Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 11:27   #3376
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

A question for fellow riders. Has anyone tried switching the tires on an MTB to road tires? I have a MyBike 7s, which is a couple of years old. My riding has increased significantly this year with rides of 70KM to 100KM almost every weekend. I am considering going in for a hybrid, but would like to know if a tire change can help save some money. Also, whether its worth doing it in the long run.
Old 21st April 2017, 12:29   #3377
BHPian

The 7s has 26 inch wheel I think so road bike tires are out of the question, but you can go in for slick tires like 26*1.5 or even lower, which I have seen is 26*1.25. But that again depends on whether the rim can take it. There will be difference but at the end of the day hybrid will be better has it has a bigger wheel.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 19:52. Reason: Post fixed. Spacing.
Old 21st April 2017, 20:02   #3378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
A question for fellow riders. Has anyone tried switching the tires on an MTB to road tires? I have a MyBike 7s, which is a couple of years old. My riding has increased significantly this year with rides of 70KM to 100KM almost every weekend. I am considering going in for a hybrid, but would like to know if a tire change can help save some money. Also, whether its worth doing it in the long run.
You can't switch to 700c tires; the rims won't match.

But there are good premium slick tires for MTBs which make a lot of difference. I did that on my rockrider a few years back; I had moved to Maxxis Detonator slick tires. Definitely made some difference.

Edit: If your individual ride distances are in 70KM+ range, it might make sense to invest in a good road bike (or a hybrid atleast)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st April 2017 at 20:27.
Old 23rd April 2017, 17:32   #3379
Senior - BHPian

I somehow managed to survive and complete the 200K
https://www.strava.com/activities/953666745

Phew.Split into three legs, the first leg of 41 miles had an elevation of 3200 feet, making it the toughest one, but I was doing surprisingly well till then. End of second leg, which was supposed to be easiest, had some wicked climbs towards the end that knocked the wind out. The last leg was the hardest though just because of the fact that i had been riding for 6 hours already.

By the way, I tried to keep my heart rate in the endurance zone but it is just not possible to do that when you are climbing nearly a 1000 ft in 4 miles.

I had picked up a handful of GU energy gels and they were superb in keeping me going. I am going to order a box full of them from Amazon. Much better than just raw nuts etc.

Thanks to everyone for your tips and supporting words of encouragement.

EDIT: According to my fitbit, I was in the fatburn zone for 321 minutes, cardio for 183 minutes and peak for 28 minutes. I think fatburn zone is the endurance zone?

Last edited by amitoj : 23rd April 2017 at 17:35.
Old 24th April 2017, 16:54   #3380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Great performance amitoj.
Someday, I will too.

By the way, does anyone have any reviews for Montra Downtown 2017?

https://montra.in/hybrid-bike/montra...wn-2017/#specs

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st March 2019 at 09:39. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 24th April 2017, 17:21   #3381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations on your maiden BRM, that too with this high an elevation gain.

Yes. Fat burn zone is endurance zone and I think you did very well in maintaining the zone. Going into Z3 and Z4 is unavoidable for steep gradients. Also, as you build your cycling power, for the same heart rate, you will ride faster and hill climbs will become easy.

Wishing you many more successful BRMs in the future!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st March 2019 at 09:39. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 24th April 2017, 22:12   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Randonneur. Nothing else matters.
Now go on and register for that 300 BRM. You still got half a year to make it Super.👍
Old 24th April 2017, 23:30   #3383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Great performance amitoj.
Someday, I will too.
Thanks! I'm sure you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on your maiden BRM, that too with this high an elevation gain.

Yes. Fat burn zone is endurance zone and I think you did very well in maintaining the zone. Going into Z3 and Z4 is unavoidable for steep gradients. Also, as you build your cycling power, for the same heart rate, you will ride faster and hill climbs will become easy.

Wishing you many more successful BRMs in the future!
Thanks! Next one is in two weeks from now.
Vermont 200K

It is supposed to be slightly less challenging than the Boston 200K. And looking at the cue sheets, there are control points roughly every 20 miles which should make this more enjoyable.

Will be keeping an eye on the weather forecast for May 6th, before I register. I think I need a break from long rides in cold damp weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Congratulations Randonneur. Nothing else matters.
Now go on and register for that 300 BRM. You still got half a year to make it Super.👍
Thanks! Super Randonneur would be nice but I still have some ways to go before I can start to dream about it. Definitely not happening this year. My goal for this year was to do at least one century ride. Will see how rest of the year goes!
Old 28th April 2017, 18:45   #3384
BHPian

200 km is a very nice distance. I have tried randonneuring but 300 km rides tend to get pretty boring. I like riding hard, and 300 becomes a little too exhausting. Even on a 200, I have had to stop and eat since I have not carried proper food.

Still, the distance can be completed before evening (if one starts early enough) and that to me, is very nice. But the best thing is you can ride to your heart's content.

Good to see some long distance riders here, and good ride Amitoj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
This old Royal Enfield Fire Fly was lying with my sister for a while in Yercaud. It came with some property she bought long time back.
I got this restored at Probikers last week. Except chain and spokes all are original parts.Attachment 1593432
Attachment 1593433
Attachment 1593434[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 1593438[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Would be keen to find out more about this bicycle. How old is this bicycle? Is it from the 60's or earlier? Is that the original paint scheme?

Do please share more information.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th April 2017 at 18:56. Reason: merging back to back posts
Old 28th April 2017, 18:56   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
...Already covered 100 KMs on it and it is just a dream to ride. I have been riding a mountain bike for the past 2 years and this came as a welcome change.
Thankfully it has two brakes. Do you ride it fixed or single speed? I see you have platform pedals. So I am guessing single speed? Do try riding fixed. But for that getting some kind of foot retention is a good idea. And at first please practice somewhere you will not need to stop suddenly. But once you get accustomed, it can be quite addictive.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st March 2019 at 09:38. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 9th May 2017, 15:41   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Thankfully it has two brakes. Do you ride it fixed or single speed? I see you have platform pedals. So I am guessing single speed? Do try riding fixed. But for that getting some kind of foot retention is a good idea. And at first please practice somewhere you will not need to stop suddenly. But once you get accustomed, it can be quite addictive.
Right now I am riding single speed. Since I go for rides mostly during the night, I have not tried out fixed gear yet. But I will be moving to Delhi NCR soon and there is a lot of free space to try out the fixed gear setup. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 19th May 2017, 20:24   #3387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Next one is in two weeks from now.
Vermont 200K

It is supposed to be slightly less challenging than the Boston 200K. And looking at the cue sheets, there are control points roughly every 20 miles which should make this more enjoyable.
So, this was a fun ride! Got to taste some really nice fresh brakery products all along the 200K

There is another 200K tomorrow but I am going to skip it. I have started commuting to work on bike this week and I really need the weekend to rest and recover.

Any other bike commuters here?
Old 25th May 2017, 00:09   #3388
BHPian

A question to regular users of BikesZone, has the forum moved to some other domain ?
Old 25th May 2017, 08:17   #3389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
A question to regular users of BikesZone, has the forum moved to some other domain ?
It went off sometime last year (?) and has not come online since. Here are some archives:
https://archive.is/www.bikeszone.com

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2017 at 08:18.
Old 31st May 2017, 17:08   #3390
Senior - BHPian

BikesZone was a decent community, although kinda inactive of late but still, the only decent, and worth mentioning Indian cycling community worth its salt.

@ phamilyman (on T-BHP) was a moderator on BikesZone. If anything, I guess he will be able to clarify on the situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks