone (only a few minutes of social media browsing). This habit I am trying to end now. However, once my eyes close, it takes me just a minute or two to doze off. It has been a quality of mine, ever since I was a kid.
-I sleep quite deep and unless am unwell, do not wake up in the middle of the night at all.
-I run 4-5 times a week, covering 6-8kms each time. These runs are in the evening. I have found that due to running, as I am tried, my sleep has improved further. In fact, I suggest folks who have trouble falling asleep to exercise. It has multiple benefits including a deep sleep.

Another aspect is that on a weekend or vacation, once I wake up, I do not laze around in bed just for the sake of it. I am up, out of bed and active. Actually, I find it quite boring to just lie in bed when the body's and mind's sleep needs have been fulfilled. I can get so much done before other family members start waking up. I can pursue my hobbies, have some 'me time' or even prepare breakfast for everyone (just sometimes)
Old 21st March 2019, 10:18   #56
BHPian

Since cannot fall asleep naturally, being treated with sleep inducing pills. Result- feel lethargic for the entire day. Simply put - A bald tyre.

Since being a public figure (GST practitioner), there is no fixed work schedule, or I can say its a 24 hours work schedule. Work thoughts, laptop, mobile are constantly around. Cannot drive for more than 80 kph.
Old 21st March 2019, 11:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

A question- why would a machine as sophisticated as our body need to spend 1/3 rd of its time (8 hrs per day) in maintenance?
I do agree it needs rest, but in my humble opinion spending that much time in a shut itself off zone and maintaining itself is probably a waste of time.
I have a theory, that if our lives are lived simple and in a uncluttered manner, we don't need more than 4 hrs of sleep.
Could be that I am justifying my not more than 5 -5.5hrs of sleep per day - which is not out of compulsion, but a lifestyle choice.

Last edited by rrsteer : 21st March 2019 at 11:03.
Old 21st March 2019, 11:59   #58
BHPian

I am a chronic light sleeper and even a leaf rustle rouses me from sleep, have tried all things possible ( windows shut tight , ear muffs, cotton ) but I somehow wake up when there is a even a small sound. I havent tried CPAP machine but have seen it work like magic for my mother who has sleep apnea. I dont take any medicines , but walk, diet and meditate and generally fit for outdoor activities. In Bangalore its difficult not to be disturbed as there are things happening non stop from early morning.
I even tried sound proofing but a crazy biker on a bullet who somehow takes the vicarious pleasure of a driving like a maniac with some sort of intermittent sonic boom breaks the sound proofing as well... long story short, happy with on an average 5 hours sleep
Old 21st March 2019, 13:01   #59
BHPian

“Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

This is an riveting thread GTO. I hope my write below gives another perspective.

Sleep is a naturally recurring state of mind and body, characterized by altered consciousness, relatively inhibited sensory activity, inhibition of nearly all voluntary muscles, and reduced interactions with surrounding.

During sleep, most of the body's systems are in an anabolic ( build up of metabolism) state, helping to restore the immune, nervous, skeletal, and muscular systems; these are vital processes that maintain mood, memory, and cognitive function, and play a large role in the function of the endocrine ( hormonal) and immune systems.

The above is just an abbreviated understanding of sleep.

Growing up at home we always have had a disciplined life right from the beginning, my sibling and myself, for that , I have to fully give credit to my dear parents and grandparents. Besides etiquette, studies, habits, hygiene, sleep was one of the most important aspects. The latter is one I now realize the value of.

Yes, work and life takes a toll on this very important and neglected aspect, in my case for quite a long time thus causing insomnia and bruxism at one point. In the last couple of years I have lost two buddies of mine, one due to high blood pressure lead to brain hemorrhage and the other due to a heart attack, an awakening for me.

“Sleep is that golden chain that ties health and our bodies together”.
- Thomas Dekker

So now that I am a quadragenarian with family history of various ailments have made it a point to bring myself into line with taking care . Below I have made a succinct:

1. Drinking of about three liters of water a day (according to my work out followed) with the tapering off amount towards dusk i.e. around 7 in the evening. (I have read in write ups that a glass of water before bed does help avoid a heart attack). A myth or fact I cannot say, but I do have about a cup or 250ml of water after I brush teeth before bed. Too much water after 7 p.m. only leads to unremitting trips to the toilet in the night causing a disturbance of sleep pattern.

2. Lights out latest by 11 p.m. wake up time around 7 a.m. (advisable for our age group adults i.e. around 7-8 hours). I have maintained this sleep pattern for some time now even on Sundays because extra sleep on weekends to catch up only leads to damage of the sleep-wake up pattern and Monday morning becomes a drag.

3. Tapering of the blue light i.e. mobile (silent and in the next room) and T.V. (in the bed room a Big no-no) at around 10:30 before bed. (about an hour before sleep is good).

4. We live in Mumbai and I being on the ground floor lighting around is a problem so dark curtains do help in this aspect.

5. I normally eat light at nights, maintain a fixed diet and avoid eating out in the night time. I try to eat, if times permits between around 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. 9 p.m. being the latest thus digestion is not a problem. Over eating / eating late and heavy meals only leads to acidity and heart burn. (I prefer dinner a couple of hours before sleep).

6. Reduced caffeine to a cup to coffee after breakfast in the morning and a cup of tea at around 5 p.m. with a snack as tea/coffee on empty stomach causes acidity. Being a teetotaler/non-smoker has plus points too. (Caffeinated drinks, Tea/coffee for example later than 7 in the evening can disturb the sleep pattern.)

7. At times a warm glass of haldi milk does the trick. (Before brushing though).

8. Exercise, did gym in my earlier days but now free hand exercise besides walking/running 3 to 4 kms is a great help in reducing of stress and getting a good night’s sleep.

9. I do take a nap in the afternoons ‘Power Naps” mine lasts for 15-to 30 minutes between 2 to 4 p.m. It helps to refresh and keep the mind sharp. (If I get a chance that is). Sleeping for more than half an hour or later than 5 p.m. does disturb a good night’s sleep.

10. I prefer to keep an ambient temperature in the room of about 24 degrees with Air-con /fan.A disturbance in the temperature can disrupt a good sleep pattern.

11. I do keep an air purifier on to clean the air in the room and prevent allergies.

12. In case of Bruxism, I do have a night guard (tailor-made for my mouth) that I use on occasions now. (Bruxism - Grinding, clenching or gnashing of the teeth.)

“Tired minds don't plan well. Sleep first, plan later”.
- Walter Reisch

I end with a food for thought … “Not getting enough sleep is linked to higher stress levels, increase in appetite, and cravings for high-fat, high-sugar foods —none of which are good for heart health and stroke prevention!

Last edited by theMAG : 24th March 2019 at 17:44. Reason: Minor typo fixed.
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 13:45   #60
BHPian

An apt thread , as important as keeping the machine in top condition it's also important to keep the man in good condition too. A crucial part of any human s well being is good quality sleep. Have tried only a couple of tactics to get good sleep, mentioning them as well as a few other things from my experience.

1. Washing and cleaning my feet just before going to bed, this by far has helped me the most to sleep well, I am not aware of the science behind it but it works like a charm.

2. Lights out, I hate any kind of light getting into the room or the space where I would like to sleep, during my college days I simply couldn't sleep with lights on but then as I grew older I adapted , yet, the best sleep I have had is when lights are out.

3. An oil bath and a if possible a massage , this is equivalent to sleep after an orgasm, after a massage and/ or oil bath I go flat out , but the cliche here is it's best not to have an oil bath in the evening and they are mostly done at mid morning or noon and so the sleep here is the post lunch one.

4. A glass of milk with turmeric and pepper or just plain milk, have got this advice from a yoga teacher and tried it for a few days and gave it up as it wasn't working for me .

5. When m driving, 11 to 11.30 pm is my cut off, I simply cannot drive beyond that point and I have to sleep , in such cases , I can just sleep sitting wherever I am, my companion takes over .

6. I avoid watching horror movies before bed time, I admit I get nightmares and I get scared, have done this a couple of times before and I thought it's best not to do it.

7.Sometimes I lie awake at night for no reason, I just wander in my thoughts and I finally get hold of my mobile and try and plan a vacation.

8. Have noticed I have the strangest and weirdest dreams when I wake up (6-7 am) and then go back to sleep again , these stick on in my memory for a few hours or atleast till noon and it leaves a very strange feeling but then after that it's gone from my memory.

Have read somewhere that women need more sleep than men. Have also read that some of the synapses in our brain repair or kind of get serviced during our sleep, so the scientific community is pretty convinced that good sleep is crucial to our well being, and I personally am happy to oblige.

Last edited by theMAG : 24th March 2019 at 17:41. Reason: Minor typo fixed.

Most Viewed