Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2014, 02:19   #1771
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
PS: For those folks interested in getting some practical no nonsense advice in buying a bicycle, head over to RR cycles in Madiwala and speak to the owner Rakesh. They have a shop in Marathahalli too.
Saw this gem from them on Bikeszone from a cyclist who had broken his rear derailleur hanger on his Sporterra and needed a replacement:

Quote:
Got to know that RR Cycles might have it, called them up. They said they have a fabricated one made of steel. They made it from steel as the aluminum derailleurs are prone to bending
That just about sums up their expertise. Excuse me while I
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:02   #1772
Distinguished - BHPian

A few photos of my Trek.

A Handsome Side Profile

The Bicycles thread-photo-1.jpg

The Saddle - gives great support

The Bicycles thread-photo-3.jpg

The rear derailleur - has worked well so far

The Bicycles thread-photo-4.jpg

The chainring - has given a few problems

The Bicycles thread-photo-5.jpg

Had my first puncture on the bike last week. Fortunately took place just 500 metres from home, and I could wheel it back without too much of a hassle. Got it repaired from a local bike tire guy for Rs. 20.

Did my first 30 km ride today, at an average speed of 22 kmph. Was great fun.
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:15   #1773
BANNED

I have a 2 month old RR 5.0 and I am facing a problem with the saddle.

Since that had a quick release/adjust feature, now while riding it keeps moving sideways, no vertical movement though.

What can be done?

Anurag.
Old 2nd February 2014, 20:00   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since that had a quick release/adjust feature, now while riding it keeps moving sideways, no vertical movement though.

What can be done?

Anurag.
Take out the saddle completely after releasing the quick release and try tightening the little nut you see that holds the saddle with the post(there will be 2 of them). This might have gone loose. If those are fine, put the seat post back to the cycle and tighten the quick release by checking that seat post is not loose and doesnt move sideways.

Hopefully this should solve your problem. If it doesnt you might have to see an expert by visiting a mechanic.
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:27   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
A few photos of my Trek.

The rear derailleur - has worked well so far
Hayek, I don't own an expensive bike like Trek but have a humble Hercules ACT 110. What I notice in you real derailleur picture is, there is no protection for it if you suffer a fall. My bike has metal U bracket outside of real derailluer which I think is there to protect it as that will be the first thing that will hit ground in case of a fall.
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:27   #1776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A few photos of my Trek.

A Handsome Side Profile

Attachment 1200385
OT question - the lock "holder" in the first pic - did you get it with the lock or got it done seperately?
Old 4th February 2014, 08:13   #1777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT question - the lock "holder" in the first pic - did you get it with the lock or got it done seperately?

With the lock.

To Shipnil's observation, must say this is not very unusual - more expensive products being less robust than cheaper ones. Tried a multi quote reply but it did not work even in Web view from the iPad app
Old 4th February 2014, 10:58   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hayek, I don't own an expensive bike like Trek but have a humble Hercules ACT 110. What I notice in you real derailleur picture is, there is no protection for it if you suffer a fall. My bike has metal U bracket outside of real derailluer which I think is there to protect it as that will be the first thing that will hit ground in case of a fall.
http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...on-884912.html - last post.

Quote:
That is for when kids lay their bikes down without using the kickstand. Anything coming in

The bending derailleur hanger is by design. If it doesn't bend, then the derailleur bends or the frame bends. Which would you rather have to fix?
Old 4th February 2014, 11:03   #1779
Team-BHP Support

Hi Friends,

I live in Coimbatore and I have been cycling on and off for the past 3 years. This is the first time I am visiting this thread since becoming a TBHP member. It is great to know that many TBHP'ians are very active in cycling. Hope to connect with you all regularly and share our rides.

Quote:
A few photos of my Trek.
Hi Hayek,
That is a nice bike you have. Wishing you many healthy miles of biking.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:11   #1780
BHPian

Tamilnadu Cycling Club in association with MMSC is organizing a Crit Race at Irungattukottai track on February 16th. Same day, MRF is organizing car/bike race (MRF 2000 (renault powered), Formula Ford 1600 cars, National motor cycling championship & Stunt bikers coming from US to jazz up the proceedings.

Details regarding crit race can be found here : http://tamilnaducyclingclub.org/

If you are interested in watching live action, PM me for free passes.

Tifosi.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:50   #1781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I thought I'd write up a review of the B'Twin Rockrider 5.0 after riding my first 50 km to work (and back lately) on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I to have felt this issue but I guess the solution that I have found is when changing from 2 to 3 (left hand) The rear gear must be in 5 or 6. I tried doing this and it slots perfectly when pointed at 3. Can you just try it?!

Thanks guys - your honest feedbacks plus opinions from cyclist friends who have used the Rockrider made me seal the decision. Been delaying it for over a month, as I couldn't decide whether I should up the ante and go for the higher range of bikes or be content with this one. The bike's on the way from Bangalore, and should be in Pune in a day or two.

I'm planning to hit the Decathalon store in Wagholi today, feel like a kid going to a candy store Let's see how much moolah do I burn today! I have decided NOT to take the credit card - hopefully that should put the brakes to some extent
Old 4th February 2014, 14:16   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It was just my observation. I am yet to suffer a fall. BTW, the assumption in the post is that the U bracket wont bend but it will effect a bend in derailleur or frame which may or may not be true.
Old 5th February 2014, 04:23   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It was just my observation. I am yet to suffer a fall. BTW, the assumption in the post is that the U bracket wont bend but it will effect a bend in derailleur or frame which may or may not be true.
Correct - but it is the cycling equivalent of the crumple zone (in a way).

My approach is that if something has been designed a certain way by top global manufacturers with millions of bikes sold and scores of qualified engineers/designers, then they must be on to something. No?

as for ACT110, I doubt its designers have applied so much thought. Here is a link on their earlier problems which no longer seems to be the case: http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...p?f=16&t=10416
Here's where a smart guy found out that the website itself had photos of the seat-post in the wrong direction, leading to mechanics fitting it wrongly: http://bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic...tart=45#p70224

I'm sorry but I refuse to take any design consideration from the ACT 110 too seriously.
Old 5th February 2014, 14:01   #1784
Team-BHP Support

Need some guidance on an issue I am facing with my bike. I have the Trek 4300D MTB with hydraulic disc brakes. I have a regular problem with the disc brakes. In the evenings, after a hot day, the brakes get tight. If I repeatedly engage and disengage the brakes, they become free after some time. Or if I pour water on the brake enclosure (not the discs or the calipers) they become free. Is this because the oil expands due to temperature thus engaging the brakes? Any permanent solution for this?

Attaching some photos of my bike below. I have owned this bike for the past 4 years. Except for the irritant problem with the disc brakes, it has been a wonderful experience with the bike so far.

Side profiles
The Bicycles thread-side-profile-1.jpg
The Bicycles thread-side-profile-2.jpg

Saddle and lock.
The Bicycles thread-saddle-lock.jpg

Forward gear selector
The Bicycles thread-forward-gear-selector.jpg

Rear gear selector
The Bicycles thread-rear-gear-selector.jpg

Bike computer and LED head lamp, both from Cateye
The Bicycles thread-bike-computer-head-lamp.jpg

Front disc brake. The attachment to the fork is the sensor for the bike computer
The Bicycles thread-front-disc-brake.jpg

Rear disc brake.
The Bicycles thread-rear-disc-brake.jpg

Rear drive train
The Bicycles thread-rear-drive-train.jpg

The stock tires were the knobby MTB tires. With these tires, the average speed I could muster was 18 to 19kmpl on tarmac. As I do most of my rides on proper roads, changed to these Bontrager SR1 slick tires. And my average speed has bumped up to the higher 20's.
The Bicycles thread-bontrager-sr1.jpg

Looking forward to connecting with other biking enthusiasts here.
Old 5th February 2014, 14:11   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
as for ACT110, I doubt its designers have applied so much thought. Here is a link on their earlier problems which no longer seems to be the case: http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...p?f=16&t=10416
Here's where a smart guy found out that the website itself had photos of the seat-post in the wrong direction, leading to mechanics fitting it wrongly: http://bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic...tart=45#p70224

I'm sorry but I refuse to take any design consideration from the ACT 110 too seriously.
Ha ha! You seem to have taken a simple observation into my bicycles design against others debate. Neither did I say ACT110 is a better design nor I know for a fact that ACT110 is the only one to have that kind of bracket.

BTW, I knew all of problems with ACT110 before buying the bike. Not everyone wishes to spend a good amount on bicycle purchase. My objective was to buy a decent geared bike and enjoy cycling rather than make it an equipment sport/hobby.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks