Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 13:32   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Does it have something to do with pi day? -March 14? Or the raspberry pi?
Old 15th April 2015, 16:56   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

The bottle holder is off. It was bolted on by some mech at Surinder Cycles.

Took it off meself. Today.
Old 15th April 2015, 17:43   #2463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
My objective was one thing : I wanted a bike with an excellent frame- and decent enough gears. The 2014 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast 2300 met my requirements fully; and a lot more.
Sweet ride!

Thankfully you got that ghastly bottle holder removed! And finally a bike with an appropriate seat height put up! lol

Btw if you plan to do a lot of riding, get a cover for the crankset - or you are going to have some torn pants for sure! You get simple light plastic/fibre ones too.

And what's with the Nitro tires? Weren't you planning to go for Gatorskins? They come in "racing" 23c and 25c too! To be honest never heard of these ones.

P.s. Are you on Strava? Do pm me your profile id
Old 15th April 2015, 18:39   #2464
BHPian

Congrats on the Bianchi via Nirone and welcome to the club, @FINTAIL. That's one classic colour. I wish you a long and happy time with the bike.

Let me introduce my bike:

The Bicycles thread-img_0270.jpg

These were its specs.

Quite a few things got changed over time:
  • Saddle: the stock San Marco was just bad. It was convex at the top and it was problematic for me. The Specialized ToupeRBX that fit my sit-bones took its place and these have a longitudinal slit in the centre.
  • Handlebar-stem: was changed to be shorter (Giant MTB stem).
  • Front wheel: cracked the stock rim when it was given to truing after it got bent in an accident last year. Replaced with the only thing I could find in B'lore - a Triban Forme from Decathlon.
  • Tyres: stock Hutchinsons grew bald and I wanted some more comfort and maybe speed. Replaced them with Specialized Armadillos 700x25.
  • Fork: didn't want to risk it after the same crash last year where the wheel bent. Got this through a friend from outside the country. It's fully carbon.

Thats about it. You'll see the Shimano 105 pedals there which I used with Shimano shoes for some time, but I don't use those road shoes anymore and ride it as-is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Btw if you plan to do a lot of riding, get a cover for the crankset - or you are going to have some torn pants for sure! You get simple light plastic/fibre ones too.
P.s. Are you on Strava? Do pm me your profile id
These also help avoid trousers from getting damaged. Also has a reflective tape on them.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2019 at 08:44. Reason: line spacing
Old 15th April 2015, 21:25   #2465
BHPian

Congrats Fintail on the lovely bike. Hope she munches thousands of mile with you on top Can we create a Strava TeamBhp Club and maybe have a ride once in a while ?
Old 16th April 2015, 15:52   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Can we create a Strava TeamBhp Club and maybe have a ride once in a while ?
Good idea. I'm for it.
Just searched Strava, someone has already created club with Team-BHP name. And it's a private club

The Bicycles thread-strava.png
Old 16th April 2015, 17:16   #2467
BHPian

Hey I have created that.. You guys can pm me your id's I will add. Else I can make the group open. Can I use the TeamBHP logo there. Suggestions please.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:49   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
Hey I have created that..

I think we can use the logo. Mods?
I have pm you my handle. Keeping the club restricted is okay for now.
Old 16th April 2015, 21:43   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Does it have something to do with pi day? -March 14? Or the raspberry pi?
Something *quite* similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sweet ride!

Thankfully you got that ghastly bottle holder removed! And finally a bike with an appropriate seat height put up! lol

And what's with the Nitro tires? Weren't you planning to go for Gatorskins? They come in "racing" 23c and 25c too! To be honest never heard of these ones.
Yeah @NP - Here's my observations :

The bottle holder is gone. Out. I might repaint it to black.

My bike has an appropriate seat height!

Indeed a long time after we're seeing a bike with a perfect fit. On this thread, most bicycles whose pics are submitted, are generally fit disasters.

The ruddy saddle is always- tooo low!

That said; I'm used to torn pants. My 2012 Montra Rock - It has destroyed umm......I lost count of how many pants it has destroyed. Really.

Need 25c tires. 23c are fine, but I got stuck (almost) in those Pune roads because of them.

How?

Most of the arterial roads here are concreted here, right? Essentially concrete blocks placed on a surface, right?

Now, my tires got stuck into a particularly large gap between two concrete blocks. When I was rolling along, at 40KMPH. Ouch.

How did I come out? Honestly, I was lucky that I didn't fall down. My high velocity saved me- I came out. But- Somehow. Need to be a lot more careful and ensure that my tires are placed on a proper part of the road surface.

That said- The stock Hutchinson's are good enough. They look extremely good- hehe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Congrats on the Bianchi via Nirone and welcome to the club, @FINTAIL. That's one classic colour. I wish you a long and happy time with the bike.
Whoa! Thanks for the wishes- And never knew that you were a cyclist too- Forget owning a similar cycle like mine.

Guess we find common ground. FIAT's and Bianchi's. Both Italians. Hehe.

Quote:
[*]Saddle: the stock San Marco was just bad. It was convex at the top and it was problematic for me. The Specialized ToupeRBX that fit my sit-bones took its place and these have a longitudinal slit in the centre.[*]Handlebar-stem: was changed to be shorter (Giant MTB stem).[*]Front wheel: cracked the stock rim when it was given to truing after it got bent in an accident last year. Replaced with the only thing I could find in B'lore - a Triban Forme from Decathlon.[*]Tyres: stock Hutchinsons grew bald and I wanted some more comfort and maybe speed. Replaced them with Specialized Armadillos 700x25.
Okay- I'm gonna upgrade to San Marco's (in Celeste. Located one specimen) soon. Bianchi OEM. Currently am running Spectras.

These can be a lot better- Let's see how these fare.

Could you please describe the accident? In detail?
Thanks!
Quote:
Thats about it. You'll see the Shimano 105 pedals there which I used with Shimano shoes for some time, but I don't use those road shoes anymore and ride it as-is.
Okay- Noted these pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Good idea. I'm for it.
Just searched Strava, someone has already created club with Team-BHP name. And it's a private club
Quote:
Hey I have created that.. You guys can pm me your id's I will add. Else I can make the group open. Can I use the TeamBHP logo there. Suggestions please.
Keep the group closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post

I think we can use the logo. Mods?
I have pm you my handle. Keeping the club restricted is okay for now.
The previous messages were absolute gems.

Thanks- @OHCVtec.

For now- Have requested the mods to look at; and consider your post. Whether we can use the T-BHP Logo, or not.

@All : Today I rode a sum total of 35 kilometers. So, the bike is effectively 67 KM old.

My FD isn't shifting. So, I shall will repair it myself this Sunday. My bike was delivered with non working brakes.

So- Yesterday, was awake till 12.30AM, trying to figure out the intricacies of a calliper brake system. Suffice to say, having a set of allen keys really helped.

Tuned it. Loosened it. Damn, it's too damn loose!

Tightened it. But, it's too damn tight now! It's hardly working.

Another half-an-hour's worth of fiddling. Tighten this nut, and loosen that. Adjust the cable. Again.

Is the cable tension all right?
Yeah- It seems so.

Loosen that nut just a wee bit. Yeah- Looks a lot better.

A couple of coffees down. Another ten minutes of fiddling. Take the rear end of the rear brake cable out.

Re-assemble. Again. And do it *properly*. Oh wait- I'll loosen that bolt by a wee bit.

Just a wee bit.

Tada! It's done! PURRFECTLY working. Just the *right* way I wanted. The time was 12.14 AM.

I was profusely sweating.

Don't you *love* it when an experiment is successful?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 16th April 2015 at 22:06.
Old 16th April 2015, 23:23   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

Most of the arterial roads here are concreted here, right? Essentially concrete blocks placed on a surface, right?

Now, my tires got stuck into a particularly large gap between two concrete blocks. When I was rolling along, at 40KMPH. Ouch.

How did I come out? Honestly, I was lucky that I didn't fall down. My high velocity saved me- I came out. But- Somehow. Need to be a lot more careful and ensure that my tires are placed on a proper part of the road surface.
Ouch, indeed. Another problem is that the concrete roads don't extend all the way to the edge of the near side of the road. That portion is tar. Over time, the tar and concrete kind of become like 2 levels. I was almost about to fall once. Now I avoid them like the plague.

Oh, and I recently got this made. Made from wood after giving the dimensions to a neighbourhood carpenter.

The Bicycles thread-img_20150413_123338594.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20150413_123317261.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20150413_123327692.jpg
Old 17th April 2015, 14:35   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, and I recently got this made. Made from wood after giving the dimensions to a neighbourhood carpenter.
Wow, that is a very nice setup. Brilliant idea. Just one question, if we place the cycle directly on the wood, do we not risk some scratch or paint damage. Not sure if you have done this but maybe adding some thermocol sheet in that section might be a solution.

A very simple and effective bike storage....
Old 17th April 2015, 15:31   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Wow, that is a very nice setup. Brilliant idea. Just one question, if we place the cycle directly on the wood, do we not risk some scratch or paint damage. Not sure if you have done this but maybe adding some thermocol sheet in that section might be a solution.

A very simple and effective bike storage....
The wood has been filed and sanded to avoid any sharp edges. The actual place where the cycle rests on is actually very smooth. Initially I was going to get it polished, but I liked the raw look more.

The thermocol idea is good. I will try to get some and stick it and see how it feels.
Old 17th April 2015, 16:54   #2473
BHPian

Hello all,
I dont know how I missed this thread.

To start with: I Love Cycling.
Ive been cycling right from my childhood days, and was a serious mountain biker during my school days. In fact, during my weekends and vacations, me and my friend used to cycle for 30+ kms easy, and there was a phase when we used to cycle from Aundh Road to Khadakwasla (areas in Pune) dam and back every single day!
I used to ride a Ranger Swing in my school days. Once I got into mountain biking, I realised that the cycles I was riding just were not enough. I went through 3 Ranger Swings in 2 years (irrepairable frame neck damage).

I then upgraded to a Firefox Viper. This is also when I got into jumps and stunting. The Viper was a decent bike (then) and was perfect for stunting and small 2-3 ft jumps. I managed to destroy a fork and 2 sets of rims on this bike.

Then came my college years where I started riding motorcycles. Also stunted (a lot) and toured on motorcycles. Cycling reduced, to twice a week (on weekends) and then over the college years, reduced to once a month. I basically then just continued stunting on the cycle as and when I got the time. Cycling took a back seat. I eventually sold my Viper to a friend, and properly started motorcycling.

After a near- fatal bike crash in 2009 (I escaped with A LOT of road rash), I decided to take a break from biking.
It was the perfect time to get back to cycling, and I was on the hunt for a nice mountain bike. I wanted a bike I could take on light but fast trails, and also a fair bit of small jumps and stunts.
Went to a friends (and fellow MTBer) shop and decided that I needed a bike I could upgrade in the future. So I wanted the basic components (frame, brakes and derailleur) to be of decent spec. The Orbea Sate with its hydroformed Aluminium frame, hydraulic disk brakes, 100mm travel suntour xcr adjustable forks fit the bill perfectly. I added on a few parts, and rode home a happy man.

The bike is fantastic. Rides well, handles well in corners and dirt and above all, its a nice jumper. The rims have held up pretty well, and so have the forks. But I plan to upgrade the forks soon.
Over the past few years, Ive upgraded the rotors to 8" and tyres to 3.00". Grip in dirt is now fantastic, and the 3" tyres are eye candy.
Few pics follow. Will put up more soon.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-74028_10150293107310251_31727_n.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-33747_10150293107540251_1985959_n.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-76066_10150300254760251_2797913_n.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-75807_10150318873830251_7350676_n.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-149603_10150300254955251_2482893_n.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-189642_10150441239625251_1206083_n.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-10805683_10154753566055251_7776050011589353901_n.jpg  

Old 17th April 2015, 17:41   #2474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thermocol idea is good. I will try to get some and stick it and see how it feels.
Simplest would be to wrap it with rubber cycle tube !

Shubhendra
Old 17th April 2015, 23:29   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The wood has been filed and sanded to avoid any sharp edges. The actual place where the cycle rests on is actually very smooth. Initially I was going to get it polished, but I liked the raw look more.

I feel that you're worrying a bit - too much!

Besides, an update : The odo in my Bianchi is almost at 80km.

Most Viewed