Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2016, 15:14   #3181
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Any opinions here about tyre protectors? Fed up after my second puncture in 2 weeks. My rear tube went last week, now it's the turn of the front tyre.

I have a Fuji Absolute 5.1 hybrid with 700c tyres. Debating whether I should borrow back my old Btwin Rockrider for the duration of the monsoon. Seems like people chose to toss out thumb tacks and nails onto the road in this season.
Particularly during monsoon, when there is a lot of debris on the road, ride as far from the shoulder as you can.
Old 15th August 2016, 12:23   #3182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Particularly during monsoon, when there is a lot of debris on the road, ride as far from the shoulder as you can.
In Calcutta we have the added nuisance of large scale pre and post-puja pandal erection and dismantling and millions of nails strewn all over the city for two three months.
Old 15th August 2016, 22:38   #3183
BHPian

My bike's rear tire got puncture couple of weeks ago. Thankfully the puncture was at the end of 30 kms ride. When I reached home there was still 50% air in the tire.
Since I have the puncture kit, I tried to fix it. There were two punctures from the inside of the tube which was strange. I could not find any nail/sharp object in the tire. Patched up the two punctures and fitted the tube. While filling air, noticed that tire was losing air very rapidly. Fixing rear tire puncture is very cumbersome process since you do not get free play of the tire due to chain and brakes. Finally gave up.
Decided to replace the inner tube as with these two punctures, it has total 5 patches already. Searched in local market for 700-35CC inner tube. The price quoted by cycle shops was really exorbitant Rs. 450+. Snapdeal is selling Btwin inner tube for 199 but shipping duration of about 8 days. All these tasks took up more than two weeks
They I realized the quick release and tried it. Earlier I have used quick release of front tire (it's easier than rear tire). Entire tire assembly came off within couple of seconds. I thought this is easy. I was so wrong. Getting the tire off is piece of cake but putting it back properly is an experts job
Removed the inner tube and checked for punctures again. There were two more. Decided not to fix it and get the new tube. Went directly to Decathlon. Got the inner tube for Rs. 199. Replaced the old tube and put the tire back in place after many attempts. Checked the gears and everything looks good. Again I was so wrong, took the bike for a spin and noticed that rear gear is not shifting. The number displays gear changed from 5 to 6 to 7 but gear remains in 5. Gears is not shifting below 5. The downshifting lever is completely jammed. Basically I am out of riding for last three weeks now.
Any help in fixing the gear is much appreciated.
My bike is Montra Blues 1.1 (2014 model)
Old 16th August 2016, 09:05   #3184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
.... Entire tire assembly came off within couple of seconds. I thought this is easy. I was so wrong. Getting the tire off is piece of cake but putting it back properly is an experts job
Any help in fixing the gear is much appreciated.
My bike is Montra Blues 1.1 (2014 model)
My 2 cents -
It's slightly easier to put back the rear tire when the cycle is upside down. Also keep the front gear at the highest level and rear one at lowest level to ease chain play.
Old 16th August 2016, 10:03   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
My bike's rear tire got puncture couple of weeks ago.
LOL! Its all a matter of time. Soon you shall be able to remove the wheel, replace the tube and get riding again within minutes. And with many types of tires, you won't even need tire levers. Just a matter of practice.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:04. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 16th August 2016, 20:50   #3186
BHPian

Recently bought a BSA Mach City. It's a budget cycle with a Shimano 21-speed EZ shifter. Does the job for which a bought it for.
Name:  20160816_204659.png
Views: 1418
Size:  660.2 KB

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:04. Reason: Typos.
Old 16th August 2016, 22:54   #3187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
My 2 cents -
It's slightly easier to put back the rear tire when the cycle is upside down. Also keep the front gear at the highest level and rear one at lowest level to ease chain play.
Cycle was upside while I was fiddling with the tire. In fact, asked my wife to give a helping hand. It was funny for sure. Will give it a shot once again else need to take it to cycle shop. I am worried if I fit it incorrectly, either the gear wire or something may snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
LOL! Its all a matter of time. Soon you shall be able to remove the wheel, replace the tube and get riding again within minutes. And with many types of tires, you won't even need tire levers. Just a matter of practice.
The entire episode was really funny for sure. Hope to become expert so that it's not an issue on long distance ride.
Old 17th August 2016, 15:56   #3188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There were two punctures from the inside of the tube which was strange. I could not find any nail/sharp object in the tire.
If these were side by side then most likely you had pinch puncture. Google it up. It usually happens when there is insufficient pressure in your tyre and the bike hits pot holes hard.
Old 17th August 2016, 18:45   #3189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
If these were side by side then most likely you had pinch puncture. Google it up. It usually happens when there is insufficient pressure in your tyre and the bike hits pot holes hard.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Pinch Cuts result from hitting stones, curbs, or sharp edges of holes in the road surface. When the tire hits a sharp edge hard enough, it compresses so that it bottoms out. The inner tube can get pinched between the rock and the rim. Pinch cuts usually put two small holes in the tube. This type of damage is sometimes called a "snake bite" because the two holes look like the wound made by the fangs of a snake.
Pinch cuts sometimes ruin tires as well as tubes, but usually the tire will not be damaged.
The impact that causes a pinch cut can also make a dent or "blip" in your rim
Went through following link. It's very useful.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

It also has a video of rear wheel removal. Will give it a try again
Old 17th August 2016, 19:52   #3190
BHPian

I keep the tire pressure 5-10 psi more than the max pressure printed on the tire.
I am okay with a slightly harsh ride. Higher pressure reduce the chance of punctures.
Old 18th August 2016, 10:23   #3191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It also has a video of rear wheel removal. Will give it a try again
You are welcome mate. I guess if you practice it a few times, you will find it easy to remove. Apparently there is a tyre from Maxxis called Re-fuse that is virtually puncture proof. It has Kevlar as a layer inside. I don't know if there is any Indian importer for the tyre. Worth exploring.
Old 19th August 2016, 17:16   #3192
BHPian

Quote:
I guess if you practice it a few times, you will find it easy to remove.
After watching rear tyre removal videos multiple times, today gave it a shot. And voila, it's really easy. Though I was not as quick as the experts but I could do it on my own without any help. Thanks

The rear gear jam issue still persist. Rear derailleur is not working
Tried making some adjustments but didn't work. Will take the bike to cycle shop tomorrow.
Old 19th August 2016, 23:01   #3193
Senior - BHPian

What brand of derailleur and shifters do you use, if I may ask?
Old 19th August 2016, 23:59   #3194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The rear gear jam issue still persist. Rear derailleur is not working
Tried making some adjustments but didn't work.
Probably need a new shifter cable.
Old 20th August 2016, 16:24   #3195
BHPian

Quote:
What brand of derailleur and shifters do you use, if I may ask?
Shimano Acera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Probably need a new shifter cable.
You are spot on. Went to cycle shop this morning. He mentioned the gear cable is the problem. After removing the cable from rear derailleur and the outer covers, the inner cable was still intact. There was no need to change the cable. He just applied some oil and re-installed. Gear shifting is working again. Got it fixed for 30 bucks

It seems, me removing the rear wheel and cable getting jam was mere coincidence.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited by mp417 : 20th August 2016 at 16:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks