Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 22:23   #316
BHPian

deepak, congratulations on your new purchase! Trek 4300 is a great bike and i'm sure you are going to enjoy it for years to come
Old 12th December 2008, 00:05   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
@Deky, Thanks for your suggestion, your most important valid point was to buy a reasonable priced cycle. My wife and I had seen a Firefox BMX, mrp is around Rs7500. We both agreed that that is too much for a young 7 yr old who will loose interest when the next new toy comes along.

@Matrix Ren, thanks also for your helpful links.

I am looking through the Hercules and Hero websites. They have some tough looking bikes for max Rs4000. That works out much more value for money. Should my sons interest in cycling continue, I can always buy him a proper full size bike in a few years time and his height will have also grown to take advantage of the full size bikes.
@Raja,
Have you found something yet for your young one?

I'm also in the market looking for one. I have been to the FF store today and found some real good looking bikes there, they have got Trek as well.

However, I was interested in BMX Toxin, they did not have one for display. They had Trek FiveStar (BMX) for around 13K, which I think again too much for my 8 year kid.

At the store, my wife liked the FullSus bikes and told me that these ones look like a good bike and it seems my kid will also like those weird looking bikes with strange frames on them, but then I kept telling her about the benefits of BMX - almost nothing that can fail (except some issues I read about delicate crank on FF Toxin model).

We have sort listed a couple of bikes with 24" wheel size (dart - Firefox Bikes - join the trail! » Zig and Terrano - Firefox Bikes - join the trail! » Reloaded), We shall take my kid to the store again and let him choose.

However, I was showing them a few videos on some simple flatland tricks, I was able to impress both of them and my wife said "you know! it may be a good idea to buy something simple and sturdy". My kid may anyway demand something new after a couple of years irrespective of what we buy today. So, that may be a good time to buy him a performance bike.

I visited another store and I saw one Lumala BMX there, cost of that bike was less than FF Toxin, the build quality seemed good and has got 4 pegs + 360 gyro as well. Somewhere I read that this is a SriLanka based manufacturer and frames are made in India itself but are tough / sturdy and good. Not sure about all this information as I could not get confirmation with more hits on them.

Does anyone know about Lumala? in case we decide to buy BMX, then I will have to decide which one to go for, either Lumala or FireFox Toxin. Your inputs are welcome..

FF Toxing >> Firefox Bikes - join the trail! » Magma
Firefox Toxin

Lumala Freestyle Phazer >> Lumala : Sri Lanka's leading bicycle manufacturer#

Last edited by Ketan : 12th December 2008 at 00:08.
Old 12th December 2008, 06:14   #318
BANNED

From what little I know you should avoid these cheaper Full Susp bikes. Anyway I think if you are not planning serious off roading full susp bikes should be avoided. A decent 6K bike might be the FF fusion?
Old 12th December 2008, 12:43   #319
Senior - BHPian

okay,

I have almost decided on among these two modesl here.

LA - BMX FearFactor

LA-Sovereign

FireFox - BMX Toxin

Firefox Bikes - join the trail! » Magma

There is one more from Hero, BMX Rotor but I dont know much about the price and quality of that one.

Can someone help me decide the right model and a good dealer in bangalore?
Thank you.
Old 13th December 2008, 15:33   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You're right - go for a proper BMX. I went through 3 so-called 'mountain bike's that simply couldnt take the kind of abuse kids put them through, and for the last one year my son has been on a BMX that has lasted despite having fallen a few hundred times (someone's trying to 'drift' with his cycle, has managed a few spectacular 360 degree scrambles so far).

Go for the BMX, it may be a bit more expensive (if you go for a proper BMX) but it will be worth it. I'm told Firefox is good in India - their bike stations are impressive.
Steeroid,
Can you please tell us what BMX you have? Have you bouth that in India?
Old 6th April 2009, 16:54   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Here is my bicycle.
It is now a special shade of green and black. I use it once a while but my umm..."weight" prevents me from using it reularly. I used to be a very very good cyclist in school and until two years ago used to cycle atleast 28-30 Kms everyday.

WOw. . .i too have the same .hero hawk,stripped off -no carrier,extra handlebar,no stickers,no chain guard but yeah..sadly no k&n sticker as well.But its one great cycle,cheap to bye,and very very lightweight after all that 'weigt redcution',i bought it last year and used it for six months,its been parked ever since,but seeing the pics of your bicycle,made me look back at it and make it ready to hit the street again (with new tyres and handlebar grips).I loved alot when i raced and went faster than those kids on there 'yo-bikes' Thanks alot Mr.cyrus and yeah am going to put those k&n stickers soon,hehe.
Old 18th April 2009, 15:24   #322
BHPian

Which cycle to buy?

I have been thinking of getting a cycle. Last time i had one was around 10 years back. It was a Hero Ranger . Not sure how much Cycles cost these days and what all (if any) features that i should look for

I will be using this daily to commute to and from office .Total Distance will be around 12 kms. (3 kms to office. Will be taking 2 trips daily)
Around 95% of the route has a road, rest being a stony unlevelled path.

I did a search on Hero Cycles Ltd. but couldnt decide on any. If any of you have an advice on which model to choose/ features etc, please pass on.
max budget is 5k
Thanks in advance
Old 19th April 2009, 11:30   #323
Senior - BHPian

5K for a cycle? Do these cost as much? Maybe I'm living in a bygone era. While schooling, I got a new Atlas 24" cycle after passing 8th class in 1974. It costed Rs.300 and came fitted with a front basket, bell, rear wheel lock and a small headlamp with a dynamo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
max budget is 5k
Thanks in advance
Old 19th April 2009, 11:41   #324
Senior - BHPian

boss. viper cycles cost 15-20k and muuuch more
Old 19th April 2009, 12:46   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
5K for a cycle? Do these cost as much?.
My hero ranger 10 yrs back was approx 2k. i too though it would be around the same. but i heard these days its 4000 to higher.
Old 20th April 2009, 01:31   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
My hero ranger 10 yrs back was approx 2k. i too though it would be around the same. but i heard these days its 4000 to higher.
My ranger swing (shimano--18 speed) was 3.5K, 5 years back. Although the new hero range, something called 0ctane or somethings starts from around 5k and goes to around 6.5k for the full suspension, disc brake variant. But, the suspensions on new Hero bicycles are too soft and are really not of much use.
Old 20th April 2009, 03:07   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
5K for a cycle? Do these cost as much? Maybe I'm living in a bygone era. While schooling, I got a new Atlas 24" cycle after passing 8th class in 1974. It cost Rs.300...
To put things in perspective, a brand-new 1974 Ambassador Mark II would have cost how much? 35K?

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 20th April 2009 at 03:09. Reason: corrected typo
Old 20th April 2009, 07:31   #328
Team-BHP Support

Thinking of buying a bicycle for my 8 year old son, nothing fancy, just something that will last him 4 years. This will be his first 2 wheeled cycle, previous ones had training wheels. I looked at the Hero cycle web site, the choices just confused the hell out of me.

Not looking for anything with gears or special suspensions. What price range and models I should be looking at?

Last edited by Samurai : 20th April 2009 at 07:35.
Old 20th April 2009, 09:57   #329
Senior - BHPian

Samurai

I always felt BSA was better than Hero. They are much lighter in comparision. Here is the link to the website:
https://www.ticyclesindia.com/default.asp.

Also check this forum for some suggestions:
BikesZone - Cycling • Index page

I would suggest take him to a good cycle store and let him ride few cycles. Pick the one which he is comfortable with. Knowing you i am sure you wouldn't miss picking a riding helmet and other safety ear for knees and elbows.
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:08   #330
Senior - BHPian

I just read that Hero Cycles produces 18,500 cycles daily! Ouch! Just pinched myself. Thats a lot!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks