Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 13:56   #1636
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Hi guys , I am from Mumbai . I am planning to buy a bike this weekend . I am confused.
I primarily want it for commute every morning to gym + saturdays i intend to take it to my office (mumbai roads(lot of pot holes) 15kms). My question to you guys is
1)Will going in for a hybrid (scott 670/680/660) or GT tachyon 3.0 a right decission?
2)or looking at comfort and road conditions in Mumbai should i go in for a MTB .
If yes , Please suggest / recommend

(My budget is around 18-30K)

Please post your comments soon
Old 11th September 2013, 15:48   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Couple of reasons: I've seen quite a few who take the "hybrid first, roadbike next" route (including myself). Second, I put myself in your place (a person living in Goa) and imagined cycling about (on a roadbike) in those fantastic scenic routes.
born_free's BZ link is a must read too.

Should be, as long as parts (shifters, derailleurs, chain) fit in and are upgraded in sync.

IIRC, low-end alu frames are lighter than low-end steel frames. But shock absorbing capability is better on steels. On a track, weight savings matters, hence the notion of alu-as-the-default.

Aggressive (i.e. non-relaxed) geometries are not favourable/comfortable off the track (think motoGP?) if you plan on riding long distances (i.e. longer saddle time).

born_free's link puts in a few points to consider.
Plus there's the rubber (tyres, tubes) that has aged a bit.
If I had no choice and the pricing were drool-worthy (read: less than its pre-budget hike price) I'd buy it and change the tyres after the first puncture or something.

Take a look at CompetitiveCyclist's fit calculator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleelda1 View Post
...i have a Schwinn Sporterra sport, barely touched, if you are interested.
its in mira road, i am 110 5'10 myself and it rolls like a dream...
is it still there ? or you already found an outlet for this?
Old 11th September 2013, 17:04   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Hi guys , I am from Mumbai . I am planning to buy a bike this weekend . I am confused.
I primarily want it for commute every morning to gym + saturdays i intend to take it to my office (mumbai roads(lot of pot holes) 15kms). My question to you guys is
1)Will going in for a hybrid (scott 670/680/660) or GT tachyon 3.0 a right decission?
2)or looking at comfort and road conditions in Mumbai should i go in for a MTB .
If yes , Please suggest / recommend

(My budget is around 18-30K)

Please post your comments soon
What's the purpose of using the bike?
1. If it's getting to the destination efficiently get a road bike.
2. If you are looking at some exercise/burning fat get an MTB
3. Hybrid's are personal preference. I don't enjoy riding them due to its relaxed sitting position. However, do try them out before you decide.

I ride a Trek 4300 and find it very well suited to roads in Thane. The tires are efficient as compared to other MTBs and I find it to be equally good on roads and dirt paths (might not be suited for hardcore mountain biking though) and the frame is excellent! Check with retailers if they have the 2012 stock, that would run you around 35K.

Scott Aspect 670/680/660 are hard tail MTBs. I found the tires to be a let down, not as efficient at the Trek 4300
Old 11th September 2013, 17:46   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
3. Hybrid's are personal preference. I don't enjoy riding them due to its relaxed sitting position. However, do try them out before you decide.

I ride a Trek 4300 and find it very well suited to roads in Thane. The tires are efficient as compared to other MTBs and I find it to be equally good on roads and dirt paths (might not be suited for hardcore mountain biking though) and the frame is excellent! Check with retailers if they have the 2012 stock, that would run you around 35K.

Scott Aspect 670/680/660 are hard tail MTBs. I found the tires to be a let down, not as efficient at the Trek 4300
My dealer(bike sharks- borivli) is trying to push me scott 670/680/660 . i am more inclined towards hybrids against MTbs is because my knee joints are weaker points of my body and i don't want to stress them out on longer trips915-30 kms ) . When you say scott 670/680 tires are a let down , can you please let me know why you feel so?
Also TREK 4300 , how wide are the tires ?
28mm? 35mm? 1.5"? 1.8' ? if you remember .
Thanks in Advance.
Old 11th September 2013, 19:05   #1640
BHPian

Quote:

Well , you may be right on Trek 4300 but the problem is i cannot stretch to even 35000. Also the Tachyon 3.0 found with one of the delaers is 2012 stock and i might get a better deal.
But dont know about it's strength to take it even for mild off roading.
Also would you recommend Sportster range from scott.
it has got 1.25" tyres (much thinner than your trek 4300 tires which has 2.25" tyres i guess) but still can be suitable for mild off roads as it is an hybrid.
Confusing part :
I doubt if i will ever take it off roading.
The confusion starts due to the condition of mumbai roads .
Should i treat them as off roading? no pun intended here but i have serious confusion related to this.
Or a normal hybrid bikes is good enough will give no problems here .
The biggest fear in my mind is tire punctures or giving up due to bad roads.

Sportster by the way is listed in trek range of scott website here : http://www.scott-sports.com/global/e...Trekking_2014/
Old 11th September 2013, 20:37   #1641
BHPian

Quote:

Sportster by the way is listed in trek range of scott website here : http://www.scott-sports.com/global/e...Trekking_2014/
Your riding distance is very limited and mostly around Mumbai roads which are relatively flatter. Some myths -
1 -> Road bikes are not suited for our roads. They are pretty well suited. If you ride safely nothing happens. However, they are not ideal for city commuting especially if you carry a backpack
2 -> MTBs with wide tyres are less prone to punctures. Wide tyres mean more rolling resistance. Wider tyres help provide better grip and transaction on dirt like terrain. They are equally susceptible to puncture. However fixing a MTB flat is way easier than fixing a roadie flat
3 -> Hybrids -> Perfect for city commute. You really dont need the shocks for city riding or even hill climbing. Most MTB folks lock their shocks while climbing hills. You can fit wider tyres on hybrids if you are uncomfortable with narrow ones. Most cyclists that I know usually end up fixing 23C tyres on their MTBs for city commute. You get different types of hybrids - comfort or sport. One has relaxed posture where as the other has more aggressive posture. You can chose what fits you.

I'd suggest you start off with a cheaper bike (since your distance is limited) and once you understand your body well, buy a better bike. Many people wont like this advice, but buy a Hercules 110 ACT. Will be easy for you to maintain and is a pretty decent city bike. I have 3 bikes, a trek 4300 MTB, a trek 1.2 roadie, but use the 110 for my office commute.
Old 12th September 2013, 00:00   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Well , you may be right on Trek 4300 but the problem is i cannot stretch to even 35000. Also the Tachyon 3.0 found with one of the delaers is 2012 stock and i might get a better deal.
But dont know about it's strength to take it even for mild off roading.
Also would you recommend Sportster range from scott.
it has got 1.25" tyres (much thinner than your trek 4300 tires which has 2.25" tyres i guess) but still can be suitable for mild off roads as it is an hybrid.
Confusing part :
I doubt if i will ever take it off roading.
The confusion starts due to the condition of mumbai roads .
Should i treat them as off roading? no pun intended here but i have serious confusion related to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Your riding distance is very limited and mostly around Mumbai roads which are relatively flatter. Some myths -
1 -> Road bikes are not suited for our roads. They are pretty well suited. If you ride safely nothing happens. However, they are not ideal for city commuting especially if you carry a backpack
2 -> MTBs with wide tyres are less prone to punctures. Wide tyres mean more rolling resistance. Wider tyres help provide better grip and transaction on dirt like terrain. They are equally susceptible to puncture. However fixing a MTB flat is way easier than fixing a roadie flat
3 -> Hybrids -> Perfect for city commute. You really dont need the shocks for city riding or even hill climbing. Most MTB folks lock their shocks while climbing hills. You can fit wider tyres on hybrids if you are uncomfortable with narrow ones. Most cyclists that I know usually end up fixing 23C tyres on their MTBs for city commute. You get different types of hybrids - comfort or sport. One has relaxed posture where as the other has more aggressive posture. You can chose what fits you.

I'd suggest you start off with a cheaper bike (since your distance is limited) and once you understand your body well, buy a better bike. Many people wont like this advice, but buy a Hercules 110 ACT. Will be easy for you to maintain and is a pretty decent city bike. I have 3 bikes, a trek 4300 MTB, a trek 1.2 roadie, but use the 110 for my office commute.
As "zoombiee" has mentioned:
1. Road bikes work well on our roads.
2. Hercules 110 ACT is good at that price range

Personally, the tyres on Scott were a let down for me. You have to ride it to experience it. They somehow feel heavy and not too eager to move! Again, its a personal thing and others may feel otherwise.

As far as your weak knees are concerned, that's what the gears are for! Once you are able to identify the cadence you are most comfortable at, and learn how to work the gears to maintain it your knees should do just fine .

Also, look at Btwin Riverside 3 Men, I believe they are pretty good hybrids for the price. It has an MTB like riding stance and pretty slick tyres. If you come down to the Decathlon store in Thane you would get to test it out.

Whatever you do, don't buy a bike without riding it. What suites one may not suite another! Reminds me of the old MRF add "Man, the machine, the tyre!"
Old 12th September 2013, 00:58   #1643
BHPian

Actually that's a very good and particle suggestion
I think that is around 12k
I can understand my liKing and may be go for a high end one in another 6-12 months of use. Thanks for the useful post. Will let you know here about my final purchase
Old 12th September 2013, 12:55   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand my liKing and may be go for a high end one in another 6-12 months of use. Thanks for the useful post. Will let you know here about my final purchase
Another piece of advice - Dont buy any accessories apart from a really good helmet, lights for front and blinking LEDs for back side. Also if possible get a reflective jacket like the ones worn by traffic cops. Dont buy gel seat covers, stands and unnecessary mudgards and handle accessories
Old 12th September 2013, 13:27   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Another piece of advice - Dont buy any accessories apart from a really good helmet, lights for front and blinking LEDs for back side. Also if possible get a reflective jacket like the ones worn by traffic cops. Dont buy gel seat covers, stands and unnecessary mudgards and handle accessories
Thanks again . I know was having this at the back of my mind already .I wanted to thank you and sumith earlier but cannot see the thanks button on my screen in this thread(don't know why) .
Why do you say not to buy a stand ?
I might require a stand and also a lock.

Also I think i will have to park the cycle in the open. Is it not advisable ?
Another option i might or might not have is the box grill of the bed room window. But that would be inconvenient.
I would prefer to park it in open downstairs if it is OK for the cycle's life / durability.
Yes also the only thing that goes against the Hercules 110 act is the weight that is 18 kgs. But i guess i have to start off with that and see and adapt my spendings to the durability of the new found enthusiasm.
BTW , i am 33, a fitness freak , 5'10" ,72 kgs .
Enjoy running but off late due to rheumatism forced to restrict my running workout to much fewer numbers. Hence the new found enthusiasm for cycling + practicality of being able to take it to office (saturdays)
Old 12th September 2013, 13:32   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
I actually have a totally different opinion on this. A cheap bike might actually discourage you from taking cycling seriously if you don't feel comfortable with the cycle.

I will cite my own experience on this to illustrate. I borrowed a Hercules bike (I don't remember the model) from my friend for a week before I bought my own cycle to check if I can cope with the ride to and from my office on a cycle. After that one week I was actually in two minds whether to buy a bicycle or not. A minor leap of faith and a gentle nudge from our esteemed Finance Minster made me actually go ahead and buy a Trek 7100 in April 2012.
There has been no looking back since then. I commute to my office 4 days a week in the cycle now and pick up the cycle whenever I have to run minor errands nearby.

By the way, Trek 7100 is a hybrid and I am running it on the pothole infested roads of Bangalore for a year and half now without a single puncture or feeling the need for a MTB.
Old 12th September 2013, 13:48   #1647
BHPian

Moderator note: Please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks.

Quote:
As "zoombiee" has mentioned:
============
Whatever you do, don't buy a bike without riding it. What suites one may not suite another! Reminds me of the old MRF add "Man, the machine, the tyre!"
I am willing to come down to decathlon store in thane .It has to be planned but. I am having a very hectic schedule till next weekend.Kindly PM me your number.. if you don't mind.
The btwin suggested by you is in the price range of 23- 24k. right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
I actually have a totally different opinion on this. A cheap bike might actually discourage you from taking cycling seriously if you don't feel comfortable with the cycle.
==========
By the way, Trek 7100 is a hybrid and I am running it on the pothole infested roads of Bangalore for a year and half now without a single puncture or feeling the need for a MTB.
I have that fact at the back of my mind.
But @ Zombie , please let me have your opinion on this again .You being a user of 3 bikes including the Herculeas A110 : do you think that it is something not to be looking forward to?
Last visit to a shop got me really attracted to SCOTTS and GTs but that was going by looks and other things i could see. test rides were not available.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th September 2013 at 14:24.
Old 12th September 2013, 14:46   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
[b]
But @ Zombie , please let me have your opinion on this again .You being a user of 3 bikes including the Herculeas A110 : do you think that it is something not to be looking forward to?
Last visit to a shop got me really attracted to SCOTTS and GTs but that was going by looks and other things i could see. test rides were not available.
It depends on how much you want to ride. The numbers that you provided are too low. With those numbers I doubt you will find any much difference between a decent cycle and a great cycle. The Hercules ACT 110 will be pretty practical. You wont loose much if you loose it as compared to more expensive bikes. I am thinking about parking in open parking, gym parking etc. Also, you have a bad knee, so cycling may actually be detrimental to you. The best way to find out is to invest less on a decent bike, find your calling and then take it to the next step. I very much doubt you will find significant difference on the ACT v/s 7100 on a 15 kms ride. For 50-100 kms ride you will find hell lot of difference. Also you are pretty much my height which means the bike should fit you decently if not ideally.
Old 14th September 2013, 09:06   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Moderator note: Please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks.

I am willing to come down to decathlon store in thane .It has to be planned but. I am having a very hectic schedule till next weekend.Kindly PM me your number.. if you don't mind.
The btwin suggested by you is in the price range of 23- 24k. right ?
Sorry, don't have the rights yet to send you a PM with my no. There's a firefox store in Thane, the address is:

Emerald Plaza, Block 2, Shop No. 11, Hiranandani Meadows, Off Pokhran Rd 2, Opposite Lok Puram, Thane (W), Thane West, Thane

It's run by Joe. He keeps Firefox, Trek and Scott bikes. If you drop in there he would be happy to give you a test ride for the bikes.
Old 14th September 2013, 11:16   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, don't have the rights yet to send you a PM with my no. There's a firefox store in Thane, the address is:

Emerald Plaza, Block 2, Shop No. 11, Hiranandani Meadows, Off Pokhran Rd 2, Opposite Lok Puram, Thane (W), Thane West, Thane

It's run by Joe. He keeps Firefox, Trek and Scott bikes. If you drop in there he would be happy to give you a test ride for the bikes.
My email address is madhup632@gmail.com
Please PM me your number if you can. Would be helpfull to me to talk to you before deciding which is most likely to happen tomorrow.

Also Hiranandani Meadows- thane visit was due for me as it also happens to be the same complex where a very dear friend of mine opened a subway outlet. May be i can visit both Decathlon as well as this firefox store and decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks