Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2018, 21:33   #3676
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Anand. I hope you didn't sell the hybrid. Perfect to keep alongside to do monsoon duty.
Old 23rd June 2018, 22:18   #3677
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Checked it out and test rode it at Decathlon today, and loved it!

Not very bothered, but some cyclist friends I know are asking me to not go for this stating that the frame geometry isn't that good...
Based on your usage, you need a hybrid bike and for your budget of 12K, the Riverside 120 would fit the bill. I would suggest you go for it.

Good luck with the new bike
Old 24th June 2018, 07:43   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Dear all

I am looking to get back to cycling after a gap of 20 years (I am 36). I need a road bike, focused towards long distance / endurance riding. Main purpose is to regain / maintain fitness. I am 170 cm tall.

Ideally, I would like to get something with a carbon frame and components (for the lower weight, and more importantly, shock absorption). The lower end carbon bikes are at the upper limit of my budget.

Two options are:
(1) Giant Defy Advanced 2, and
(2) Trek Emonda SL5.

Am I looking at the right bikes? I haven't checked any of them in person yet. I think getting a fitting done should be possible, but a test ride may not be.

Any advice from all you experienced riders out here is highly appreciated. I have been considering a bike for a couple of years now, but unable to commit as I am worried I will end up spending too much money on something which wouldn't suit me.

Thanks!!
Old 24th June 2018, 11:00   #3679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Ideally, I would like to get something with a carbon frame and components (for the lower weight, and more importantly, shock absorption). The lower end carbon bikes are at the upper limit of my budget.
You can also add Merida and Specialized to that list. They too have good entry level carbon bikes. Check out the below video.

Between these bikes see which of the bikes have most of the frame made of the same carbon compound used in higher level models, and also which of them offer better components and features like internal routing etc, and go for that.
Old 24th June 2018, 19:41   #3680
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came across this remarkable bicycle. Huge balloon tyres. The little pink kiddie bike is optional

The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1529849470.196813.jpg
Old 24th June 2018, 21:02   #3681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Just came across this remarkable bicycle. Huge balloon tyres. The little pink kiddie bike is optional

Attachment 1774827
That's a Fatbike. Generally popular for areas with snow.
Old 24th June 2018, 22:02   #3682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That's a Fatbike. Generally popular for areas with snow.
Yes, correct, it is an E-bike as well. Not quite sure what it is doing here as we don’t get much snow in the Netherlands and certainly not in June!

https://www.fattebikes.com/sgt-mingo/

Jeroen
Old 24th June 2018, 23:23   #3683
Senior - BHPian

How can I store my bike safely on the outside veranda? Can this be used to secure the bike?
Old 25th June 2018, 08:17   #3684
BHPian

The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Checked it out and test rode it at Decathlon today, and loved it! Thing is fast, especially to someone like me who is used to riding MTBs, light and has something very unique going for it when it comes to the minimalist design. Decathlon quoted me 12k, which is the online price everywhere. I should decide within a day or two.

@petrolhead_chn, thanks a bunch for letting me know about this beauty. This is a pretty big decision for me, so I will think it over once again. Not very bothered, but some cyclist friends I know are asking me to not go for this stating that the frame geometry isn't that good. However, I spent 15 mins riding it quite aggressively today and I felt that it was decent in that department. I am a novice, so suggestions are welcome.

Also, the accessories section at Decathlon is very tempting.

Neel

Hey Neel! Glad you liked it. The bike is absolutely good at this price point and no fatigue whatsoever. Again, you can go for the riverside120 eyes closed. Just ensure to get the correct size. Check if you are comfortable with the default saddle else I recommend you to go for wider saddle. And yeah accessories are a tempting lot. Be wise and get what is really necessary.

Here is my ride with some accessories on it ��

The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1529894833.518163.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th June 2018 at 08:40. Reason: Removing additional emoticon from quoted post
Old 25th June 2018, 19:17   #3685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
You are most welcome man! One thing you want to do is a proper bike fit. If you want to do long rides, a proper bike fit is a must for comfort and to avoid injuries. You could do a fit by following videos online, or if there is a professional bike fitter in your place.
Interesting! Will look for a fitter then. I assume any good service guy will be able to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

Is it because other stores wouldn't let you test ride one while Decathlon would allow a test ride? Did you ride inside the store?

If I am not wrong, Triban had endurance geometry while the Ultra has race geometry. Didn't it bother you?

Did the 85k price is after discount or pre-discount?

Are they going to bring in next Triban 540 again? Any idea? After 5 years on a hybrid, I too am thinking of upgrading. Right now just gathering information on the options and stores.
More of less, yes. Test rides are difficult to come by in smaller stores. I test rode the Btwin Ultra inside Decathlon store. Also, from whatever I looked around, BTwin Ultra 700 AF is the most VFM right now for the given specs (Full Shimano 105). Merida Scultura 300 comes closer but does not have direct mount brakes.

Yes, Ultra has more aggressive geometry than Triban (as per my triban friends, I haven't yet tried their bikes). As per the sales guys, Triban 540 will be replaced with a flat bar road bike/hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Congrats Anand. I hope you didn't sell the hybrid. Perfect to keep alongside to do monsoon duty.
Thanks! Yes, I haven't yet put it up for sale. Thinking of using it for training. Also, Ultra 700 is too aggressive, for now, 10km ride on Ultra is good enough for my comfort, so for longer rides, I will use the Metrix, until I build lower back strength
Old 26th June 2018, 10:38   #3686
BHPian

Specialized Aleez and Roubaix are good. I own a Roubaix SL4 and is by far the most comfortable geometry I've tried. It is defenitely better than a Emonda S5.
Quote:
(2) Trek Emonda SL5.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 23:33. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 26th June 2018, 11:57   #3687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Also, from whatever I looked around, BTwin Ultra 700 AF is the most VFM right now for the given specs (Full Shimano 105). Merida Scultura 300 comes closer but does not have direct mount brakes.
Correction: Scultura 300 comes with Tiagra, not 105, so B twin Ulta 700 AF is truly the VFM. Scultura 400 comes with 105 and that's way more expensive.

Quote:

Two options are:
(2) Trek Emonda SL5.
Also check out BTwin Ultra 900 CF. It's ~1.4 lakh. Great reviews. And from personal experience with Ultra 700 AF, Btwin's are well made bikes and really VFM (if one can say this about carbon frames )

Quote:
You can also add Merida and Specialized to that list. They too have good entry level carbon bikes. Check out the below video.

Between these bikes see which of the bikes have most of the frame made of the same carbon compound used in higher level models, and also which of them offer better components and features like internal routing etc, and go for that.
Interesting video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Specialized Aleez and Roubaix are good. I own a Roubaix SL4 and is by far the most comfortable geometry I've tried. It is defenitely better than a Emonda S5.
Choosemybicycle is running Trek super sale, I see one 2015 Emonda S6 2015 for 1.28 lakh (after discount).
Here: https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...emonda-s6-2015

Checkout Scott Addict series as well. From my experiece with Scott Metrix 10, I can say these are very well built bikes and super comfortable saddle (after getting the BTwin Ultra, I have realised how comfortable Scott saddle is...haha). For MY2018, Scott Addict series is redesigned to be the "carbon frame endurance geometry" range. The racing range is now named as "Addict RC".
EDIT: Scott Addict 20 is priced at 1.35 lakh. carbon frame, endurance geometry, 105 groupset, 7.85kg. the specs are wow and on par with BTWin Ultra 900 CF, and list price itself is cheaper than Btwin! So unless decathlon gives discount on Ultra 900, the 2018 Scott Addict 20 seems the most VFM carbon road bike (of course as @graaja mentioned, there may be differences in the carbon fiber types, and I am not knowledgeable about this, but there are ample reviews on the net that clearly call out all these details so those should help. Also @graaja is our in-house Scott expert, so he can comment on how good Addict 20 is for the list price of 1.35L).

BTW, regarding your point of buying something expensive that you won't use much. In my humble opinion, if you are getting any of these fine machines, you must ride them. Don't idle them!

Last edited by Eddy : 26th June 2018 at 19:20. Reason: Removed video from quotes
Old 26th June 2018, 12:52   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for your responses. Guess I will have to spend a few weekends raiding bike shops before I can come to a conclusion!

Quote:
You can also add Merida and Specialized to that list. They too have good entry level carbon bikes.
Thank you, graaja. After searching a bit, I am a lot more confused after finding several bikes from so many manufacturers in the same price range, and similar specs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Thank you, navin_bhp. Will check them out.

Quote:
Also check out BTwin Ultra 900 CF. It's ~1.4 lakh. Great reviews.

Choosemybicycle is running Trek super sale, I see one 2015 Emonda S6 2015 for 1.28 lakh (after discount).

EDIT: Scott Addict 20 is priced at 1.35 lakh. carbon frame, endurance geometry, 105 groupset, 7.85kg.
Will check the BTwin and Scott Addict range as well. Prices seem to widely vary according to markets. I live in Japan. I am looking for something in the JPY 200,000 range (approx. INR 125,000) +/- 10%.

Quote:
BTW, regarding your point of buying something expensive that you won't use much. In my humble opinion, if you are getting any of these fine machines, you must ride them. Don't idle them!
Yes, this is what I am afraid of as well - that I buy something expensive, and it isn't comfortable for me to ride for long distances!
Old 26th June 2018, 13:29   #3689
BHPian

@graaja, @anandpadhye, a bit technical question. What chainring / sprocket you ride on flats and what sprocket you have to go down to while climbing? If you are aware of the gear teeth numbers of the sprocket, that would be more useful rather than 1x6 or 2x9.
Old 26th June 2018, 13:56   #3690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
@graaja, @anandpadhye, a bit technical question. What chainring / sprocket you ride on flats and what sprocket you have to go down to while climbing? If you are aware of the gear teeth numbers of the sprocket, that would be more useful rather than 1x6 or 2x9.

I have done hill rides primarily on metrix, will do these on Ultra soon, so my current experience is with 48/36/26 in front and 11-32 in the rear. Ultra has 52/36 in front and 11-28 in the rear.

Flats/downhills: The biggest front chainring (48T on Metrix, 52T on Ultra) and smallest rear cog - 11T (until your lungs, quads and calves can sustain)
Uphills: Depending upon the grade and length of the incline.
Steep grade, short distance: I sometimes remain in biggest chainring in the front and smallest to mid-sized rear cog if I can sustain, else shift up to 36T in front and/or to mid size cogs in rear.

Moderate grade, long distance: On Metrix, I keep changing between big (48T) and mid-sized (36T) chainrings in front and also trying middle cogs in the rear. This gives alternate rest to my quads and lungs.

Steep grade, long distance: Mostly I remain in 36T in front but switch to smallest chainring (26T) at times to relax my legs (but this puts strain on heart and lungs), then I go back to 36T for some time. All the while, I try to keep an appropriate rear cog (avoid the last 3 smallest ones).

Sinhagad ghat road climb will be the real test. I will attempt it on Metrix soon. Will try it on the Ultra after the monsoon.

BTW, strangely, decathlon website mentiones Ultra 700 comes with 50/34 in front but my actual bike came with 52/36 - as per the decals, tonight i will actually count the teeth!

Most Viewed