Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2015, 00:56   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Driving cars, riding bikes were resulting in no physical exercise and i was a silent reader of this thread. So finally thought of joining the club! As a beginner i wanted a basic comfortable bicycle. Did some research and zeroed on the Hercules Sparta. Picked the cycle yesterday for 5,700 bucks. Reasons i avoided going for a geared one are -

Still- Let this be a starting stone!
Move on to more serious things- Quickly!

Take off those cheap seat covers. And do NOT install any padded gel seats or anything.

__________________________________________________ _________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
We posted at the same time. Just read your quick bike review. Simply awesome. Eagerly waiting for more updates.
BTW, Nice name: Piranello
You shall find this extremely hilarious :

http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=4&t=17082

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th April 2015 at 01:25.
Old 12th April 2015, 01:30   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

Still- Let this be a starting stone!
Move on to more serious things- Quickly!

Take off those cheap seat covers. And do NOT install any padded gel seats or anything
Mods- pardon the B2B posts- The time limit had expired, so I continue my quoted post:

Samba, kindly refer to this post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3497422

Thanks! You DO NEED a better cycle. I shall refrain from calling it a waste of a cycle etc- hehe. We all needed to start *somewhere*, no?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th April 2015 at 01:38.
Old 12th April 2015, 10:01   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Piranello looks something (very much actually) like this. Mines a 2014 though- some differences evident.:

I'm using the existing saddles for now- If I need better ones, I'll try to get San Marco ones.

For my review- refer to the first post of this very page. (Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3683390)

It's gonna be here come Tuesday. Oh....The wait is toooo much......

Got a set of aluminium pedals- (BTwin or something, I think), and replaced the clip-on pedals. I'm keeping the clip-on pedals, you never know when they might be useful.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th April 2015 at 10:05.
Old 12th April 2015, 12:29   #2449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mods- pardon the B2B posts- The time limit had expired, so I continue my quoted post:

Samba, kindly refer to this post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3497422

Thanks! You DO NEED a better cycle. I shall refrain from calling it a waste of a cycle etc- hehe. We all needed to start *somewhere*, no?
Thanks for the guidance. Its just the beginning. Will surely upgrade in due time and get ready to get bugged from me with multiple novice queries.
Old 12th April 2015, 17:27   #2450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
As a beginner i wanted a basic comfortable bicycle. Did some research and zeroed on the Hercules Sparta. Picked the cycle yesterday for 5,700 bucks.

Regarding the cycle- I rode for 10kms today and the initial observation's goes like-

Its easy going. Not much effort needed. I could easily touch 20km/hr. My average riding speed was around 12 kms/hour.
The shock absorbers do work and they feel comfortable.
The riding position is comfortable too.
The stock seats are not comfortable. So i have put one spongy seat cover but that do not help either. Will get the seat changed to a more comfortable one soon.
The cycle looks good, though i would have preferred this jazzy look more 10 years back!
Attachment 1359746
Good start. Let me be a bit honest - that brute of a bike weighs a lot - I would have gone for a Mybike which is also gearless and a lot lighter. Having said that, it's a start and that all matters. One can always upgrade anytime, no

- Increase the height of the seat - it looks low; can easily go up 4-6 inches or more. It'll make a huge difference in riding, for sure!
- As @fintail correctly mentioned, lose the seat cover.
- Can the stand be removed i.e. screws removed etc. Unless you carry some stuff at the back, that's just extra weight - easily 1/2 to a kilo for sure.
- Have fun - that's all matters
Old 13th April 2015, 12:37   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I did not get the drift.
But that said no discount on this one. This and a black one were the only ones available @550 AUD. Mudguards, Rack and Panniers are extra.

At this moment I really do not see myself on a roadbike. I do not like that crouching posture. I cycle wearing a cheap loose t shirt and a bermuda (though I do use inserts). Spandex/Lycra/(Whatever skin tight) shorts and me don't mix.
Please let me know how much you have paid for Jamis and from where you have purchased it. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th April 2015, 15:06   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Took the bike yesterday to Surender cycles Baner, Pune.
Quote:
I pay the same amount at Surinder (or as I like call the place- *Surrender Cycles* !)
Congratulations !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Oh, servicing costs have gone to the moon in Pune thanks to the global brand based outlets
Thank you for your tips on ride to Bombay

My experience with Surender cycles Baner was pathetic. While booking an appointment, they told me that bike will be ready in 1.5 hrs thus I rode to their store, upon reaching they told that they can not deliver before evening. I had no other option to go home (it was just afternoon). My cycle had two problems. One, noise from left pedal and top gear was not engaging smoothly. I asked them to add bottle holder as well.
Cycle was ready by 6:30 PM, during test ride gear change was still not smooth though pedal noise was eliminated. Their mech told me that in few kms gear change will smoothen. I rode from their shop to Dehu road and in few kms, pedal noise was back and top gear was engaging with too much of effort and multiple attempts. After 200 hundred kms, top gear is stopped engaging 
In a meanwhile, I attempted my first long distance cycling Poona -> Lonavala -> Khopoli -> Panvel -> Kalambodi on Saturday night and it was a good experience.
Need suggestion on:
1) A mechanic who can remove top gear problem and pedal noise
2) How to overcome pain in bums. I wear padded btwin shorts along with standard seat (Montra blue), after 80 kms, bums were soared. Any suggestion please.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 13th April 2015, 18:41   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Congratulations !

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Quote:
Congratulations !
Thanks- Shubhendra!

For the first point of yours- refer to my post here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3655593

He charges a lot. Be careful of that. But his work is excellent. I can vouch for that.

Shall speak to the owner of Surrender () cycles about your experience , tommorrow. Have bought 3 (or is it 4?) cycles from him.

I'm told- best to avoid the Baner centre. Karve Road one rules.

It's a matter of hours for the new bike to come in....One feels restless in such situations, no?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 13th April 2015 at 18:44.
Old 13th April 2015, 19:36   #2454
BHPian

^^^Fintail, you are hilarious. We are eagerly awaiting too. How about a good photo session

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2015 at 10:58. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
fastraj is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th April 2015, 20:18   #2455
Senior - BHPian

It's been 3+ years with Giant Revel, since I live on the coast/hilly region I have got to ride/test this bike on some very tough terrain. Overall very happy with this bike.

The Bicycles thread-wp_20150412_08_15_43_pro.jpg

The Bicycles thread-cy3ss.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 00:34. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line. Typos.
Old 14th April 2015, 03:49   #2456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations !

Thank you for your tips on ride to Bombay

In a meanwhile, I attempted my first long distance cycling Poona -> Lonavala -> Khopoli -> Panvel -> Kalambodi on Saturday night and it was a good experience.
Glad to be of help! Didn't know you did it in night - that's even more awesome. I found that more fun than the day trip on the same route

Quote:
2) How to overcome pain in bums. I wear padded btwin shorts along with standard seat (Montra blue), after 80 kms, bums were soared. Any suggestion please.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Ah - well while others provide feedback (hopefully better than mine), what I have generally found useful is to take intermediate breaks and just lay down on any bench/wall/any base or even just on the grass or ground on the side - of course without being at harm from incoming traffic and at sufficient distance from the roads.

Time and time I have done that in every long rides - I have used public bus stops, restaurant tables (if they allow), or just the grass on the roadside.

Quote:
Shall speak to the owner of Surrender () cycles about your experience , tommorrow. Have bought 3 (or is it 4?) cycles from him.
[/i]
The sardarji? ATB! Not the most "jovial" fellow around to take criticism as much as I remember him
Old 14th April 2015, 18:38   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations !

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
I'm told by the owner, that :

Quote:
In case of any grievances, kindly call up, and talk. I shall ensure that the issue is solved- in the best possible manner.
Well-Something to that effect anyway. So- If you so wish, kindly talk to him. He's a genuine person.

Besides, the roadie is here. 6 kilometers up!!
Old 14th April 2015, 19:07   #2458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well-Something to that effect anyway. So- If you so wish, kindly talk to him. He's a genuine person.

Besides, the roadie is here. 6 kilometers up!!
Thank you for help. will take my bike there this weekend.
arrey wah, Congratulations !

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 14th April 2015, 22:42   #2459
Senior - BHPian

I know that most roadbikers do not install a side stand in the interests of weight saving. I know.

But from the outset; I had made one thing very clear. I never was going to use this solely for roadracing. Never.

My objective was one thing : I wanted a bike with an excellent frame- and decent enough gears. The 2014 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast 2300 met my requirements fully; and a lot more.

It has to play multiple roles- rolling along fast; to be an excellent commuter (THE ONLY reason for those side stands); to do a LOT of long distance touring.

Panniers, and other things will be added later. Gear upgrades are a must. So far all I can comment is that the gears are nothing special. Good, decent. All right. But not special.

Shifting is quick enough- but isn't great. The only bane - IMO. This will need running in.

That said- The comfort is excellent. Geometry- relaxed. As someone said to me once- (@Minkey_Chief?) : These Bianchi Coast2Coast's are excellent long distance tourers. I've installed the CatEye Velo7's already. Those meters, are cheap, and excellent. Do the job nicely.

The bike, at the moment is umm....6.5 kilometers old. Quite young-don't you think? It's still the early days. I look to keep this one for quite a while.

Upto the 'Twenties. The 2020's will be an amazing decade- I eagerly await it.

Here's the first proper shot of {Piranello a.k.a Pi3.14 (I'll give a reason for the name )}.

So- Say a good 'hi!' to her, could you?

Take a bow- Piranello!
:

The Bicycles thread-photo0047.jpg

The tyres are Hutchinson Nitro's . 700x23. Running them @ 100 PSI.

Quote:
In road bikes, 700x23 and 700x25 tires are for racing
(Link : http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...=700x23#p29328)

So there you go. Race spec tires. Whitewalled.

The bike is quick. No doubts about that. Handling is excellent. Shifting could be a lot better- as said before. The saddles could be a lot better- but I guess even they will need running in. Let's see how they fare after 1000 km.

For now- Located a pair of San Marco saddles. (Bianchi OEM?). They are ironically, in Celeste which is Bianchi's trademark colour which is the same colour my bike is in. Love it!

Brakes work all right. The pedals were replaced- The clips were not really required for me. Thus, the original pedals were duly replaced. And to be replaced soon. Again. Need better ones. Again. Dammit.

And, before I forget- Ride quality is *excellent*.

Carbon Fibre is *really* something, what? The ride is not at all what I expected- even with the extremely thin (700x23) tires. I think the Bianchi rides better than my 2012 Montra Rock- I. Heck- This one is not even 10km old. Will need to ride a *lot* more to arrive at a detailed conclusion.

As regards to the price : MRP was 60k. Or 58k to be precise. The bill for accessories is umm....4k I think. Or was it greater? Need to buy a better helmet. Another new set of tires- brakes and assorted consumables. And a *proper* tool kit. Got a new set of allen keys. Really recommended!

*Proper* riding begins from tomorrow. Will pile on the miles. A lot. A trip to Bombay might be on the cards in May.

Expect this bicycle to intimately know the bilanes of Poona, Bombay, and of course, Bangalore. Lot's of touring would take place. God knows- You cannot really predict the future, can you?

Signing off!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 14th April 2015 at 23:11.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:36   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
I know that most roadbikers do not install a side stand in the interests of weight saving. I know.
Signing off!
Nice review.
Pi 3.14 looks good. Name changed?

IMHO please get rid of the golden bottle holder Looks out of place..

Wish you many happy miles and rides with Pi 3.14.
And please join strava asap

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks