BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
PM @ mp417.

: I'm FINTAIL. Not Fintal.
Oh!! Extremely sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
I have been using Montra Blues 1.1 for last three months.

Go through following video which explains in simple way how to use bicycle gears.
Thanks for your input. Your cycle looks fabulous.
And the video is quite inspirational. Do we need to modify the tyre? a slick type will be better?

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 21:15. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 20th November 2014, 15:51   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Thanks for your input. Your cycle looks fabulous.
And the video is quite inspirational. Do we need to modify the tyre? a slick type will be better?
The Montra Blues, being hybrid comes with a more or less MTB inspired frame, with road tyres. So, to put it into perspective:

It comes shod with slicks.

Simple, no?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 20th November 2014 at 15:52.
Old 21st November 2014, 11:48   #2148
BHPian

I find the tyre liners are of just no use with the great road conditions of India (specifically Mumbai),they are just good to prevent punctures from small thorns that's it. Though this nail is a big one earlier also had collected a puncture caused by a small nail .
The Bicycles thread-20140923-17.11.17.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 21:16. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 23rd November 2014, 12:36   #2149
BHPian

Friends - did a 60Km ride to panshet on my rr 5.0, tough ride for me due to the constant uphill sections. The weather was perfect however coming back i had a real tough time, got to improve my fitness a lot still. The total time taken was 3.5 hours

Unfortunately lost my strava recording of the ride as my phone froze and rebooted while was uploading the ride details
Old 23rd November 2014, 19:22   #2150
BHPian

I have placed a pre-order for a very innovative puncture repair kit for $25 at https://patchnride.com/?referral=kO2487Li
If someone is interested, place the order using above link. Reason: I get a $5 rebate for referral.
Yours truly,
PatchNride salesman :-)

Order was placed in end July & this is the latest update from them

"The buzz surrounding patchnride continues to grow louder. We know you are passionately anticipating the release of our revolutionary product, which is why we are hard at work to ensure supreme manufacturing.
Our advanced team of engineers has implemented key improvements to our system to facilitate the ease of use. Our team has tested and re-tested patchnride vigorously and the results have surpassed our greatest expectations.
Production is in progress and it is only a matter of time before your patchnride tool will be a riding along with you. Due to the final improvements, our shipping date has been set back. Our pre-sale inventory is expecting to arrive in the USA at the end of January."
Old 27th November 2014, 10:13   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen-

Please help me make a decision on a Cycle purchase.

A bit about me:
- I'm in my late thirties now
- Am around 5'9"
- Lead a very sedentary lifestyle and love to eat
- Have a cervical problem (C5&6 bulge)
- Not permitted to jog or hit the treadmill, due to 3 past sports injuries on my right leg

So, it all adds up, and I'm about to enter the three digit weight category with almost getting into a 40+ waist size!

Recently, a couple of friends of mine who are about 20% heavier than I am, took to cycling regularly, and the results look encouraging.

So, I've decided to get into cycling myself, and before I lose the initiative or motivation, pick up a cycle and start off. I'm looking at a daily cycling run of around 15 km to start things off.

My selection journey so far:
- I started with a budget of 10-12k, purely because I don't know yet, whether or not I shall be able to sustain it. Plus, there was and is, huge resistance from my family, due to safety concerns.
- I rode a few MTB's in that price range (Fusion, Target etc.), but didn't like the MTB's at all. Sure they look cool, but they don't ride easy or smooth.
- Then I tried the road bikes and hybrids, but didn't like the aggressive riding position of the road bikes. I liked the hybrids a lot.
- I also realized that in my budget, I wouldn't find any decent hybrid, so I have upped my budget now to 20k. And, THAT is really the limit for me for now.
- The cycles that I have tried so far:
1. Montra Fixed Fork - Loved the riding position and ease. Cycle feels light. (16.5K INR)
2. Montra Blues 1.1 - Very nice ride quality, position and easy to ride. (17.5K INR)
3. BTWIN Riverside 500 - Good ride quality, easy to move but a tad aggressive seating position. (20K INR)
4. BTWIN Original 5 - Very comfortable riding position, but the Decathlon salesman was giving all sorts of wishy washy excuses not to buy it, and instead get the Riverside. I did feel it was a wee bit heavier than all the other cycles. (16K INR)
5. Firefox Road Runner Pro V - Value for money but kinda average cycle. It's fairly light and easy to get moving. The riding position isn't the best, but not uncomfortable. (15K INR)

So, given the above, which of these do you think I should be getting? I certainly don't want to go a Rupee beyond the Riverside's buying price. And, I want it to buy latest tomorrow!

Thanks All.

P.S. - The above list was driven by the reviews I had read so far on this thread and from hearsay.

Last edited by roy_libran : 27th November 2014 at 10:18.
Old 27th November 2014, 12:18   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
So, given the above, which of these do you think I should be getting? I certainly don't want to go a Rupee beyond the Riverside's buying price. And, I want it to buy latest tomorrow!
Both, Montra and BTwin are decent brands. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them. While buying a bicycle, as many bhpians would have pointed out, the most important thing is the fit. You should feel comfortable with the reach and seating position. Looks like you like Montra more than BTwin when it comes to fit. But when you say comfortable seating, I hope, you don't mean a bit upright and relaxed seating. This might feel good now but once you start riding, a forward leaning riding position would be desirable which may or may not be achievable with bike you buy.

Also, check what groupset the bikes come with. You can see the hierarchy of them on the website choosemybicycle.com. After the fit, buy the one with better component groupset.
Old 27th November 2014, 13:38   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Both, Montra and BTwin are decent brands. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them. While buying a bicycle, as many bhpians would have pointed out, the most important thing is the fit. You should feel comfortable with the reach and seating position. Looks like you like Montra more than BTwin when it comes to fit. But when you say comfortable seating, I hope, you don't mean a bit upright and relaxed seating. This might feel good now but once you start riding, a forward leaning riding position would be desirable which may or may not be achievable with bike you buy.

Also, check what groupset the bikes come with. You can see the hierarchy of them on the website choosemybicycle.com. After the fit, buy the one with better component groupset.
Thanks Shipnil.

I had no idea whatsoever, about what a Groupset is! Thanks for pointing this out. Seems like the Montra Blues has a pretty basic one, and the one in the Riverside 500 a wee bit better. The site that you mentioned is down right now, but I'll keep trying.

Regarding what I said about the Riverside seating position being aggressive, what I meant was, I felt there was more of my (not insignificant) upper body weight on my arms. But, that is not to say that the Montra is upright seating. It just distributes my body weight a little bit better.

So now, between the Blues and the 500, I have the former, which offers a 5-10% better position but with inferior groupset, and the latter the reverse but at a 2.5k higher price tag.

Can't I just pick the Blues and think about upgrading the Groupset later?
Old 27th November 2014, 14:44   #2154
Senior - BHPian

^ The more I research, the more I lean towards the Montra Blues 1.1. I figured that the Altus Gearset that comes with it, is about the entry level one, but I can always upgrade to Acera or better later and once this wears out.
I hope this is not a waste of hard earned money.....
Old 27th November 2014, 19:21   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen-

Please help me make a decision on a Cycle purchase.

A bit about me:
- I'm in my late thirties now
- Am around 5'9"
- Lead a very sedentary lifestyle and love to eat
- Have a cervical problem (C5&6 bulge)
- Not permitted to jog or hit the treadmill, due to 3 past sports injuries on my right leg

So, it all adds up, and I'm about to enter the three digit weight category with almost getting into a 40+ waist size!

Recently, a couple of friends of mine who are about 20% heavier than I am, took to cycling regularly, and the results look encouraging.

So, I've decided to get into cycling myself, and before I lose the initiative or motivation, pick up a cycle and start off. I'm looking at a daily cycling run of around 15 km to start things off.

My selection journey so far:
- I started with a budget of 10-12k, purely because I don't know yet, whether or not I shall be able to sustain it. Plus, there was and is, huge resistance from my family, due to safety concerns.
- I rode a few MTB's in that price range (Fusion, Target etc.), but didn't like the MTB's at all. Sure they look cool, but they don't ride easy or smooth.
- Then I tried the road bikes and hybrids, but didn't like the aggressive riding position of the road bikes. I liked the hybrids a lot.
- I also realized that in my budget, I wouldn't find any decent hybrid, so I have upped my budget now to 20k. And, THAT is really the limit for me for now.
- The cycles that I have tried so far:
1. Montra Fixed Fork - Loved the riding position and ease. Cycle feels light. (16.5K INR)
2. Montra Blues 1.1 - Very nice ride quality, position and easy to ride. (17.5K INR)
3. BTWIN Riverside 500 - Good ride quality, easy to move but a tad aggressive seating position. (20K INR)
4. BTWIN Original 5 - Very comfortable riding position, but the Decathlon salesman was giving all sorts of wishy washy excuses not to buy it, and instead get the Riverside. I did feel it was a wee bit heavier than all the other cycles. (16K INR)
5. Firefox Road Runner Pro V - Value for money but kinda average cycle. It's fairly light and easy to get moving. The riding position isn't the best, but not uncomfortable. (15K INR)

Thanks All.

P.S. - The above list was driven by the reviews I had read so far on this thread and from hearsay.
All of these options are decent. Just get a good group and start doing 30-40km everyday. THAT matters.

btwin would be a wee bit more reliable.

Choose the one your heart skips a beat for/paintjob you like.

fixed fork if you will not do off-road/have decent roads around you
Old 27th November 2014, 21:02   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^ The more I research, the more I lean towards the Montra Blues 1.1. I figured that the Altus Gearset that comes with it, is about the entry level one, but I can always upgrade to Acera or better later and once this wears out.
I hope this is not a waste of hard earned money.....
Just buy the Montra Blues. It sure can last a lot.

Yes, you can upgrade components later.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:24   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Update: I bought the Montra Blues. Went to Decathlon in the evening to try the Riverside again, but still felt more comfortable riding the Montra.
Thanks Hitanshu, Fintail, Shipnil for helping me make up my mind.
As Hitanshu said, it's more important to hit the road, and that starts tomorrow.
Wish me all the best gentlemen.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:55   #2158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
So have done some more research on this and currently shortlisted the following hybrids to buy (I don't want a road bike for now). Welcome to hear any gyan on the list below if anyone has any views. thanks

Specialized Sirrus Sport
Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc
Fuji Absolute 1.5
Fuji Absolute 1.3
Bianchi Cameleonte 2 (or one level higher if its available here).

After some research on fast road oriented hybrids I decided to take the plunge and directly buy a nice road bike instead. Bit of a punt considering the last time I cycled was more than 20 years ago when I was in my mid teens. Loving it though and glad I went the roadie way.

Here's a pic. It's a Pinarello FP Uno 2013 model. Just got it today.

The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417109009.445538.jpg
Old 27th November 2014, 23:36   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: I bought the Montra Blues. Went to Decathlon in the evening to try the Riverside again, but still felt more comfortable riding the Montra.
Thanks Hitanshu, Fintail, Shipnil for helping me make up my mind.
As Hitanshu said, it's more important to hit the road, and that starts tomorrow.
Wish me all the best gentlemen.
Congrats! Now...the fun begins-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
After some research on fast road oriented hybrids I decided to take the plunge and directly buy a nice road bike instead. Bit of a punt considering the last time I cycled was more than 20 years ago when I was in my mid teens. Loving it though and glad I went the roadie way.

Here's a pic. It's a Pinarello FP Uno 2013 model. Just got it today.
Congrats!

What sort of discounts did you get on her?
Old 28th November 2014, 12:00   #2160
BHPian

Hi Axe nice bike,did you get it from Keny.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks