Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Format CON 10

Montra Unplugged 1.1 2015

Suncross Racer Star (M/S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
I would say- Montra Unplugged. Bankable brand, even though the bike itself isn't that awesome.

Montra Unplugged it is- I suppose.

Order of preference : Montra > Suncross > Format.

Haven't even heard of Format actually.
Never heard of brands other than Montra. BTW, the suncross does not seem to have brifters. I don't see a point in spending good amount on a road bike which does not come with brifters and you have to keep switching hands from brakes to change gears.
Old 15th July 2015, 15:01   #2702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
The bike looks good. Please provide more details (brand, price etc.)
Even I am looking for a descent bike for my home minister.

After watching me spending hours on the on going Tour de France (TV, T-BHP) , finally she asked if she can try cycling. I was like "yeahhh why not"

My Montra is of medium frame and not suitable for her. I am looking for a bike which is easy to ride (may be specifically designed for ladies). Nothing too fancy.
Its the 19 inch frame Hi-Bird SBLG 21 speed 26" MTB manufactured for export by Safari International based out of Ludhiana ( http://safaribikes.com/ ) and sold in India through Snapdeal, Amazon, PayTM, and 10Kya.

http://safaribikes.com/mtbnsg_inter.asp

Most of the others charge 1000+ bucks for transport and are more expensive than Snapdeal (which does not charge for transport).

Please note that a lot of the components on the bike are a lucky draw. You can get Shimano or SunRun gears (a Chinese copy of Shimano - extensively used on Suncross bikes). Shimano grip Revoshifts (like on my bike) or SunRun thumb type lever shifters (as in all the photos). Black plastic coated brake levers (as in the photos) or Alloy levers (as in my bike).

The tyres are export Ralsons (Crazee - nylon). First time I've seen Shraeder valves in this price band as well. Quick release front hub and seat post too! Very nice and comfortable sprung moulded seat (in CKD condition). The bike weighs about 17-18 kilos. Nice solid stylish mudguards with refective stickers. Plus front and back and spoke reflectors as well. Steel BCP rims. Very nice V brakes (very good bite even at the soft setting we have kept them for my daughter). Very good brake shoes (look imported).

Quality of all cables is top notch, though all require cable-end crimp protectors. The derailers are both Shimano (with a long cage derailer protector cage and spoke protector disc also fitted) as is the freewheel group set (looks like 14-28 though I need to check). The front 3-chainring crank is nicely shaped, alloy style (though plastic coated steel), with bolted chain cover.

The paint and sticker quality is so-so, though its an attractive cycle in off white with pink decals. The handle is a shorty (I would think 24 or maybe even 22). Resin pedals. The packing and the amount of shrink wrap, paper, cardboard, bubble wrap, and plastic protectors (wheel, hub, frame, etc.) is really good and there was zero damage.

The following is the standard description on all the websites:

Oversize And Swaged V-Type Frame 21 Speed Seat Quick Release Front & Rear Reflectors Steel Bcp Rims V-Brakes Plastic Mudguards. Handle-Bar Allen Key Bolt Front Quick Release Hub Side Stand Tough But Comfortable Mtb Saddle (In Semi Knocked Down Condition). i.e. Only The Front Wheel Pedals Handlebar Seat Front Brake Un-Assembled.

Frankly, my pro cyclist friend who helped me assemble the bike was amazed at the whole package, especially the gears, and said that just the Shimanos provided are probably a little less than the discounted cost of the entire bike. That is of course, IF you are lucky enough to get the Shimanos. Someone told me that the websites have an option to specify Shimano (with a price differential) but I did not find any such on Snapdeal at least.

I think its 7500-8000 with the SunRun gears and 2-3K extra for the Shimanos. I got it on Snapdeal for around 5K.

Hope that helps!
Old 15th July 2015, 16:35   #2703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Never heard of brands other than Montra.
Format is a Singapore based company.

Quote:
BTW, the suncross does not seem to have brifters. I don't see a point in spending good amount on a road bike which does not come with brifters and you have to keep switching hands from brakes to change gears.
I'm sorry if I forgot mentioning earlier. Suncross with Claris brifters and Derailers. Around 20K. 12K stock.
Old 15th July 2015, 17:35   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Fintail: about to complete 1k on the Montra
Mine's at 9k

Gear issue is very common- can be fixed in a minute.
Old 15th July 2015, 18:08   #2705
Senior - BHPian

@mp417

Please add KMC chain to the impressive list of components on the bike. Forgot that one, but specifically now remember my friend commenting on it on close inspection.
Old 17th July 2015, 19:07   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
Its the 19 inch frame Hi-Bird SBLG 21 speed 26" MTB manufactured for export by Safari International

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the detailed information. I think the bike is too good compared to the price. Last month I purchase a bike for my 8 years old daughter. It's a BSA ladybird breeze with a price tag of 4500 after discount. Purchased it from a local shop near home. This Hibird is much better than a ladybird. Funny names isn't it

Looks like purchasing online is the way to go. But then you cannot do a test ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
It's a simple matter of tuning the rear derailleur properly. This video should be helpful.
Thanks. Planning a DIY tomorrow. Let's see

Quote:
Format is a Singapore based company.

I'm sorry if I forgot mentioning earlier. Suncross with Claris brifters and Derailers. Around 20K. 12K stock.
Have you decided to upgrade?
Old 18th July 2015, 11:23   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed information. I think the bike is too good compared to the price. Last month I purchase a bike for my 8 years old daughter. It's a BSA ladybird breeze with a price tag of 4500 after discount. Purchased it from a local shop near home. This Hibird is much better than a ladybird. Funny names isn't it
Ladybird is a proper lady's design cycle (curved top tube). The Hi-Bird is actually unisex. Plus the Ladybird is a single speed bike. Not that it makes a difference to kids riding around in the locality, to school, etc.

Quote:
Have you decided to upgrade?
I've been playing around with the idea of a cheap starter roadie for some time now. As long as the fit is correct, and it has gears (preferably brifters), I really don't see what could go wrong for my modest needs (and especially compared to what I'm riding currently) - i.e. I'm not racing, I'm training plus doing this for fun and fitness, and as I go along, I might throw my hat into the ring for a BRM here or there.

But the mad bawa gene in me prevents from taking the easy way out and I am determined to do at least the BRM 200 (that too the one that includes the Khambatki and Pasarni climbs - not an easy flat stage one, where I can transport my bike by bus to Hyderabad or Ahmedabad or Nashik etc.) on my trusty old iron lady Hercules.

Let's see .... the next Pune BRM 200 is in September. Want to try? Should be still raining and weather should be good.

P.S. Speaking of Montra, and Hybrids (though my mind is set on a roadie), compared to the Montra Trance Pro rigid fork hybrid with Shimano Tourneys front and rear, there is the Firefox Rapide which offers Acera at the rear for less than a thousand bucks more. Everything else looks almost the same between the two bikes. I know a lot of cyclists do not think much of Firefox, but the Rapide does look like a good bike (was thinking about my son here who also wants to get into cycling with me - only his height 6'2" could be a concern).

Last edited by ebonho : 18th July 2015 at 11:53.
Old 18th July 2015, 23:38   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S. Speaking of Montra, and Hybrids (though my mind is set on a roadie), compared to the Montra Trance Pro rigid fork hybrid with Shimano Tourneys front and rear, there is the Firefox Rapide which offers Acera at the rear for less than a thousand bucks more. Everything else looks almost the same between the two bikes. I know a lot of cyclists do not think much of Firefox, but the Rapide does look like a good bike (was thinking about my son here who also wants to get into cycling with me - only his height 6'2" could be a concern).
The Trance actually happens to be a very good product.

Loved the overall quality- significant improvements over my 2012 Montra Rock.

I'd say go for it- I don't struggle while riding the Montra Trance- and I'm exactly 6'.
Old 23rd July 2015, 23:34   #2709
Senior - BHPian

After 9 months and some 450kms down the line, I finally sold off my bicycle (Fantom) to a colleague. In these 9 months, learned a lot about biking and got to know that the bike is a very nice alternative to our cars and bikes. I can now pedal ~10kms at a stretch without breaking into a sweat.

Also learnt that Fantom bikes are good, though not many people are aware of them. In these 9 months, the only expense I had was 8/- per month for filling in the air; no other maintenance cost. Good exercise option as well.

The replacement would be something nicer. Basically I was thinking of the Hercules ACT 110 or something in the Montra range. Someone suggested me to stretch my budget a bit and get an entry level Giant bike.

Can someone suggest me some good bikes in the range upto 25k? The main usage would be to roam around a bit in the mornings and an occasional trip to the office which is around 7kms one way.

I am not too sure about Firefox, I have not seen many reviews of the bicycles online.
Old 24th July 2015, 00:22   #2710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Someone suggested me to stretch my budget a bit and get an entry level Giant bike.

Can someone suggest me some good bikes in the range upto 25k? The main usage would be to roam around a bit in the mornings and an occasional trip to the office which is around 7kms one way.

I am not too sure about Firefox, I have not seen many reviews of the bicycles online.
The Giant Suggestion is spot on. Giant manufactures frames from most bike manufacturers across the world. But an entry level giant may not be the best bike VFM.

DO check out Btwin bikes - french manufacturer Decathlon has large format sports good stores across India with real good pricing. You can get look at their rockrider range and specifically rockrider 5.3 for around your budget (it has a discount of around 8k) over sticker price. Very decent quality and good bang for the buck.

Stay away from firefox and Act 110 etc. They are much more about marketing than real quality.
Old 25th July 2015, 19:45   #2711
Senior - BHPian

Experienced my first puncture. Thankfully close to home. So to get it fixed I simply removed the rear wheel and took it to the cycle shop in my car. Had to replace the tube tough. But I did learn how to properly adjust the brakes today from the exercise of detaching and attaching the wheel.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:26   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

I have the Firefox Momentum 700 C. Try it out. It should fit in your budget and I am happy with the experience so far.
Old 4th August 2015, 14:19   #2713
AWD
BHPian

Im in the process of purchasing a bike, shortlisted; Cannondale Trail series, Giant Revel, Fuji Nevada, Lappiere Raid series. Which one of these should i finally go in for ? Or any other good choices ?
Old 4th August 2015, 14:59   #2714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Im in the process of purchasing a bike, shortlisted; Cannondale Trail series, Giant Revel, Fuji Nevada, Lappiere Raid series. Which one of these should i finally go in for ? Or any other good choices ?
Take a TD (or, to be more specific- TR- Test Ride ) - and on that basis, take a call on what to buy.

For me, the order of preference would be: Cannondale>Fuji>Lapierre>Giant.

All are excellent cycles, I admit. However, I would prefer the Cannondale. Track & Trail outlets are plenty in number- and thus, parts availability and mechanics familiar with the Cannondale will be quite a few in number.

That said, all the bikes are equally good. Take rides, and see if the frame geometry; handling; looks et cetera are to your tastes, or not.

Net on net- All are equally good. Take a test ride, and decide.

When I was hunting high and low for a decent roadbike, a certain dealer suggested me the LaPierre Audacio 200. Many people told me one thing- You just cannot go wrong with the LaPierre.

Eventually I bought a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast. The Bianchi handled great- looked expensive, and had a general aura of Italian charm around it.
Old 4th August 2015, 17:26   #2715
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Take a TD

For me, the order of preference would be: Cannondale>Fuji>Lapierre>Giant.
prefer the Cannondale. Track & Trail outlets are plenty in number- and thus, parts availability and mechanics familiar with the Cannondale will be quite a few in number.

You just cannot go wrong with the LaPierre.
Taken many TRs but still confused!

Yea I heard Cannondale is good, btw Im looking for a 29er. Should I opt for Trail 6 or 7 ? But there are no Track & Trail outlets around & no local dealer for Cannondale so parts could also be an issue.

Im looking for a MTB & Ive also been told the same thing about Lapierre !

Another thing, My height is 6Ft so like size L is suggested in most brands, I do not find this size very comfy. Mainly because I have to sit a bit crouched & have to stretch out arms to grab the handlebar. While I like sitting straight on a bike, which I can't do on the suggested sizes. Now I know that the crouched position is actually the right position to ride but could I downsize the frame to M, would it bring the handlebar closer to the rider & thus I could sit straighter ?

Most Viewed