Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:02   #2386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
I have been trying to arrive at an optimum hydration rate for cyclists:

Is 1 liter/15km fine?

I know other factors such as temperature, tyres, bicycle, fitness levels exist.

So- Whattdya think?
I did a 76k ride the other day with 2 L of water. Never felt dehydrated during and after the ride. I just started cycling a couple of months back and 1000km. I feel 1l/15km is too much.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 22:56. Reason: Excessive dots removed.
Old 24th March 2015, 00:11   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

20km--1 liter water ratio is optimal- IMO.
Old 24th March 2015, 02:56   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Wow, I never thought we need this much water intake. I think climate also plays a big role. I had only a litre of water for the 2:30 hr ride, It was sunny but temperature was -2C .
Old 24th March 2015, 11:54   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mudguards go out first!
Dont want to look and act like a "dirty" boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is a cool looking ride. Wishing you thousands of miles of healthy rides. BTW, the seat looks to be a bit low. Check the adjustment. When you complete the down stroke of the pedal, your leg should have just a little bend. Too much bend would result in knee pain. Another crude method to test: when you are on the saddle, you should barely manage to touch the ground with the ball of your foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lovely ride. Against @Fintail's suggestion, I'd say the mudguards stay. Makes a hell lot of a difference when you are riding on a wet day/surface.

Btw same thoughts on the saddle height - seems low to me. You'll probably be better off with a few more inches of height on that.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion on the seat height. I dont know why I did not pay attention to this. I did feel pressure on knees as the legs could not stretch fully during one of my recent long rides.
Old 25th March 2015, 09:24   #2390
BHPian

Handy tips for cleaning your bike -
https://www.decathlon.in/blog/clean-your-bike/

Mods if posting an external link is a violation, please delete the post.
Old 25th March 2015, 10:01   #2391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Handy tips for cleaning your bike -
https://www.decathlon.in/blog/clean-your-bike/

Mods if posting an external link is a violation, please delete the post.
Unfortunately, some of us know better than that. Flaws in that article are evident.

That said.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've gone and blown up the budget!

Here are my options:

Scott Speedster 60. And the Schwinn Fastback 3. @41k + Continental Gatorskins.

LaPierre Audacio 200. (http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/2015...rt/audacio-200). Price cannot be revealed. This one will have to be imported. Specifically.

What do you think about this?

Cannondale CAAD 8. No comments on the price.

Yeah- Cannot reveal who were the dealers. Had to pull a couple of strings...et cetera.

The perks of being an active cyclist!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 25th March 2015 at 10:05.
Old 25th March 2015, 11:02   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestion on the seat height. I dont know why I did not pay attention to this. I did feel pressure on knees as the legs could not stretch fully during one of my recent long rides.
http://freerider.in/drupal/General/Cycling-Gyan#FitQn should help you set it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Wow, I never thought we need this much water intake. I think climate also plays a big role. I had only a litre of water for the 2:30 hr ride, It was sunny but temperature was -2C .
Thats about okay for someone really fit and in good weather

Quote:
20km--1 liter water ratio is optimal- IMO.
Completely disagree. By that logic brevet riders will spend their day just riding and peeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The rule of thumb I follow is 1 liter per hour, keep drinking every 10 minutes. Never wait till you feel thirst. The moment you get thirsty, you will start losing energy.
A bit lesser overall I'd say.

A fairly accomplished cycling coach here believes in a gulp every half an hour, but just slightly lesser quantities.

Personally, despite being a century weight unfit dude, my cycling fitness is such that i often dont drink anything during a 40k morning ride, or max ~300ml.

Only during longer rides (i.e more of chennai sun) do I bother with consumption of water at regular intervals, say after 30-40k. The first 15-20 km, I don't even consider having a sip of water.
Old 25th March 2015, 11:13   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Only during longer rides (i.e more of chennai sun) do I bother with consumption of water at regular intervals, say after 30-40k. The first 15-20 km, I don't even consider having a sip of water.
Hmmmm......I think after a bout of cycling in hot weather- I'm willing to change my opinion.

30km- 1 Liter. Yeah- That is better.

Many of us have different approaches actually. I tend to drink a lot more water.

'Neways, I await your comments on my previous post.
Old 25th March 2015, 11:22   #2394
BHPian

@ Fintail, the Schwinn Fastback 3 looks like a good deal with Claris components. I guess it's the 2014 model. Also, are you getting Gatorskins free?
Coming to the Caad 8 and Audacio 200, you can't go wrong with those but depends on the price.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 22:59. Reason: Typos...
Old 25th March 2015, 12:42   #2395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
'Neways, I await your comments on my previous post.
Assuming budget is not a concern, in your place, I would choose between Canondale and Lapierre. Speedster 60 with 7 speed cassette is too basic. I am not including Fastback as I do not have any idea on this make.

As you have not provided details of the manufacturing year for Canondale and specific model (Sora 7 or Claris 8), I assume it is Claris 8 2015 model. Canondale with a 12-28 cassette would be faster than the Lapierre with a 13-26 cassette due to the better top gear ratio (50/12 vs 50/13), by a very small margin though. On the other hand, for hills, Lapierre with a triple crank of 50/39/30 would give you easier lower ratios (30/26 vs 34/28) and more gearing options.

So, if you plan to do hill rides, give preference to Lapierre, and if you plan to ride mostly on flat terrain, consider Canondale.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 25th March 2015, 17:20   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Guys- The final list is as follows:

The Scott Speedster 60. 2014.

The Schwinn Fastback 3. 2014.

The Bianchi C2C Nirone 7. 2013/14.

And lastly, the Lapierre Audacio 200 2015.

I need opinions on each and every single bike. Particularly from the gearing and brand value P-O-V.

So- what do you think?
Old 25th March 2015, 20:37   #2397
BHPian

@Fintail, please post the approx prices too. So we could gauge the price to performance ratio or the maximum bang for the buck.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 22:59. Reason: Typos, SMS.
Old 25th March 2015, 20:48   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
@Fintail, please post the approx prices too. So we could gauge the price to performance ratio or the maximum bang for the buck.
Ok- The Audacio for 55k. Took some patience for this deal.

Then the Bianchi C2C for err....40k. Schwinn Fastback 3 for 41k.

And the Scott Speedster 60 for 40k.

And I'll add GatorSkins over all this. So another 2-3k. And a little more upgrades. Saddle- etc. Another 2-3k.

So- Ideal price seems to be 40 + 5k (approx) - 45k. Or 60k- If the Audacio comes in.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 22:59. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
Old 25th March 2015, 20:51   #2399
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone upgraded their wheels?

I am planning to get rid of my MTB as we do not have any offroad events. Looking to invest the cash on some decent upgrade wheels and others stuff for the road bike. Any suggestions?
Old 26th March 2015, 00:04   #2400
BHPian

@ Fintail...The deals that you got on the bianchi and schwinn are awesome, especially the bianchi...woww.
Leave the Scott's...not a great deal. Leaving the Audacio because you have to import it , the battle is between bianchi and schwinn. Reviews for bianchi are good but with one major problem is it cannot handle even a bit of rough road, gets really unsettled. Component wise it's schwinns claris vs bianchis 2300. But bianchi has a carbon fork. Personally I would chose the schwinn because having owned a schwinn they are really well made and very light. But the bianchi deal is crazy.

Most Viewed