Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 21:37   #3796
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Thanks for the tips. I also try to do it once or twice a month. Sometimes I feel I am unnecessarily cleaning my chain with the degreaser and then relubing it.
Old 7th August 2018, 11:03   #3797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Cheers, Doc
There is a 200 as well on 11th Aug. Then a 300. So should help in your planning. I intend to register for the 200 and next the 300 to prep for the next season.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 00:19. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 7th August 2018, 14:10   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
There is a 200 as well on 11th Aug. Then a 300. So should help in your planning. I intend to register for the 200 and next the 300 to prep for the next season.
Ya it's along the same route as the 400. Only I guess the riders turn around at the Satara CP.

When is the last day to register?

Cheers, Doc
Old 8th August 2018, 14:50   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya it's along the same route as the 400. Only I guess the riders turn around at the Satara CP.

When is the last day to register?

Cheers, Doc
Last date is tom 9th Aug with late fee. Rs. 700 is the BRM fee now.
Old 8th August 2018, 16:10   #3800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amit.

I think for the 200 and 300 I'll ride my own rides. I guess for the 400 also since the 11th 400 is the last one for the Pune season. Or maybe not do a 400 at all.

Cheers, Doc
Old 9th August 2018, 09:37   #3801
Distinguished - BHPian

Ride to office on hybrid

Morning ride to office on my hybrid. 19.6km : 46 min.

Light drizzle, wet roads, newly sprung potholes...so it was a cautious ride with the brilliant hydraulic disc brakes and 38mm well treaded tyres taking everything in their stride enabling avg speed of 25.6kmph.

Climbed the E Square and FC road flyovers at 36kmph in top gear, just for fun

Could have been faster on the Ultra, but Ultra has aggressive geometry, not the best to carry the office bag and tiffin on the back, and lack of hydraulic discs and narrow 25mm tyres increase the risk.

Scott resting in the office parking:

The Bicycles thread-scott_office_9aug.jpg

Last edited by anandpadhye : 9th August 2018 at 09:38.
Old 14th August 2018, 15:27   #3802
BHPian

Which among these is a better option for daily fitness rides and occasional weekend ride(50km), montra helicon disk 2017 or Firefox roadrunner pro v? Picking up used example both for around 12k 2 months used.

How does the components compare?
Fd- tz30 vs tx51
Rd-ty500 vs tx500d
Shifter-ef41 vs ef500

Also how easy will it be to source the helicon tyres in the future?
Old 14th August 2018, 15:59   #3803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Woah. 4 years back it used to be 200Rs

Inflation hits everywhere!
Old 14th August 2018, 18:36   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

That is quite a steep hike in 4 years and not in line with the salary hike

700 was with late fee of 100, else it is 600.

Medal fee is 700
Old 14th August 2018, 20:20   #3805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You bet. Personally, once I get my SR, I don't see the sense in paying this much money to ride further brevets. Unless there are new places, new routes.

I understand the costs involved for the cards and crew and vehicles etc. Just looking at it dispassionately as a rider.

Basically what you are paying for is the homologation.

As Amit said, if you want a medal, you pay extra.

Cheers, Dic
Old 14th August 2018, 21:27   #3806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You bet. Personally, once I get my SR, I don't see the sense in paying this much money to ride further brevets. Unless there are new places, new routes.
Agree.

Also we didn't have the annual registration fees. Things were a lot simpler back then; land up early morning at the starting point, and you could just pay up and do the ride. Medals - you could order later (infact I need to collect a 2014 brevet medal that I paid for but couldn't pickup as I moved to US )

Btw I had submitted a 200km route (potential night brevet route) that went all around Pune and PCMC; to Divya back in 2015. Although she had appreciated the route, it never saw light as I/others never got around to recce it.
Old 15th August 2018, 05:51   #3807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree.

Also we didn't have the annual registration fees. Things were a lot simpler back then; land up early morning at the starting point, and you could just pay up and do the ride. Medals - you could order later (infact I need to collect a 2014 brevet medal that I paid for but couldn't pickup as I moved to US )

Btw I had submitted a 200km route (potential night brevet route) that went all around Pune and PCMC; to Divya back in 2015. Although she had appreciated the route, it never saw light as I/others never got around to recce it.
Yeah you are a proper old timer. I guess the scene started with Divya some time after 2010? I entered the scene only in November last year. One brevet led to another. You know how it is. Initially my ambitions were modest. I just wanted to one day be called a Randonneur.

Now I really want to add Super before that.

Spot registrations for rides are still there. You only have to pay extra. Lol

I don't think I've ever seen the route you're referring to among the Strava logs of any in my growing circle. What they do have is a new (relatively) 200 route called the Pune SEC (South Eastern Circuit) that goes a fast 60 km down Sholapur road, then veers right on to 80 km of rolling back roads and comes out at Khandala (Khambatki) and from there the 65 km run back to Pune.

Cheers, Doc
Old 15th August 2018, 07:28   #3808
BHPian

Happy Independence Day!

I've been going through this thread with much excitement over the past few days as I'm looking at getting a new or used bike for short to medium rides. If I'm still sticking with cycling, I may consider longer rides.
I've been looking at OLX for used cycles and came across a few -
Hybrids:
1. 2016 Bianchi C Sport 1 (asking 28k but is willing to sell for 20k)
2. 2018 Firefox Rapide 21s (18k, brand new)
MTBs:
1. 2014 GT aggressor 3.0 (asking 15k but I think there are issues with the rear wheel and likely had been replaced. It also uses a weird rear derailleur, Shagun - Shimano!)
2. 2017 RockRider 540 (asking 28k but negotiable)

My primary need will be for a hybrid so basically leaning towards the used Bianchi and the new Firefox Rapide 21s. I'm not sure how reliable Bianchi is and what might be the potential issues with a 2016 version. I came to know Firefox is now owned by Hero so not sure if Rapide 21s will have issues in terms of quality and spares. Does anyone have experience with either or suggestions?
If neither works, I may try the RR540 over the GT because its newer and I'm not sure of its history.
Old 15th August 2018, 09:20   #3809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah you are a proper old timer. I guess the scene started with Divya some time after 2010? I entered the scene only in November last year. One brevet led to another. You know how it is. Initially my ambitions were modest. I just wanted to one day be called a Randonneur.

Now I really want to add Super before that.
Haha - old timer, no no

Just someone who upgraded from daily rides to the brevet chapters when BRMs were getting noticed; in Pune, it used to be some core 10-12 odd people that you knew by names and faces, primarily motivated by Divya; and a similar (but larger) team at Mumbai primarily pivoted around Anil (Ulchil or more known as Anil Baba).

My brevet enthusiasms went down once I moved to the US; did one there; but found it extremely boring and lonely. I then gradually migrated to running (and doing half marathons) which is where I am currently.

Now I just stick at doing upto 100+ km rides over the weekend trying out new routes and challenges.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen the route you're referring to among the Strava logs of any in my growing circle. What they do have is a new (relatively) 200 route called the Pune SEC (South Eastern Circuit) that goes a fast 60 km down Sholapur road, then veers right on to 80 km of rolling back roads and comes out at Khandala (Khambatki) and from there the 65 km run back to Pune.
This is the route I had created. Most of the sections on this route I have ridden on separate rides.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2196461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
My primary need will be for a hybrid so basically leaning towards the used Bianchi and the new Firefox Rapide 21s.
Bianchi is a good option. Just test drive the bikes before deciding.
Old 15th August 2018, 17:54   #3810
Senior - BHPian

I have a 300K ride coming up on Saturday. This will be my first 300K although I have done a 400K already. Supposed to be an easy ride with only 8,000 ft of climbing. This will be my first brevet on the Diverge. Let's see how it goes.
I have ordered an Origin8 Eyelet stub so that I can mount my light down low at the braze-on rather than up high on the handlebar. This will let me mount a handlebar bag too.

Btw, have you guys tried relive.cc? You link your strava account with it and it makes a nice compact video of your ride. Here's mine from the last weekend:
Ride Around Towns

Most Viewed