Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 20:33   #331
BHPian

The 6th edition of Critical Mass - Bangalore chapter is happening this Saturday. Request all cycling enthusiasts to participate. Critical Mass is a monthly mass cycle ride, to promote cycling as a fun and healthy alternative to driving. The ride happens in over 300 cities worldwide. It is a great way to get back to cycling, know fellow cyclists and celebrate cycle riding, assert our right as a cyclist, promote pollution-free transportation and to simply have fun riding on the roads in a big group.

For more information check out this link http://criticalmass bangalore. blogspot. com/
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-6th-critical-mass-generic-final_cycle_poster_page_1.jpg  

Old 24th April 2009, 21:07   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I finally got myself a bike , a Hercules ACT 104, and I use it for morning rides for fitness. Its a 'full suspension' bike with shocks in the front and back. It's got an 18 speed Shimano gear system. I do around 10-15kms and it feels amazing ! Did not want to go for an expensive bike. Thought I would ride this for a while and see how things go. Frankly, the bike is awesome and totally worth the price. It costs around 8k in blr. Some pics:
Does it have aluminum frame? Which ones MTBs are offering Al frames?
Old 25th April 2009, 07:23   #333
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a 1971 Peugeot U08 from someone on Craigslist.

The Bicycles thread-3470714216_60251e1821.jpg

The Bicycles thread-3470712358_08cee5c244.jpg

The Bicycles thread-3470703178_c17407cac2.jpg

The Bicycles thread-3469895885_99961153aa.jpg

The Bicycles thread-3470708640_2772b0034a.jpg

The Bicycles thread-3470706204_42efaebe26.jpg
Old 25th April 2009, 12:35   #334
BHPian

Is there a bike small enough that I can shove it into my cars boot, but comfortable enough that I can ride it without having to crouch? I am 5'9" and have been thinking of buying a new bike for last few months. But my biggest hesitation is, not having proper place to park the bike either at home or near office. I live on the third floor of an apartment that does not have lift, and no place to leave the cycle dowstairs without the fear of it being stolen. I dont want to spend 8-10K on a bike only to lose it in first month. Also carrying it up and down everyday will make me lose the interest in riding the bike pretty soon.
Is there a bike that can be assembled/disassembled in matter of minutes?
I know the question is a bit offbeat, but I am serious about this.

Earlier I had a WagonR, and I could easily load my mountain bike in it after dropping the rear seats. I would like to have the same convinience with my Cedia.

Regards,
Sandeep

Last edited by sbelekar : 25th April 2009 at 12:36. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 25th April 2009, 13:54   #335
BANNED

Got one for my soon to be 3 year old for 1 K. Chinese make. The extra discount is probably because I bargained, and I am a known babu at the shop.

The shop next door (to the one I purchased from) quoted 1.4K for a BSA one, looking identical. Did not go for the branded one, because the wheels and pedals were tight, even on multiple models on display. This one has "tubeless" tyres - looks like foam filled tyres. And plastic wheels. I am not sure if this bike will last till the 5 month old grows up. ;-) Would have preferred one with the traditional wire-spoke metal rims, since they will have ball bearings in the hubs, and therefore smoother.

What I got - https://www.ticyclesindia.com/Produc...es.asp?pid=134 (I actually got a chinese, non-branded one - link is just for info).

For kids, what counts is wheel diameter. I got one with 14 inch, but the recommended size was 12 inches. (See BIKE SIZING ADVICE WhyCycle? - The impartial cycling advice site )

The BSA shop stocked an electric scooter too - probably Chinese make, and they quoted 35 or 38K for it.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:48   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Wow! That is a beauty. That is my kind of a bicycle. Nice old world steel with lugs. Though I don't like the saddle much. Also, the brake levers are set too far down. This will force you to ride in the drops all the time. If you move the levers up about 2 inches, you will be able to ride comfortably on the brake-hoods.

Nice bike by the way.
Old 8th May 2009, 03:43   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Wow! That is a beauty. That is my kind of a bicycle. Nice old world steel with lugs. Though I don't like the saddle much. Also, the brake levers are set too far down. This will force you to ride in the drops all the time. If you move the levers up about 2 inches, you will be able to ride comfortably on the brake-hoods.

Nice bike by the way.
Thanks. The bicycle was set up like this originally. My tuner said that the old bicycles were set up like this. Usually a straight line drawn from the bottom of the handlebar should intersect the bottom of the brake lever. I might change it when I replace the handlebar tape. I'm deciding between brown leather and white. The bicycle had white cable housing before my tuner replaced it with black housing while replacing all the cabling.

I got the current saddle from wallmart but find it more comfortable than the one that came with the bicycle. I'v been wanting to get a nice vintage Brooks but they're too expensive.

The bicycle has needed quite a bit of maintenance so far and I have already been through two rear derailleurs (including a Suntour) Both were used so I guess I can't really blame the bicycle. Iv also had to change the entire cabling and adjust the brakes a bit.

Using her on a daily basis is also a little difficult as I want to be really careful with the original decals and paint. Replacement decals are pretty expensive and I don't want to go through the headache of the whole process again. A Peugeot logo on the top tube and one on the forks have already been scratched off.

BTW I had my first fall yesterday. It had just rained and the road was really slippery. I was being foolish and didn't have my helmet or gloves on. A few bruises here and there but thankfully nothing too serious. The handlebar got twisted but I was able to force it back in place.The handle has developed some play though. Does anyone know how to fix this? or do I have to call my tuner again?
Old 9th May 2009, 12:18   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelekar View Post
Is there a bike small enough that I can shove it into my cars boot, but comfortable enough that I can ride it without having to crouch? I am 5'9" and have been thinking of buying a new bike for last few months. But my biggest hesitation is, not having proper place to park the bike either at home or near office. I live on the third floor of an apartment that does not have lift, and no place to leave the cycle dowstairs without the fear of it being stolen. I dont want to spend 8-10K on a bike only to lose it in first month. Also carrying it up and down everyday will make me lose the interest in riding the bike pretty soon.

Earlier I had a WagonR, and I could easily load my mountain bike in it after dropping the rear seats. I would like to have the same convinience with my Cedia.

Regards,
Sandeep
Sandeep, There are foldable bikes available and it takes about 60 secs to fold or unfold. Strida is one such brand that is available in Bangalore but unfortunately these bikes don’t come cheap, they are upwards of 20k.

Let me know if you need more details
Old 9th May 2009, 14:30   #339
BANNED

Tuners for bicycles??

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The handlebar got twisted but I was able to force it back in place.
If this is supposed mean "front wheel not in alignment with handlebar", standing with the wheels between your legs to hold the wheel in place and adjusting the handle would help. I used to have a BSA "slr", which had a handlebar lock. I would simply lock the handlebar and do this "alignment" myself.

Quote:
The handle has developed some play though. Does anyone know how to fix this? or do I have to call my tuner again?
Tightening the "nut" just above the front frame may help.
Old 10th May 2009, 20:06   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Sandeep, There are foldable bikes available and it takes about 60 secs to fold or unfold. Strida is one such brand that is available in Bangalore but unfortunately these bikes don’t come cheap, they are upwards of 20k.

Let me know if you need more details
Nemo,

Thanks for sharing the info. I checked-out some video's of Strida on youtube, and the bike looks pretty interesting. Can you please tell me where in Bangalore can I go and see this bike for myself?

- Sandeep
Old 11th May 2009, 00:11   #341
BHPian

sandeep, it's available in Firefox bike station in Jayanagar - around the 4th block shopping complex area. Pm me if you need the exact location
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:08   #342
BHPian

Indian Bicycles

Imported bicycles are damn expensive

Any Bicycles from the Indian Manufacturers like Avon,Hero,Atlas,Hercules:

Basic Features needed

Aluminum Frame
Front & Rear Shox
Shimano 8 gears

What is the price
Maintenance
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:26   #343
BHPian

Which are the bikes which I can consider for about 5K or less than that, it should be durable, & with gears. The usage would not be limited to fun only, it would sometimes be taken offtrack. I just had a friend of mine who bought a hercules with Shimano gears it was around INR 5500 in blore, however didn't like it much when I rode...Pls throw in somelight
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:47   #344
BHPian

Wish our govt builds beautiful sidewalks like these they have in Africa

DSC_4702.JPG photo - Avshi Goldberg photos at pbase.com

Old 1st June 2009, 18:41   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelekar View Post

Regards,
Sandeep
Saw this in a shop the other day. It's made in India too...
https://www.ticyclesindia.com/Produc...es.asp?pid=186

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks