Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2016, 13:26   #3241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
How much can I pay for a one year old BTWIN rockrider 340 bicycle? My friend is willing to sell it and not sure of the price.
There was a guy here selling a 4 month old BTWIN Rockrider almost unused with accessories for 13K. But, he later changed his mind. This ad was noticed in OLX

So you should get it for lower than above mentioned price!
Old 19th September 2016, 14:08   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Have visited Decathlon a few times and tried out multiple cycles but, I like the BTWIN Rockrider 340 (L Frame) the most

It seemed like a decent starting bicycle and fully kitted is costing me INR 18,500

Is this price decent? Is there any other bicycle which i should consider as it's better or similar in specs and overall durability?

Appreciate inputs from the bicycling stalwarts here and thanks in advance
Not a bicycling stalwart, but here's my tuppence -

Spend about 2000 more and get the RockRider 500. Yes - it's an older model, but has far better components, and belongs to one segment above. It's cheaper nowadays, since it has been superceded by the RR520 and more recently, the RR540.
Old 19th September 2016, 14:19   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Appreciate inputs from the bicycling stalwarts here and thanks in advance
Before buying the bike, I'd suggest that you take a bike out for rent couple of times. In Hyd, TheBikeAffair (TBA) rents out pretty decent bikes. The rent is around Rs 300 per day. After taking a ride out 2 or 3 times you would know if you really would like to cycle or not, and then put money on buying a bike.

http://www.thebikeaffair.com/rent.html

P.S:I have no vested interest with TBA, but I am one of their happy customers.
Old 19th September 2016, 19:07   #3244
BHPian

If looking for second hand deals this is the best place
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CYCL...74288589693831
Old 19th September 2016, 22:17   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has any experience participating in randonneuring? Or brevets?
https://rusa.org/
Old 20th September 2016, 11:20   #3246
BHPian

For randonneuring in India http://www.audaxindia.org/
Have done the 200 & 300 kms ones but had to abandon the 300 one at half way point due to cramps,know a few friends who are SR & double SR.

Last edited by yogi1771 : 20th September 2016 at 11:42.
Old 25th September 2016, 13:43   #3247
BHPian

I am looking for a bicycle for my son (8 years).
The requirements are :
a) It should be light.
b) It should sustain for another 3-4 years atleast.
c) It should have less metal body.
d) It should not be atrociously priced.

Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated. Also is it worth buying it online vis a vis buying it from Decathlon.
Old 26th September 2016, 02:29   #3248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Anyone has any experience participating in randonneuring? Or brevets?
https://rusa.org/
Yes. 2014 - India, 2015 - US.
There are several current/past randonneurs on the forum, @graja is one I know for sure.

Did you need any help?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th September 2016 at 02:31.
Old 26th September 2016, 19:04   #3249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Yes. 2014 - India, 2015 - US.
There are several current/past randonneurs on the forum, @graja is one I know for sure.

Did you need any help?
I came to know about this only recently. The New England chapter has something called Sunday Series for the winters. I am planning to take part in the 100K brevet on 2nd October. Since this will be my first brevet, I am just curious about do's and don'ts for first timers like me.
Old 26th September 2016, 19:43   #3250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I came to know about this only recently. The New England chapter has something called Sunday Series for the winters. I am planning to take part in the 100K brevet on 2nd October. Since this will be my first brevet, I am just curious about do's and don'ts for first timers like me.
Great!

I remember you doing a long distance (50M+) ride on the hills a few months back, so a 100k shouldn't be tough.

On a side note, 100k is a populaire, not a brevet

Some of the below points are more relevant to the longer rides, than a 100km ride; but still matter.
  • All these rides are self-supported so carry enough fluids and identify places/shops where you can power up. Most chapters have a well documented list of such places so use that.
  • Have a puncture kit with you, and a spare tube. And the ability to change tires/tubes and correct minor problems on your own.
  • Go through the route in detail and plan out your pace, the elevation map and check-points. These are timed races with checkpoints having time limits. You miss one, and the race is over, even if you complete the entire route.
  • The norm is about 7 - 7.5 hours for every 100kms. Generally there is one or more checkpoint every 100kms. Indian brevets usually had one per 100 kms; mostly manned and with supplies. US brevets are mostly 2-3 checkpoints every 100 kms, mostly shops that have to sign/stamp your brevet card.
  • As goes with any ride, sleep well on the night prior. Very important.
  • Let a friend/family member know about the ride and the route in case of any worst-case scenarios. In my Wisconsin rides, there used to be certain segments where there wasn't a soul/vehicle seen for 10-15 miles, and with no/low mobile network. In addition to cards, carry cash and identification on you.
  • An ideal way to do these rides is to connect with a fellow rider and do it together - either riding together or with one of you waits & re-connect with the slower rider every 40-50 kms.
  • Most important - have fun! Brevets/populaires might be endurance 'races', but in reality they are not a race. Every finisher is a winner. The idea is to enjoy the ride. I generally finished my 200km rides in a leisurely manner in around 12.5-13 hours; with just 30-60 mins left.

Hope it helps!
Old 27th September 2016, 23:39   #3251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ninja has listed almost all the details to take care of on long rides. Also follow the hydration and nutrition I had listed a couple of pages back, and you should be able to finish the 100K comfortably.

All the best for the 100K
Old 27th September 2016, 23:44   #3252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Ninja has listed almost all the details to take care of on long rides. Also follow the hydration and nutrition I had listed a couple of pages back, and you should be able to finish the 100K comfortably.

All the best for the 100K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
On a side note, 100k is a populaire, not a brevet

Some of the below points are more relevant to the longer rides, than a 100km ride; but still matter
Hope it helps!
Thanks, guys! Very helpful points indeed.
I just hope I am able to recover from the current bout of cold that has hit me since yesterday, and that the weather forecast for Sunday improves a little. Rain is forecast and I believe come rain or snow, these rides do happen. So, if I am feeling well, then I will definitely attempt this.
Old 3rd October 2016, 08:35   #3253
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, happy to report that I finished my first populaire today *thanks to graaja and ninja for the helpful tips*

Trails of Groton

It was drizzling for the first half of the ride and wet roads for the second half and the temp never got above 15 degree celsius. Getting rid of the wet socks and feeling the warm dry air of the car blower after the ride was sheer bliss

The pace was quite easy and I had enough nutrition with me to keep me going. A handful of chocolates, a fig bar and a constant supply of Gatorade helped me through.

What did not last however was my phone's battery. This was my first time using Ridewithgps and it seemed to consume more battery than Strava. I had a portable charger with me and maybe I should have stayed back longer at one of the controls to charge my phone. Or, I need to start learning how to use the cue sheets, because I am too busy looking at the traffic to figure out from the cue sheets where to go.

Next populaire is on November 5th. Looking forward to it because it starts from Nashua. I just hope it is not too cold!!

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:20   #3254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congrats on completing. The first ton is always special. Which city did you do this in?

On battery, I believe some apps like strava also work while your phone is in offline mode. Huge battery saving there try it out sometime. I haven't tried it since I use a Garmin watch but this is what some folks have told me.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 00:40. Reason: Quote trimmed, spacing.
Old 3rd October 2016, 18:48   #3255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Congrats on completing. The first ton is always special. Which city did you do this in?

On battery, I believe some apps like strava also work while your phone is in offline mode. Huge battery saving there try it out sometime. I haven't tried it since I use a Garmin watch but this is what some folks have told me.
Thanks! I have done 100 kms once before this but this was the first time I was doing this as part of an event. This was close to Boston, in western Massachusetts. Next one is on 5th November and that is going to be closer to where I live. However, I might have to buy some winter gear for riding in the cold. For this ride, I was wearing arm and leg warmers. Maybe I will need to add gloves and a balaclava at the very least.

I think RideWithGPS also has an offline mode. I am going to give it a try next time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks