Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2018, 20:57   #3811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Did my first 200 (simulated BRM) this year. After coming back from my injury.

Lots of climbing for a 200 (2000 meters - but even the downhills are rolling, so really there's little respite).

Had 3 other guys (roadies n a carbon Spesh hybrid) for company for the first 40 odd Kms till breakfast at Kamats (usually I stop first at the base of Khambatki at 75 km - but this felt better as the ride progressed).

It started pouring and the other guys turned back to Pune as was their original plan and I put on my Decathlon windcheater (another first this year - more than the wet it helps with the wind chill and keeps you comfortable) and moved ahead. It rained nearly the whole way, which was a blessing. I tend to overheat and hate the 1 to 4 pm zone where I always bonk bad in every brevet. This time I ride strong, and was pleased.

What also helped I guess was me putting the clock out of my mind and having a good chicken thali just before Khandala tunnel on the return (I could hear and feel my stomach rumbling and for a change did not ask it to shutup for some more time).

I think I'm getting stronger, though still nowhere as fast as my peak last season. But I was less tired today at the end at home, and what really pleased me greatly when I did my customary post bath Strava recap is that I got faster in the second half of the ride - where I got a lot of second and third bests but more importantly fastest of this year. This is different to my usual brevets where I shoot like a rocket first 100-200 Kms and then a small bunch (same everytime) of the slower fast guys catch me in the penultimate leg - from where we ride together till the sniff of the finish well ridden roads gives me my second wind and I shoot off again. Lol (one of these guys has named me Torpedo - which seems to have stuck).

Happy to have gotten this 200 out if the way. Seemed to have a mental block sort of thing last 4-5 weeks as for some reason or the other it wasn't happening.

The Bicycles thread-img_20180815_124301.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180815_124325.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180815_170157.jpg

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20180815205459786_com.strava.png

Jai Hind guys!

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Averaged about 21 kmph. Hope that picks up ....

Last edited by ebonho : 15th August 2018 at 20:58.
Old 15th August 2018, 20:58   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Bianchi is a good option. Just test drive the bikes before deciding.
Thank you, ninjatalli. I took your suggestion and got the Bianchi
Before that, I went to Pro Bikers, Chennai to see if they have anything in my budget. They recommended Bergamont Helix 1.5, which they offered for 23k+ accessories totaling Rs 26,500. However, the Bianchi C-Sport was coming with a lot of accessories (except a helmet and pouch) for 20k. What tilted it all was that Helix 1.5 was coming with Tourney while the C-Sport 1 was coming with Altus as rear derailleur and it also felt slightly lighter. However, I found rust on the chain and near the front wheel locking hub. Otherwise, it was in good shape. I struggled a bit to get the front wheel removed so I actually rode it to the nearest Track&Trail and they removed it for me. The cycle is now with the T&T shop nearest my home for a full service (Rs 850). I should get it back in 2-3 days.

The Bicycles thread-img_20180815_171634.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 00:25. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 15th August 2018, 21:04   #3813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
Thank you, ninjatalli. I took your suggestion and got the Bianchi
Before that, I went to Pro Bikers, Chennai to see if they have anything in my budget. They recommended Bergamont Helix 1.5, which they offered for 23k+ accessories totaling Rs 26,500. However, the Bianchi C-Sport was coming with a lot of accessories (except a helmet and pouch) for 20k. What tilted it all was that Helix 1.5 was coming with Tourney while the C-Sport 1 was coming with Altus as rear derailleur and it also felt slightly lighter. However, I found rust on the chain and near the front wheel locking hub. Otherwise, it was in good shape. I struggled a bit to get the front wheel removed so I actually rode it to the nearest Track&Trail and they removed it for me. The cycle is now with the T&T shop nearest my home for a full service (Rs 850). I should get it back in 2-3 days.
That's a neat looking bike. Surface rust is just an invitation to you to have something to do.

Congratulations!

Cheers, Doc
Old 15th August 2018, 23:24   #3814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's a neat looking bike. Surface rust is just an invitation to you to have something to do.

Congratulations!

Cheers, Doc
Thank you, Doc. Your Scott steed is a fine specimen as well. The Bianchi's previous owner left it unused for 6 months and that's the probable cause for the rust. And yes, I hope to use it and maintain it more often.
This has actually been a long journey in search of a two-wheeled passion--
starting from the Ninja 650, Ninja 300 to TVS Ntorq. But after a two-wheeler accident on a motor-powered two-wheeler, prime minister/home minister/home minister restricted my options to a non-motored version. Hence, the search for a two-wheeled steed. The prices of the ones I liked from Giant, Scott and Trek led me to believe this passion might be an option only for the well-heeled. But then it dawned on me that used cycles could probably be a more practical choice. I had actually zeroed in on a beautiful red Fuji Absolute 1.9 - 10km run, practically brand new copy. Finance Minister's stern warnings prevented me from taking ownership as it was beyond my budget by 3k (I already over shot my original budget of 10k by 100%). Anyways, my Italian steed is good in my books.
Old 15th August 2018, 23:35   #3815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
Finance Minister's stern warnings prevented me from taking ownership as it was beyond my budget by 3k (I already over shot my original budget of 10k by 100%). Anyways, my Italian steed is good in my books.
Good that you are happy.

IMO wrt money spent on hobby related expenses, this is the method I follow

1. Gather opinions from others and secondary research and come up with a budget (range)
2. Evaluate options at hand that fit within the budget; as well as look at the better options even if it goes way above the budget
3. Most important rule. Throw the budget out of the window and just buy the one that your heart tells you to do so The voice in your head? Hogwash.

Did that with my bikes; still do it with my running gear and will do that always

Edit: Looks like the bike has a gel seat(?); throw that in the bin. Useless accessory, if you ask me!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th August 2018 at 23:37.
Old 16th August 2018, 00:05   #3816
BHPian

Quote:
Good that you are happy.
LOL. I might get thrown out of the house along with the budget. I need to ensure I get my steed while keeping my house intact. Glad you are able to manage that.
Yeah, the gel seat gave some comfort during my 1km ride. I removed it when I gave it for the full service. They said it will take them 2-3 days. When it comes to my car, I usually stay in the service center and occasionally watch them do their work. I don't think I can do that in case of the cycle given the timelines. I'm just hoping they would do whatever is needed. Just a little worried if they might replace parts (now and in future). Maybe it's an unnecessary worry.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 00:26. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 16th August 2018, 10:43   #3817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Btw, have you guys tried relive.cc? You link your strava account with it and it makes a nice compact video of your ride. Here's mine from the last weekend:
Ride Around Towns
Yeah its good app and had installed it. But because of phone memory issues had to remove. Now only rely on strava.

Quote:
Did my first 200 (simulated BRM) this year. After coming back from my injury.

Lots of climbing for a 200 (2000 meters - but even the downhills are rolling, so really there's little respite).

Had 3 other guys (roadies n a carbon Spesh hybrid) for company for the first 40 odd Kms till breakfast at Kamats (usually I stop first at the base of Khambatki at 75 km - but this felt better as the ride progressed).

You did this ride yesterday? There was one ride planned to Khambhatki by Pedal Pushers group so possibly the guys you met were from that group.

Good Average
Old 16th August 2018, 14:29   #3818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Yeah its good app and had installed it. But because of phone memory issues had to remove. Now only rely on strava.

You did this ride yesterday? There was one ride planned to Khambhatki by Pedal Pushers group so possibly the guys you met were from that group.

Good Average
Thanks Amit.

These were actually friends I ride with. After we parted, I did not see another cyclist the whole way.

Cheers, Doc
Old 16th August 2018, 16:18   #3819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Relive is just to enjoy the video of your activity. It's awesome fun. You don't need the app. Once you have linked your strava to relive, the activities will be auto synced in the future and you will receive an email notification once the video is ready. You can watch the video by visiting the URL from chrome, no need of the app.
Old 16th August 2018, 22:42   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha - old timer, no no

Just someone who upgraded from daily rides to the brevet chapters when BRMs were getting noticed; in Pune, it used to be some core 10-12 odd people that you knew by names and faces, primarily motivated by Divya; and a similar (but larger) team at Mumbai primarily pivoted around Anil (Ulchil or more known as Anil Baba).

My brevet enthusiasms went down once I moved to the US; did one there; but found it extremely boring and lonely. I then gradually migrated to running (and doing half marathons) which is where I am currently.

Now I just stick at doing upto 100+ km rides over the weekend trying out new routes and challenges.

This is the route I had created. Most of the sections on this route I have ridden on separate rides.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2196461

Bianchi is a good option. Just test drive the bikes before deciding.
Sorry for the delay in replying buddy.

You began to find brevets boring. For me 200, max 250 Kms in a day is the sweet spot. Where you can enjoy the ride for a ride's sake, you your bike and the road. Cycling truly is a solo sport. No matter if you have a 200 guy peloton around you. Or just the motely crew that eventually pace marched towards the end of 250 km as the sun goes down and now band together for the night.

Once you pass that point, I am no longer in my comfort zone. It's then something you are trying to get over with. You are dreaming about your bed. Forget bed. I'm dreaming about just lying down flat on my back on the cold bare floor of my cycle work room under the fan. Lol

Crazy thoughts flash through your mind. You intermittently raise one butyock then the next. Just for a few seconds. As the blood flows back. The pain when you actually part with the saddle is something that comes first though. Some of your fingertips have permanently gone to sleep. To wake a few days later.You want to adjust one irritating tip of your chamois. But are afraid it will lay bare to your sweat a new world of raw pain, so you do a shuffle and adjust into the next most comfortable position for the next 20 or so kilometers.

During the 400 I actually enjoyed the post midnight hours more. Till the waves of sleep hit me around 4 a.m.

I'm going to sit down and brake a look and what I want to now do with my next phase with my Cannondale once (hopefully) this SR is done and dusted.

I find most cyclists eventually move to running. Don't know if the opposite is true as well. Running is something I can't do. So it will continue to be pedaling. Just maybe not as painful.

Cheers, Doc
Old 17th August 2018, 06:17   #3821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You began to find brevets boring. For me 200, max 250 Kms in a day is the sweet spot. Where you can enjoy the ride for a ride's sake, you your bike and the road. Cycling truly is a solo sport. No matter if you have a 200 guy peloton around you. Or just the motely crew that eventually pace marched towards the end of 250 km as the sun goes down and now band together for the night.
Actually for me, cycling, running or hiking are all solo sports; i.e. I am fully on my earphones in my zone most of the time. But the difference between a brevet/long distance ride in India as compared to the ones I did in Illinois and Wisconsin was the absence of interjections and conversations I could do out here.

In the brevets here, I rode alone most of the time; at times coupling up with a few folks for some 20-40 kms at most. But I took breaks; stopped and had juices/tea/snacks at roadside joints; crashed on public bus-stops and under trees or waterfalls & streams whenever I wanted to.

In the US, all I had were 7-11s and gas stations that were far and few; I could get only canned drinks and vending machine coffee. If I stopped under a tree/stream, I got asked by passing vehicles (in a good manner) if I needed help or 911 was to be called; which made me question doing it the next time or wonder if I was trespassing. There were times when I didn't see a single vehicle/house/person for 20-30 miles at a stretch. The rides that I did out there with groups; people were extremely friendly & helpful but very limited conversations. I actually didn't lose interest in biking, I just gradually switched to a more engaging sport.

On the other hand running provided me several luxuries over biking - I didn't need to prep up or depend on availability of a bike at hand. One of my peeves is I get bored by same route very quickly. I keep trying to visit new places; with biking earlier it was trying new trails, national parks; but there were limitations. Running gave me better options; I always carry my running shorts & shoes wherever I go. If I'm traveling, I just figure out a nearby trail/runningarea; do a ~10km run and have food at a popular breakfast joint/restaurant around that place and be done.

Also back in the US, I had this bucket list of doing popular half marathons in every major city/state. I used to drive/fly to that city over the weekend, do the run on Sunday and be back to work on Monday. I had covered most parts of the east coast - Indiana(Indianapolis), DC, North Carolina (Raleigh, Charlotte), Georgia (Atlanta), Florida (Miami), Pennsylvania (Philly, Pittsburgh), Virginia (Virginia Beach), Massachusetts (Boston), New York(NYC), NJ, Illinois (Chicago), Colorado (Denver) and others. Next on my list was mid-west; I had actually paid money for marathons in LA and Las Vegas that I had to skip when I came back home

Now continuing that bucket list out here in India and neighboring countries (UAE, Nepal, and so on).

Quote:
I find most cyclists eventually move to running. Don't know if the opposite is true as well. Running is something I can't do. So it will continue to be pedaling. Just maybe not as painful.

Cheers, Doc
Don't know if it's a pattern, but I think running is a sport that everyone eventually gets comfortable during their lifetime. Wrt to India, we are way way behind than the world wrt running. Give it a try, you'll get hooked eventually!

As for me, I do get on the saddle wherever possible - I keep oscillating been doing 100km weekend rides with a friend around Bombay since last two months, and also on work trips to Nepal (Nepal has a excellent bike rental scene that I plan to do more frequently next month)

Interesting conversation We should compare notes over a ride lol!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 17th August 2018 at 06:33.
Old 17th August 2018, 12:28   #3822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Relive is just to enjoy the video of your activity. It's awesome fun. You don't need the app. Once you have linked your strava to relive, the activities will be auto synced in the future and you will receive an email notification once the video is ready. You can watch the video by visiting the URL from chrome, no need of the app.
Ok must be a new development then. Last I used it there was an app. Will check it out. Thanks.

Quote:

You began to find brevets boring. For me 200, max 250 Kms in a day is the sweet spot. Where you can enjoy the ride for a ride's sake, you your bike and the road.

Cheers, Doc
By the way 300 BRM on 2nd is up for registration now

Quote:

Don't know if it's a pattern, but I think running is a sport that everyone eventually gets comfortable during their lifetime. Wrt to India, we are way way behind than the world wrt running. Give it a try, you'll get hooked eventually!
I want to start running now but somehow not able to push myself. Need to set some serious goal and start it.
Old 17th August 2018, 13:54   #3823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok must be a new development then. Last I used it there was an app. Will check it out. Thanks.

By the way 300 BRM on 2nd is up for registration now

I want to start running now but somehow not able to push myself. Need to set some serious goal and start it.
Yup, it's the nice n "easy" Krishna Confluence to Umbraj n back compared to the very grueling Strawberry Fields we did in December.

I'll probably do a simulated 300 on the same route solo next weekend. Hopefully (standard caveat nowadays).

I have to fit in a dummy 400 too before I travel to Belgium next month. Post the 18th I'll be traveling plus family commitments so my ramp up to the 600 and any possible training effectively ends then. With hopefully a warm up ride when I return on the 27th.

After that it is khodaiji and my bike and my body. I'm just gonna be along for the ride!

Cheers, Doc
Old 19th August 2018, 14:24   #3824
BHPian

Has anyone used a cycle helmet with visors? I saw a couple on Banggood and Amazon. Just wanted to know if anyone has any feedback.
I'm also looking at getting a decent headlight so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.
BTW, I got my C-Sport back from service and have gone for a couple of rides. It's so light and nimble that I rarely get tired. I'm a guy who loses his breath after a 100m race. I'm enjoying the riding experience so far.

Last edited by Content Reactor : 19th August 2018 at 14:28.
Old 19th August 2018, 22:13   #3825
Senior - BHPian

A nice brisk 150+ today to Lonavala and back via Chandani Chowk and the bypass.

Never experienced such strong and relentless headwinds as today for 50+km all the way leading into Lonavala. Bone flat gradient and still you are straining on the pedals as the bike is nearly forced into a standstill.

A short break of dosas and wadas at Ramakrishna and then a proper Konkan intensity deluge on the turnaround (was raining nearly the whole way anyway). Amazing sprint in waterfall type rain (roads and bikes sparkling clean) for the next 15-+ km to the Kamshet climb before dismounting to walk the bikes across the 2+ km broken stretch of the overpass under construction. Probably my fastest Lonavala return. With 4 PRs. And then a straightline ....

Reach home and find with a sinking sensation that Strava has switched off. Put it on and find the dreaded "recovered from unexpected problem" message - and Strava has straighlined me from before Kamshet all the way to Pune. And showing 136+ instead of the expected 155 odd Kms.

A sour end to a really nice ride. With three fast guys. And crazy weather.

The Bicycles thread-img20180819wa0044.jpg

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Big difference I'm finding this year compared to last is that my second 100s are stronger than the first.was the opposite last year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks