Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 22:32   #1501
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Beautiful bike indeed. Please share the price.
Thanks,got the bike for 60k.
Old 13th February 2013, 17:26   #1502
BHPian

http://www.scott-sports.com/za/en/pr...t-x70-men-xxl/

Has anyone seen this bike - SCOTT ATACAMA? I saw this bike at the store and really like it. However not much reviews about this bike is available. Need to know whether this bike can be used for long rides and village roads.

Thanks,
Kiran
Old 14th February 2013, 21:56   #1503
BHPian

Hi guys,

i am planning to buy a bike for fitness purposes. I have shortlisted Firefox kompac AL(Folding Bike,only front suspension,7 gears,normal brakes) and Scnell master elite with rear and front suspension and 21 shimano gears and rear+front disc brakes.Although somehow the showroom guy is pushing for the Firefox bike citing better quality and disc brakes issues.Your inputs shall be appreciated,thanks .
Old 15th February 2013, 10:48   #1504
NMS
BHPian

Hi Bobster,

Isn't the foldable bike heavy ? IMHO folding bikes do not server much purpose. Quite a few bicycles come with the provision of removing the front and rear wheels with relative ease. Try checking some of those out.
Since this is for fitness purpose, I would suggest it would be best you stick to the Regular MTB's or Hybrid bikes that are now available. I do not know much about the Schnell Model that you have mentioned, however would like to mentioned that you should avoid bikes on this side of 1 Lakh with rear suspension like plague (maybe I overdid it, but its a fact) They will also require more energy to peddle, since energy is also expended on the shock absorbers.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:11   #1505
BHPian

Re: Need suggestions for a hybrid bicycle

Thanks for your inputs @M5_fan and @Yogi1771.

I will be checking out the Trek 7.1, Fuji 2.1 and Bergamont Helix 2.2 this weekend.
Any reviews on the Helix 2.2 (could not find any on this thread)? Also, how is the maintenance of these cycles in general?
Old 15th February 2013, 11:33   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Hi Bobster,

Isn't the foldable bike heavy ? IMHO folding bikes do not server much purpose. Quite a few bicycles come with the provision of removing the front and rear wheels with relative ease. Try checking some of those out.
Since this is for fitness purpose, I would suggest it would be best you stick to the Regular MTB's or Hybrid bikes that are now available. I do not know much about the Schnell Model that you have mentioned, however would like to mentioned that you should avoid bikes on this side of 1 Lakh with rear suspension like plague (maybe I overdid it, but its a fact) They will also require more energy to peddle, since energy is also expended on the shock absorbers.
Actually NMS both bikes roughly weigh the same. The Schnell's front wheel also comes out and i think you are also right about the rear suspension issues, i have read quite a few cyclists have experienced some sort of back troubles along with putting in more effort.
Old 15th February 2013, 13:21   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishab View Post
Thanks for your inputs @M5_fan and @Yogi1771.

I will be checking out the Trek 7.1, Fuji 2.1 and Bergamont Helix 2.2 this weekend.
Any reviews on the Helix 2.2 (could not find any on this thread)? Also, how is the maintenance of these cycles in general?
Maintenance is fairly easy. You just need a lube and a small swiss knife kinda tool kit (costs about 300/-) for normal maintenance. Moreover, the bike shop guys usually do routine free service. Just dont crash the bike anywhere.
Old 15th February 2013, 14:45   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Need advice from the Biking gurus here... A couple of months back I'd bought a Cannondale Caad 8-6 Tiagra from a popular bike shop here in Chennai. I liked the bike because it had very robust looking tires (vis-à-vis the really thin ones typically seen on road bikes), but mostly because it had a great paint scheme I did not take delivery at the time of purchase because of work-related travel & also because I wanted the components on the bike to be upgraded from Tiagra to 105. In the time that it took the bike shop to procure the 105 components (~ a month), I've been browsing on the subject & I understand that the bike I'd bought is what's called a "Cyclo-cross" (hence the tires) - it appears I'd be better off with a proper road-bike. Since I haven't taken delivery of the bike yet, the bike shop has graciously agreed to let me get a different bike (than the one I'd bought) & the owner of the bike shop has suggested the following models...

Attachment 1045714

I'm confused (actually ignorant) regarding the specifications of these bikes. The Caad 8-5 appears to have the same basic components as the Bianchi-105 & not withstanding the fact that the front derailleur on the Bianchi is a Tiagra while the one on the Cannondale is 105, the Bianchi 105 is ~ 25 K more expensive than the Caad 8-5. So the question is, do the rest of the components on the Bianchi justify the extra 25 K ? Also, could somebody help me with the differences between the 105 & the Ultegra ? As a recreational user, would I be able to tell the 105 & the Ultegra apart (the Bianchi Ultegra is a further 25 K on the 105) !
Going by the components, the Binachi Ultegra is the best, with the Cannondale coming in second. That said, there is very little to separate the quality of these components. I have 105 on two road bikes, and apart from the weight difference (even that is negligible), there is no perceptible difference in shifting quality or braking quality between Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra.

The 25k extra on the Bianchi 105 makes no sense at all, since it has a Tiagra FD while the cheaper Cannondale has a 105 FD. The rest of the components do not make that much difference. Wheels of course are not mentioned. While Ultegra is more expensive, it does not justify a 50k premium on the Cannondale.

The only disadvantage for the Cannondale is the lack of frame sizes. If you are shorter than 5' 8" or taller than 6', chances are, the available sizes will not be the right fit for you.
Old 18th February 2013, 09:42   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Took a test ride of Trek 7.1 and Helix 2.3. I liked the Helix more for its riding posture and the smoothness. Now, the store guy also suggested to try a KHS Alite 150 and it did feel quite easy and nice on the road albeit on a short ride.

This has left me slightly confused and I need some advise from the gurus. I weigh about 90kgs and intend to use the cycle for the daily commute (about 25kms round trip). At this point, I have no plans of serious trail riding, but given the cost similarity, does an MTB make sense?

Also, any store in Bangalore where I can get a test ride of Fuji 2.1? I have checked BumsOnTheSaddle and Procycle, but they dont have one currently.

Thanks,
Girish.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:42   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Took a test ride of Trek 7.1 and Helix 2.3. I liked the Helix more for its riding posture and the smoothness. Now, the store guy also suggested to try a KHS Alite 150 and it did feel quite easy and nice on the road albeit on a short ride.

This has left me slightly confused and I need some advise from the gurus. I weigh about 90kgs and intend to use the cycle for the daily commute (about 25kms round trip). At this point, I have no plans of serious trail riding, but given the cost similarity, does an MTB make sense?

Also, any store in Bangalore where I can get a test ride of Fuji 2.1? I have checked BumsOnTheSaddle and Procycle, but they dont have one currently.

Thanks,
Girish.
Check with wheelsports in chamarajpet, venky will be more than happy to help you. if your intend use is only for commute on good roads then stick on to hybrid.
Old 18th February 2013, 14:33   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
http://www.scott-sports.com/za/en/pr...t-x70-men-xxl/

Has anyone seen this bike - SCOTT ATACAMA? I saw this bike at the store and really like it. However not much reviews about this bike is available. Need to know whether this bike can be used for long rides and village roads.

Thanks,
Kiran
Scott bikes are generally reliable. This one too seems to have reasonably reliable components. The frame being aluminium, will transmit vibrations of rough roads and on long rides, may be a bit of a bother, though, if you ride a lower psi, the 40c tires will absorb a lot of that. However, lower tire pressure will also mean increased rolling resistance.

A steel fork will absorb better than an aluminium fork would, and to some extent will compensate for the straight bar. This bar offers only one hand position as opposed to a drop handlebar that gives you multiple positions preventing palm numbness.

All in all, this is a reasonably sturdy bike, and can deal with village roads, though it is not the best bike to ride over long distances. Of course, people do ride hybrids for long distances. For long distance riding, a carbon or steel bike is preferable, and one that allows for 28-32c tires and fenders is even better.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:26   #1512
Awaiting Email Confirmation

have any of you guys installed the BSA cycle carrier for HATCHBACKS
am planning on getting one installed
wanted some honest feedbacks and pics if any have them

i own a swift and want to install a BSA carrier , rear mounted one
the THULE carriers are way too expensive to transport cycles
Old 20th February 2013, 20:25   #1513
BHPian

Hi SCARLET,

Firefox sells bike carriers:

http://www.firefoxbikes.com/ProductList.aspx?CatId=22

They used to sell a "Firefox" branded one that fit any car (SUV, hatchback or sedan) and carried nearly any kind of bicycle. I don't know if they still do, it's not on their site anymore though.

Hope this helps
Old 21st February 2013, 13:24   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Scott bikes are generally reliable. This one too seems to have reasonably reliable components. The frame being aluminium, will transmit vibrations of rough roads and on long rides, may be a bit of a bother, though, if you ride a lower psi, the 40c tires will absorb a lot of that. However, lower tire pressure will also mean increased rolling resistance.
Thanks Prabhuddhadg for your reply.

All the bikes I liked are above 25K. Hence now I am looking at a good used bike to start with. Can anyone one suggest a good shop/ webforum (Pune/Mumbai) from where I can get a good used bike?

Thanks

Kiran
Old 21st February 2013, 14:06   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Thanks Prabhuddhadg for your reply.

All the bikes I liked are above 25K. Hence now I am looking at a good used bike to start with. Can anyone one suggest a good shop/ webforum (Pune/Mumbai) from where I can get a good used bike?

Thanks

Kiran
For road bikes you can go to Prabodh Keny in Prabhadevi. For used bikes though, you will have to keep your eyes peeled and wait. Prabodh also gets used bikes now and then. I have a nice Italian steel bike that I had bought from him.

Most Viewed