Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Posted a query sometime ago, but didn't get any help. :(
Check out Hero Traveller (INR 9545):
https://herocycles.com/TRAVELLER-700...ed/product/274

Hero Zephyr 7S (INR 11430):
https://herocycles.com/Zephyr-7S/product/250

Specs are very good for the price points.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 23:35. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 29th June 2018, 17:07   #3692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I have done hill rides primarily on metrix, will do these on Ultra soon
Thanks for the detailed explanation Anand! Actually what I was trying to undersand is ratio that I can use for climbs. I am not referring to Sinhagad kind of climbs but steepest ups and downs we have on highways around Pune.

In an ideal scenario, one should buy a bike with 105 minimum, but with limited budget I might have to settle for claris. So I have analyzed my usage pattern and the ratios that I use on my current bicycle.

On steep climbs I have used 28 chain ring x 22 cassette which gives me a ratio of 1.27. On slopes, naturally, I have used 48x14, the smallest cog that my bicycles cassette has. But this is not a big factor in the conclusion that I am arriving at.

Most of the bikes with Claris come with 11-32T or 11-30T cassettes. Due to this the jumps are bigger from one gear to another. If I buy a bike with Claris, I am thinking of buying a new cassette, most probably 13-26T, that has smaller jumps, and install on the bike.

This will give me a lowest ratio of about 1.31, much closer to what I used on Hybrid. Also, with lighter road bike compared to hybrid, I hope this would be sufficient for climbing.

I had finalized Giant Contend 3 but looks like the availability is quite poor. The stores are just giving some random timelines. One of the store even said, 2018 models stock won't be coming now and in 3 months time 2019 models would be launched.
Old 3rd July 2018, 14:46   #3693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I had finalized Giant Contend 3 but looks like the availability is quite poor. The stores are just giving some random timelines. One of the store even said, 2018 models stock won't be coming now and in 3 months time 2019 models would be launched.
Have you checked out the new road bike from Montra "Redeem":
https://montra.in/road-bikes/redeem-2018/
For INR42500, Rear Derailleur: Sora Front Derailleur: Deore.
50/34 in the front, 11-28 in the rear.

BTW, I did Sinhagad on Metrix past Sunday. Made it to the top without touching the feet down even once but it was hard. First 3km I managed in the middle chainring (36T), for most part of the remaining 5, I had shift into the smallest chainring. But I made it!

Ultra 700 does not have the 3rd chainring, it's got only 52/36. Not sure if I would be able to make it to the top on Ultra (it's lighter than Metrix by 3kg, so that will help but not sure if that can fully compensate for the missing low gear). I will try soon and update.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 3rd July 2018 at 14:51.
Old 3rd July 2018, 21:08   #3694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On steep climbs I have used 28 chain ring x 22 cassette which gives me a ratio of 1.27. On slopes, naturally, I have used 48x14, the smallest cog that my bicycles cassette has. But this is not a big factor in the conclusion that I am arriving at.

Most of the bikes with Claris come with 11-32T or 11-30T cassettes. Due to this the jumps are bigger from one gear to another. If I buy a bike with Claris, I am thinking of buying a new cassette, most probably 13-26T, that has smaller jumps, and install on the bike.

This will give me a lowest ratio of about 1.31, much closer to what I used on Hybrid. Also, with lighter road bike compared to hybrid, I hope this would be sufficient for climbing...
Sorry about the delay in reply. Had been traveling most of last week and could not respond.

The actual ratios that would be suitable for you depend on mainly two factors - the grade and your FTP (functional threshold power). If you have a high FTP, you can climb at a higher ratio. But the steeper the climb becomes, you will still need lower ratios.

When I was riding my Scott Speedster, I was weighing around 89kg and was not that fit. The Speedster had a 50/34 crank and 12-30 10 speed cassette, which gave the lowest ratio of 1.13, and highest ratio of 4.16. And in the hill climbs of Kotagiri and Valparai, I used to be on the lowest of the gears and still would long for a lower gear. In flats, I used to be able to ride at the highest ratio.

Now I am 78 kilos and much fitter than earlier, and my Scott Solace has a 50/32 crank and 11-32 11 speed cassette, which gives a lowest ratio of 1 and highest ratio of 4.54. In flats I ride with the highest ratio. But I have not taken the Solace to a hill climb yet. So, I am not sure what ratios I will be using now.

The general thumb rule is if you expect lots of hill climbs, go for the lowest available lowest ratio. If you have a higher power, you can always ride at higher ratios, but if the climb becomes too steep, you will run out of ratios.

In your position, I would sacrifice shift smoothness and go for the lowest available ratio.
Old 3rd July 2018, 22:27   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Are There Any Zwifters on team-bhp

Of late I have started Zwifting on my Elite Qubo (the full name is too complicated for me to remember but if you insist I can find it out again) at home and enjoying it thoroughly in Watopia. I was wondering if any team-bhp member is a Zwifter and whether we can ride together. My screen name is SRoy. Please let me know if you are there. I am sure there are others around.

For those who might not know - Zwift is a $ubscription based computer game kind of thing for your smart trainer (for cycles). Here you choose a cycling route and the software tells your trainer how hard or easy the path is and you choose the gears accordingly. If it is a hard incline you immediately understand. You can see yourself cycling on the computer screen. Believe me - it's hard, fun and closest that comes to real world cycling at home. In certain ways it's a lot tougher than real cycling.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 3rd July 2018 at 22:49.
Old 4th July 2018, 10:06   #3696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

When I was riding my Scott Speedster, I was weighing around 89kg and was not that fit.
Now I am 78 kilos and much fitter than earlier, and my Scott Solace has a 50/32 crank and 11-32 11 speed cassette, which gives a lowest ratio of 1 and highest ratio of 4.54.

From 89 to 78! That's massive!!Also, Solace must be lighter than Speedster so you must try those hills now to see how lighter (and fitter you) on lighter and stiffer bike perform compared to the previous ride on the same route.
Old 4th July 2018, 11:46   #3697
BHPian

Re: Are There Any Zwifters on team-bhp

Have been on Zwift from the time it was free but not that regular find indoor training very boring. My screen name: Y.Shetty.
What time do you train maybe will join you?

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 23:39. Reason: Spacing, typos.
Old 4th July 2018, 22:31   #3698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Have you checked out the new road bike from Montra "Redeem":
That's a TT bike. Right now I think I would want to go for a normal road bike.

Quote:
In your position, I would sacrifice shift smoothness and go for the lowest available ratio.
Thanks for your explanation Raaja! Need some advice on selection. I have more or less finalized on a Giant bike with Claris, mainly because it is a reputed brand and I wanted a black bike (read, non flashy). But now I see there is some sale going on Btwin Triban 540 bike, that has Tiagra groupset. It is on sale at 55k, after discount (list price 69k) now. The only thing that is bothering me is its color Red. Am confused. Shall I check out Triban and buy if size fits or wait for Giant
Old 4th July 2018, 23:19   #3699
Senior - BHPian

The Bicycles thread-img_20180703_075727.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180515_091614.jpg

My brevet bike.

Nice to see this thread active and guys grinding hard!

Cheers, Doc
Old 4th July 2018, 23:22   #3700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shall I check out Triban and buy if size fits or wait for Giant
Just ride both bikes and take the final call. Giant in the end is a mass brand; not a far shift from Btwin.
Old 5th July 2018, 08:53   #3701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My brevet bike.
All the Best Doc.
Glad to see you post on forum again, that too on this thread .
Old 5th July 2018, 09:17   #3702
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have more or less finalized on a Giant bike with Claris, mainly because it is a reputed brand and I wanted a black bike (read, non flashy).
The only thing that is bothering me is its color Red. Am confused. Shall I check out Triban and buy if size fits or wait for Giant
Believe me, the color will be the least of the attraction - you will be. So don't worry about the color and go by the components and comfort

As Ninja said, Giant is also a mass market brand and the Triban would be as good as Giant.

Last edited by graaja : 5th July 2018 at 09:19.
Old 5th July 2018, 09:19   #3703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
All the Best Doc.
Glad to see you post on forum again, that too on this thread .
Thanks bro. How's your cycling going? Same GT?

I have my last shot at the SR on September 29. The BRM 600 (no idea what route they're gonna give - they've already done the relatively flat and easy Kolhapur Curry in January, so ..

Just got back on the saddle after Jan. Got ITB during my 400, but pulled myself through on willpower and plain cussedness. But DNS'd the 600 after that.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. I'm coming back here after a couple of years. Have they removed the Thanks option?

Last edited by ebonho : 5th July 2018 at 09:22.
Old 5th July 2018, 10:28   #3704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have my last shot at the SR on September 29. The BRM 600 (no idea what route they're gonna give - they've already done the relatively flat and easy Kolhapur Curry in January, so ..
I am sure you will complete the SR this time. Good luck and all the very best
Old 5th July 2018, 14:42   #3705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you will complete the SR this time. Good luck and all the very best

Thanks buddy.

Trying to do a few things differently.

Training volume.

Climbing volume.

Saddle height and tilt.

Handlebar position.

Some strength training.

Stretching.

Need to get a foam roller. Also need to get back to my cycling weight of 80 kilos - the last 5 months of inactivity have pushed me back to 90.

Cheers, Doc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks