Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2018, 12:06   #3781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I was compensating for the foot by putting more pressure on the hand.
I can imagine.
I have always been impressed with the ability of body and brain to adapt and compensate for a worn out part by putting additional load on another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
You mean the bike? Yes - it is 2013 / 14 maybe if I recall correctly.

The wheels retail in India for about 75k if I'm not mistaken although I bought them unused off from a friend who did not need them.
OK, thanks. i just looked up for this bike and all reviews are from 2013. It's no more manufactured I think (at least the name "FP Uno" seems discontinued since 2014).

How is the experience with the new wheels?

Cheers!
Old 1st August 2018, 14:03   #3782
Team-BHP Support

@anand. Havent ridden yet. Lol. I have a ride scheduled tom in my schedule. If its not raining Im looking fwd to it being outdoors.
Old 1st August 2018, 14:13   #3783
Distinguished - BHPian

After a month of riding in rains, this was the situation:

The Bicycles thread-before.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-before1.jpeg

Finally, yesterday got around to wash the bike. Thanks to the GCN guys, they warned not to pressure wash, as water can seep into some components like bottom bracket, etc. So just used warm water with some detergent and soft cloth. Wrapped the cloth around a toothbrush to reach to some parts like the bottom bracket, etc. After the wash, as usual, I used petrol as de-greaser to clean the chain, the cassette and front rings. And then the oil to lube these.

Some parts are really hard to reach/clean, like the front derailleur spring, the direct mount rear brakes. Any tips and tricks are welcome!

Here is the result:

The Bicycles thread-after.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-after1.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-after3.jpeg

BTW, here is how I ride - no socks, shoes that don't matter. These are some random Reebok shoes I had to buy as emergency at an outstation marathon when I went there leaving my regular shoes back home! Turned out pretty good. Super light, flexible and no cushion whatsoever water drains real quick. Did day long treks in these in rains, without socks. In fact, this monsoon I have been also running 10Ks and intervals in them, without socks. From what I have gathered - as long as the shoes suit (i.e. they don't bite or scrape or irritate the skin, going sock-less actually helps avoid blisters or soft feet). I will try to run a half marathon in these without socks, to see if "speed+distance" makes any difference.

The Bicycles thread-minimalist.jpeg

Cheers!
Old 1st August 2018, 14:35   #3784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Quoting from the US car thread to bring it on the correct thread

I used to enjoy doing this - I actually traveled over 100 miles to pick up the Cannondale; it was a STEAL! Less than a year old bike; with zero usage (was rusting actually). Brought it home, serviced it myself and used it for about ~4 months before selling it to a local fellow. Purchased the Fixie in Charlotte; brought it over to New York; and found out people were ready to purchase it even for $300 when I put up the ad!
You are my kind.. I got my first road bike last year (cannondale caad8) for $200 and figured I need a bigger size. I put it on craigs for $450. To my surprise it was gone in 4 hours! I used to flip a lot of camera stuff in craigslist for years and knew nothing about bikes until last year. I then flipped over 60 bikes since then. There were times when I parked both cars out of the garage to make room for bikes :-) I now have a full set of bike tools including a bike stand and a bunch of accessories and parts. My most recent buy was a 2017 Specialized Venge vias disc for 1400$ (it was brand new without pedals and seat post uncut!). I have atleast 3 bikes that I'm putting together now and 3 others to list on craigs. It is so much fun and keeps me busy in the weekends!!
Old 2nd August 2018, 14:29   #3785
BHPian

The 35c tires in my Montra Trance Pro had began to show signs of wear after 2000 km. So I went to Track & Trail and checked with them if I could install 28c on my existing rims. The store guy told that its a huge pain and I would have to change the whole wheelset, hubs etc and would cost around 10k .

Then I went to Probikers and they said the rims can easily seat 28c without any problems. So I went ahead and made the change with Vittoria Zaffiros and I can say that the difference is significant. Did a short spin yesterday and my average went up a bit for the same effort that I usually put - https://www.strava.com/activities/1739099945

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180802-12.27.09.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 00:16. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
eyesice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:35   #3786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
The 35c tires in my Montra Trance Pro had began to show signs of wear after 2000 km. So I went to Track & Trail and checked with them if I could install 28c on my existing rims. The store guy told that its a huge pain and I would have to change the whole wheelset, hubs etc and would cost around 10k .

Then I went to Probikers and they said the rims can easily seat 28c without any problems. So I went ahead and made the change with Vittoria Zaffiros and I can say that the difference is significant. Did a short spin yesterday and my average went up a bit for the same effort that I usually put - https://www.strava.com/activities/1739099945
I have the exact same rims at the rear of my ACT. They can take 23s or 25s as well. No problems.

Cheers, Doc
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:43   #3787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
After a month of riding in rains, this was the situation:

!
It took me only one day and 100 kms of riding in the rains to get into a similar stage lol

The Bicycles thread-70c0046b68e849ce99fc27ab61ed0d40.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
You are my kind.. I got my first road bike last year (cannondale caad8) for $200 and figured I need a bigger size. I put it on craigs for $450. To my surprise it was gone in 4 hours! I used to flip a lot of camera stuff in craigslist for years and knew nothing about bikes until last year. I then flipped over 60 bikes since then. There were times when I parked both cars out of the garage to make room for bikes :-) I now have a full set of bike tools including a bike stand and a bunch of accessories and parts. My most recent buy was a 2017 Specialized Venge vias disc for 1400$ (it was brand new without pedals and seat post uncut!). I have atleast 3 bikes that I'm putting together now and 3 others to list on craigs. It is so much fun and keeps me busy in the weekends!!
Wow CAAD for $200 was an amazing deal. No wonder you got $450!

But 60 bikes is too much well if I had a garage I probably would have gone into double figures I guess.
I used to have at least 3-4 Craigslist sites of different cities open on my laptop all the time

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd August 2018 at 19:44.
Old 2nd August 2018, 23:15   #3788
Senior - BHPian

Hello friends, need one advise. In my brother-in-laws office one of his colleagues is shifting to another city and wants to sell his 6 month old Dodge bike. He is saying that he bought it for 11K and now want to sell it at 8K. Would it be a good buy for my B-I-L? He would be mainly using it for his home-office-home, which is 2 km one way and week end rides around 10-12 kms. Bike pics below.

The Bicycles thread-dodge1.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-dodge2.jpeg
Old 2nd August 2018, 23:46   #3789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello friends, need one advise. In my brother-in-laws office one of his colleagues is shifting to another city and wants to sell his 6 month old Dodge bike. He is saying that he bought it for 11K and now want to sell it at 8K. Would it be a good buy for my B-I-L? He would be mainly using it for his home-office-home, which is 2 km one way and week end rides around 10-12 kms. Bike pics below.

Attachment 1786452

Attachment 1786453
5k tops. Provided the bottom bracket, hubs and gears are all good.

Cheers, Doc
Old 3rd August 2018, 08:35   #3790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
5k tops. Provided the bottom bracket, hubs and gears are all good.

Cheers, Doc
Thank you ebonho for your inputs , appreciate it. Will pass it on to my B-I-L.
Old 3rd August 2018, 18:23   #3791
BHPian

My friend was looking out for a used Trek 4300 about (5 yrs old is what he claimed) was asking for 22k , what would be the best price, both tyres are in good condition.
Old 6th August 2018, 10:17   #3792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It took me only one day and 100 kms of riding in the rains to get into a similar stage lol

Looks good.
Mine gets dirty in a single 20km ride in rains, I just don't wash her for a month :-)
Old 6th August 2018, 17:39   #3793
BHPian

How often do you guys clean your chain? Do you just wipe the dirt off with a cloth or everytime do a full degrease and then re-lube the chain?
Old 6th August 2018, 17:56   #3794
Distinguished - BHPian

The Bicycles thread

Quote:
How often do you guys clean your chain? Do you just wipe the dirt off with a cloth or everytime do a full degrease and then re-lube the chain?

Depends a bit on how dirty the chain looks. I have taken to cleaning my bike and chain with some of this special bio degradable stuff. You spray it on and hose your bike down. For the bike its diluted on the chain undiluted.

With it also comes special lubrication oil, it is quite a bit thinner than the various teflon basis oil I used before. So it goes on easily, but water, including rain will wash it off.

With these new cleaning stuff i can properly clean my whole bike and chain in less then twenty minutes.

So occasionally I will run an old rag across the chain, but more often than not, i just do the bike plus the chain and cassette, full hose down and re apply oil. So far so good. My chain lasted almost 5000 km before I had to replace it without replacing the cassette or front sprocket.

But do note, these days I ride in the Netherlands on excellent roads and dedicated bicycle paths, mostly tarmac or at least cobbled. So no dirt or sand tracks, that makes a huge difference.

Jeroen
Old 6th August 2018, 19:58   #3795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do it on alternate weekends. I de-grease using petrol and then re-lube.

Most Viewed