Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:40   #3091
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Notwithstanding the poor choice of road, that I intend (hope) not to repeat, I also amply realize just how bad the stock Kendas are!
Are you sure you were running the right tire pressure? whats the stock tire size? Or was it a case of cycle just standing on the shop floor with an inflated for a long time and not being moved thus damaging a part of the tire/tube.

I had 700 32 on my hybrid bike. I used to run 90 psi and never had a flat. After 12-15 month of good use, I could see the tires getting old and the tread depth had reduced. One day I saw that the side walls had developed a crack, I also got a puncture on the side of the tube. Thats when I replaced the back tire. In a few weeks had to replace the front tire as well due to a a similar issue. The OEM were Kenda make.

I now run 35 section tires. I needs a bit more effort, but the cushioning is much better.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd June 2016 at 15:13. Reason: Typo. :)
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:02   #3092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Are you sure you were running the right tire pressure? whats the stock tire size? Or was it a case of cycle just standing on the shop floor with an inflated for a long time and not being moved thus damaging a part of the tire/tube.

I had 700 32 on my hybrid bike. I used to run 90 psi and never had a flat. After 12-15 month of good use, I could see the tires getting old and the tread depth had reduced. One day I saw that the side walls had developed a crack, I also got a puncture on the side of the tube. Thats when I replaced the back tire. In a few weeks had to replace the front tire as well due to a a similar issue. The OEM were Kenda make.

I now run 35 section tires. I needs a bit more effort, but the cushioning is much better.
The bike I bought, was on a rack, and not installed with pedals, seat etc.
So, my assumption would be that the cycle would not have been standing on the floor at all.

The bike was reconfigured by the Decathlon guys, on Tuesday evening, for some changes that I requested, and they also rechecked the air pressure for 100 psi, so that should not be something that went wrong, in 2 days!

The tire size is 700c x 23mm unless I am mistaken.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd June 2016 at 15:13. Reason: typo :)
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:10   #3093
BHPian

Quote:
The bike I bought, was on a rack, and not installed with pedals, seat etc.
So, my assumption would be that the cycle would not have been standing on the floor at all.

The bike was reconfigured by the Decathlon guys, on Tuesday evening, for some changes that I requested, and they also rechecked the air pressure for 100 psi, so that should not be something that went wrong, in 2 days!

The tire size is 700c x 23mm unless I am mistaken.
Ack. 23 section will take a serious hit with sharp stones etc.
I find anything less than 32 to be uncomfortable and too harsh to ride. If you are going to use this for commuting on roads with bad sections, consider a broader tire. You will lose a bit of speed and pickup, but gain in comfort.
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:37   #3094
Senior - BHPian

I'm back .

Its been a wonderful time for me, cycling along the beautiful country side here in Sweden(close to 5000 kilometers in 2 years). I thought of upgrading to a road bike last year, but then, I wasn't sure for how long I will stay back here. But now, it looks like I will be here for the next seven years at least.

So, I dropped by to this beautiful Bianchi showroom I have set aside a reasonable budget of 20,000 SEK for the bike and wearables. Garmin and the rest will follow.

So, I am a complete noob when it comes to the roadbike. Will be helpful, if you can give me pointers, so that I won't make any blunders.

EDIT: I forgot click pictures, next time, I will and upload it here.

Last edited by ecenandu : 2nd June 2016 at 15:56.
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:41   #3095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This leads to my question - Notwithstanding the poor choice of road, that I intend (hope) not to repeat, I also amply realize just how bad the stock Kendas are! I need an upgrade, and urgently so. My priority would be to get a set of training tires, which are reasonably priced and offer good grip and puncture resistance. Where can I pick these up, in Delhi or Noida? Please help.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus

-- I have forgotten what punctures feel like, since Nov 2012 and almost 7000km since.
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:46   #3096
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
A cousin is looking to buy his 11 year old son a bicycle. What are the things to look out for, features etc ? Suggestions ?

It will be nice if it is cycle that can be used by both father and son !

Budget - 10k
Update - Ended up buying a BTwin bike from Decathalon for about 9.x k

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:48   #3097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Ack. 23 section will take a serious hit with sharp stones etc.
I find anything less than 32 to be uncomfortable and too harsh to ride. If you are going to use this for commuting on roads with bad sections, consider a broader tire. You will lose a bit of speed and pickup, but gain in comfort.
I am fine with the section of the tires and the ride. In fact I removed the Gel seat that I was using for my Hybrid, once I moved to the Roadie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Schwalbe Marathon Plus

-- I have forgotten what punctures feel like, since Nov 2012 and almost 7000km since.
Thanks a ton Hits. Where would I be able to pick one up, and for how much?
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:44   #3098
Senior - BHPian

So here are the pictures as promised.

The Bicycles thread-img_6911.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6913.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6914.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6925.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6915.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6917.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6916.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6918.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6919.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6920.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6921.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6922.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6924.jpg

Will follow up with the price list.

EDIT:

The Bicycles thread-img_6928.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_6929.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_6930.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_6931.jpg

Last edited by ecenandu : 2nd June 2016 at 17:53.
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:51   #3099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
So here are the pictures as promised.
Within the models you have posted, if you can stretch your budget by another 2000+ SEK, I would suggest the Intenso Ultegra, which is a full carbon frame and Ultegra is a fantastic groupset.

Impulso 105 is also a good choice with an alloy frame and carbon fork. You can invest the saved 5000+ SEK in good accessories like Garmin GPS, pedals etc.
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:41   #3100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Within the models you have posted, if you can stretch your budget by another 2000+ SEK, I would suggest the Intenso Ultegra, which is a full carbon frame and Ultegra is a fantastic groupset.

Impulso 105 is also a good choice with an alloy frame and carbon fork. You can invest the saved 5000+ SEK in good accessories like Garmin GPS, pedals etc.
Intenso Ultegra is 25,995 SEK, which is quite a stretch.

Most likely it is going to be Impulso 105.

Pedals and shoes, they will give it for free depending on which bike you buy.
Old 2nd June 2016, 21:38   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys!

Its been long I have been thinking of taking the plunge of getting one of these bikes. So I had been researching and reading about bikes for the past few days. I am still a noob but I distinctly remember how much I loved bikes when I was in school. Ranger Swing was one of the bikes that made me drool but my parents never got me one fearing its unsafe.

Present Day:

My mom still thinks its unsafe but I feel I should get one soon and the most important reason being fitness. I want to get fit. I really do.

So that got me thinking which bike should I get- Mountain or Road?

I am based out of Kolkata, but I have a few projects going on in Dhaka and there is a nice Giant Bicycles store here. So I decided to pay a visit just to check out what Giant is all about. I had never heard about Giant. It turned out to be a decent visit. It seems Giant is a pretty big brand. You guys would know better. The sale guys explained a lot of things. However, Giant is EXPENSIVE and I dont intend to spend 40K on bikes.

My budget: 20K max.

2 reasons for not going for Road Bikes:-

1) I dont think there are any Road Bikes available at this range.
2) Tires. I have to ask this. How do we ride on those sleek tires on Indian roads. Wont we fall more often? I guess that is why we see more mountain bikes on Indian city roads.

So my quest for the perfect bike has not yet ended. I want a good bike so that I can keep it for some time. I dont intend to upgrade in the near future (read 5 years). If needed I can stretch a little if its a really good bike. One bike that has crawled into my list is RR 340 for 15K. Please let me know what else I can get in this range.

Also since my primary motive is fitness, are mountain bikes any good compared to road bikes?

P.S: For cyclists in Kolkata, please let me know if there are any groups I can join.

Last edited by Pancham : 2nd June 2016 at 21:41.
Old 2nd June 2016, 23:39   #3102
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
that got me thinking which bike should I get- Mountain or Road?
Giant is EXPENSIVE and I dont intend to spend 40K on bikes.
20K max.
RR 340 for 15K.
my primary motive is fitness, are mountain bikes any good compared to road bikes?
I'd actually suggest a Hybrid for fitness purposes. Try Btwin Original or Riverside series.

RR340 is a good bike, I have this one along with a Giant Revel0 29er.

Road Bikes are for racing purposes or doing very long distances. Mountain bikes are for trails. Your best bet for fitness would be Hybrids. I've sort of converted my 340 to a Hybrid with an adjustable Handlebar & a comfy saddle.
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:28   #3103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I'd actually suggest a Hybrid for fitness purposes. Try Btwin Original or Riverside series.

RR340 is a good bike, I have this one along with a Giant Revel0 29er.

Road Bikes are for racing purposes or doing very long distances. Mountain bikes are for trails. Your best bet for fitness would be Hybrids. I've sort of converted my 340 to a Hybrid with an adjustable Handlebar & a comfy saddle.
I looked up both the bikes you mentioned. Can you share how much the Riverside series costs? I could not find the prices online.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:09   #3104
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
how much the Riverside series costs? I could not find the prices online.
Haven't checked the prices lately but from what I remember Riverside costs ~20-25k & Original somewhere around 20k.

You could also check these bikes in the used market & land up with a good deal. As such Btwin network is good so repairs maintenance are cheap & easy if required.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:37   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Haven't checked the prices lately but from what I remember Riverside costs ~20-25k & Original somewhere around 20k.

You could also check these bikes in the used market & land up with a good deal. As such Btwin network is good so repairs maintenance are cheap & easy if required.
I would like to check out the used market but here in Kolkata I am not sure where to start from. I will pay a visit to the decathlon store that has opened here.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd March 2019 at 08:23. Reason: line spacing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks