Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2018, 16:42   #3646
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I have ridden it only 30 mins at one go. Also I have put the gel seat, so can't tell about the stock seat softness. However the comfort depends more on your natural assets than seat's parameters.
Old 15th June 2018, 16:55   #3647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
By the way, is the seat comfortable enough for continuous 1-2hrs rides? How long have you been using it? Too many questions - sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have ridden it only 30 mins at one go. Also I have put the gel seat, so can't tell about the stock seat softness. However the comfort depends more on your natural assets than seat's parameters.
A soft seat does not translate to comfort on long rides. Actually, it could cause injury.

When cycling, you want the sit bones on your butt to be firmly resting on the seat without any flex or movement in the hip bones. This will result in some pain for the first couple of rides, but then the pain will not be there even if you ride 5+ hours.

With soft gel seats, you will not have a firm seating position. Because of this there will be lot of flex and movement on your hip bones which can cause injury when you are on the saddle for long duration.

So, avoid gel seats and stick to the original hard seat! Instead get a good quality padded cycling shorts.

PS: My comment is with respect to long rides. If you are a casual rider who does very short rides, then Gel seats should not be much of a problem.

Last edited by graaja : 15th June 2018 at 17:02.
Old 15th June 2018, 19:12   #3648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

So, avoid gel seats and stick to the original hard seat! Instead get a good quality padded cycling shorts.
+1 to that. Specially the ones that have a groove down the center. It is supposed to prevent your nerves from being pressed. But what I don't understand is that if that's the case, then why do the Brooks leather saddles have such a dedicated fan base in long distance biking?
Old 15th June 2018, 19:32   #3649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But what I don't understand is that if that's the case, then why do the Brooks leather saddles have such a dedicated fan base in long distance biking?
I just checked the Brooks range of saddles. Most of them are hard leather. The ones which are made of rubber have a thin layer of rubber which should be a lot firm than the regular gel seats that will deform over time.
Old 15th June 2018, 20:22   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked the Brooks range of saddles. Most of them are hard leather. The ones which are made of rubber have a thin layer of rubber which should be a lot firm than the regular gel seats that will deform over time.
It's the leather ones that are the most popular, specially their B17 model. It seems they have a break in period of 200 miles at least, during which riders experience extreme pain and question their sanity multiple times. But once they are broken in, riders swear by them. They changes bikes but keep the saddle.
Old 18th June 2018, 11:51   #3651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My present road bike (and the previous one as well) is a Scott.

@graaja, thank you for all the advice. I have done @475km on the Metrix 10 and this includes 3 hill rides around Pune which involve some steep ghats (6 to 8% grade). The low gears available on Metrix have been helpful. A couple of friends who ride road bikes (B twin Triban 540's) - they struggle going up the inclines while I can be a bit faster uphill on the Metrix. Of course, not sure if all or any of us are in the optimal gears, and both of them are heavier than me so I have an advantage (even though Metrix is heavier than Trban 540). However, on descents, they go much faster. I am generally prudent and don't pedal hard on downhills as I am afraid of any mid-corner bump or a dog can throw me off. However, it's also possibly due to the geometry - Metrix is much more upright than Triban and getting down on the drops may be helping them feel more confident. So while I am hooked to GCN and youtube to learn how to corner (inner knee out, outer leg pressed down on the pedal, etc.) and go fast on descents, I am thinking, it will need a proper road bike with drops. So now, the big question - which one?

So which exact road bike model(s) you ride? What are the advatnages/disadvantages of each? Which is the cheapest carbon road bike available in India? I would like to have hydraulic disc brakes on my road bike as well.

Thanks again for all the good advice!
Old 18th June 2018, 13:17   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So now, the big question - which one?
It's been only one month since you bought your current bicycle and you already are thinking of buying a new one!

Well, no first hand experience, but I think road bikes with carbon forks would be upwards of 60k. Raaja and other roadies can confirm.
Old 18th June 2018, 13:35   #3653
BHPian

How do you guys track the calories burnt, speed, time and distance when riding? Is it through an app in phone or a specific device? Pls suggest.
Old 18th June 2018, 13:40   #3654
BHPian

Quote:
How do you guys track the calories burnt, speed, time and distance when riding? Is it through an app in phone or a specific device? Pls suggest.
You can use Strava to track your activities as well as your friends' activities. I have been using it since 1 year and it works perfectly for tracking all the parameters related to your activity.
Old 18th June 2018, 13:47   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
You can use Strava to track your activities as well as your friends' activities. I have been using it since 1 year and it works perfectly for tracking all the parameters related to your activity.

Really? But it seems to be a premium service and looked like there is nothing I could use for it for free? It asked for a 30-day trial.
Again, all those parameters mentioned above can be done through strava?
Old 18th June 2018, 13:47   #3656
BHPian

Quote:

So which exact road bike model(s) you ride? What are the advatnages/disadvantages of each? Which is the cheapest carbon road bike available in India? I would like to have hydraulic disc brakes on my road bike as well.
Carbon forks
You don't need them. It has been said many times but let me repeat it anyways "The limits of a decent machine is way beyond the limits of the rider."
Carbon forks are meant for athletes completing in race/professional events. You and me don't need them. It will be way cheaper to lose body weight than save a few grams by using Carbon forks.
Another problem with carbon is that it will shatter and usually there are no warning signs unless you are doing a scan using special tools (UV etc).

Modulation/feel of well tuned hydraulic brakes is just unbeatable. But it needs maintenance, love and care etc. If you can spend enough time on your bike by all means go for a hydraulic setup.

Coming down mountains and taking corners is not my idea of fun. Not on a public road with gravel and all kinds of random things on it. I don't find it safe.

Don't focus on what is the cheapest bike with all the things you want. Try out various brands and frame sizes. Pick the one that rides well and has the features you need.
For a good road bike have a budget of 60K.

Another thing you can try is to fit drop bars to your Metrix and see if that helps you get into a better posture going down hill and makes the bike much more agile.

I use my cycle (Merida speeder 100) for commutes and exercise so I very much prefer a road bike style frame with a flat handle bar (these are generally referred to as Road hybrids). I have also up-sized the tires to 35x700c make the commute comfortable. If you carry a bag on you back while commuting/rides then road bike like drop bars will not be comfortable.
Old 18th June 2018, 13:50   #3657
BHPian

Quote:
Really? But it seems to be a premium service and looked like there is nothing I could use for it for free? It asked for a 30-day trial.
I have been using only the free subscription, not even opted for the 30 days trial of the premium version. The free version helps with calories, distance, average speed, maximum speed, map of your ride. I think these are the parameters you wish to track and for this you do not need to pay anything.
Old 18th June 2018, 13:51   #3658
BHPian

Quote:
I use Fitbit charge 2 and it connect to the fitbit app on the phone.
I have also configured a Fitbit exporter to upload every ride to Strava.
After completing a ride I get to see all the details on Fitbit and Strava

Quote:
You have to opt in for premium service to get additional features. The standard app and its features are free
Old 18th June 2018, 14:06   #3659
BHPian

The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I have been using only the free subscription, not even opted for the 30 days trial of the premium version. The free version helps with calories, distance, average speed, maximum speed, map of your ride. I think these are the parameters you wish to track and for this you do not need to pay anything.
Great to know. Installing strava again 🤣

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I use Fitbit charge 2 and it connect to the fitbit app on the phone.
I have also configured a Fitbit exporter to upload every ride to Strava.
After completing a ride I get to see all the details on Fitbit and Strava

You have to opt in for premium service to get additional features. The standard app and its features are free
I will try using Fitbit too. Thank you!
Old 18th June 2018, 19:19   #3660
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have done @475km on the Metrix 10 and this includes 3 hill rides around Pune which involve some steep ghats (6 to 8% grade).
So while I am hooked to GCN and Youtube to learn how to corner (inner knee out, outer leg pressed down on the pedal, etc.) and go fast on descents, I am thinking, it will need a proper road bike with drops. So now, the big question - which one?
I had expected you to be bitten by the road bike bug, but did not expect it so soon

I am glad you are enjoying cycling and are able to do the ghats easier than your friends on road bikes. Shows your fitness levels!

Before going to the topic of selecting a carbon bike, I would not recommend any fast descents on our roads. In fact, I usually prefer to do the climbs on a cycle, and then load the cycle on a car and do the descent. But in case this is not practical, I usually restrict my downhill speed to 30kmph by constantly pumping the brakes. With all those four wheelers who overtake on blind curves and loose gravels and potholes on the roads, it is never a good idea to ride fast on descents.

Quote:
To choose a road bike, you have to consider the following aspects:

Frame: You get road bikes with alloy frames, alloy frames with carbon fork, or full carbon frame. A carbon frame road bike has the advantages of being light weight and absorb most of the vibrations from the road. This makes them very compliant on rough roads. The disadvantage of carbon frame is that once you have a crash, they are prone to internal damage and will have to be replaced. Alloy frames on the other hand are more robust and take a lot of beating. The disadvantage is that they transfer all the vibrations of the road directly to your hand and butt.

Geometry: Road bikes come in various geometries - endurance and race. Endurance geometry has a little relaxed (it is still aggressive compared to the upright position of a hybrid) posture and is suitable if you are planning long distance events. Race geometry has the most aggressive position where you bent almost parallel to the ground. These are mostly used for races and time trial events. Every manufacturer will have models in both endurance and race geometry. You need to choose the model based on which geometry you prefer. I always have preferred endurance geometry in my road bikes.

Components: Once you choose the frame type (alloy or carbon), and geometry, you will be able to short list the series you need - for example, Scott Speedster, Scott Solace, Merida Reacto, Fuji Sportif etc. Each series will have variants with different levels of components (or groupsets), like Shimano Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace etc. You choose the best of the variant based on your budget.

Regarding cost, I think the basic Carbon bike would cost you around 1.5 Lakhs and a bike with good components would cost about 2 Lakhs to 2.5 Lakhs. A basic alloy frame road bike would cost you 50K to 60K, and an alloy frame bike with good components can go upto 1Lakh. It also depends on how much discounts you can get from the dealer.

Personally, I have always given preference to Scott as I have a Scott dealer with very good support here in Coimbatore. My first road bike was the Scott Speedster 30 which was an alloy frame bike with Tiagra components (cost me 90K) and the present one is the Scott Solace 10 with Ultegra components (cost 2.2 Lakhs after discounts). Depending on the dealers and availability in your place, I would suggest you to check out the models from Scott, Merida, Fuji and Giant. These companies make good bikes.

All the best with the selection.

PS: I would also recommend you to ride the present hybrid bike for a few more months, do longer events like 100K or even a 200K brevet and get a better understanding of your capabilities, and what your goals are in cycling (do you want to do short fast events, or long endurance events) etc., before making a switch to a road bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks