Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:39   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My humble suggestion is to learn basic servicing yourself.
You are absolutely right here. There are certain basic things that all of us can do to keep our rides in good stead. They are simple tasks that demand just a whole lot of patience and a little mechanical empathy. I have both and hence will surely follow your suggestion.

However, the part that is worrying me is this:

Quote:
The Servicing items, where you do NEED support from professionals are:
- Hubs
- Bottom Bracket
- Pedals (Mainly because you won't have the correct tools)
- Rims (Again tools)
- Dismantling the FD/RD for thorough cleaning and lubrication (Rarely required)
Don't want the cycle shop wallahs to mess them up. Specially problematic is their attitude towards our cycles - not purchased from them and hence not treated well .

I am confident of sourcing the spares from Decathlon, so may as well put together a serious bicycle specific toolkit .
Old 24th March 2017, 09:57   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
For regular use I would not like to be without my 24-speed bicycle though.
Enjoy your bicycle, looks very neat!

Jeroen
Thank you! Single speed obviously take more effort but surprisingly I am going faster on this than my 27 gear MTB. The climbing on the single speed is a different story altogether. You have to plan well in advance for a steep climb. All in all, I am more than happy with this bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
Looks really cool! How much did it cost you?

Thanks
Thank you! I got this for 12K.
Old 24th March 2017, 18:59   #3348
BHPian

Hi,

I need advice on a good budget GPS activity tracker. Currently, I use my Garmin Forerunner 210 wristwatch to track activities but somehow I am unable to figure out how to correctly measure the calories burned. The reading seems very high. e.g. for 3-4 hours cycling it shows 4.5-6k calories burned. Is this correct?

Also, could anyone please help with good cycling routes around Pune (Hinjewadi) ?. The routes I have done so far are mostly Lonavala, Shindewadi, Lavasa. I am fine with round trips of ~90-100kms.

Thanks and happy cycling
Old 24th March 2017, 19:11   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Hi,

I need advice on a good budget GPS activity tracker.
I use RideWithGPS app on my iphone. For longer rides i plug the phone into a portable charger.
Old 25th March 2017, 09:09   #3350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Hi,

I need advice on a good budget GPS activity tracker. Currently, I use my Garmin Forerunner 210 wristwatch to track activities but somehow I am unable to figure out how to correctly measure the calories burned. The reading seems very high. e.g. for 3-4 hours cycling it shows 4.5-6k calories burned. Is this correct?
I have been using Strava for both ride and run. It's accurate for all practical purposes. You also get to interact with other riders and runners.
6k Cal for a 4 hour ride is definitely high. I get about 5.5k Cal for a ten hour brevet ride. May be your weight settings are incorrect. Or the app is set for run rather than ride. 5k Cal for a full marathon is fair estimate.
Old 25th March 2017, 23:23   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I use RideWithGPS app on my iphone. For longer rides i plug the phone into a portable charger.
Thanks amitoj. Unfortunately, I do not have an iPhone. I will install this on my wife's iPhone and give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
I have been using Strava for both ride and run. It's accurate for all practical purposes.

6k Cal for a 4 hour ride is definitely high.
... 5k Cal for a full marathon is fair estimate.
Thanks Raj. Exactly as I suspected. I will tinker around with the settings now.
Old 26th March 2017, 15:18   #3352
BHPian

Today while fishing for add-ons to the bicycle, I got to land up on this extra suspension fixture. Do anyone have any idea on the pros and cons of functionality of these type of things.

Here's the link to it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r?ref=category

Disclaimer: I do not have any commercial interests on any of the things asked in my query. This is just for personal use.
Old 30th March 2017, 13:37   #3353
BHPian

Hi all, so I have been using my Roadeo A-300 for three years now. Commuting to school, tuition classes, playground, and also some off road trail fun with a few like minded friends, it has seen it all. Other than a very few significant problems which keep coming back, the bike has served me quite okay. Since some months though, there have been a wide range of problems. I have been fixing them temporarily somehow myself and keep riding it. But its just not possible anymore to do so. Here's a list of the problem:

1. Front disc brake caliper, which was replaced a year ago, doesn't seem to stay in shape at all and goes haywire in less than a week after it has been opened up and carefully repaired. Right now, there's no front brake and its quite dangerous to ride that way, I wish I could have reverted back to the original Zoom calipers, but that has a busted spring joint(don't have any idea what it's called) and no one seems to be able to repair or replace that. The one that is fitted now is unbranded.

2. Time for tyre replacement. Rear tyre has no treads left anymore. Drains pressure very fast too.

3. Squeaking noise from rear suspension. Front suspension almost unresponsive even after changing the hydraulic oil.

4. Saddle seems to get loose very often.

5. Rusts in some of the places

I don't really know what to do now. This plays an integral part as it is my daily ride around town. I had absolutely no plans of buying a new bicycle now. Suggestions welcome!

Neel

EDIT: Someone I know from school is selling his 2015 June Montra Rock 1.0 for 7k. The original Shimano derailleur needs some work to be done or better if its replaced. Shifters have been changed to ones by Suncross. I know he took good care of it and didnt ride it much and the red and black frame is intact without a lot of scratches. Good deal?
The Bicycles thread-17622171_1253500021437587_257151673_o.jpg

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 30th March 2017 at 14:04.
Old 30th March 2017, 21:09   #3354
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used or know feedback about the TATA Stryder bikes. I saw one at Start Bazaar with 18 speed Shimano gears, dual shocks for INR 6500. Are they good for thrice a week office commute of 12 (6+6) km ?

Else what is the best one to buy within 10k. The lesser the better.
Old 31st March 2017, 20:32   #3355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
  • Cleaning - FD, RD, Brakes, Cables, Chain, Levers, Frame
  • Lubrication - FD, RD, Chain, Cables
  • Brakes - Replacing Pads, Setting, Tightening/Loosening
  • FD/RD Adjustments - Two adjustment nuts on both usually, that can be used to set the gear shift thresholds
  • Accessories - Installing Meters, Lights, Bags, Panniers etc.
  • Bike Fit - Saddle Height, Saddle position, Stem Position (Shorten/Lengthen), Handlebar angle etc.
1. Would you please list the products that you use for
  • Chain and cables cleaning
  • Lubrication of the above two.

2. I weigh around 75kg. The tyre size is 26x1.75. The bicycle itself weighs around 15 kg. What will the ideal tyre pressure be for rides on pockmarked but decently metalled roads?

3. What should be the general service interval? My daily ride is around 7km.

4. Anything that I can do daily to keep the bicycle in good stead?
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:54   #3356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
1. Would you please list the products that you use for
As a layman who uses bicycle for commutes and general fitness, this is what works for me

Chain cleaning - I use an old tooth brush and IPA or Kerosene or Petrol. Don't go over board with these; Use as little as possible. All you should need is a couple of tea spoons

Chain Lubrication - I use cheap sewing machine oil. Then do a test ride for 2-3 mins and wipe off the chain with a clean dry cloth.

Tire pressure - Check the tire side wall. It will tell you the max pressure the tire supports. Try to inflate at the max pressure and experience the ride quality. If its too harsh, reduce by 1-2 PSI and try again.
Keep the pressure as high as possible without compromising your comfort. But remember that Higher the pressure, lesser the chance of punctures.
I ride a hybrid bike with 35x700c tires and keep tire pressure around 85-90 psi. I am OK with a harsher ride with an ability to ride fast on good roads.

General maintenance - Just keep the bicycle clean, make sure to wipe down the frame once a fortnight with a wet microfibre cloth.
Everytime I want to go on a ride. I just check the brakes, ensure the spokes are fine. Its a good practice to just lift the bike 2 inches and let it fall on its wheels a couple of times. If anything is loose you will realize it before you start riding.

There are specialized cleaning tools/solutions for each of these items depends on how much moolah you are willing to spend

Last edited by freedom : 3rd April 2017 at 15:59.
Old 10th April 2017, 11:53   #3357
BHPian

My office commute is 1.5 kms hence thinking of buying a cycle. Any recommendations?

Budget - need a decent cycle without gears or any bells and whistles.

I weigh around 90kg and height 6'3. Need a cycle that does not look puny next to me.

Last edited by heydj : 10th April 2017 at 12:02.
Old 10th April 2017, 12:29   #3358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
My office commute is 1.5 kms hence thinking of buying a cycle. Any recommendations?

Budget - need a decent cycle without gears or any bells and whistles.

I weigh around 90kg and height 6'3. Need a cycle that does not look puny next to me.
Decathlon sells a Btwin branded bike named Mybike. It should be about around 8-10 K. Its a no frills bike which will suit your needs. Go an take a test ride.

For your use, don't fall for those cheap suspension bikes with disc brakes etc.
Old 10th April 2017, 12:33   #3359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Decathlon sells a Btwin branded bike named Mybike. It should be about around 8-10 K. Its a no frills bike which will suit your needs. Go an take a test ride.

For your use, don't fall for those cheap suspension bikes with disc brakes etc.
Current price is Rs.4499/-

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8304742_m...57-m_1m65_1m75

Do you know if this is available in any other cycle shops in Pune city? Wagholi Decathlon is too far for me, and I am a bit wary of buying such stuff online.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th April 2017 at 12:35.
Old 10th April 2017, 12:40   #3360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Current price is Rs.4499/- Do you know if this is available in any other cycle shops in Pune? Decathlon is too far for me, and I am a bit wary of buying such stuff online.

Cheers,
Vikram
I haven't seen Btwin bikes in any other shops other than Decathlon.
Check shops in Budhwar Peth. But, don't fall for cheap bikes with "features". They will be a pain to maintain and you will lose interest in cycling.

Take some time out and do visit Decathlon, you will get to take a test ride and decide on which frame size fits you. You will also have a choice of other bikes to look at (in case you want to up the budget).
Don't buy bikes online. Every new bikes needs a bit of tuning, and buying in person make a lot of sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks