Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2015, 17:03   #2206
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

After years of couching both in the office and home, I finally decided to start something I loved to do 10 years back - cycling.
Have been doing walks in the morning, but its not something I look forward to.

My requirements were very simple: an average of around 10km daily. The roads nearby are pretty smooth, and flat, hence didn't want a geared high-end cycle.

So, I bought my first cycle today. B-Twin My Bike. The basic model without gears. I did a few rounds with it at Decathlon and last week and was pretty satisfied. Wish me luck guys
The Bicycles thread-cycle1.jpg

Apart from the helmet and blinkers, any other must-have accessories for a newbie?
I don't have any plans on adding mud-guards.

Last edited by aneezan : 8th January 2015 at 17:04.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:46   #2207
BHPian

Congratulations and wish you many happy miles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Apart from the helmet and blinkers, any other must-have accessories for a newbie?
I don't have any plans on adding mud-guards.
How about a bottle holder? It costs around Rs 100/- and is quite useful for long rides.
Old 8th January 2015, 18:26   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Congratulations and wish you many happy miles!!

How about a bottle holder? It costs around Rs 100/- and is quite useful for long rides.
Thanks, will keep that in mind. I have to get a pump as well.

Just did a 2KM ride around the apartment block to get a feel.
Initial feedback:-
- Smooth on straights.
- Good Braking, though am getting a noise when i hit the front brakes
- Doesn't give a lot of confidence on curves. It might be just me and because I am doing this first time.
- Looks very good.
- Being 6'2", the height of the saddle is set perfectly. I had the feeling that it would be short, but am able to reach the ground with a little bit more than my toes.
- The cushioning is good at the front, but am yet to test its full potential on the road.
- Handlebars feel solid, but I feel my palms will hurt in the long stretches.
Old 9th January 2015, 12:48   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post

1. I am 6 feet 105 kgs. No stamina but can generate lot of power for short periods.
Imagine a big beefy guy who can lift a lot of weight but cannot run.

I guess something like a ACT 110 or similar should be fine ?

Would i need suspension. Is suspension really useful in bicycle or a gimmic ?

What about disc brakes ?
For your height, ACT110 is not suitable. It is 19" frame that is suitable for 5'6" to 5'8" people. You'd be cramped on that bike.

You can try bikes from Decathlon to start with. Try to find a frame that you find comfortable to ride.

Suspension and disc brakes might not be needed for the kind of commute you wish to do. You can drop them from your list of must haves. In fact I'd say, drop suspension completely if you are never going to do any trails.
Old 9th January 2015, 14:59   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
For your height, ACT110 is not suitable. It is 19" frame that is suitable for 5'6" to 5'8" people. You'd be cramped on that bike.

You can try bikes from Decathlon to start with. Try to find a frame that you find comfortable to ride.

Suspension and disc brakes might not be needed for the kind of commute you wish to do. You can drop them from your list of must haves. In fact I'd say, drop suspension completely if you are never going to do any trails.

Will checkout Decathlon soon. Was also wondering what kind of bike i should get: hybrid/mountain/city etc ? Hybrid seems to be the correct choice but looking at the skinny tyres was wondering if they will be able to take my weight and may be too bumpy. Mountain seems to the next best choice but i don't know how much more pedaling effort it will require considering heavier frame weight and higher rolling resistance of the tires.

Should i opt for an alloy frame or steel?I guess the only advantage of the alloy would be that it is lighter.

Should i take a bike with quick release front wheel? I guess it will be useful while transporting the bike in my vechicle. Otherwise the bike wont fit.
Is there any disadvantage of the quick release mechanism ?
Old 9th January 2015, 15:53   #2211
BHPian

Quote:

Should i opt for an alloy frame or steel?I guess the only advantage of the alloy would be that it is lighter.

Should i take a bike with quick release front wheel? I guess it will be useful while transporting the bike in my vechicle. Otherwise the bike wont fit.
Is there any disadvantage of the quick release mechanism ?
Regarding whether the bike can take your weight, the store guys should be able to help you when you choose a bicycle.

Between steel and alloy, buy the one that your budget permits. But I am not too sure if the new age bicycles are pure steel. Either they are some form of alloy with higher steel content or aluminum or carbon. But other members could add.

Quick release is preferable. In fact I own ACT110 that came with front quick release only but then I went ahead and converted the rear axle too to quick release for the sake of easy transporting. The only disadvantage is, if there are people who know how to steal wheels around your area, you might lose them.
Old 9th January 2015, 18:30   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
T
How'd it go?
It was sold an hour before i reached seller's place.
Appreciate for your advice though.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 9th January 2015, 20:21   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
It was sold an hour before i reached seller's place.
Appreciate for your advice though.

Regards,
Shubhendra
LOL! .

My closest so far has been missing a WagonR by a single day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Thanks, will keep that in mind. I have to get a pump as well.
Get yourself a cyclometer, that is detachable. Such as the CatEye Velo 7.

I got it under 3k, back in November 2013.

And try and put some Slime/Liners into the contact patch between the tube & the tyre. Another set of liners is to be used between the tyres and rims, as well.

You'll be puncture proof. Literally. Out of the 9k kms I've done yet, about 3k with the previously mentioned tyre accessories, and Voila!

No punctures.

As and when you get used to this one, even thinner tyres (Geax StreetRunners, for one), will greatly improve your efficiency, and consequently, your tiredness.

I've also felt the need for the mobile phone holder. Duly installed. Check out sites like Flipkart, as well.

BTW- If I were you, I'd increase the saddle height even further. My toes barely touch the road surface, and I'm happy, for I find that my legs are most comfortable, and consequently more quick & efficient in this position, which allows least bending.

See what you're comfy with.

And- the saddle is too thick. A more thinner one, if fitted later, along with more thinner tyres, would ruin the ride, but improve handling and speeds too such an extent that.....

Last edited by FINTAIL : 9th January 2015 at 20:42.
Old 9th January 2015, 21:18   #2214
Team-BHP Support

The Bicycles thread

Quote:
LOL! .

And try and put some Slime/Liners into the contact patch between the tube & the tyre. Another set of liners is to be used between the tyres and rims, as well.

You'll be puncture proof. Literally. Out of the 9k kms I've done yet, about 3k with the previously mentioned tyre accessories, and Voila!

No punctures.

I've also felt the need for the mobile phone holder. Duly installed. Check out sites like Flipkart, as well.
Hi Aneezan.

Congrats on the bike. Some valid inputs from fintail there most important being to get the ride posture and setup spot on. There's a fair bit of literature out there on getting that absolutely right. On some of the points,

1. Punctures: I've heard that solution only prevents pinch punctures not punctures per se but I don't know first hand.

2. Mobile holders. I don't recommend these at all. They're not always stable and it's adding a needless accessory on the bike that is totally avoidable. Much better to either put it in your pocket, or on a running type arm band or a pouch that straps on to the bike. I've attached some pics of the pouches I've fixed on my bike as well as other accessories. Holds all the travel accessories I need including phone, spare tubes etc. That's the sum total of what I've added on the bike and it's more than enough.

3. Cyclocomp: On cyclo computer, unless you're looking to get cadence data, its totally optional since all other data like distance, speed, avg speed can easily be measured using a host of free apps on your phone like endomondo, strava and many others.

On the palms, cycling gloves help a lot in keeping them comfy. You can get decent ones for as low as 500-600.

Finally, please do wear a helmet.

Happy riding.

The Bicycles thread-1420817971000.jpg

The Bicycles thread-1420817989976.jpg

The Bicycles thread-1420818037321.jpg

The Bicycles thread-1420818056998.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 21:40. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 10th January 2015, 19:30   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Why no one is interested to give a advice? Advice is free right ?
RR5.0. Your budget affords very little quality options so all you can choose in this price range is the color.

That said, I think the mybike / Mybike 7s itself isnt as good as the earlier chinese made rock-riders but if you fix such a low budget, thats the only option.

Go to SportXS and pick it up.
Old 11th January 2015, 00:44   #2216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Anything else i should consider.
Lookup the montra trance pro from montra's 2015 range, I bought mine a couple of weeks back for 14k inclusive of sside stand and a bottle holder.
The same bicycle is also available in another trim with front suspension for a couple of hundreds extra, but looking up this thread I figured suspension was not required for my typically road use.
Old 12th January 2015, 15:46   #2217
BHPian

Finally took the plunge and got myself a Giant Roam 3. The guys at the Giant showroom here in pune were helpful and it was a pleasant buying experience. Thanks to all the in-house gurus @TeamBhp phamilyman,Fintail and others for providing valuable information which helped me select the bike. I would have liked to get a rigid fork bike but somehow I could not find the desired combination of cost,components brand etc. Total damage was 34940/- which included the basic accessories (Bottle Cage,Bottle and a stand). The bike was home delivered.

Took the bike for a short ride of 6K in the evening just to make sure I still can ride a bike after so many years . Although I could ride the bike comfortably I struggled terribly with the gears. I need to figure hot how the gearing works in these bikes(Although I have gone through the videos posted earlier). My apartment is on top of a hill and has a very steep slope in a particular section, I had to walk up with the bike while returning. Any help with tips to master the slopes on a bike will be very helpful.

These are the accessories I am planning to get from the Decathelon store here in Pune. Heard they have a sale going on.

1. Helmet (Budget 2K)
2. Rear Blinker (Budget 1.5 K)
3. Gloves (Bud 500)
5. Cycling shorts with some padding (Bud 1.5 K)
6. Lock
7. Allen Key ste for seat adjustment.
8. Air Pump with pressure gauge.

Please suggest me a cycle rack for my car,I have an OHC with a spoiler which I would not like to remove to fit the cycle rack.

Suggestions on the brands and alternate store for accessories are most welcome.

I have joined the Giant's riders group for updates on their upcoming rides and would try and start riding with them soon. I stay on NIBM road in Pune and would like to ride with any of you guys around here.

Here are the pics:

The Bicycles thread-img_20150111_173015.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20150111_172853.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20150111_172839.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20150111_172811.jpg

Thanks for reading.
Old 12th January 2015, 16:25   #2218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Thanks for reading.
Which Giant showroom are you referring to?

There are quite a few...hence.

Remember- Ride slow, ride safe.

An incident about y'day-

I was cycling, at my usual speeds. Many here will know that my 2012 Montra is subject to high speeds, yes indeed. Had an accident. Wanted to try out some cornering.

The accident spot was the NCC Circle, Pune. I approached from SB Road side, and attempted to bank a wee bit around the circle, without braking, at speeds of 45 ish KMPH.

Kya hona tha....kya ho gaya. 3k km run slicks slipped for the first time, resulting in a bent seat column, and a very broken and bruised me.

The thing fell on the gear unit. Cannot shift. So- I'm off cycling for a while. And I'll send the bike for a gear change. (Read as upgrade )

For as they say - Every cloud has a silver lining.

Or lets see, an upgrade to a roadie at last?

Oh- another lesson learnt- The shocks were partly responsible. Malfunctioned. So- cycles running on slicks beware.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th January 2015 at 16:26.
Old 12th January 2015, 17:38   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
I went to the one near RTO, Sangam Bridge. Sorry to hear about your accident, take care and get well soon.
Old 12th January 2015, 19:18   #2220
BHPian

Quote:

There are quite a few...hence.

Remember- Ride slow, ride safe.

An incident about y'day-
Sorry to hear about your accident.

Could you please post few photos of the damage done if possible? I've seen Firefox bikes with some kind of rear derailleur protection frame. I am just wondering what sort of damage is possible in case of slide or bike coming down heavily on right hand side.

Most Viewed